🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gay marriage legal in Massachussetts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Syntax_Divinity
No offense man. It's just that I've read so many posts on social issues on this board that just degenerate into nonsense and bullshit instead of real ideas and issues with real consequences. I wasn't dissing anyone in particular, I'm just tired of threads that end with meaningless personal attacks and garbage in place of genuine debate.

For Christ sake then don't read it!

If a tree falls in the forrest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound.

This statement is ,as alluded to earlier, is in the form of a zen koan. It is a type of riddle if you will so when you think about it, it takes you beyond your present plane of consciousness and hopefully outside your "self". In this way you are able to see further and are not blinded by your own thoughts.

Make it a science argument if you wish but you have missed the point

hope springs eternal. reminds of something my mother told or passed along to me:

"it's all ok in the end. if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Originally posted by dilloduck
If a tree falls in the forrest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound.

This statement is ,as alluded to earlier, is in the form of a zen koan. It is a type of riddle if you will so when you think about it, it takes you beyond your present plane of consciousness and hopefully outside your "self". In this way you are able to see further and are not blinded by your own thoughts.

Make it a science argument if you wish but you have missed the point

Whether you're there to hear it or not is irrelevant. The damn tree makes a huge thud! We all know it. There's no question about it. Now it seems there are those who want to debate the issue philosophically....

...START A NEW THREAD WITH IT THEN!

It's hard enough to keep up with this one ON TOPIC!

Originally posted by Aquarian
hope springs eternal. reminds of something my mother told or passed along to me:

"it's all ok in the end. if it's not ok, it's not the end"

Hmmm. Nice thought. But I'm not inclined to go along with it. If there's no conciquences to ones actions in life, then what's the point?

And therein lies the major reason for the different positions on gay marriage and homosexuality.

Originally posted by Pale Rider
If there's no conciquences to ones actions in life, then what's the point?

Not sure what you mean here, all of our lives and actions have consequences.

there are direct, earthly consequences to every action in life. There may or may not be consequences after death, of any of several varieties from heaven/hell, reincarnation etc. as to what's the point? maybe, just maybe, there is no point. It is a natural reaction for man to look around the universe and wonder why it is here, why he is here but just because we wonder doesn't mean there's a reason for any of it. Douglas adam's had a really good passage in one of his speeches quoted in 'the salmon of doubt' on this but I don't have it handy to transcribe currently...

there are direct, earthly consequences to every action in life. There may or may not be consequences after death, of any of several varieties from heaven/hell, reincarnation etc. as to what's the point? maybe, just maybe, there is no point. It is a natural reaction for man to look around the universe and wonder why it is here, why he is here but just because we wonder doesn't mean there's a reason for any of it. Douglas adam's had a really good passage in one of his speeches quoted in 'the salmon of doubt' on this but I don't have it handy to transcribe currently...

Shouldn't this be a new topic? I just looked at the title of this thread and... we're talking about the meaning of the universe?

edit: interesting nonetheless

Originally posted by nycflasher
Shouldn't this be a new topic? I just looked at the title of this thread and... we're talking about the meaning of the universe?

edit: interesting nonetheless

However it does tie in with the topic of this thread.

Will gays ever pay for their life style after they die? That's the current thought. And we've reasoned, it depends on if you believe it will or not, religon playing into that or not.

Will gays ever pay for their life style after they die? That's the current thought. And we've reasoned, it depends on if you believe it will or not, religon playing into that or not.

wouldn't that be their fate? their decision? therefore their fault?

IMO, this would be about as relevant to gay marriage as OCA's claim that gays are abnormal. Not at all.

What is relevant, are reasons why they should or should not be allowed to marry... according to the LAW.

Originally posted by dilloduck
somebody call the medical examiner-------I see a dead thread

Get your ass in here Quincy !

He-he. I use to dig that show.

Can you dig it?:D

actually, the dictionary definition of sound from dictionary.com:

the first definition does reference humans, but only in ascertaining the range of hertz that make a sound detectable to a human. it says capable of being detected and nothing about the necessity of the sound being detected in order to differentiate it from the soundwaves it comprises.
Therein lies the barb in the discussion: <i>capable of being detected</i>. It cannot be detected if there is nothing there capable of detecting it. Or, you could argue that it could, but you could never prove it.

Granted, this discussion depends on the definition used to define sound... there are definitions that are not dependent upon the capability issue and using those definitions there would be sound due to the vibrations.

TN

Originally posted by TN_Independent
Therein lies the barb in the discussion: <i>capable of being detected</i>. It cannot be detected if there is nothing there capable of detecting it. Or, you could argue that it could, but you could never prove it.

Granted, this discussion depends on the definition used to define sound... there are definitions that are not dependent upon the capability issue and using those definitions there would be sound due to the vibrations.

TN

What are you talking about?

You have moral relativism type thinking mixed with "if I don't see it, it doesn't exist."

Anything that happens in life has consequences.
Just because you do not observe it, it doesn't mean it doesn't affect you.
Just because you don't observe it, it doesn't mean it does not exist.

Life exists outside your fishbowl.

All things are not perspective only.

That is the issue here, you think there are no such things as absolutes. -Except absolute paradox of absolute subjectiveness determining reality.

COMPLETELY FALSE, ILLOGICAL AND DISPROVEN.

Originally posted by nycflasher
He-he. I use to dig that show.

Can you dig it?:D

Flasher/Chippewa the fact that you felt you had to use two nics on a political messageboard to bolster your points makes all your input irrelevant to any topic here. You my friend have a serious credibility problem here that you need to deal with before going forward.

But again the question, how long will you go on denying and making a fool out of yourself before you fess up? You are caught dead to rights.

Originally posted by NewGuy
What are you talking about?

You have moral relativism type thinking mixed with "if I don't see it, it doesn't exist."

Anything that happens in life has consequences.
Just because you do not observe it, it doesn't mean it doesn't affect you.
Just because you don't observe it, it doesn't mean it does not exist.

Life exists outside your fishbowl.

All things are not perspective only.

That is the issue here, you think there are no such things as absolutes. -Except absolute paradox of absolute subjectiveness determining reality.

COMPLETELY FALSE, ILLOGICAL AND DISPROVEN.

I just did 10 push-ups. In what way did it affect you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back