Frozen wind turbines hamper Texas power output

Well, they need it once every forty years or so, right? I guess we can forgive that.

But it is obvious that Global Warming causes global cooling so the windmills freezing up will happen far more frequently.

Fossil fuel power plants don’t freeze up nor do nukes.
If we can build safe nuclear power plants, I have nothing against them. I was reading that they are coming up with ways to manage the radioactive waste that are much improved, too.

I actually cried when I learned that we were taking it and burying it deep in the Earth. In our Mother. We've only got one, folks.
so you cried when you found out we were burying something we dug out of the ground,,

Something that has a toxic half-life in excess of the entire period humans have existed, fuck yes.
Didn't know that either didja.

Well, they need it once every forty years or so, right? I guess we can forgive that.

What alternatives do you THINK are actual alternatives? Wind and solar are SUPPLEMENTS, never alternatives. Because they cannot be RELIED ON for grid power. Solar is only good for 6 to 8 hours a day depending on lattitude, clouds, precip, and ICE and snow ALSO !!!...

And wind is so entirely flaky, it cannot be scheduled for contracts at all.. Often functionally GONE for 2 or 4 a week or in the dead of night.

THESE are your "Green alternatives".. To quote James Hansen, the godfather of Global Warming, --

"If you think you're gonna fix GWarming with just wind and solar -- you probably believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny",.

YOUR PARTY is apparently a bunch of Tooth Fairy believers. Who SEEM to want to kill off more of the population by BANNING OUR STABLE GRID GENERATION -- before they find a better replacement for than the Tooth Fairy...
I don't think we should do that and I doubt if anyone is advocating it. You don't have to be insulting about it, either. I'm not a Democrat. I don't have a party. What is wrong with you lately?

I'm peeved that science and engineering have been politicized and so many folks have been entirely propagandized.. And scared SHITLESS that mental midgets like Bernie, AOC, and our GWarming Czar Ketchup Kerry are gonna be deconstructing our energy policy.

When you say "no one is advocating this" you're being entirely dishonest. I haven't changed. The question really is -- What is wrong with YOU lately?
There is nothing wrong with me. I haven't changed. And I'm certainly not being dishonest. If there are current plans to make renewable energy our primary source, please share. I know about the big goals of the green energy thingy; it's always nice to have a goal, but it's a bunch of words, like all those meaningless mission statements folks have these days for every org.

Renewable energy, in my understanding, still being in its infancy, is not expected to take over anytime soon as the only power sources we have. If I'm wrong, link me.
theres a lot wrong with you if you didnt know their plan to switch us to green energy,, '
FFS they are openly saying it while shutting down all the others
What have they shut down?
youre a special kind if ignorant,,,

Ironic post for a wagoo who doesn't know how water wells work.
when did I say I didnt know how they worked??

I didnt know you were on a well,,,

Wind turbines frozen solid.

Solar panels under feet of snow.

Europe using fossil fuels to try to keep freeze damage to solar panels to a minimum.

Funny how the more we learn the dumber humans get.

But it is obvious that Global Warming causes global cooling so the windmills freezing up will happen far more frequently.

If we can build safe nuclear power plants, I have nothing against them. I was reading that they are coming up with ways to manage the radioactive waste that are much improved, too.

I actually cried when I learned that we were taking it and burying it deep in the Earth. In our Mother. We've only got one, folks.
so you cried when you found out we were burying something we dug out of the ground,,

Something that has a toxic half-life in excess of the entire period humans have existed, fuck yes.
of course I knew that,,

whats that got to do with my comment??

The thing is the longer the half life the less radioactive it is.

The real nasty stuff has the shortest half lives.

I wonder what the half life is before we dig it up??

It's de-icing fluid. Probably antifreeze. Saw a vid on news tonight of using drones to spray them clean. What they NEED are blade heaters. Yeah, that's a lot of metal in sub-zero windchill, but the energy would only be needed a few days a year. So this COULD BE FIXED as some incremental cost to initial cost to the rig and maintenance and production efficiency..

And perhaps a better analogy for this is what ice does to the wings of an aircraft, requiring that de-icing spray before takeoff and during flight, lest that ice change the shape of the wing so much that the plane becomes uncontrollable.

De-icers on wind turbine fan blades shouldn't add a lot of weight but they'd kinda have to be permanently affixed, so it's a question of whether there's enough occasion in that location to warrant them. I'm guessing in West Texas there probably is not. On the other hand they could easily generate their own power so it would be self-contained.

The half life of a radioactive isotope is constant.

The problem is more that nuclear waste is much more concentrated than what is found in nature.

The problem is more that nuclear waste is much more concentrated than what is found in nature.
so its better to secure it as far away from humans as possible,, like underground in a secure place,,

yeah. i think that is why e.g. the iranians go to the trouble with all the centrifuges instead of digging around in the dirt. i could be wrong though.

Very cool, I'm jealous. I love natural disasters, well at least the ones that involve power outages.

I have the same issue here. When the power goes out the first thing that comes to mind is: "You get ONE flush, make it count". Actually if there's a power outage it usually means the creek just across the way is swollen with water, so I'll take a bucket over there to refill the toilet tank. For drinking and cooking I have backup stored water to tide me over until if need be I can drive up the road to a local spring. Wood stove and/or propane camping stove for cooking. If it's arctic weather and the reefer is off I can just store food out in the car. That's why I like power outages -- it makes ya get creative. And if you live in a lighted area (I don't any more) you get to see stars.

Fuck creative. Power goes out, I fire up my generator.

And that's being creative, step one.

I ran an entire radio station that way once when the local power system went down. (Not including transmitter which was not affected).

so its better to secure it as far away from humans as possible,, like underground in a secure place,,

Yup.

The deeper the better.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be using nuclear power.

We should however stop using uranium. Uranium is about as common as platinum and no one in their right mind would want to burn platinum as fuel.

yeah. i think that is why e.g. the iranians go to the trouble with all the centrifuges instead of digging around in the dirt. i could be wrong though.

That's the problem with using uranium for nuclear reactor fuel. The enrichment process is difficult

The irony of this event is oh so delicious

Nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend's freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

Where's the "irony"? :dunno:

It's so obvious, that I don't know how to respond to someone incapable of seeing it.

There seems to be a lot of that going around. It's not you, no one else had an answer either.

That's the problem with using uranium for nuclear reactor fuel. The enrichment process is difficult
yeah. why not skip it and just use uranium found in the dirt.

^^ in mocking response to this genius: "so you cried when you found out we were burying something we dug out of the ground,,"

^^ in mocking response to this genius: "so you cried when you found out we were burying something we dug out of the ground,,"

I didn't "cry " about anything.

You must have me confused with someone else.

I am all for nuclear power always have been.

We need to stop using uranium because it's too expensive.

Yup.

The deeper the better.

We should however stop using uranium. Uranium is about as common as platinum and no one in their right mind would want to burn platinum as fuel.
I'm all for nuclear,, and the tech and safety measures have only gotten better ,,

I have heard there are much safer options, but thats being controlled by government and as of yet I dont think theyve approved any of them,,

I didn't "cry " about anything.

You must have me confused with someone else.

I am all for nuclear power always have been.

We need to stop using uranium because it's too expensive.
sorry for the confusion. i know that you did not write the cited part. but it is part of the thread. you answered the genius.

Yup.

The deeper the better.

I'm all for nuclear,, and the tech and safety measures have only gotten better ,,

I have heard there are much safer options, but thats being controlled by government and as of yet I dont think theyve approved any of them,,

We won't be approving any new nuclear reactors because the politicians are idiots.

Yup.

The deeper the better.

We won't be approving any new nuclear reactors because the politicians are idiots.
idiots or plain evil,,,

Forum List

Back