Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

Just heard about this. Will find a link. Kudos to the Senators for hitting back at the NRA. Why should gun owners in Georgia who pay taxes have to support Delta financially?

If Delta doesn't want or need the business of 5 million NRA members why do they even need a tax break?

Delta’s tax break may not take flight after Georgia Senate blocks it

is it the job of the Georgia Senate to shill for the NRA?

psssssst.... that's probably a violation of the first amendment. but good luck with that. :cuckoo:

and if you'll note, your ARTICLE said "might".... it did not say it's a done deal.

NRA shills are funny

Poor Bitter Pillian can't stand it when people she doesn't like use the tactics she supports against her side.

You support Government intimidation on private business deals. How very authoritarian of you.

In light of the FBI investigation of the NRA for money laundering and other questionable practices, their recent ads, any respectable business would cut ties with them.

This won’t go well for the governor or the legislature.

See post #274.

Delta has more than 30,000 employees in Atlanta, both at the airport and its corporate headquarters adjacent to Hartsfield-Jackson. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
They aren't going anywhere.....

Georgia needs Delta more than Delta needs Georgia.

I don't even think it is about that. Delta had the fuel tax exemption until 2015. Now they were slated to get it back. If they do or don't give it back, I am fine.

It is the gov't interference in the affairs of law-abiding private businesses that galls me. And the blatant sellout of the high ranking gov't officials.

Oh, I agree. I don't give a flying fuck whether or not Delta gets a tax break.

I do question the logic of the state declaring war on one of it's biggest employers.

And, of course, I have a big issue with any state using their tax code as a political weapon.

So you're say what, that strategy is reserved only for the feds?
S. 940. The Latest Example of Tax Policy-as-Political-Weapon - Tax Foundation

:lol:

Pro tip: Avoid trying to change the topic so obviously. It looks desperate.

So, pushing aside your dislike, do you believe they should be used as weapons against political opponents?

No, except that's exactly what's been done for over a hundred years. Politicians have been using the tax code to manipulate things in their favor and there seems to be only selective outrage over it.

Delta has more than 30,000 employees in Atlanta, both at the airport and its corporate headquarters adjacent to Hartsfield-Jackson. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)

I don't even think it is about that. Delta had the fuel tax exemption until 2015. Now they were slated to get it back. If they do or don't give it back, I am fine.

It is the gov't interference in the affairs of law-abiding private businesses that galls me. And the blatant sellout of the high ranking gov't officials.

I do question the logic of the state declaring war on one of it's biggest employers.

And, of course, I have a big issue with any state using their tax code as a political weapon.

This organization has been severely criticized for their stances and their review of some tax policies has been called “outright fraud” by respected economists.

Not a reliable source.

So, pushing aside your dislike, do you believe they should be used as weapons against political opponents?

No, except that's exactly what's been done for over a hundred years. Politicians have been using the tax code to manipulate things in their favor and there seems to be only selective outrage over it.

I think there is a difference between your garden-variety crony capitalism and corruption and the Lt. Gov of a state openly and publically holding a tax deal hostage until a private company caves to his whims and once again gives his preferred advocacy group discounted airfare to their convention.

T

This organization has been severely criticized for their stances and their review of some tax policies has been called “outright fraud” by respected economists.

Not a reliable source.

Yeah, I'm sure you have a link on that...otherwise STFU.

I think there is a difference between your garden-variety crony capitalism and corruption and the Lt. Gov of a state openly and publically holding a tax deal hostage until a private company caves to his whims and once again gives his preferred advocacy group discounted airfare to their convention.

Flat tax across the board, no deductions, no corruption

T

Not a reliable source.

Stop being so fucking lazy and do your own damn research.

Tax Foundation - Wikipedia

Sure.

But it's also politically and economically infeasible, just like free healthcare for all, or equal wages for everyone.

T

Not a reliable source.

Stop being so fucking lazy and do your own damn research.

Tax Foundation - Wikipedia

Where do I begin? Wikipedia...LOL. Paul Krugman is your respected economists (suggesting plural)...get back to us when the market tanks.

Sure.

But it's also politically and economically infeasible, just like free healthcare for all, or equal wages for everyone.

There are several countries with flat income taxes. Ironically, some of them are former Communist countries and we are still using the Marxist progressive system.

Sure.

There are several countries with flat income taxes. Ironically, some of them are former Communist countries and we are still using the Marxist progressive system.

Whether it works in other places is irrelevant - for the same reasons that "it works in Norway" is irrelevant when discussing health care in the US. I don't think you can imagine the shock to our economy (and through us, the world's economy) that switching to a flat tax on corporations would do.

As a side note, "progressive taxes" predate Marx by hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Last edited:
Isn't this unfair, maybe illegal, government intrusion? I thought NaziCons were against such stuff.

Curious, what if it had been a discount for members of Planned Parenthood?

You tell me.

How would you feel about this, if a Democratic state representative in New York had held tax breaks for Chik-fil-a hostage unless they gave discounts to members of Planned Parenthood?

How would you feel about this, if a Democratic state representative in New York had held tax breaks for Chik-fil-a hostage unless they gave discounts to members of Planned Parenthood?

First, the scenario is implausible, given that they would have had to be giving discounts to members of Planned Parenthood to begin with.

Second, I wouldn't feel anything. Because Chick-fil-A would manage without them just fine. Considering they were making $8 billion in revenue as of 2016.

Last edited:
Isn't this unfair, maybe illegal, government intrusion? I thought NaziCons were against such stuff.

Curious, what if it had been a discount for members of Planned Parenthood?

You tell me.

Actually a closer analogy would require Chick-fil-a to donate funds to Planned Parenthood, as well as giving discounts to Planned Parenthood card holders.

If, according to Conservative principles, corporations are people...

And if a corporation chooses to make a social engineering advocacy statement by severing ties with another corporation...

And if making a social engineering advocacy statement is an expression of Free Speech...

Then what right does the pi$$ant legislature of the State of Georgia have, to attempt to suppress the Freedom of Speech of such 'people' ?

Sounds downright un-Constitutional to me.

Conservatives should be outraged that the State Senate of Georgia is disincentivizing Free Speech of one of their 'people'.

Un-American, by the look of it.

Forum List

Back