🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Four Supreme Court Justices Summarize How June's Gay-Marriage Decision Was Improper/Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the five are the ones that ignored the majority, faghadist marriage was defeated at the polls in the vast majority of the States that voted on it, including CA.
Where did you receive your degree in Constitutional Law?

Read Article 1 Section 8, if you have any questions see the 10th Amendment. That tells you all you need to know, the federal government is supposed to limited in their scope, that includes the supreme court. And bastardizing subsequent amendments for purposes they were never intended to address is no excuse to violate the Constitution. It's so simple a third grader could easily understand it.
Have someone explain to you the difference between powers and rights. Article I, Section 8 and the Tenth address what "powers" the states have. In exercising those powers, however, the state cannot pass laws that conflict with the constitution. Google Supremacy Clause if you don't know what that is true. The 14th Amendment prohibits the states from passing laws that deny equal protection to all citizens. It also prohibits states from depriving citizens or their right to liberty without due process. The right to liberty includes the right to make important decisions about one's life without the government intruding.

The 14th was designed to address problems with freed slaves, do you really believe the framers of the 14th envisioned it would be used to redefine marriage more than a 100 years later, you think they might have rephrased it if they had.

And since you brought up the 14th, when are you going to fight for my right to carry a firearm in all 50 States and our territories. Aren't they denying me liberty and my right to bear arms as confirmed in the 2nd Amendment, without due process? Or is the 14th only a good thing when it's used for regressive causes?
The 14th Amendment, according to those who wrote it and supported it, was designed to assure that no states could deny to citizens of the United States the rights and privilege of being a citizen. It was intended to assure that all laws applied equally to all citizens. The notion that it only applied to freed slaves is belied by the very debates that were had over it. They discussed whether it would apply to the Chinese in California.

You still haven't explained how men and women were being treated differently by marriage laws.

Read Article 1 Section 8, if you have any questions see the 10th Amendment. That tells you all you need to know, the federal government is supposed to limited in their scope, that includes the supreme court. And bastardizing subsequent amendments for purposes they were never intended to address is no excuse to violate the Constitution. It's so simple a third grader could easily understand it.
Have someone explain to you the difference between powers and rights. Article I, Section 8 and the Tenth address what "powers" the states have. In exercising those powers, however, the state cannot pass laws that conflict with the constitution. Google Supremacy Clause if you don't know what that is true. The 14th Amendment prohibits the states from passing laws that deny equal protection to all citizens. It also prohibits states from depriving citizens or their right to liberty without due process. The right to liberty includes the right to make important decisions about one's life without the government intruding.

The 14th was designed to address problems with freed slaves, do you really believe the framers of the 14th envisioned it would be used to redefine marriage more than a 100 years later, you think they might have rephrased it if they had.

And since you brought up the 14th, when are you going to fight for my right to carry a firearm in all 50 States and our territories. Aren't they denying me liberty and my right to bear arms as confirmed in the 2nd Amendment, without due process? Or is the 14th only a good thing when it's used for regressive causes?
The 14th Amendment, according to those who wrote it and supported it, was designed to assure that no states could deny to citizens of the United States the rights and privilege of being a citizen. It was intended to assure that all laws applied equally to all citizens. The notion that it only applied to freed slaves is belied by the very debates that were had over it. They discussed whether it would apply to the Chinese in California.

You still haven't explained how men and women were being treated differently by marriage laws.

Really? You're THAT obtuse?

We used to restrict marriage based on race. It was wrong and was changed (against public opinion).

We used to restrict marriage based on gender. It was wrong and was changed. (Public opinion approves)

So you want to pick and choose what the 14th Amendment protects, but you don't want others to do the same.

Right back at ya hero. You seem to think the 14th can't be selectively applied and the 2nd can. You can't have it both ways.
How can you selectively apply the 14th amendment when it applies to all American citizens?

You still haven't demonstrated how it was selectively applied, marriage laws treated all men and women equally, there was no discrimination based on sex.

So you want to pick and choose what the 14th Amendment protects, but you don't want others to do the same.

Right back at ya hero. You seem to think the 14th can't be selectively applied and the 2nd can. You can't have it both ways.
How can you selectively apply the 14th amendment when it applies to all American citizens?

You still haven't demonstrated how it was selectively applied, marriage laws treated all men and women equally, there was no discrimination based on sex.

Yes there was.

You, a man could marry a woman.

Bodecea, a woman, could not marry a woman.

Bod was being denied a right that you had because she was a woman.

How can you selectively apply the 2nd amendment when it applies to all American citizens?

Really? You're THAT obtuse?

We used to restrict marriage based on race. It was wrong and was changed (against public opinion).

We used to restrict marriage based on gender. It was wrong and was changed. (Public opinion approves)

Actually the genders were treated equally under marriage laws, so your incorrect on that.

The Supreme Court was appealed to for legal decisions by citizens who were not being treated equally by the law in their states. Are you going to assert that the Supreme Court does not have jurisdiction in such cases?

Considering they were being treated the same as their genetic equals, your claim is a lie. Government have been defining acceptable behavior from the first government ever instituted. So no, the court does not have the authority to overturn accepted behavioral law just because someone doesn't like it.
They were not being treated equally. And the Court certainly does have the authority to overturn laws that intrude into the most intimate relationships people have. What problem do you folks have with the concept of liberty? With the concept that when it comes to important, personal and intimate decisions, like who to have sex with, whether to use contraception, whether to undergo a medical procedure, who to marry? Why do you want the government involved in that? Mind your own fucking business.

I will, just like you mind your own business when I decide to own or carry a firearm. You want to grant rights based on behavior, how about we just let nudist do their thing anywhere they please, after all their not infringing on anyone else, so what's the compelling government interest in requiring clothing? I can come up with thousands of behaviors that don't harm anyone that you can be arrested for, what make faghadist behavior so special?
Nudity in public is usually considered illegal. You are welcome to work to get that legally changed. Good luck to you in your endeavor.

How can you selectively apply the 2nd amendment when it applies to all American citizens?
I don't. Who said I do?

They aren't.....anymore.

The same reason we don't allow the 1st amendment to protect child pornography.

Yes there was.

Right, she could marry any man she chose, so in fact there was no discrimination because it was applied equally to both genders.

From this link: http://www.nationaljournal.com/s/25...nst-supreme-courts-huge-gay-marriage-decision
Chief Justice John Roberts
Roberts’s argument centered around the need to preserve states’ rights rather than follow the turn of public opinion. In ruling in favor of gay marriage, he said, “Five lawyers have closed the debate and enacted their own vision of marriage as a matter of constitutional law.”

Justice Antonin Scalia
According to Scalia, the majority ruling represents a “judicial Putsch.”
Scalia wrote that while he has no personal opinions on whether the law should allow same-sex marriage, he feels very strongly that it is not the place of the Supreme Court to decide.
“Until the courts put a stop to it, public debate over same-sex marriage displayed American democracy at its best,” Scalia wrote. “But the Court ends this debate
, in an opinion lacking even a thin veneer of law.”

Justice Clarence Thomas
Thomas, echoing a grievance expressed by many conservative politicians, also lamented that the Supreme Court’s decision is enshrining a definition of marriage into the Constitution in a way that puts it “beyond the reach of the normal democratic process for the entire nation.”

Justice Samuel Alito
Alito also reaffirmed his position that there is no way to confirm what the outcome of gay marriage may be on the institution of traditional marriage, and therefore the Court is and should not be in a position to take on the topic...“At present, no one—including social scientists, philosophers, and historians—can predict with any certainty what the long-term ramifications of widespread acceptance of same-sex marriage will be. And judges are certainly not equipped to make such an assessment,” Alito wrote. Alito said that traditional marriage has existed between a man and woman for one key reason: children.

And as to that last point by Justice Alito: Should Kids Have Had Representation at the Marriage-Contract Revision Hearing? | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Now, I'm not a super powerful lawyer but it seems to me there may be simple contract case law that says if a contract is up for radical revision, the parties who are tacitly signed on to that contract, like children or the states that look after them as future citizens, must have representation at the revision-table.

Not only did that not happen for children and the states' interest in protecting them and their own fiscal future directly impacted by what happens to them growing up, but when adult children raised in gay homes submitted amicus briefs to that revision tribunal, the tribunal (The Fascist-Five) flatly ignored their pleas that they longed for both a mother and father in their home; and that longing damaged them.

Not one word that I know of in June's Opinion addressed these contract parties' concerns. Nor were there attorneys present at the hearing as guardians ad litem for childrens' voices at the table. The most important parties to the marriage contract were systematically barred from the table discussing its radical revision. Not only would contract case law come into play here, but also federal child endangerment statutes. Neglecting to allow a child's voice to cry out in protest is still neglect.

Thomas writes further:

“In our society, marriage is not simply a governmental institution; it is a religious institution as well,” Thomas wrote. “Today’s decision might change the former, but it cannot change the latter. It appears all but inevitable that the two will come into conflict, particularly as individuals and churches are confronted with demands to participate in and endorse civil marriages between same-sex couples.”

And what do you know? Several cases are on their way back to the Court in less than 6 months time on that precise loggerhead of Law. The crap will really hit the fan when Chuck & Dave go to suing a catholic adoption agency for refusing to adopt little boys to them.
That's nice. Every Supreme Court decision except for unanimous ones have written dissenting opinions.

While true, it's convenient apologetics to pull that out when a ruling goes the way one likes.

Honesty tells us that, accept for those unanimous decisions, all of the "laws of the land" could have just as easily went the other direction had one or two Justices swung the other way.

Which is exactly why I think it's more than a little bit silly for a law, that took (how many?) hundreds members of Congress, 100 Senators and a President to pass it, only takes 5 old geezers to shoot it down.

Yes we have the closest thing to perfect as a government can be, and I love it....
But that little nugget has always bugged me.

The Supreme Court was appealed to for legal decisions by citizens who were not being treated equally by the law in their states. Are you going to assert that the Supreme Court does not have jurisdiction in such cases?

Considering they were being treated the same as their genetic equals, your claim is a lie. Government have been defining acceptable behavior from the first government ever instituted. So no, the court does not have the authority to overturn accepted behavioral law just because someone doesn't like it.
They were not being treated equally. And the Court certainly does have the authority to overturn laws that intrude into the most intimate relationships people have. What problem do you folks have with the concept of liberty? With the concept that when it comes to important, personal and intimate decisions, like who to have sex with, whether to use contraception, whether to undergo a medical procedure, who to marry? Why do you want the government involved in that? Mind your own fucking business.

I will, just like you mind your own business when I decide to own or carry a firearm. You want to grant rights based on behavior, how about we just let nudist do their thing anywhere they please, after all their not infringing on anyone else, so what's the compelling government interest in requiring clothing? I can come up with thousands of behaviors that don't harm anyone that you can be arrested for, what make faghadist behavior so special?
Nudity in public is usually considered illegal. You are welcome to work to get that legally changed. Good luck to you in your endeavor.

Why, after all it's based on a behavior that a certain group wishes to engage in, aren't they being discriminated against? You also didn't answer my question on what makes the faghadist behavior so special.

I don't. Who said I do?

So you would have no problem with everyone who is legally entailed to own a gun carrying it in any State they please?

They aren't.....anymore.

They weren't before. You just refuse to admit it.

Expand on that thought please.

Yes there was.

Right, she could marry any man she chose, so in fact there was no discrimination because it was applied equally to both genders.

No it wasn't. The Court set the precedent when they decided that interracial marriage was an equal right,

despite the fact that at the time miscegenation laws applied equally to both blacks and whites.

They aren't.....anymore.

They weren't before. You just refuse to admit it.

Same sex marriage is form of marriage that homosexuals choose.

To allow heterosexuals the right to their chosen form of marriage but to not allow homosexuals the same right was discriminatory.

Yes there was.

The state of Virginia tried that same argument about interracial marriage......didn't work then either. In fact, the Justices laughed out loud when it was presented as a serious argument. Why do you think the lawyers fighting Obergefell didn't use your brilliant argument in front of the Supremes?

Expand on that thought please.

Does the 1st Amendment make an explicit exception for the publication of child pornography when it says that freedom of the press cannot be abridged?

If not (since it doesn't) where does that exception come from?

Why is it legitimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back