Fox's Brian Kilmeade Asks Black Co-host If She Makes Kool-Aid

Now, Tang, I've heard associated with astronauts.

That said, I've done a poll of my circles and apparently there /is/ a racial connotation to koolaid. Learn something new every day.

Yeah just only for the last 60 years so its still hasnt gotten around.

Apparently not. Most of us seem to have never heard of it.

Wow, maybe because its not directed toward you. Remember that the next time blacks bring up something you didnt know about and instead of dismissing it maybe...you just didnt know it was a problem.

As I've noted backthread, in order for something to be a stereotype, it has to be widely known. If we have to go Google it, it's not widely known. 'Widely known' is something we don't need to Google.

That isn't a value judgment; it's simply the way it works.

Thats not what widely known means. And whether you know about it or not doesnt affect the state of anything. Things dont disappear based on your knowledge of it or your penis would be gone.

That doesn't make any sense.

Look at it this way -- if Kilmeade -- who I understand has a long history of saying weird shit -- had said, "do you serve it with fried chicken and watermelon? They remind me of summer" --- you wouldn't have anybody here claiming they never heard of fried chicken and watermelon as racial stereotypes.

But Kool Aid?

No, this has to be a regional thing or some kind of inside joke. A stereotype means everybody gets it.

Maybe this will help some of you who seem to have great difficulty processing this thread:

Stereotypes and generalizations about African Americans and their culture have evolved within American society dating back to the colonial years of settlement, particularly after slavery became a racial institution that was heritable. The early blackfaceminstrel shows of the 19th century portrayed blacks as joyous, naive, superstitious, ignorant, and musically inclined—characteristics related to the way slaveholders in earlier years believed them to be.

Such scholars as Patricia A. Turner note "stereotyping objects in popular culture that depict blacks as servile, primitive, or simpleminded and explains how the subtle influences of such seemingly harmless images reinforce anti-black attitudes".[1] As with every other identifiable group, stereotypes continue today. African Americans are often portrayed as violent, lazy and very religious. They also are portrayed as having a love of fried chicken, watermelon, corn bread, Kool-Aid, waffles, sweet tea, and grape drink.

More: Stereotypes of African Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
With the exception of koolaid I love all of those things. The only thing white people can make halfway decent on that list is sweet tea and they have to be influenced by Blacks like in the south.

So you're telling me that after 7 years whenever this image would show up on the message board

1894l.jpg

Ya'll were saying to yourself: "Ok, I get the fried chicken and watermelon but what on earth could they mean with the Kool Aid man being there? I mean, the rest is clearly racist stereotyping but the Kool Aid is throwing me off. What does it all mean?"

Sell that to someone else
first time I've seen this, you're racist I supposed.

Maybe this will help some of you who seem to have great difficulty processing this thread:

Stereotypes and generalizations about African Americans and their culture have evolved within American society dating back to the colonial years of settlement, particularly after slavery became a racial institution that was heritable. The early blackfaceminstrel shows of the 19th century portrayed blacks as joyous, naive, superstitious, ignorant, and musically inclined—characteristics related to the way slaveholders in earlier years believed them to be.

Such scholars as Patricia A. Turner note "stereotyping objects in popular culture that depict blacks as servile, primitive, or simpleminded and explains how the subtle influences of such seemingly harmless images reinforce anti-black attitudes".[1] As with every other identifiable group, stereotypes continue today. African Americans are often portrayed as violent, lazy and very religious. They also are portrayed as having a love of fried chicken, watermelon, corn bread, Kool-Aid, waffles, sweet tea, and grape drink.

Radar O'Reilly loved grape nehi pop. He was white.

He probably also ate fried chicken, corn bread, and watermelon. And your point is...?

He probably also ate fried chicken, corn bread, and watermelon. And your point is...?
exactly

I drank Kool-Aid once. It made me want to rape and kill.

I drank Kool-Aid once. It made me want to rape and kill.
That was your neanderthal genes not the koolaid.

Ladies and gentlemen.....what we have here is a group of people who are very resistant to learning something. If you were not aware of the Koolaid stereotype....it does not mean that you are stupid or out of touch. It simply means that you have never been made aware of it.

It isn't new and it isn't a bigger deal that any other food stereotype. It can be a communication builder.....or it can be a vehicle for noting things that divide us. It all depends on how it is used.

I find it funny that those most offended by this new ( to them ) informnation are those who routinely cry about PC ruining their lives. This stereotype.....a very old one....hasn't even effected you to the point of awareness.

This stage in the discussion would be a fine time for everyone who continues to deny the existence of the stereotype to do what evercurious did. Accept that you have learned something new and move on. Nobody knows everything. Don't take it so hard.

With the exception of koolaid I love all of those things. The only thing white people can make halfway decent on that list is sweet tea and they have to be influenced by Blacks like in the south.

Actually until now I've never heard of sweet tea.... pardon me :puke: ... as having a racial connotation either. It's certainly a staple in the South among whites. As are fried chicken and cornbread (it's one word) and greens and grits. I grew up on all that stuff.

Wow, maybe because its not directed toward you. Remember that the next time blacks bring up something you didnt know about and instead of dismissing it maybe...you just didnt know it was a problem.

As I've noted backthread, in order for something to be a stereotype, it has to be widely known. If we have to go Google it, it's not widely known. 'Widely known' is something we don't need to Google.

Thats not what widely known means. And whether you know about it or not doesnt affect the state of anything. Things dont disappear based on your knowledge of it or your penis would be gone.

Look at it this way -- if Kilmeade -- who I understand has a long history of saying weird shit -- had said, "do you serve it with fried chicken and watermelon? They remind me of summer" --- you wouldn't have anybody here claiming they never heard of fried chicken and watermelon as racial stereotypes.

But Kool Aid?

No, this has to be a regional thing or some kind of inside joke. A stereotype means everybody gets it.

You are a good guy. But...you aren't right on this. It isn't regional and it isn't an inside joke. Enough people know of it. Everybody......is a bar set too high.

Ladies and gentlmen.....what we have here is a group of people who are very resistant to learning something. If you were not aware of the Koolaid stereotype....it does not mean that you are stupid or out of touch. It simply means that you have never been made aware of it.

It isn't new and it isn't a bigger deal that any other food stereotype. It can be a communication builder.....or it can be a vehicle for noting things that divide us. It all depends on how it is used.

I find it funny that those most offended by this new ( to them ) informnation are those who routinely cry about PC ruining their lives. This stereotype.....a very old one....hasn't even effected you to the point of awareness.

This stage in the discussion would be a fine time for everyone who continues to deny the existence of the stereotype to do what evercurious did. Accept that you have learned something new and move on. Nobody knows everything. Don't take it so hard.

Sure, but that's for the future. The topic here is a snapshot of the past.
Whether it's contrived or not, now we know, but before all this ---- we didn't.

Actually until now I've never heard of sweet tea.... pardon me :puke: ... as having a racial connotation either. It's certainly a staple in the South among whites. As are fried chicken and cornbread (it's one word) and greens and grits. I grew up on all that stuff.
Southern white people love sweet tea so there is no racial connotation to it.

Ladies and gentlemen.....what we have here is a group of people who are very resistant to learning something. If you were not aware of the Koolaid stereotype....it does not mean that you are stupid or out of touch. It simply means that you have never been made aware of it.

well shit for sure now I'll never mention kool aid around any black folks. I wouldn't want them to think I was a racist.

But Kool Aid?

So, if someone did say they didnt hear about fried chicken being a stereotype does that mean it isnt?

But Kool Aid?

You are a good guy. But...yiou aren't right on this. It isn't regional and it isn't an inside joke. Enough people know of it. Everybody......is a bar set too high.

This is a case were "everybody" doesn't mean "everybody". If it were just me saying they never heard of it, everybody would be everybody.

well shit for sure now I'll never mention kool aid around any black folks. I wouldn't want them to think I was a racist.

You are a simpleton. Trust me on that.

forgiveyourself-460x456.jpg

Forum List

Back