🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fuck these new TV's

You should have given it to ol' Grampy-- -- he would have installed water cooled jackets on it and colored lights under the hood and fixed it right up for you. Open beer bottles for ya too . . . . :21:
See, there you go, TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS.

Most modern PROFESSIONAL pcs are liquid cooled

If someone from the 1950s time traveled into the future and suddenly appeared today, what would be the most challenging thing to explain about modern life? One answer: “I possess a device in my pocket that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.” ~ Via Reddit
So then Ancient Egyptians must of had visions of us using dog ,cat, and bird filters-that explains the hybrid hieroglyphics. 😄

You hit the nail on the head not being able to find a suitable replacement. The aim of all technology companies is to get good reviews and a good display in the showroom. Very few people know exactly what they are buying. They look at a long list of features such such as wifi, super sound and super resolution, and long lists of stuff they never heard of that will be essentially useless for most viewing. When you get the set home then you start seeing that it doesn't work well with your old sound bar or you have to turn the TV off and pair it every time you use your earphones. Then you find that the all purpose remote that comes with the TV does not support all functions of your cable box or other external input so you find your yourself having to use the TV remote, cable box remote plus a keyboard and mouse in order to use all functions.

Basically technology companies have to offer a steady stream of new features which customers have to adapt to like it or not when they purchase a new device. If you stay with the same brand, the transition is easier but not seamless.

Good points. When my buddy and I used to design stereo gear for ourselves, I remember one day asking him why no one sold an amp as good! His answer was DESIGNED OBSOLESCENCE-- while we were aiming to make the best amp we knew how he pointed out that with consumer products, there is always a factor of designed obsolescence involved where basically, they already have several improvements ahead of it so that each year they can bring out new models with new features, most of which do little but are marketed to make the consumer want them, then release them as needed to keep people buying news stuff all the time.

Mesta Machine and Hafler are two companies which both went out of business because they built such good products that their old stuff never wore out or needed replaced!

Until you view something like
"My Bloody Valentine" in 3d with the pop out effects and depth fields, you don't know what you've been missing with just 2d video.

I think one of the most impressive visuals was a brief shot in The Force Awakens, where it looks like a Star Destroyer is floating there in my living room, about halfway between my TV and my couch. It almost seems like I should be able to reach out from my couch and touch it. Not a big, flashy scene, with lots of action; just this one object, that so realistically looks like its right there in front of me, almost within my reach.

We weren't talking about PROFESSIONAL pc's lol.
I said in my very first post that I was talking about MY computer which is an $8000 MacPro. I even included detailed photos. What part of that did you miss?

You asked about my pcs computing power and I told you 9 terraflops.
A terraflop is a nebulous term which is determined by a combination of many things in many ways. My computer CPU overclocks to 3.65 GHz. That is more than enough speed for anything I can imagine. If you had viewed that link I sent you on MacPros, you'd already have all the answers to the questions you ask. Besides, you have a lot of nerve demanding answers when you've answered none of mine!

I think one of the most impressive visuals was a brief shot in The Force Awakens, where it looks like a Star Destroyer is floating there in my living room, about halfway between my TV and my couch. It almost seems like I should be able to reach out from my couch and touch it. Not a big, flashy scene, with lots of action; just this one object, that so realistically looks like its right there in front of me, almost within my reach.

Strange. I was using my movie archive last night (a drive system I made which stores and retrieves HD recordings) and came across that movie in the database after watching something else so decided to check it out as well!

STILL not impressed with what Disney did to Star Wars but I like the part where they launch the death star planet killer weapon and take out the Republic.

Good points. When my buddy and I used to design stereo gear for ourselves, I remember one day asking him why no one sold an amp as good! His answer was DESIGNED OBSOLESCENCE-- while we were aiming to make the best amp we knew how he pointed out that with consumer products, there is always a factor of designed obsolescence involved where basically, they already have several improvements ahead of it so that each year they can bring out new models with new features, most of which do little but are marketed to make the consumer want them, then release them as needed to keep people buying news stuff all the time.

Mesta Machine and Hafler are two companies which both went out of business because they built such good products that their old stuff never wore out or needed replaced!
When I use to buy audio equipment, the Cadillac was McIntosh Labs. They made high end equipment that that really last. I remember buying a used amp that was tens year old and it was as good as new. I wonder if they are still in business.

Where I find this most disturbing is computer application software such as financial management software. Every new release the company makes major changes in their user interface adding new features that seem really trivial. Worst of all they often screw up critical parts of the software such as being able to connect to your financial institutions. I would be happy to pay them to leave the damn thing alone.

Last edited:
STILL not impressed with what Disney did to Star Wars but I like the part where they launch the death star planet killer weapon and take out the Republic.

I though that The Force Awakens was a strong start to the sequel trilogy. I have no complaint at all with that movie.

From there, it just turned to shit. I got the sense that The Last Jedi was written by someone who had no clue where the story was supposed to go from The Force Awakens, and that, in turn, The Rise of Skywalker was written by someone who had no clue where the story was supposed to go after the two previous movies. And Bringing Palpatine back felt like some very bad mutation of a deus ex machina—perhaps you could call it a diabolus ex machina.

Sort of like the demo of the giant fish coming nose to nose in front of you, I'll have to check that out, thanks.

When I use to buy audio equipment, the Cadillac was McIntosh Labs. They made high end equipment that that really last. I remember buying a used amp that was tens year old and it was as good as new. I wonder if they are still in business.
Old McIntoshes go for a lot of money now. I think someone bought the name but I don't think the original company is still in business.

I though that The Force Awakens was a strong start to the sequel trilogy. I have no complaint at all with that movie.
I found it very predictable with nothing really original, just a rehashing of old themes and the use of Princess Leia, Carrie Fisher had really gone downhill, looked bad and talked like her teeth were wired shut plus the two main new characters very PC. Harrison Ford kinda saved the movie.

Strange. I was using my movie archive last night (a drive system I made which stores and retrieves HD recordings) and came across that movie in the database after watching something else so decided to check it out as well!

Movies and TV typically run at 24fps. A cheap phone can handle those types of files

Forum List

Back