Four senators sold stocks before coronavirus threat crashed market

Get ready for a new king...

we shall see, and if Trump exceeds Obozo I will be the first to criticize him for it.

where were you when obama added 9 trillion to our debt? yeah, silent.

He is adding debt faster than Obama did, and that was in a booming economy....just wait till the recession starts.

We shall see. But no one has had something like corona before. so what are the options? let the economy crash, or print more fake money to prop it up? I don't like either option but there are no others, do you have some brilliant solution?
Well we could afford a bailout better if he hadn’t been spending like we were in recession during a good economy.

same question for you as I asked gator, what line items would you have cut in the last 3 years?

you libs claim to be fiscal conservatives now, but you were liberal spenders when obama was in the white house.

hypocrisy much?

I have been speaking out against deficit spending since the days of Reagan. The debt is one of many reasons I rank Obama as the 2nd worst POTUS ever.

Senator Richard Burr Warned Of Coronavirus Effects In Private Meeting - Intelligence Chairman Raised Virus Alarms Weeks Ago, Secret Recording Shows

So, Burr let the fat cats know what was coming while the rest of us were being treated like mushrooms...kept in the dark and fed bullshit.
I see you failed to mention Dianne feinstein how interesting

As far as I know she did not tell her donors about the dangers while hiding it from the rest of the nation. But I did later mention her for selling stocks, once I found out about it.

Do try and keep up.

" Richard Burr, head of the Senate Intelligence Committee which was directly briefed on coronavirus, sold up to $1.7m in stock between January and February
  • Dianne Feinstein, on the same committee, sold up to $6m in stock in same period
  • Kelly Loeffler, on the Senate Health Committee, sold up to $3.1m in stock starting on the day her committee was briefed by the CDC
  • James Inhofe sold up to $400k in stocks including real estate all on January 27
Four senators dumped millions of dollars worth of stock while Capitol Hill was being briefed on the threat of coronavirus but before the markets tanked as infections soared, disclosure records have revealed.

Republicans Richard Burr, Kelly Loeffler and James Inhofe and Democrat Dianne Feinstein collectively offloaded up to $11million in stock between late January and early February, according to records seen by The Daily Beast, New York Times and ProPublica.

Burr, chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee that was directly briefed on coronavirus, sold up to $1.7million in stock including in hotels, according to reporting from ProPublica.

Four senators dumped millions in stocks before coronavirus crash | Daily Mail Online

Surely you Progs want the book thrown at these folks....right?

Well let's see, three Republicans and a Democrat. Gotta be a joke line in there somewhere. So it isn't just progs? Yep, greed and avarice cross party lines who'da thunk?
Insider trading is a violation of SEC rules. If found guilty, requisite punishment will be dealt...regardless of party affiliation.

I will credit you mentioning Feinstein, in most prior posts on this subject left-wingers either ignored her or downplayed it while attacking the 3 Republicans.

I can’t help but wonder; if Burr were a Mexicrat would self proclaimed “Righty” Gator have allowed his Lefty typing fingers to post this thread?

Of course I would have, i do not give a fuck about party, I leave that up to the sheep like you.

Senator Richard Burr Warned Of Coronavirus Effects In Private Meeting - Intelligence Chairman Raised Virus Alarms Weeks Ago, Secret Recording Shows

So, Burr let the fat cats know what was coming while the rest of us were being treated like mushrooms...kept in the dark and fed bullshit.

As far as I know she did not tell her donors about the dangers while hiding it from the rest of the nation. But I did later mention her for selling stocks, once I found out about it.

Do try and keep up.
No what she did was sell stock before it was made known to the public

Do try and keep up.

Yes, I know. When I made this thread I did not know about her or even this guy doing so.

This thread was about him giving inside information to his donors while the US public was being told something else.

The title was meant to be a play on words, little did I know it was going to prophetic.

I can’t help but wonder; if Burr were a Mexicrat would self proclaimed “Righty” Gator have allowed his Lefty typing fingers to post this thread?

Of course I would have, i do not give a fuck about party, I leave that up to the sheep like you.
stop lying Dianne feinstein did the same f****** thing

stop lying Dianne feinstein did the same f****** thing

Yes I know, and after I found that out I posted about it as well.

Do try and keep up.

Yes, I know. When I made this thread I did not know about her or even this guy doing so.

This thread was about him giving inside information to his donors while the US public was being told something else. I do wonder why people like you do not have a problem with him doing so

The title was meant to be a play on words, little did I know it was going to prophetic.

{searched for any mention of this in Congress Forum, found none}

Pro Publica:

>> Soon after he offered public assurances that the government was ready to battle the coronavirus, the powerful chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $628,000 and $1.72 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 33 separate transactions.

As the head of the intelligence committee, Burr, a North Carolina Republican, has access to the government’s most highly classified information about threats to America’s security. His committee was receiving daily coronavirus briefings around this time, according to a Reuters story.

A week after Burr’s sales, the stock market began a sharp decline and has lost about 30% since.

On Thursday, Burr came under fire after NPR obtained a secret recording from Feb. 27, in which the lawmaker gave a VIP group at an exclusive social club a much more dire preview of the economic impact of the coronavirus than what he had told the public.

... According to the NPR report, Burr told attendees of the luncheon held at the Capitol Hill Club: “There’s one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history ... It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.”

He warned that companies might have to curtail their employees’ travel, that schools could close and that the military might be mobilized to compensate for overwhelmed hospitals.

Burr’s public comments had been considerably less dire. In a Feb. 7 op-ed that he co-authored with another senator, he assured the public that “the United States today is better prepared than ever before to face emerging public health threats, like the coronavirus.” He wrote, “No matter the outbreak or threat, Congress and the federal government have been vigilant in identifying gaps in its readiness efforts and improving its response capabilities.” <<​

How conveeeeeenient.

This klown should resign at the minimum. I don't need corruption representing my state.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

Pro Publica:

>> Soon after he offered public assurances that the government was ready to battle the coronavirus, the powerful chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $628,000 and $1.72 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 33 separate transactions.

As the head of the intelligence committee, Burr, a North Carolina Republican, has access to the government’s most highly classified information about threats to America’s security. His committee was receiving daily coronavirus briefings around this time, according to a Reuters story.

A week after Burr’s sales, the stock market began a sharp decline and has lost about 30% since.

On Thursday, Burr came under fire after NPR obtained a secret recording from Feb. 27, in which the lawmaker gave a VIP group at an exclusive social club a much more dire preview of the economic impact of the coronavirus than what he had told the public.

... According to the NPR report, Burr told attendees of the luncheon held at the Capitol Hill Club: “There’s one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history ... It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.”

He warned that companies might have to curtail their employees’ travel, that schools could close and that the military might be mobilized to compensate for overwhelmed hospitals.

Burr’s public comments had been considerably less dire. In a Feb. 7 op-ed that he co-authored with another senator, he assured the public that “the United States today is better prepared than ever before to face emerging public health threats, like the coronavirus.” He wrote, “No matter the outbreak or threat, Congress and the federal government have been vigilant in identifying gaps in its readiness efforts and improving its response capabilities.” <<​

How conveeeeeenient.

This klown should resign at the minimum. I don't need corruption representing my state.

I researched this news organization and found them to be a let to center truthful reporting organization who researches their information well before they report it and will do retractions if needed.

Pro Publica:

How conveeeeeenient.

The information was given during a private security meeting that feinstein had been a part of.

Pro Publica:

How conveeeeeenient.

The information was given during a private security meeting that feinstein had been a part of.

That doesn't change the fact that he used that information for a huge stock sell off. That's a felony.

Pro Publica:

How conveeeeeenient.

I researched this news organization and found them to be a let to center truthful reporting organization who researches their information well before they report it and will do retractions if needed.

Pro Publica is a good-government advocacy org, not a news org per se. And they cite/link their sources.

I figured this story should be in the "Congress" forum so that's where I put it. Guess USMB could merge a thread but can't figure out how to put it in the proper forum. :dunno:

>> Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) tweeted Friday that members of Congress should not be allowed to own individual stock following reports that multiple senators had sold off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stocks before Wall Street collapsed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are here to serve the public, not to profiteer. It’s shocking that it’s even been allowed up to this point,” Ocasio-Cortez said. << --- The Hill
Sounds reasonable. Actually it's way more lenient than what I would do, which would be to sequester Congresscritters in a dorm facility with meals and living expenses provided, in lieu of salary, and prohibited from communicating with anyone except family, constituents, and each other. Let 'em figure out what the term "public service" means. And see how many of them want to re-run for the same seat again. If they do, then we know they're there for the right reasons.

Pro Publica:

How conveeeeeenient.

Pro Publica is a good-government advocacy org, not a news org per se. And they cite/link their sources.

I figured this story should be in the "Congress" forum so that's where I put it. Guess USMB could merge a thread but can't figure out how to put it in the proper forum. :dunno:

>> Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) tweeted Friday that members of Congress should not be allowed to own individual stock following reports that multiple senators had sold off hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stocks before Wall Street collapsed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are here to serve the public, not to profiteer. It’s shocking that it’s even been allowed up to this point,” Ocasio-Cortez said. << --- The Hill
Sounds reasonable. Actually it's way more lenient than what I would do, which would be to sequester Congresscritters in a dorm facility with meals and living expenses provided, in lieu of salary, and prohibited from communicating with anyone except family, constituents, and each other. Let 'em figure out what the term "public service" means. And see how many of them want to re-run for the same seat again. If they do, then we know they're there for the right reasons.

I was answering your response when it went poof. It is more than a little irritating. Glad you reposted it.

Pro Publica:

How conveeeeeenient.

Actually I don't think Feinstein was in that meeting, but it doesn't affect the original point, does it. Feinstein is not your Senator and not my Senator. Aaron Burr, however, IS. And he needs to be booted.

Last edited:
" Richard Burr, head of the Senate Intelligence Committee which was directly briefed on coronavirus, sold up to $1.7m in stock between January and February
  • Dianne Feinstein, on the same committee, sold up to $6m in stock in same period
  • Kelly Loeffler, on the Senate Health Committee, sold up to $3.1m in stock starting on the day her committee was briefed by the CDC
  • James Inhofe sold up to $400k in stocks including real estate all on January 27
Four senators dumped millions of dollars worth of stock while Capitol Hill was being briefed on the threat of coronavirus but before the markets tanked as infections soared, disclosure records have revealed.

Republicans Richard Burr, Kelly Loeffler and James Inhofe and Democrat Dianne Feinstein collectively offloaded up to $11million in stock between late January and early February, according to records seen by The Daily Beast, New York Times and ProPublica.

Burr, chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee that was directly briefed on coronavirus, sold up to $1.7million in stock including in hotels, according to reporting from ProPublica.

Four senators dumped millions in stocks before coronavirus crash | Daily Mail Online

Surely you Progs want the book thrown at these folks....right?

Well let's see, three Republicans and a Democrat. Gotta be a joke line in there somewhere. So it isn't just progs? Yep, greed and avarice cross party lines who'da thunk?
Insider trading is a violation of SEC rules. If found guilty, requisite punishment will be dealt...regardless of party affiliation.

Unlike a Prog I support the equal enforcement of the Law.

Forum List

Back