Flowers, Rare and Common

I have a few rose bushes, but they're not as beautiful as these.

0aa5c2828a6d1aa9f4638d2d3fd7f459.jpg

Beautiful. One of my neighbors was really talented at growing roses and had them in all different colors last year.

Everyone claims they're so easy to grow, and I've seen some bushes that are covered with blooms, but mine don't seem to want to put much effort. I feed them and water them regularly....maybe I need to spank them.

My neighbor used to spray hers down with something. I guess roses (around this area at least) are very prone to some kind of disease which appears as brown spots on the leaves.

Mine don't have brown spots on the leaves, but maybe I still need to spray them with something! They bloom alright, just not profusely like some other people's rosebushes.

I'm sure they probably have things at Home Depot or something that you could use. I don't know what she used, but I think it also helped repel insects and stuff. She moved a couple of years ago and gave me one of her rose bushes, but I killed it. :lol: I stick with the simple things now. We have a big squirrel problem around here too. They don't seem to bother with herbs, surprisingly, though.

I'll check it out....it could be something I'm not able to see. Some mites are microscopic.

Beautiful. One of my neighbors was really talented at growing roses and had them in all different colors last year.

Everyone claims they're so easy to grow, and I've seen some bushes that are covered with blooms, but mine don't seem to want to put much effort. I feed them and water them regularly....maybe I need to spank them.

My neighbor used to spray hers down with something. I guess roses (around this area at least) are very prone to some kind of disease which appears as brown spots on the leaves.

Mine don't have brown spots on the leaves, but maybe I still need to spray them with something! They bloom alright, just not profusely like some other people's rosebushes.

I'm sure they probably have things at Home Depot or something that you could use. I don't know what she used, but I think it also helped repel insects and stuff. She moved a couple of years ago and gave me one of her rose bushes, but I killed it. :lol: I stick with the simple things now. We have a big squirrel problem around here too. They don't seem to bother with herbs, surprisingly, though.

I'll check it out....it could be something I'm not able to see. Some mites are microscopic.

Neem oil is effective against mites and black spot. It's organic, but it's still toxic to bees so you have to be careful.

I found this one along the Lost Coast (Kings Range Nat. Conservation Area ) last September. I don't know what it's called.

img_0480.jpg

I found this one along the Lost Coast (Kings Range Nat. Conservation Area ) last September. I don't know what it's called.

img_0480.jpg

Mimulus. aka monkey flower.

They are in the scrophularacea family, which also incluses penstemon and snapdragons.

I think you're right.....they seem like a lot of work to try and grow them, though. And, there's different varieties.

Facts About The Monkey Flower Information For Growing And Care Of Monkey Flowers

img_0480.jpg

Mimulus. aka monkey flower.

They are in the scrophularacea family, which also incluses penstemon and snapdragons.

I think you're right.....they seem like a lot of work to try and grow them, though. And, there's different varieties.

Facts About The Monkey Flower Information For Growing And Care Of Monkey Flowers

That was not a particularly good article. The picture they showed was actually that of Diplacus auranticus (the nomenclature changed in fairly recent years from Mimulus auranticus) which is known as the shrubby monkey flower. It is a California native which absolutely resents the wet conditions the rest of the genus likes.

Most are not at all difficult to grow provided the ground is wet, though. If you have any decent nurseries near you (real nurseries and not discount stores), you might be able to find some in 6 packs for bedding out. The bedding strains expand the color range past yellow and into various shades of orange, rose, and white, often heavily splashed and streaked with multiple colors.

I found this on Pinterest....this variety more closely resembles the name it was given.

3e7278f6292f4c9f369119a15a940bde.jpg

I found this on Pinterest....this variety more closely resembles the name it was given.

These appear to be orchids rather than mimulus, though. Masdevallias, Draculas, Orchis and whatnot.

I think the monkey flower has many varieties and some don't look like any of the others...

Pinterest monkey flower - Google Search

No. Monkeyflower is the common name for the genus Mimulus. There are, indeed, different species thereof as well as seed strains within a couple of the genera. Orchids are not only in various completely different genera, but in a completely different family as well -- the orchidaceae rather than the scrophularaiceae. It isn't a mater of varieties buy of genera and families.

The pictures you showed are orchids. The genus Draculas, especially, is often referred to as Monkey Orchids, but these are not the same as monkeyflowers.

If you prefer to listen to some anonymous people at pinterest rather than somebody with a degree in the very field in question, however, you are certainly free to do so.

we get monkeyflowers in the summer, ranging from yellow to orange. they have sticky leaves and flowers.

These appear to be orchids rather than mimulus, though. Masdevallias, Draculas, Orchis and whatnot.

I think the monkey flower has many varieties and some don't look like any of the others...

Pinterest monkey flower - Google Search

No. Monkeyflower is the common name for the genus Mimulus. There are, indeed, different species thereof as well as seed strains within a couple of the genera. Orchids are not only in various completely different genera, but in a completely different family as well -- the orchidaceae rather than the scrophularaiceae. It isn't a mater of varieties buy of genera and families.

The pictures you showed are orchids. The genus Draculas, especially, is often referred to as Monkey Orchids, but these are not the same as monkeyflowers.

If you prefer to listen to some anonymous people at pinterest rather than somebody with a degree in the very field in question, however, you are certainly free to do so.

I see that there are orchids that are called "monkey flowers" and mimulus that are also called "monkey flowers" - both are beautiful and the orchid I pictured does indeed look more like a monkey than any of the mimulus I was able to find.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm not an expert by any means on the many different flowers other than the most common which I am able to grow, I was just going by what they were referred to in that particular picture.

I have this plant, which my nephew nicknamed "crazy plant" because it grows rather weird. It looks sort of like a cactus, but its blooms only open up at night. Sometimes I miss it, and only see the flower after it starts to wilt. I do have a picture of my plant when it bloomed, I'll try to remember to load it up to Photobucket so I can post it here. It's actually called night blooming cereus.

8c2e8d66a3c8088dc8ec5bc0c264dff6.jpg

Forum List

Back