Fox's Brian Kilmeade Asks Black Co-host If She Makes Kool-Aid

Sorry, but if you have never heard of Kool-Aid being linked to blacks, then you would not realize it was a racially loaded question. I think the guy just thought of Kool-Aid as a summer time family drink, something the kids like.

This is an example of crying 'wolf.' When something like this happens, something innocent, and you make it out to be a big deal, a big racial issue, then you demean real racist issues. Very bad thing to do.

HAR HAR HAR

I'll bet money that out of all the recipe shows they've ever done not ONE person was asked about Kool Aid. Tis cute when you act like its other peoples fault for Kilmeades buffoonery

Probably not -- I thought Kool Aid died in the '60s. I vaguely remember it but nobody liked it and we all moved on.
Maybe it's a regional thing. :dunno:
Nope. Lots of Black people still love Kool Aid. I grew up on it in the 70's and 80's.

We all grew up on Kool Aid, there was never anything black about it, like say fried chicken, chitlins or watermelon
Black people make it better and we have jokes about it. I distinctly remember some white kids stating to me that Black people's Kool Aid was better tasting than white peoples. :laugh:

LOL! Um, yeah, sure.

I remember the fights in the cafeteria at Stevenson High School in the Bronx in 1975 between the Black Spades and a rival gang over which flavor Kool Aid to serve at lunch

Its funny that that stereotype has been around for decades and yet whites dont think its racist because by golly they never heard about it. So Voila!

This is like police abuse in black neighoborhoods. Instead of saying they never heard of it they determine it cant be true because they havent heard of it lol
Maybe you guys should put some kind of database of potential insults for blacks on-line which would inform the general public. We know about some words, but there seems to be a lot more to offend the wilting flowers of blackness who suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous microaggressions.
Like a well known kid's drink. Holy crap.

now mentioning kool aid is racist. I drank it my entire life. First I've ever heard of this one. holy crap to the insensitivity of a question in a normal environment. WOW, just WOW.

I also drank Kool-Aid most of my life. Kool-Aid is no more racist than fried chicken or watermelon - it's all in the context. Imagine the poor guy below:

5e467770b5bf2664dd34c63af40487e3.jpg

Its funny that that stereotype has been around for decades and yet whites dont think its racist because by golly they never heard about it. So Voila!

This is like police abuse in black neighoborhoods. Instead of saying they never heard of it they determine it cant be true because they havent heard of it lol
so was that a black thing in the black neighborhoods since the whites haven't heard of it before?

I dont understand this question.

Why, I know about chicken, chitlins and watermelon, how would that one not make the list of things whites have heard of?

IDK, but that doesnt mean shit tho. When someone else comes in and tells you they never heard of chitlins being a stereotype does that mean its ceases to be one? LMMFAO

Now, Tang, I've heard associated with astronauts.

That said, I've done a poll of my circles and apparently there /is/ a racial connotation to koolaid. Learn something new every day.

Yeah just only for the last 60 years so its still hasnt gotten around.

Apparently not. Most of us seem to have never heard of it.

Wow, maybe because its not directed toward you. Remember that the next time blacks bring up something you didnt know about and instead of dismissing it maybe...you just didnt know it was a problem.

As I've noted backthread, in order for something to be a stereotype, it has to be widely known. If we have to go Google it, it's not widely known.

So something isnt widely known because YOU dont know about it LOL!!!!!! Thats not how this works...thats not how any of this works.

Sigh -- we did this before too. It's not about "me"-singular. There's a whole lot of posters here who have never heard of this stereotype, and if you check the MediaMatters article in the OP, there's more in there. It's just not a widely known thing. Whether you personally know about it is not the point -- it's the general public.

If somebody has tried to sell Kool Aid as a racial stereotype, they just haven't done a good job of marketing. That's all this is.

That said, I've done a poll of my circles and apparently there /is/ a racial connotation to koolaid. Learn something new every day.

Wow, maybe because its not directed toward you. Remember that the next time blacks bring up something you didnt know about and instead of dismissing it maybe...you just didnt know it was a problem.

As I've noted backthread, in order for something to be a stereotype, it has to be widely known. If we have to go Google it, it's not widely known.

So something isnt widely known because YOU dont know about it LOL!!!!!! Thats not how this works...thats not how any of this works.
how does it work then? I'm sorry, but I'm not naive, this is purely a reach at something. Not sure what, but holy crap, what a fkn joke.

Maybe you guys should put some kind of database of potential insults for blacks on-line which would inform the general public. We know about some words, but there seems to be a lot more to offend the wilting flowers of blackness who suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous microaggressions.

Why? You wouldnt read it anyway because it doesnt affect you. Maybe instead of creating a database you like, paid attention for the last 60 years to society.

Those Obama Bucks have been posted on this site so many times you cant even begin to tell me you never saw it. Or even better, you saw it and didnt know why kool aid was next to watermelon and your deductive reasoning didnt kick in.

56574f5a2100004a005abb71.png

Harris Faulkner appeared shocked by the seemingly racially-loaded question.

A "Fox & Friends" segment on peach cobbler appeared to get uncomfortably tense when anchor Brian Kilmeade asked co-host Harris Faulkner if she serves Kool-Aid with her meals.

The question was dished out as Faulkner, who is African-American, presented her recipe ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.

After Faulkner mentioned that a summer version of her cobbler can be prepared as well, Kilmeade, who is white, asked, “Do you make Kool-Aid?”

As the video above shows, the lively chatter among the four hosts came to a brief halt as Faulkner reacted.

What Kilmeade may or may not know is that the popular mixed drink can be used to racially stereotype African-Americans, similarly to fried chicken or watermelon.

"Uh, do I do what?" she asked.

"Do you make Kool-Aid?" he repeated.

"Uh, no. No, I don’t make Kool-Aid,” Faulkner replied as fellow host Steve Doocy stared quizzically at Kilmeade before asking him, "What?"

"It reminds me of summer,” Kilmeade replied, getting the gang chatting once again as Faulkner pointed out that she did bring an “adult beverage.”

H/T Media Matters

Fox's Brian Kilmeade Asks Black Co-host If She Makes Kool-Aid

Brian Kilmeade does seem mentally impaired. Harris Faulkner is a pretty, intelligent black woman who is married to a white guy.
Sorry, but if you have never heard of Kool-Aid being linked to blacks, then you would not realize it was a racially loaded question. I think the guy just thought of Kool-Aid as a summer time family drink, something the kids like.

This is an example of crying 'wolf.' When something like this happens, something innocent, and you make it out to be a big deal, a big racial issue, then you demean real racist issues. Very bad thing to do.

HAR HAR HAR

I'll bet money that out of all the recipe shows they've ever done not ONE person was asked about Kool Aid. Tis cute when you act like its other peoples fault for Kilmeades buffoonery

Probably not -- I thought Kool Aid died in the '60s. I vaguely remember it but nobody liked it and we all moved on.
Maybe it's a regional thing. :dunno:
Nope. Lots of Black people still love Kool Aid. I grew up on it in the 70's and 80's.

We all grew up on Kool Aid, there was never anything black about it, like say fried chicken, chitlins or watermelon

So what beverage did poor blacks wash down all that fried chicken, chitlins, and watermelon with?

As I've noted backthread, in order for something to be a stereotype, it has to be widely known. If we have to go Google it, it's not widely known. 'Widely known' is something we don't need to Google.

That isn't a value judgment; it's simply the way it works.

Thats not what widely known means. And whether you know about it or not doesnt affect the state of anything. Things dont disappear based on your knowledge of it or your penis would be gone.

Why? You wouldnt read it anyway because it doesnt affect you. Maybe instead of creating a database you like, paid attention for the last 60 years to society.

Those Obama Bucks have been posted on this site so many times you cant even begin to tell me you never saw it. Or even better, you saw it and didnt know why kool aid was next to watermelon and your deductive reasoning didnt kick in.
Watermelon, fried chicken, malt liquor we knew about, But KOOL-AID?!

FFS!

now mentioning kool aid is racist. I drank it my entire life. First I've ever heard of this one. holy crap to the insensitivity of a question in a normal environment. WOW, just WOW.

No. Mentioning Koolaid is not racist.
As always context is important. If the guy was trying to be funny and knew about the connection then it was racial micro aggression depending on how the Black person feels about it.. (This ought to get someone upset!)

No. Mentioning Koolaid is not racist.
must be, got a thread started up in the OP here saying it is.

Nope. You haven't understood the discussion.
sure I do kool aid is now racist.

Maybe this will help some of you who seem to have great difficulty processing this thread:

Stereotypes and generalizations about African Americans and their culture have evolved within American society dating back to the colonial years of settlement, particularly after slavery became a racial institution that was heritable. The early blackfaceminstrel shows of the 19th century portrayed blacks as joyous, naive, superstitious, ignorant, and musically inclined—characteristics related to the way slaveholders in earlier years believed them to be.

Such scholars as Patricia A. Turner note "stereotyping objects in popular culture that depict blacks as servile, primitive, or simpleminded and explains how the subtle influences of such seemingly harmless images reinforce anti-black attitudes".[1] As with every other identifiable group, stereotypes continue today. African Americans are often portrayed as violent, lazy and very religious. They also are portrayed as having a love of fried chicken, watermelon, corn bread, Kool-Aid, waffles, sweet tea, and grape drink.

More: Stereotypes of African Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe this will help some of you who seem to have great difficulty processing this thread:

Stereotypes and generalizations about African Americans and their culture have evolved within American society dating back to the colonial years of settlement, particularly after slavery became a racial institution that was heritable. The early blackfaceminstrel shows of the 19th century portrayed blacks as joyous, naive, superstitious, ignorant, and musically inclined—characteristics related to the way slaveholders in earlier years believed them to be.

Such scholars as Patricia A. Turner note "stereotyping objects in popular culture that depict blacks as servile, primitive, or simpleminded and explains how the subtle influences of such seemingly harmless images reinforce anti-black attitudes".[1] As with every other identifiable group, stereotypes continue today. African Americans are often portrayed as violent, lazy and very religious. They also are portrayed as having a love of fried chicken, watermelon, corn bread, Kool-Aid, waffles, sweet tea, and grape drink.

More: Stereotypes of African Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Radar O'Reilly loved grape nehi pop. He was white.

So you're telling me that after 7 years whenever this image would show up on the message board

1894l.jpg

Ya'll were saying to yourself: "Ok, I get the fried chicken and watermelon but what on earth could they mean with the Kool Aid man being there? I mean, the rest is clearly racist stereotyping but the Kool Aid is throwing me off. What does it all mean?"

Sell that to someone else

Forum List

Back