Former Kentucky Clerk In Gay Marriage Case Must Pay Additonal $260K.

You’re right, I don’t get to make that call, but I get to voice my opinion, just as you. I still think this is wrong…the judgement is excessive
It would have been if she wasn’t given multiple chances to do the right thing. I guarantee the next person will think twice before putting their religion above the duties they were elected to carry out. Maybe she can beg for money from like minded people to help her pay off her mistake

Ahh, so this isn’t about “justice”, it’s about “teaching that woman a lesson she won’t forget”

Damned be the law, let’s just “get her!”

I have no problem with her paying the price as measured by what is fair and just, but your whole notion of “we have to make them learn a lesson” really seems more about a personal feeling rather than what’s right in the eyes of the law.

I suppose you’re entitled to your own opinion though. This is a free country.
What's right in the eyes of law is treating gay couples seeking marriage licenses equally to straight ones. This dumb bitch refused to do that and got educated. Why should I feel bad about that?

What's right in the eyes of law is treating gay couples seeking marriage licenses equally to straight ones. This dumb bitch refused to do that and got educated. Why should I feel bad about that?

I don’t expect you to feel anything, that’s not my goal, I simply think the price exacted does not fit the infraction.

How you feel personally is none of my business, I’m not here to try and tell you how you should feel, just here to state my thoughts on the matter

I don’t expect you to feel anything, that’s not my goal, I simply think the price exacted does not fit the infraction.

How you feel personally is none of my business, I’m not here to try and tell you how you should feel, just here to state my thoughts on the matter
Agree to disagree then. I think it's perfectly fine price to pay for violating someone's civil rights and to send a message to other would be bigots. Remember, this dumb bitch was celebrated by the GOP. A slap on the wrist would be to meek a reply for their emboldened celebrations.

The former Kentucky clerk who refused to grant a gay couple a marriage license must pay an additional $260,104 to the couple, a federal judge ruled last week.

David Ermold and David Moore sued former Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis in 2015 after she declined to issue the couple a marriage license because doing so would violate “God’s definition of marriage” and her religious beliefs as a Christian.

The additional fees Davis must pay are on top of the $100,000 in damages she was ordered to pay Ermold and Moore in September after losing the lawsuit the couple brought.
Another win for the good guys.

Question…

Where these personal judgements against Davis or were they positional awards in her capacity as County Clerk?

If positional it’s the County paying the award.

WW

Sounds like the county court clerk is paid to process forms issued, collect fees for the county /state and serve all the citizens, not set county government policy on marriage. Go figure.:dunno:
Ms. Davis was an Elected official, not an employee at all.

Sounds like the county court clerk is paid to process forms issued, collect fees for the county /state and serve all the citizens, not set county government policy on marriage. Go figure.:dunno:
If she had been fired I could accept that

But the punishment is excessive and politically driven

She should have just done her job and none of this would be an issue
The thing for people like her to remember is that when the MAGA Media starts bringing lawyers and protests in your support you are going to get screwed, screwed hard, and screwed again.

They should consider if the 15 minutes is with losing reputation, friends, colleagues, family and all they own.

No one did anything to her, as they like to say when a woman is raped, "she asked for it."

Embrace deviancy or be punished
Do the job you were elected to do and leave your personal crap at home.
OR
Resign.

Where's all those MAGA types that were supporting her back then?
Why aren't they stepping up to cover this?

That's the lesson.
Get in bed with MAGA and you will get screwed but you won't get kissed.

They should have just fired her. Stripping her of all wealth is overdoing it.
She was an elected official.
An elected official who chose to abuse her authority.
Who did so to harm two innocent people.

Where are all her MAGA supporters now that she needs them?

She was an elected official.
An elected official who chose to abuse her authority.
Who did so to harm two innocent people.

Where are all her MAGA supporters now that she needs them?

How did her actions harm anyone?

The bumbuddies still engaged in sodomy and had an opportunity to mock marriage elsewhere.

If she had been fired I could accept that

But the punishment is excessive and politically driven
Her actions were politically drive.
This is driven by her illegal actions and the law.

There is a difference.

How did her actions harm anyone?

The bumbuddies still engaged in sodomy and had an opportunity to mock marriage elsewhere.
She denied to them their legal rights based solely on their respective genders.

Perhaps get your mind out of peoples' butts and looked at the law instead?

Forum List

Back