Frozen wind turbines hamper Texas power output

The irony of this event is oh so delicious

Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

What is even more delicious is there is already a half a dozen threads on this..

Yeah, all the right wingers get their fake news from the same fake sources (Brietbart, Fox, etc) and think they have a scoop.

Well, they need it once every forty years or so, right? I guess we can forgive that.

But it is obvious that Global Warming causes global cooling so the windmills freezing up will happen far more frequently.

Fossil fuel power plants don’t freeze up nor do nukes.
If we can build safe nuclear power plants, I have nothing against them. I was reading that they are coming up with ways to manage the radioactive waste that are much improved, too.

I actually cried when I learned that we were taking it and burying it deep in the Earth. In our Mother. We've only got one, folks.
so you cried when you found out we were burying something we dug out of the ground,,

Something that has a toxic half-life in excess of the entire period humans have existed, fuck yes.
Didn't know that either didja.
The thing is the longer the half life the less radioactive it is.

The real nasty stuff has the shortest half lives.
I wonder what the half life is before we dig it up??

The half life of a radioactive isotope is constant.

The problem is more that nuclear waste is much more concentrated than what is found in nature.
so its better to secure it as far away from humans as possible,, like underground in a secure place,,

Actually it's better to not generate it in the first place.

Ask the residents of Fukushima how "secure" they feel.

Well, they need it once every forty years or so, right? I guess we can forgive that.

But it is obvious that Global Warming causes global cooling so the windmills freezing up will happen far more frequently.

If we can build safe nuclear power plants, I have nothing against them. I was reading that they are coming up with ways to manage the radioactive waste that are much improved, too.

I actually cried when I learned that we were taking it and burying it deep in the Earth. In our Mother. We've only got one, folks.
so you cried when you found out we were burying something we dug out of the ground,,

Something that has a toxic half-life in excess of the entire period humans have existed, fuck yes.

The problem is more that nuclear waste is much more concentrated than what is found in nature.
so its better to secure it as far away from humans as possible,, like underground in a secure place,,

fukushima didnt happen from buried waste,,

Didn't say it did. But it IS a proper name.

Very cool, I'm jealous. I love natural disasters, well at least the ones that involve power outages.

I have the same issue here. When the power goes out the first thing that comes to mind is: "You get ONE flush, make it count". Actually if there's a power outage it usually means the creek just across the way is swollen with water, so I'll take a bucket over there to refill the toilet tank. For drinking and cooking I have backup stored water to tide me over until if need be I can drive up the road to a local spring. Wood stove and/or propane camping stove for cooking. If it's arctic weather and the reefer is off I can just store food out in the car. That's why I like power outages -- it makes ya get creative. And if you live in a lighted area (I don't any more) you get to see stars.

Fuck creative. Power goes out, I fire up my generator.

And that's being creative, step one.

I ran an entire radio station that way once when the local power system went down. (Not including transmitter which was not affected).
You're so full of shit it is bubbling out your ears.

Didn't say it did. But it IS a proper name.
well this discussion is about waste,,,

What alternatives do you THINK are actual alternatives? Wind and solar are SUPPLEMENTS, never alternatives. Because they cannot be RELIED ON for grid power. Solar is only good for 6 to 8 hours a day depending on lattitude, clouds, precip, and ICE and snow ALSO !!!...

And wind is so entirely flaky, it cannot be scheduled for contracts at all.. Often functionally GONE for 2 or 4 a week or in the dead of night.

THESE are your "Green alternatives".. To quote James Hansen, the godfather of Global Warming, --

"If you think you're gonna fix GWarming with just wind and solar -- you probably believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny",.

YOUR PARTY is apparently a bunch of Tooth Fairy believers. Who SEEM to want to kill off more of the population by BANNING OUR STABLE GRID GENERATION -- before they find a better replacement for than the Tooth Fairy...
I don't think we should do that and I doubt if anyone is advocating it. You don't have to be insulting about it, either. I'm not a Democrat. I don't have a party. What is wrong with you lately?

I'm peeved that science and engineering have been politicized and so many folks have been entirely propagandized.. And scared SHITLESS that mental midgets like Bernie, AOC, and our GWarming Czar Ketchup Kerry are gonna be deconstructing our energy policy.

When you say "no one is advocating this" you're being entirely dishonest. I haven't changed. The question really is -- What is wrong with YOU lately?
There is nothing wrong with me. I haven't changed. And I'm certainly not being dishonest. If there are current plans to make renewable energy our primary source, please share. I know about the big goals of the green energy thingy; it's always nice to have a goal, but it's a bunch of words, like all those meaningless mission statements folks have these days for every org.

Renewable energy, in my understanding, still being in its infancy, is not expected to take over anytime soon as the only power sources we have. If I'm wrong, link me.
theres a lot wrong with you if you didnt know their plan to switch us to green energy,, '
FFS they are openly saying it while shutting down all the others
What have they shut down?
youre a special kind if ignorant,,,

Ironic post for a wagoo who doesn't know how water wells work.
when did I say I didnt know how they worked??

I didnt know you were on a well,,,

Because my first mention of it was "I have the same issue here" responding to OldLady 's reference to being on a well. Gotta read these things.

Very cool, I'm jealous. I love natural disasters, well at least the ones that involve power outages.

I have the same issue here. When the power goes out the first thing that comes to mind is: "You get ONE flush, make it count". Actually if there's a power outage it usually means the creek just across the way is swollen with water, so I'll take a bucket over there to refill the toilet tank. For drinking and cooking I have backup stored water to tide me over until if need be I can drive up the road to a local spring. Wood stove and/or propane camping stove for cooking. If it's arctic weather and the reefer is off I can just store food out in the car. That's why I like power outages -- it makes ya get creative. And if you live in a lighted area (I don't any more) you get to see stars.

I ran an entire radio station that way once when the local power system went down. (Not including transmitter which was not affected).

Lemme axe you sump'm.

Have you EVER, in any thread at any time, posted anything at all on the topic, or do you just do drive-by cheerleading pompom shit?

Serious question. Because I can't think of any.

What alternatives do you THINK are actual alternatives? Wind and solar are SUPPLEMENTS, never alternatives. Because they cannot be RELIED ON for grid power. Solar is only good for 6 to 8 hours a day depending on lattitude, clouds, precip, and ICE and snow ALSO !!!...

And wind is so entirely flaky, it cannot be scheduled for contracts at all.. Often functionally GONE for 2 or 4 a week or in the dead of night.

THESE are your "Green alternatives".. To quote James Hansen, the godfather of Global Warming, --

"If you think you're gonna fix GWarming with just wind and solar -- you probably believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny",.

YOUR PARTY is apparently a bunch of Tooth Fairy believers. Who SEEM to want to kill off more of the population by BANNING OUR STABLE GRID GENERATION -- before they find a better replacement for than the Tooth Fairy...
I don't think we should do that and I doubt if anyone is advocating it. You don't have to be insulting about it, either. I'm not a Democrat. I don't have a party. What is wrong with you lately?

I'm peeved that science and engineering have been politicized and so many folks have been entirely propagandized.. And scared SHITLESS that mental midgets like Bernie, AOC, and our GWarming Czar Ketchup Kerry are gonna be deconstructing our energy policy.

When you say "no one is advocating this" you're being entirely dishonest. I haven't changed. The question really is -- What is wrong with YOU lately?
There is nothing wrong with me. I haven't changed. And I'm certainly not being dishonest. If there are current plans to make renewable energy our primary source, please share. I know about the big goals of the green energy thingy; it's always nice to have a goal, but it's a bunch of words, like all those meaningless mission statements folks have these days for every org.

Renewable energy, in my understanding, still being in its infancy, is not expected to take over anytime soon as the only power sources we have. If I'm wrong, link me.
theres a lot wrong with you if you didnt know their plan to switch us to green energy,, '
FFS they are openly saying it while shutting down all the others
What have they shut down?
youre a special kind if ignorant,,,

Ironic post for a wagoo who doesn't know how water wells work.
when did I say I didnt know how they worked??

I didnt know you were on a well,,,

Because my first mention of it was "I have the same issue here" responding to OldLady 's reference to being on a well. Gotta read these things.
I must have missed that,,

sorry,,

Lemme axe you sump'm.

Have you EVER, in any thread at any time, posted anything at all on the topic, or do you just do drive-by cheerleading pompom shit?

you can think??

Lemme axe you sump'm.

I'm sorry, kid...but we use English here, not hood-rat.

The list of things you cannot think of is quite long.

Poor design and poor placement were the problems there.

We don't have to build obsolete light water reactors anymore.

Lemme axe you sump'm.

you can think??

I can remember too. And what I can't remember is any time Jarhead posted anything other than "YOU'RE A BIG STOOPID'. He seems to show up to battle unarmed. And he just did it again. Sad.

No it was a tsunami and we all know that those are daily occurrences right?

A different reactor would not have been taken off line by a wave

Lemme axe you sump'm.

you can think??

I can remember too. And what I can't remember is any time Jarhead posted anything other than "YOU'RE A BIG STOOPID'. He seems to show up to battle unarmed. And he just did it again. Sad.
thats your failing not his,,,

Not the point. Poor placement, absofrickinlutely. I was stunned to find out that Japan, of all the nations that should know better, is running nukes at all, let alone in a land of earthquakes and tsunamis.

The point is that that shit is toxic, and it stays toxic for the "duration". Then we think we can build underground tanks that will way way way outlive us, that will never be attacked or rot away. That's just fuggin' stoopid.

Lemme axe you sump'm.

you can think??

thats your failing not his,,,

Uh.... No Sprinkles. I'm not writing his posts. HE IS. At some point there's something called personal responsibility.

I LITERALLY cannot think of a single time, and this goes back eight years, that that klown has contributed anything to any thread other than once when he mentioned something about visiting this area for some hiking, at which point I offered some tips and even offered to meet him for one. Other than that, he just lurks and has zero to say except "FUCK YOU". He's a miserable loser. But he's welcome to show me any time he actually contributed to a topic, ON the topic. I ain't holding my breath.

I kind of notice when some yahoo waddles in unprepared.

Last edited:
If I were a Californian I'd consider the situation as a small bit of justice served upon Texas as payback for Enron. But I'm not and so can easily wish the best for all those effected.

Not the point. Poor placement, absofrickinlutely. I was stunned to find out that Japan, of all the nations that should know better, is running nukes at all, let alone in a land of earthquakes and tsunamis.

The point is that that shit is toxic, and it stays toxic for the "duration". Then we think we can build underground tanks that will way way way outlive us, that will never be attacked or rot away. That's just fuggin' stoopid.
whos building underground tanks???

its in barrels underground and that in itself is the point,, its as safe there as it was before it was mined,, and more so in some cases due to being in granite,,

Last edited:

No it was a tsunami and we all know that those are daily occurrences right?

A different reactor would not have been taken off line by a wave

Irrelevant. In dealing with that level of danger you don't plan for the "daily occurrence". You plan for the "worst case".

Forum List

Back