Gay Marriage is a Lie: Honest or Disagree?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
Gay Marriage Is A Lie: Lesbian Masha Gessen And Glenn Beck Agree

I ran into a disagreement with someone over Masha Gessen's statement
that Gay Marriage is a Lie. I thought she was being honest.

I believe that the religious and spiritual beliefs about marriage should remain private or through the church, and the state/govt should only handle civil contracts by consensus without any religious bias either way. So that part of marriage doesn't belong under govt jurisdiction.

What do you think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9M0xcs2Vw4]Gay Marriage is a Lie: Destruction of Marriage, Masha Gessen - YouTube[/ame]

I believe that the religious and spiritual beliefs about marriage should remain private or through the church, and the state/govt should only handle civil contracts by consensus without any religious bias either way. So that part of marriage doesn't belong under govt jurisdiction.

What do you think?

Gay Marriage is a Lie: Destruction of Marriage, Masha Gessen - YouTube

What have YOU personally and actively done to get government out of the marriage business?

I think that no matter how many words you use, or how pretty you try to dress things up, anything other than full equality will clearly shine forth as 'separate but equal.'

And therefore unacceptable.

What do you think?
Gay marriage is allowing two gay adults the same equality before the law that my wife and I had, when we paid $25 for a License from the State, a Marriage License, that changed our lives forever and so far, until death.

I think that no matter how many words you use, or how pretty you try to dress things up, anything other than full equality will clearly shine forth as 'separate but equal.'

And therefore unacceptable.
Nicely said.

What do you think?
Gay marriage is allowing two gay adults the same equality before the law that my wife and I had, when we paid $25 for a License from the State, a Marriage License, that changed our lives forever and so far, until death.

a civil union would do exactly the same thing, for you or a gay couple. The word "marriage" applies only to the union of one man and one woman.

The gay agenda is not about equality or justice. Its about forcing the acceptance of the word marriage to describe a homosexual union.

I can understand the religious aspect if that's your faith. For those that are upset because they may get benefits that married couples get? That should not be a factor.

What do you think?

a civil union would do exactly the same thing, for you or a gay couple. The word "marriage" applies only to the union of one man and one woman.

The gay agenda is not about equality or justice. Its about forcing the acceptance of the word marriage to describe a homosexual union.
That's just dumb. You are hung up on a word while missing a key American value, Equality. What matters more, the word or the value?

What do you think?

It doesn’t matter what anyone ‘thinks,’ what only matters is what the law says.

Consequently, there is no such thing as ‘gay marriage,’ there is only marriage law, as written by the states and administered by state courts. Marriage is contract law, and the states determine the contract law within their jurisdictions.

Marriage cannot be ‘removed’ from government, as the marriage contract involves not only the two equal partners, but the state as well; and the state participates in the contract because it perceives promoting marriage as beneficial to the state.

What is a lie is that same-sex couples may not enter into these contracts with the state, when in fact same-sex couples are indeed eligible to participate in the marriage contract, because the contract law is written to accommodate two equal partners, same- or opposite-sex.

Religious doctrine and dogma with regard to marriage have nothing to do with the civil laws that govern marriage contracts; members of the clergy are authorized by the states to administer marriage contracts, but the religious entities themselves are not subject to secular law, and may instruct their clergy to not accommodate same-sex couples.

This is not the case with the states, however, as they are subject to equal protection jurisprudence and must allow same-sex couples access to their marriage laws; this can be accomplished with a civil ceremony presided over by a judge or justice of the peace, or by a member of the clergy whose religious organization allows same-sex couples to participate.

What do you think?

Incorrect.

‘Civil unions’ incorporating the same contract law as marriage would be legally superfluous, impossible to administer, and a violation of the 14th Amendment, where ‘separate but equal’ is just as un-Constitutional today as it was 60 years ago.

The ignorant notion of ‘civil unions’ is a partisan contrivance by the social right, a façade behind which most conservatives seek to hide their hatred of gay Americans, and their desire to deny them their civil liberties; your reference to the rightist myth of a 'gay agenda' is proof of that.

Marriage is a legal arrangement backed by a recognized legal contract that carries with it special treatment under the law.

That is all it is. To say that some people can benefit from this type of contract and some cannot is wrong.

What do you think?

Defining deviancy down, trying to re-order nature itself. The natural order of things...it doesn't work, and never will...only fosters turmoil.

Defining deviancy down, trying to re-order nature itself. The natural order of things...it doesn't work, and never will...only fosters turmoil.
And should we be able to prove, to your satisfaction, that gay is "natural", then what? Will you be okay with it then?

Last edited:
And should we be able to prove, to your satisfaction, that gay is "natural", then what? Will you be okay with it then?
Is it really? I don't have a problem with the behavior other than the FORCED ACCEPTENCE aspect...and NO you can't re-arrange nature and expect normalcy.

What do you think?

Gay Marriage is a Lie: Destruction of Marriage, Masha Gessen - YouTube

Let us all know when the government ends their involvement in marriages.

What do you think?

So...why did the red states pass laws making civil unions illegal/not recognized?

Incorrect.

‘Civil unions’ incorporating the same contract law as marriage would be legally superfluous, impossible to administer, and a violation of the 14th Amendment, where ‘separate but equal’ is just as un-Constitutional today as it was 60 years ago.

The ignorant notion of ‘civil unions’ is a partisan contrivance by the social right, a façade behind which most conservatives seek to hide their hatred of gay Americans, and their desire to deny them their civil liberties; your reference to the rightist myth of a 'gay agenda' is proof of that.

Where was Redfish when non-religious couples got "married"?

Is it really? I don't have a problem with the behavior other than the FORCED ACCEPTENCE aspect...and NO you can't re-arrange nature and expect normalcy.
What if gay is natural, but it's just natural for a minority of the population? Will you accept it then?

Forum List

Back