Gay hair stylist refuses to serve governor

And by the way this story is over two years old... it's not a "current event" at all.

>> None of it would have happened if not for Chris Christie, the Republican governor of New Jersey. Darden had known that Martinez opposed marriage equality but had been willing to cut her hair regardless. It was only when the governor was asked about Christie's opposition to a bill legalizing same sex marriage in New Jersey -- and responded that she would oppose a similar bill in New Mexico -- that he chose to speak out. << --Hairstylist Prompted by Chris Christie Gay Marriage Veto

This is not a denial to a whole group, it is a denial to ONE person the hairdresser deems to be a blithering idiot.

Even a blithering idiot knows not to let a hostile near her hair.

And a baker refused to bake a cake for one couple. And she was put out of business for refusing to do so.

Intent. Motivation. The baker would refuse every same gendered couple, not just the one who brought it to court. The blithering idiot was not refused because of her membership with a larger group, but because of what comes out of her individual mouth.

The governor should file a lawsuit against the little whiny bigot for refusing to cut her hair.

Of course she won't, she has too much class (unlike the other side) and will simply go elsewhere.

Stylist Won't Cut Governor's Hair Over Gay Marriage Stance

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez (R) "has lost a hair stylist thanks to her position against gay marriage,"*KOB TV*reports."Antonio Darden, a popular stylist who runs Antonio's Hair Studio in Santa Fe, said he cut Martinez' hair three times, but that's it -- unless she changes her mind about gay marriage."Said Darden: "The governor's aides called not too long ago, wanting another appointment to come in. Because of her stances and her views on this I told her aides no. They called the next day, asking if I'd changed my mind about taking the governor in and I said no again."

Why would you want to cut the hair of the person who doesn't believe you deserve to be treated as an equal?

The governor should file a lawsuit against the little whiny bigot for refusing to cut her hair.

Of course she won't, she has too much class (unlike the other side) and will simply go elsewhere.

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez (R) "has lost a hair stylist thanks to her position against gay marriage,"*KOB TV*reports."Antonio Darden, a popular stylist who runs Antonio's Hair Studio in Santa Fe, said he cut Martinez' hair three times, but that's it -- unless she changes her mind about gay marriage."Said Darden: "The governor's aides called not too long ago, wanting another appointment to come in. Because of her stances and her views on this I told her aides no. They called the next day, asking if I'd changed my mind about taking the governor in and I said no again."

Wait, a gay hair stylist had a chance to royally screw with a bigoted Governor's hair and passed it up? Moron. :)

Why would you want to cut the hair of the person who doesn't believe you deserve to be treated as an equal?

The same reason the goverment thought a baker against gay marrige had to bake a cake for a couple of queers. The hair dresser should lose her job. Fair is fair.

So...disagreeing with a politician makes one a bigot.....lot of bigots out there.....

Since the governor is Hispanic, looks to me like that automatically makes the hairdresser a bigot for refusing to serve her.

You reap what you sow toots.

And by this ‘logic’ you and others on the right who disagree with Obama are ‘automatically’ racists.

Wow, never heard that one before. Lol

Why would you want to bake a wedding cake for a wedding that doesn't fit into your personal religious beliefs ? You do believe in freedom of religion, right ?

I posted this story a few years ago when it came out.

After her stylist left her, she looked like a dog. No wonder she's desperate.

Funny how you can depend on someone you feel don't deserve the same rights or respect you feel you deserve. At least the gay has a real job.

There are sooooooo many good stylists. Just find a new stylist. I'm sure the hateful hypocrite won't be missed. I wouldn't let someone that full of hate touch my hair.

It might be fun.............once. :D

IF she is breaking any of the state's equal access laws, yes the Governor has the right to sue. Pretty clear.
Nah, I think she should do what is supposed to be done, and that is to go to another stylist. People need to quit being blackmailed into not having a choice because of what they believe or don't believe on their religious grounds. Enough of this idiocy already that is going on in this nation. As long as the envelope is being pushed more and more in this nation, then we will see these things escalate more and more, so look for it to get worse and not better as time goes on.

Last edited:
According to this hairdresser all the baker would have to do is tell the gay couple that because of their political opinion on gay rights they can't get their cake.
The Law:

"As of July 1, 2003, New Mexico non-discrimination law extends to categories of "sexual orientation and gender identity" as well as "race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, physical or mental handicap or serious medial condition." An Act Relating to Human Rights, N.M. S.B. 28 to be codified at ch. 196, N.M. Stat. Ann. §§ 28-1-2, 7, 9 (April 8, 2003); N.M. Stat. Ann. § 28-1-7 (2001).

Sexual orientation is defined to mean: heterosexuality, homosexuality or bisexuality, whether actual or perceived. Under the law, it is illegal to discriminate against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and heterosexuals in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations and union membership. Sexual orientation discrimination is also prohibited in New Mexico public employment by executive order. New Mexico Exec. Order No. 85-15 (Apr. 1, 1985). linky dink

There's nothing in there about political views.

There are sooooooo many good stylists. Just find a new stylist. I'm sure the hateful hypocrite won't be missed. I wouldn't let someone that full of hate touch my hair.
Might be the first time that she found out how this person thinks, and now she more than likely will be finding herself another hair stylist for sure. It's really good that nothing worse happened, like the stylist giving her an Ellen hairstyle maybe, with rainbow colors installed, and this while her back was turned away from the mirror when she had asked for a Raquel Welch hairstyle instead. LOL

Paul Revere needs to ride once again I guess, except this time maybe yelling "gay marriage is coming, gay marriage is coming", no wait it's already here in some states, so how can anyone not bump into this mess if it keeps on these days ? Their like the body snatchers aren't they(?), except in this situation they are snatching states. Will this nation have to separate along religious lines, and create sectors/states that people will want to move into in order to get their brand of freedom acknowledged once again, and this just so everyone will be happy now ? Will they want to do this as so not to be abused by the other for whom they do not agree with, and this upon their religious and moral grounds ? How does people respect one another in these new and unique situations that are becoming a huge issue for many these days, and especially as the doors are swinging wide open now on those things in which so many are still in disagreement with (Gay Marriage) ? It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out over time or as time moves on in all of this. Carry on.

Last edited:
According to this hairdresser all the baker would have to do is tell the gay couple that because of their political opinion on gay rights they can't get their cake.
The Law:

"As of July 1, 2003, New Mexico non-discrimination law extends to categories of "sexual orientation and gender identity" as well as "race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, physical or mental handicap or serious medial condition." An Act Relating to Human Rights, N.M. S.B. 28 to be codified at ch. 196, N.M. Stat. Ann. §§ 28-1-2, 7, 9 (April 8, 2003); N.M. Stat. Ann. § 28-1-7 (2001).

Sexual orientation is defined to mean: heterosexuality, homosexuality or bisexuality, whether actual or perceived. Under the law, it is illegal to discriminate against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and heterosexuals in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations and union membership. Sexual orientation discrimination is also prohibited in New Mexico public employment by executive order. New Mexico Exec. Order No. 85-15 (Apr. 1, 1985). linky dink

It's all been done sort of like a 3000 page bill being passed, where as no body reads it before it is passed, and then they later learn of the many things that the bill or law had packed inside of it, and for which at that point becomes a shocker to the people who had then foolishly voted on it. There are many things that can be snuck in or are continually added, that becomes those things in which may not have been allowed in a law or bill that to be passed, if the bill would have been read prior too the good citizens passing it or allowing it to be passed into law by their votes or agreement upon as given unto their representatives.

The way that these things have gone on lately, is exactly the reason why we are having all the debates and situations that we all now have going on today in all of this stuff. Then we have federal judges who are ruling not based on past law or precedent correctly, in which was agreed upon around the time when all the nation was united, and was in the closest ways that it had ever been at times, but instead with each ruling that it makes anymore, it seems to be destroying that unity with almost every ruling that it is making these days. This is in contrast to the things in which most Americans still do believe in, and still agree upon as a majority.

Look gay's are all over the place we know, and they have been all over the place for ever and a day now, but when they say that people are wrong on this and wrong on that, and therefore they are pushing their way into every facet of ones belief systems and cultures, then it becomes a huge problem, and by this aren't they (the gay's), not therefore attempting to cancel out those beliefs (as for one example) on the sanctity of marriage being between one man and one woman in the holy sanctity of that marriage, in which has been held in the eyes of those who have believed in this for ever and a day now ? If so then Houston we have a problem, and it's a clash of course between these groups. Now what the right answer will be is any ones guess at this time, so lets all just hope it can be resolved finally, but is the nation ready for the government to try and solve it for them ?

Last edited:
The Law:

Nor about retail sales or private businesses.

I think it's time to declare 'open season' on all Queers.

And see, right there is where this thing is heating up to come to. You can only hog tie reasonable people who tolerate quite a lot actually from the church of LGBT before they blow a cork and this stuff starts happening.

That's why I said that the Supreme Court shirked its obligation to spell out what Windsor means exactly and instead throw its interpretation out to the general public to duke it out in the streets. Because they are and they will and this isn't going to go away until SCOTUS takes a minute to explain to everyone what they meant when they said in Windsor that states have the "unquestioned authority" to say via a broad consensus, "yes" or "no" to gay marriage.

When everyone understands that and Utah's sovereignty to govern behaviors that may and may not marry is restored, and all the other states it was forcibly taken away from by judicial or legislative fiat are restored as well, then all these laws governing who may or may not refuse to make gay wedding cakes is moot. If gay weddings are illegal in Arizona, California, Utah, Nevada, Kansas, Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky etc. etc., then nobody will be able to sue anyone for refusing to make a "gay wedding" cake.

Dear Silhouette:

1. one problem is when the power IS given to the states, but people disagree religiously, the state technically is NOT supposed to decide impose or mandate a decision about religious beliefs, favoring one side over others. To be completely fair, the state should ideally refuse to endorse or enforce any policy except by consent of all people represented, in order to avoid imposing a bias which discriminates against ANY group based on creed.

2. if people DON'T have equal faith in forming a consensus (such as A. agreeing to one policy B. agreeing to separate their policies from the state and have their own policies in private C. agreeing to word the laws to be neutral, neither banning nor imposing one way or another) then this causes an ADDITIONAL problem: what we see now, of people pushing politically to overrule the views of the other side by majority. either way that is wrongful.

3. I think the best way to reach the people, to organize in teams and form a consensus on policy [either separately or working together] is through PARTY. so instead of fighting through courts and legislature when it is CLEAR people have conflicting religious views that won't change, petition to address and resolve this through party. Even if it means creating a authorities within parties that perform and provide these functions other parties don't support. Similar to religious denominations doing things separately from other churches.
And quit imposing private beliefs on the public, where it goes against religious beliefs.

Forum List

Back