fox news ratings tank

because it lies to the American people

All of them do and you know it. Speaking of lying to the American people did you catch that bullshit from Obama and Clinton concerning Libya? Geez, those two can spin some whoppers!

I really thought all cable news would see a bit of decline after the interest in the election declined, but I'm not see any slippage anywhere. Am I missing something?

January 25, 2012 - Nielson Ratings

Total Day:
FNC 1334
CNN 442
MSNBC 613
CNBC 183
FBN 58
HLN 231

Primetime:
FNC 2784
CNN 692
MSNBC 1180
CNBC 263
FBN 55
HLN 419

Cable News Ratings for Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

January 20, 2011 - Nielson Ratings

Total Day:
FNC 1098
CNN 334
MSNBC 416
CNBC 161
HLN 240

Primetime:
FNC 1918
CNN 451
MSNBC 870
CNBC 165
HLN 414

Cable News Ratings for Thursday, January 20, 2011; Piers Morgan Night #4 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

People needed a break after the election. Things will be back to normal soon enough. This is a complete non-issue.

Yes and no. Yes it is a non-issue since all ratings measure is attention (not assent) so all this affects is how much FNC can charge for its ad time. Doesn't mean anything ideologically.

On the other hand, no it's not really a non-issue at least for them, since FNC's ratings have been dropping not just the last quarter, but for a couple of years. It's a trend, and they will have to address that.

Four years ago, Obama's presidency translated into ratings gold for Fox News, aided in part by the arrival of Glenn Beck, the Tea Party and Fox's full-on embrace of the fringe. Four years later though, that passion seems to have been replaced by indifference.

Or maybe the ratings drop-off stems from hard feelings. Maybe tuned-out Fox viewers feel like they were duped on Election Night. Led by the channel to believe the country suffered a severe case of buyers remorse and would vote Obama office at the first possible opportunity, Fox faithful were forced not only to watch the Democrat post an another election victory, but do it with ease. In other words, almost nothing Fox News had told its aging* viewers about the state of the campaign, or about the state of the country, was accurate.
-- Where's Roger Ailes' Magic Touch?

* In a survey released by analyst Steve Sternberg, Fox News has the oldest audience among fully distributed cable networks. The network's average viewer last season was 65 years old, according to Nielsen. Heck, it's viewers are even older than viewers of Hallmark Channel, Military Channel and Golf Channel. -- Fox News has Oldest Cable Audience

Here's an example of how Fox's ratings have tanked since 8/10/09, O'Reilly's audience vs. MSNBC's 8p.m. opponent.

8/10/09............3,814,000(O'R)................1,243,000(MSNBC)

1/16/13............3,356,000(O'R)................1,020,000(MSNBC)

For 16 dates between 8/09 and 1/13 I've keep a file of some of the cable news rankings periodically posted on Drudge, that's 16 O'Reilly audiences vs. 15 MSNBC audiences, simply because Drudge omitted the 8pm MSNBC slot in its 9/18/12 posting.

O'Reilly's 16-night average audience size...3,328,000 (vs. 3,356,000 on 1/16/13)

MSNBC's 15-night average audience size...1,063,000 (vs. 1,020,000 on 1/16/13)

O'R's 16-nights high/low audiences:

4,039.000 / 2.523,000

MSNBC's 15-nights high/low audiences:

1,395,000 / 865,000

And while Fox is inflicting such ratings carnage on competitor MSNBC and others, the lefty nutjobs find one ratings report in which Fox did not dominate in one particular demographic group, and it's time - once again!!! - to bang the drum about how bad Fox is doing in the ratings overall. For them it's a gift they know their low information doorknobs will lap up, misconstruing it that Fox is really really in trouble this time. Wonder if Truthmatters and that ilk will ever figure it out?

And while Fox is inflicting such ratings carnage on competitor MSNBC and others, the lefty nutjobs find one ratings report in which Fox did not dominate in one particular demographic group, and it's time - once again!!! - to bang the drum about how bad Fox is doing in the ratings overall. For them it's a gift they know their low information doorknobs will lap up, misconstruing it that Fox is really really in trouble this time. Wonder if Truthmatters and that ilk will ever figure it out?

Fox has been in decline in an overall pattern. Again it's got nothing to do with "low or high information", since information is not the business they're in. The overall pattern prolly has a lot to do with its demographics... old white men. The oldest audience on cable TV; they're literally dying off. In a microcosm they have the same fade-to-irrelevance problem the RP encountered in the last election ...when they both floundered and tried to bail out a sinking ship with Rovian math.

:lol: Fox has been a source of derision since the day they were created.....I have watched at several sites the lambasting of anyone who dared post the ratings as Fox crushed everyone around them, they were just ConLand Loony tune nutters as viewers etc....Obama playing dirty to diminish them was met with glee etc etc...they weren't REAL News they were Faux News....I have read umpteen posts on how the ratings were BS, the networks still rule, fox aint real, the ratings mean squat anyway blah blah blah ....

Oh wait the there ratings are dropping in a demographic or flattened out? But they are still crushing the others? Nope don't matter, here we come!!!!!l ike a pack of slobbering rabid dogs you're all over this? :lol:

While the business of ALL news programming is to generate ratings and thereby attract advertisers, I strongly disagree that Fox does not do competent news programming.

However, many on the left are so resentful of FNC's success and so desperate to believe that it will fail that a lot of propaganda is fed to the gullible who want to believe the worst of Fox News. It has an all geezer audience. It's audience is less informed. It's audience has a lower IQ. Yadda yadda. All debunked.

Fox News IQ Article: Fake Story Claims Fox News Viewers Have Average IQ of 80

I doubt there has been a huge change since this 2004 Pew research exploring who is watching cable news and reports it is a younger and more Republican audience.
I. Where Americans Go for News | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

However, it is no surprise that more young people watch the Colbert report, that is quite entertaining, than watch O'Reilly or Hannity. So it is a much older group watching the more serious news programming on all cable news, most especially Fox.
In :60 | Colbert Nation | Comedy Central

And in 2010
Overall, cable news continues to play a significant role in peoples’ news habits – 39% say they regularly get news from a cable channel. But the proportions saying they regularly watch CNN, MSNBC and CNBC have slipped substantially from two years ago, during the presidential election.

Only Fox News has maintained its audience size, and this is because of the increasing number of Republicans who regularly get news there. Four-in-ten Republicans (40%) now say they regularly watch Fox News, up from 36% two years ago and just 18% a decade ago. Just 12% of Republicans regularly watch CNN, and just 6% regularly watch MSNBC.
Americans Spending More Time Following the News | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

And all television programming is now beginning to target more of the older generation more than the younger one because that's where the money is. And a one week slippage in the Nielsen ratings does not a trend make. You will notice that the MSM strains at gnats to find anything to show Fox News is slipping, but studiously ignore similar drops in ratings on any of the other more leftwing cable news channels.

I wonder what it would take to convince people to look for honest information at all times rather than politically expedient information however dishonestly presented?

While the business of ALL news programming is to generate ratings and thereby attract advertisers, I strongly disagree that Fox does not do competent news programming.

However, many on the left are so resentful of FNC's success and so desperate to believe that it will fail that a lot of propaganda is fed to the gullible who want to believe the worst of Fox News. It has an all geezer audience. It's audience is less informed. It's audience has a lower IQ. Yadda yadda. All debunked.

Fox News IQ Article: Fake Story Claims Fox News Viewers Have Average IQ of 80

I doubt there has been a huge change since this 2004 Pew research exploring who is watching cable news and reports it is a younger and more Republican audience.
I. Where Americans Go for News | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

However, it is no surprise that more young people watch the Colbert report, that is quite entertaining, than watch O'Reilly or Hannity. So it is a much older group watching the more serious news programming on all cable news, most especially Fox.
In :60 | Colbert Nation | Comedy Central

And in 2010
Overall, cable news continues to play a significant role in peoples’ news habits – 39% say they regularly get news from a cable channel. But the proportions saying they regularly watch CNN, MSNBC and CNBC have slipped substantially from two years ago, during the presidential election.

Only Fox News has maintained its audience size, and this is because of the increasing number of Republicans who regularly get news there. Four-in-ten Republicans (40%) now say they regularly watch Fox News, up from 36% two years ago and just 18% a decade ago. Just 12% of Republicans regularly watch CNN, and just 6% regularly watch MSNBC.
Americans Spending More Time Following the News | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

And all television programming is now beginning to target more of the older generation more than the younger one because that's where the money is. And a one week slippage in the Nielsen ratings does not a trend make. You will notice that the MSM strains at gnats to find anything to show Fox News is slipping, but studiously ignore similar drops in ratings on any of the other more leftwing cable news channels.

I wonder what it would take to convince people to look for honest information at all times rather than politically expedient information however dishonestly presented?

this lame hypcrasy is delectable,
party.gif
there's a thread in this forum with commmnets lauding Chris Wallace of FOX news Sunday for smacking around the NRA CEO from the very same folks who have posted here in this one.

:lol: Fox has been a source of derision since the day they were created.....I have watched at several sites the lambasting of anyone who dared post the ratings as Fox crushed everyone around them, they were just ConLand Loony tune nutters as viewers etc....Obama playing dirty to diminish them was met with glee etc etc...they weren't REAL News they were Faux News....I have read umpteen posts on how the ratings were BS, the networks still rule, fox aint real, the ratings mean squat anyway blah blah blah ....

Oh wait the there ratings are dropping in a demographic or flattened out? But they are still crushing the others? Nope don't matter, here we come!!!!!l ike a pack of slobbering rabid dogs you're all over this? :lol:

The fallacy comes when people come in toting ratings for this channel or that radio show as if they're some kind of "vote" for the perceived political slant of that channel. That's simply not what audience ratings represent. It never has been. Ratings represent attention. There are all sorts of ways to gather attention, and none of the effective ones have to do with veracity or integrity. In fact those principles tend to work against it. What sells is not integrity; it's fear and loathing, sensationalism and scare tactics. And that's how you build ratings.

At the same time, it is amusing to see one particular set of voices first fly in insisting that FNC really is fair and balanced and it's everybody else that's skewed..... and then the same wags come in with the ratings crowing about how their right-wing channel is "approved" by more people --- the same right wing channel they just got done insisting was not right wing, but in fact fair and balanced.

Also known as wanting it both ways. :eusa_angel:

The fallacy comes when people come in toting ratings for this channel or that radio show as if they're some kind of "vote" for the perceived political slant of that channel. That's simply not what audience ratings represent. It never has been. Ratings represent attention. There are all sorts of ways to gather attention, and none of the effective ones have to do with veracity or integrity. In fact those principles tend to work against it. What sells is not integrity; it's fear and loathing, sensationalism and scare tactics. And that's how you build ratings.

At the same time, it is amusing to see one particular set of voices first fly in insisting that FNC really is fair and balanced and it's everybody else that's skewed..... and then the same wags come in with the ratings crowing about how their right-wing channel is "approved" by more people --- the same right wing channel they just got done insisting was not right wing, but in fact fair and balanced.

whomever on earth are you talking too:eusa_eh:

are you.... free versing? burning the midnight strawman? :eusa_think:

No. Sorry. Television ratings are the size and composition of the action viewers/audience of a particular television station or channel during any given 15 minutes of the day. It has nothing to do with opinion or loathing or praise or anything else. It is based solely on who is watching.

So on any given day, more people are likely to be watching Fox News than all the other cable news groups added together. Certainly Fox will pull a larger market share than CNN and MSNBC combined on the vast majority of 15-minute blocks during the day throughout the entire week that the ratings report measures.

Last edited:

whomever on earth are you talking too:eusa_eh:

are you.... free versing? burning the midnight strawman? :eusa_think:

Um-- see your name in the quote? I start there, then I riff on for anyone reading. And it's sunny afternoon here, so it's not me who's at the midnight hour... ergo we may be forced to file this post under 'non sequitur' :dunno:

this lame hypcrasy is delectable,
party.gif
there's a thread in this forum with commmnets lauding Chris Wallace of FOX news Sunday for smacking around the NRA CEO from the very same folks who have posted here in this one.

Actually that was me. I started that thread all by myself. Pretty impressive huh? :cool:

So -- what's yer point? Other than your spell checker doesn't work?

Actually Foxy, the first of those points is bunked right over your head; Fox does have the oldest audience (avg age 65) of all of 'em. I left a link and excerpt up in post 27. Fox is a geezer magnet; that's true. The second point I didn't link (lately) but that's also true; in every poll I've seen, and there were several, Fox News viewers did worse on knowledge of current events than viewers of elsewhere. We can ruminate separately on why that is. The third one about the lower IQ is probably unmeasurable, is certainly wacko, and amounts to a strawman. Which is the next section of your post.

But I'll skip that, and the midsection about demographics, worthy as it is, to take issue with this:

I don't think broadcast advertisers will agree with that demographic target. The coveted slice of humanity seems to be the 25-54 group. And in this FNC is not doing well; again, the price of having the oldest audience. The point of the recent articles posted in this thread and others is that MSNBC, which seems to be the major comparison, is gaining what FNC is losing in those areas.

In January, Fox News had its worst primetime ratings since 2001 in the all-important age demographic of 25-54, according to new Nielsen data. Furthermore, its total day ratings for the age group fell to their lowest levels since 2008. The grim news for the conservative cable network was gleefully publicized by liberal rival MSNBC, which boasted a 20 percent boost in the 25-54 demographic from the previous year, and an 11 percent climb in primetime. -- Fox Plummeting Ratings: Why the Network is Struggling

-- and besides, this directly contradicts what you say above about FNC's older audience being mythical "propaganda". Which way you wanna go with this?

You are absolutely correct that a week slippage, or a quarter, surely doesn't constitute a trend. But this decline has been going on a couple of years. The last reports emblazoned here were more dramatic but this prolly has more to do with the election and inauguration, which were pretty well doomed to not be good Fox fodder anyway. I doubt we'll see the same dramatic drop in the next quarter, but the long term is what Roger Ailes has to worry about.

Aye, there's the rub, innit? Looking around at threads in this forum we can see we're not close to that. Too many of us try to play these issues as if they're a football game between Red and Blue. It's not that simple, nor should it be. Politics means compromise. The idea of demonizing and eliminating one's adversary in the quest for one-party rule can lead to nothing but dystopia.

Last edited:
[NBC Panel blames American Public and Republicans for sequester. Way to go NBC, and you wonder why you came in number Five behind Univision. You just keep on trotting out those five anal fornicators and a few muff divers and you'll be fine........someday............Right after Barack declares himself both God and Emperor. shuts down Fox News, talk radio and orders not a discouraging word about him to be printed or typed anywhere, anytime, not even on the net.]

"During a panel discussion on Tuesday's NBC Today, co-host Matt Lauer urged the liberal Today's Professionals pundits to assign blame for the upcoming budget sequester: "I want you to complete the following sentence, 'And the blame goes to...' Almost by every analysis people agree this will hurt the economy, hurt the recovery, might even damage national security. And the blame goes to?" [Listen to the audio or watch the video after the jump]

Chief medical editor Nancy Snyderman ranted: "The American public for not being invested enough in the terms of what it means and firing every one of these SOBs the next time it comes around." Advertising executive Donny Deutsch agreed, arguing: "We are a country now of complete non-self sacrifice. You can't blame the politicians. Blame us, because nobody wants to give on anything.""

NBC Panelists Blame 'American Public' and Republicans for Sequester | NewsBusters

[How'd that saying go? Twelve or maybe now its twenty million Mexicans can't be wrong. And Chamberlain agreed that Hitler had a valid claim to the Sudetenland. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch o guys.]

"NBC is not doing very well in the ratings. They fell to fifth place for sweeps and this is the first time they have ever been that low. On Feb. 21, Zap 2 It made this report. They are going to finish fifth among the 18-49 demographic."

NBC falls to fifth place in ratings - Oklahoma City TV | Examiner.com

Forum List

Back