George Washington wasn't a Deist

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
After spending over a decade of research going through all the original documents of George Washington, Lillback has exposed the myths about this true man of Christian faith, and proven without a doubt that Washington was a follower of Christ Jesus and not merely a Deist.

I found this book on Amazon. I'm going to be reading it to learn more about what a Deist was and the difference between George Washington and the myths of today.

I already purchased it for my Kindle Fire and I hope to dispel the myth.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089P73BM/ref=docs-os-doi_0]Amazon.com: George Washington's Sacred Fire eBook: Jerry Newcombe, Peter A. Lillback: Kindle Store[/ame]

Thomas Jefferson is routinely portrayed as opposing religion and Government mixing, yet he went to Church every Sunday in Washington DC while President.

Nope. He was Episcopalian. Good book btw.

Washington would never take the sacrament.

Could be a couple of reasons. He didn't want to recognize the king of England. A Biblical reason was he owned slaves and discerned the Lord's body which would be a reason in his mind not to take it. Another reason was he didn't wish to cause division among the churches by taking it.

Even slave owners could be christians...

He instructed his wife to free his slaves before her death and to have his estate care for them according to a different book I read. His concern was his estate remaining solvent and part of a reason in my mind was for the estate to care for his slaves.

Thomas Jefferson is routinely portrayed as opposing religion and Government mixing, yet he went to Church every Sunday in Washington DC while President.

And may I add....

"It is no exaggeration to say that on Sundays in Washington during the administrations of Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) and of James Madison (1809-1817) the state became the church. Within a year of his inauguration, Jefferson began attending church services in the House of Representatives. Madison followed Jefferson's example, although unlike Jefferson, who rode on horseback to church in the Capitol, Madison came in a coach and four.

Worship services in the House--a practice that continued until after the Civil War--were acceptable to Jefferson because they were nondiscriminatory and voluntary. Preachers of every Protestant denomination appeared. (Catholic priests began officiating in 1826.) As early as January 1806 a female evangelist, Dorothy Ripley, delivered a camp meeting-style exhortation in the House to Jefferson, Vice President Aaron Burr, and a "crowded audience."

Throughout his administration Jefferson permitted church services in executive branch buildings. The Gospel was also preached in the Supreme Court chambers.

Jefferson's actions may seem surprising because his attitude toward the relation between religion and government is usually thought to have been embodied in his recommendation that there exist "a wall of separation between church and state." In that statement, Jefferson was apparently declaring his opposition, as Madison had done in introducing the Bill of Rights, to a "national" religion. In attending church services on public property, Jefferson and Madison consciously and deliberately were offering symbolic support to religion as a prop for republican government."
Religion and the Federal Government, Part 2 - Religion and the Founding of the American Republic | Exhibitions (Library of Congress)

Nope. He was Episcopalian. Good book btw.

So some say. The evidence, not so clear.

He served as an Anglican Vestryman for 15 years. Yet, we are supposed to believe he wasn't faithful.

The catholic church spent decades running a syndicate that managed the sexual and emotional abuse of young boys. Yet, we are supposed to believe the priests weren't faithful?

Last edited:

And may I add....

"It is no exaggeration to say that on Sundays in Washington during the administrations of Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) and of James Madison (1809-1817) the state became the church. Within a year of his inauguration, Jefferson began attending church services in the House of Representatives. Madison followed Jefferson's example, although unlike Jefferson, who rode on horseback to church in the Capitol, Madison came in a coach and four.

Worship services in the House--a practice that continued until after the Civil War--were acceptable to Jefferson because they were nondiscriminatory and voluntary. Preachers of every Protestant denomination appeared. (Catholic priests began officiating in 1826.) As early as January 1806 a female evangelist, Dorothy Ripley, delivered a camp meeting-style exhortation in the House to Jefferson, Vice President Aaron Burr, and a "crowded audience."

Throughout his administration Jefferson permitted church services in executive branch buildings. The Gospel was also preached in the Supreme Court chambers.

Jefferson's actions may seem surprising because his attitude toward the relation between religion and government is usually thought to have been embodied in his recommendation that there exist "a wall of separation between church and state." In that statement, Jefferson was apparently declaring his opposition, as Madison had done in introducing the Bill of Rights, to a "national" religion. In attending church services on public property, Jefferson and Madison consciously and deliberately were offering symbolic support to religion as a prop for republican government."
Religion and the Federal Government, Part 2 - Religion and the Founding of the American Republic | Exhibitions (Library of Congress)

One of the Jefferson "Bibles" he wrote where he cut out the miracles was actually a book on the teachings of Christ he wrote to use as a missionary tract to the Native Americans.

He served as an Anglican Vestryman for 15 years. Yet, we are supposed to believe he wasn't faithful.

The catholic church spent decades running a syndicate that managed the sexual and emotional abuse of young boys. Yet, we are supposed to believe the priests weren't faithful?

What does the Catholic Church have to do with the Episcopalian?

Even slave owners could be christians...

He instructed his wife to free his slaves before her death and to have his estate care for them according to a different book I read. His concern was his estate remaining solvent and part of a reason in my mind was for the estate to care for his slaves.

Actually, his will stated that his slaves would be freed upon his wife's death....Now....imagine being an old lady on a plantation with a few hundred slaves that will be free upon your death.......that's why Martha, the very next day after George's death, moved to the attic bedroom and slept with a locked door and a loaded pistol.

What does righteousness, character, morality, ethics or honor have to with religion?

I see religious people behaving no differently than those without religion.

What does righteousness, character, morality, ethics or honor have to with religion?

I do because I hang around them.

Hollie,

There are those who believe and there are those who don't believe. Those who don't believe come along for different reasons and there are people who think they understand the message who come along. Then there are those who try to keep themselves pure.

In the end, God is going to separate the sheep from the goats and then everyone will be able to see clearly.

Chuck

Or that, like most, with age his thinking evolved.
Like Lincoln did? :eusa_angel:

"When any church will inscribe over its altar, as its sole qualification for membership, the Savior's condensed statement of the substance of both law and Gospel, 'Thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul and thy neighbor as thyself' that church will I join with all my heart and all my soul."

One of Lincoln's earliest statements on the subject of his faith came in 1846:

"That I am not a member of any Christian church is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular....I do not think I could myself be brought to support a man for office whom I knew to be an open enemy of, or scoffer at, religion." [July 31, 1846]

And may I add....

The wall is to prevent government from interfering with the free expression of religion. Government interferes with free expression of religious beliefs mainly by using force to establish an official state religion. Force is used to persecute free religious expression and beliefs. During that time period, a good example is the Church of England.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back