Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

Georgians can take the El Camino instead. After getting down off the cement blocks of course.

Um. You know El Camino’s are collectocars right? A good one can easily fetch $20k.

https://www.autolist.com/chevrolet-el+camino#make=Chevrolet&model=El+Camino&buyer_intelligence=true&sort_new_cars_last=true&page=1&radius=any&location=Ellabell,+GA&latitude=32.181&longitude=-81.5146

Oh, and more are in California. In Georgia they prefer pick up trucks. Ford sells a lot of F-150 while Chevy and Dodge are seen quite often as well.

Now to travel from Savannah to Atlanta you can take four hours flying including security and airport walking times, or drive in the same four hours and have a car when you get there.

Not surprising about the trucks. Ever seen the kind of mud Georgia gets when it rains? Holy cats. Anything that sits too close to the ground ends up drowned.

Well, yeah, being in Savannah, I guess you WOULD have seen it. :) That is some watery, splattery shit.

so the question is why did they feel the need? were they being hassled? because if they felt hassled, like fedex is being hassled, then they did it for that reason and not neutrality.

Why Delta did what they did is unimportant.

What it comes down to is how each individual views the role of the government.

For most of you the role of the government is to try and force one private entity to give financials discounts to another private entity.

I happen to disagree that is the role of the government

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
then it doesn't matter what the state did either. they have that right just like Delta. You keep arguing your own points against yourself.

No, they do not. The state is supposed to be a neutral operator, not biased towards one company over another.

I am with 100% honesty shocked at your view of what the government is supposed to be.

/-----/ How about when States boycotted other states because didn't glob onto gaye marriage or MLK Day? Where was your fake outrage over that?

Can you bring up a thread where that was talked about since I have been on the board? Now, personally I think it is stupid, but it is not the same thing. That is one government vs another government. Not the government vs a private entity.
/----/
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Boycotts North Carolina over Anti ...
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Boycotts North Carolina over Anti-L.G.B.T. Law
Mar 29, 2016 - “In New York, we believe that all people—regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation—deserve the same rights and protections under the eyes of the law,” Cuomo said in a statement, citing the state's history at the forefront L.G.B.T. rights. “From Stonewall to marriage equality, our state has been ...

I'm well aware that companies get tax breaks for all sorts of reasons. I'm sure I disagree with some of those, as well. The state is under no obligation to provide tax breaks for airlines, and I have not once in this thread argued that they are. My argument is, and has been, that the way the Georgia government has gone about this, the explicit way the tax break was made contingent upon Delta giving special treatment to NRA members, is wrong. If Georgia were to make a tax break for Amazon require Amazon give discounts to UNICEF, I would oppose that.
well, again, it's the states call? no different than Delta's to pull the perk from the NRA members. it is no different.

The functions of and rules of operation of government and the functions of and rules of operation of a private business certainly should be different. The difference is that Delta is a private company, while the Georgia government is not. If another company wanted to take a perk away from Delta, I would have no problem with that. For example, if XYZ Glass supplies Delta, and gives them a discount, XYZ Glass could stop giving Delta a discount in response to this and that would be entirely up to them.

And as I've said, if the Georgia government simply said, "We don't feel this tax break is something we can get behind," that would also have been fine. I don't like the government throwing its weight around, so to speak, in a matter between 2 private organizations that involves no illegal actions, and doing it so blatantly. To go back to a quote from Cagle, he said that he would kill tax break legislation unless Delta reinstated its discount for NRA members, and described it as conservatives fighting back. When he is using the power of government, he isn't representing conservatives, he is representing the people of the state of Georgia.

Partisan politics already bothers me, and this seems like taking it just a little step further, or more openly.

Seems to me government trying to run the affairs of private corporations is called fascism.
what is it they're trying to run exactly?

So congress is running my business because they changed the tax code? interesting.

If congress changed the tax code for your business only and told you that it would stay changed unless you paid a tribute to another private entity, then yes it would be.
so a tarrif is a tax, and it is directed at a company by the government. dude, you need to sharpen up on your civics courses.

then i guess think of me not taking a side but trying to understand the motivations behind all the activity and examining our own human behavior. i guess when i do that (a lot it would seem) it can be confusing because i'm not really going at this in a "normal" fashion so fair enough i confuse people at times. i'll work on it.

I think the motivation behind the Delta move are painfully obvious, they thought that it was a good business decision and that continuing to endorse the NRA would be bad for them in the long run. I do not think Delta hates the NRA or gun owners, I think the people making these decisions care about one thing only, money. I would also suspect that they did not expect that removing a discount for one weekend a year to one specific city would cause so much heartache.
and THAT is what i've been saying.

they didn't do this to be neutral. they did it cause of assumed $$$. we can totally agree there then.

people are simply tired of protesters getting their way and businesses caving to the mob mentality. the days you could force a business into this are coming to a close and if you want massive support now, you tell the whiners to bugger off and find something else to do and let them protest away.

so if we agree then it wasn't a "let's stay neutral move" it was business. the state of GA is now doing this for their conservative base but i also agree in an earlier point in that they didn't have time to really ask - they're just doing it in their name.

but when you are doing things emotionally, this is what happens. react, don't think.

blink. :)

A business decision is an neutral decision. A business decision does not care about the NRA or any other group, the only thing that matters in a business decision is how will it impact the bottom line. Nothing is more neutral than that. It is not based on emotion or "liking" something or "hating" something, just MONEY.

I think that the days businesses caving to the mob mentality are coming to a close, I see them getting worse and worse as both sides dig in and refuse to budge an inch.
looks like the impact to Delta will be yuge!!! how stupid for a move to satisfy a mob ruled gang.

How do you figure? Delta and every airline that flies in and out of Atlanta will just raise the price of all of their tickets. Companies never pay the tax, it is always the customers.

well, again, it's the states call? no different than Delta's to pull the perk from the NRA members. it is no different.

The functions of and rules of operation of government and the functions of and rules of operation of a private business certainly should be different. The difference is that Delta is a private company, while the Georgia government is not. If another company wanted to take a perk away from Delta, I would have no problem with that. For example, if XYZ Glass supplies Delta, and gives them a discount, XYZ Glass could stop giving Delta a discount in response to this and that would be entirely up to them.

And as I've said, if the Georgia government simply said, "We don't feel this tax break is something we can get behind," that would also have been fine. I don't like the government throwing its weight around, so to speak, in a matter between 2 private organizations that involves no illegal actions, and doing it so blatantly. To go back to a quote from Cagle, he said that he would kill tax break legislation unless Delta reinstated its discount for NRA members, and described it as conservatives fighting back. When he is using the power of government, he isn't representing conservatives, he is representing the people of the state of Georgia.

Partisan politics already bothers me, and this seems like taking it just a little step further, or more openly.

Seems to me government trying to run the affairs of private corporations is called fascism.

So congress is running my business because they changed the tax code? interesting.

If congress changed the tax code for your business only and told you that it would stay changed unless you paid a tribute to another private entity, then yes it would be.
so a tarrif is a tax, and it is directed at a company by the government. dude, you need to sharpen up on your civics courses.

Feel free to give an example of a tariff that was directed at one single company. Thanks!

then i guess think of me not taking a side but trying to understand the motivations behind all the activity and examining our own human behavior. i guess when i do that (a lot it would seem) it can be confusing because i'm not really going at this in a "normal" fashion so fair enough i confuse people at times. i'll work on it.

I think the motivation behind the Delta move are painfully obvious, they thought that it was a good business decision and that continuing to endorse the NRA would be bad for them in the long run. I do not think Delta hates the NRA or gun owners, I think the people making these decisions care about one thing only, money. I would also suspect that they did not expect that removing a discount for one weekend a year to one specific city would cause so much heartache.

they didn't do this to be neutral. they did it cause of assumed $$$. we can totally agree there then.

people are simply tired of protesters getting their way and businesses caving to the mob mentality. the days you could force a business into this are coming to a close and if you want massive support now, you tell the whiners to bugger off and find something else to do and let them protest away.

so if we agree then it wasn't a "let's stay neutral move" it was business. the state of GA is now doing this for their conservative base but i also agree in an earlier point in that they didn't have time to really ask - they're just doing it in their name.

but when you are doing things emotionally, this is what happens. react, don't think.

A business decision is an neutral decision. A business decision does not care about the NRA or any other group, the only thing that matters in a business decision is how will it impact the bottom line. Nothing is more neutral than that. It is not based on emotion or "liking" something or "hating" something, just MONEY.

I think that the days businesses caving to the mob mentality are coming to a close, I see them getting worse and worse as both sides dig in and refuse to budge an inch.
looks like the impact to Delta will be yuge!!! how stupid for a move to satisfy a mob ruled gang.

How do you figure? Delta and every airline that flies in and out of Atlanta will just raise the price of all of their tickets. Companies never pay the tax, it is always the customers.
I do agree with that. The thing is, yes Delta can do that, but they will lose business to their competitors who offer cheaper fares. So they'd be hurting themselves. are they allowed to do that?

Why Delta did what they did is unimportant.

What it comes down to is how each individual views the role of the government.

For most of you the role of the government is to try and force one private entity to give financials discounts to another private entity.

I happen to disagree that is the role of the government

then it doesn't matter what the state did either. they have that right just like Delta. You keep arguing your own points against yourself.

No, they do not. The state is supposed to be a neutral operator, not biased towards one company over another.

I am with 100% honesty shocked at your view of what the government is supposed to be.

/-----/ How about when States boycotted other states because didn't glob onto gaye marriage or MLK Day? Where was your fake outrage over that?

Can you bring up a thread where that was talked about since I have been on the board? Now, personally I think it is stupid, but it is not the same thing. That is one government vs another government. Not the government vs a private entity.
/----/
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Boycotts North Carolina over Anti ...
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Boycotts North Carolina over Anti-L.G.B.T. Law
Mar 29, 2016 - “In New York, we believe that all people—regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation—deserve the same rights and protections under the eyes of the law,” Cuomo said in a statement, citing the state's history at the forefront L.G.B.T. rights. “From Stonewall to marriage equality, our state has been ...

Thanks, I know it goes on. I asked if there was a thread about it on this forum for me to have expressed my outrage. I was not a part of this forum in Mar of 2016

I'm well aware that companies get tax breaks for all sorts of reasons. I'm sure I disagree with some of those, as well. The state is under no obligation to provide tax breaks for airlines, and I have not once in this thread argued that they are. My argument is, and has been, that the way the Georgia government has gone about this, the explicit way the tax break was made contingent upon Delta giving special treatment to NRA members, is wrong. If Georgia were to make a tax break for Amazon require Amazon give discounts to UNICEF, I would oppose that.

What the hell does the Georgia State Leg have to do with the NRA? Are they owned by them?

In the sense that Georgia's a state with a lot of gun enthusiasts.

I don't give a shit if 122% of the state are "gun enthusiasts". It's not the government's domain to run a private corporation.

And they aren't, so stop exaggerating.

They have every right to say, "This is what we expect from companies who wish to negotiate tax breaks with us." And Delta has every right to say, "We don't want to do that." So everyone's perfectly in control of their own sphere of influence.

The "this is what we expect" part CANNOT involve mandatory discounts for political special interest groups, just because that SIG owns (or thinks it owns) that legislature. That's just blatant corruption.

Where the hell does THAT end?

Yeah -- exactly.

I do agree with that. The thing is, yes Delta can do that, but they will lose business to their competitors who offer cheaper fares. So they'd be hurting themselves. are they allowed to do that?

The competitors fly in and out of Atlanta also

Feel free to give an example of a tariff that was directed at one single company. Thanks!
well the steel business is different than oil business, and every business with steel will be affected. Pop, Beer, cars who will pay for those taxes? we will.

well the steel business is different than oil business, and every business with steel will be affected. Pop, Beer, cars who will pay for those taxes? we will.

Once again, give me a tariff that was directed at one single private company, not an industry.

What the hell does the Georgia State Leg have to do with the NRA? Are they owned by them?

I don't give a shit if 122% of the state are "gun enthusiasts". It's not the government's domain to run a private corporation.

They have every right to say, "This is what we expect from companies who wish to negotiate tax breaks with us." And Delta has every right to say, "We don't want to do that." So everyone's perfectly in control of their own sphere of influence.

The "this is what we expect" part CANNOT involve mandatory discounts for political special interest groups, just because that SIG owns (or thinks it owns) that legislature. That's just blatant corruption.

Where the hell does THAT end?

Yeah -- exactly.
again, all they had to do was just say they were ending the practice of discounting tickets and all would have been hunky dorey. But they made a statement that NRA members are bad passengers and because they are will pay more than many other passengers. they shot their own foot.

Once again, give me a tariff that was directed at one single private company, not an industry.
any company in that industry, Anheiser Bush for example will be affected by it.

Hard to believe I find myself sitting here defending Schmelta, the nation's worst airline. But this principle is more important.

again, all they had to do was just say they were ending the practice of discounting tickets and all would have been hunky dorey. But they made a statement that NRA members are bad passengers and because they are will pay more than many other passengers. they shot their own foot.

Please provide the link to the statement from Delta saying this...thanks.

For those that are not liars, here is the official Delta statement...

UPDATE: Delta ends NRA discount to annual meeting

Delta informed the National Rifle Association Saturday that the airline will end its contract for discounted fares for travel to the association's 2018 annual meeting. The company requested that the NRA remove Delta's information from its meeting website.

Delta’s decision reflects the airline’s neutral status in the current national debate over gun control amid recent school shootings. Out of respect for our customers and employees on both sides, Delta has taken this action to refrain from entering this debate and focus on its business. Delta continues to support the 2nd Amendment.

This is not the first time Delta has withdrawn support over a politically and emotionally charged issue. Last year, Delta withdrew its sponsorship of a theater that staged a graphic interpretation of “Julius Caesar” depicting the assassination of President Trump. Delta supports all of its customers but will not support organizations on any side of any highly charged political issue that divides our nation

Hard to believe I find myself sitting here defending Schmelta, the nation's worst airline. But this principle is more important.

It is hard to believe the lies people will tell to defend being a statist.

But that is not what they said, they said "Give this private entity a tribute in the form of a discount or you will not get a tax break".

Can you truly not see the difference?

Nope, 'cause I don't see it that way, and that's the only difference.

I heard them say, "If you're going to discriminate against and insult gun owners, you're not someone we want to negotiate tax breaks with." And no, I don't have a problem with that.

Again, it's not like Georgia popped out of nowhere and demanded that Delta give them a brand-new discount they'd never had before. The fact that this is in reaction to Delta's own actions does change the complexion of it.

But that is not what they said, they said "Give this private entity a tribute in the form of a discount or you will not get a tax break".

Can you truly not see the difference?

Nope, 'cause I don't see it that way, and that's the only difference.

I heard them say, "If you're going to discriminate against and insult gun owners, you're not someone we want to negotiate tax breaks with." And no, I don't have a problem with that.

Again, it's not like Georgia popped out of nowhere and demanded that Delta give them a brand-new discount they'd never had before. The fact that this is in reaction to Delta's own actions does change the complexion of it.
Delta's actions were directly at the constituency of the State of GA.

Please provide the link to the statement from Delta saying this...thanks.
why did they pull their discounts, because they are good clients? IMO it is a punishment of the members.

Forum List

Back