Georgia Senate blocks mega tax cuts for Delta in response to Delta punishing law abiding NRA

Publicly announcing they were doing it because "NRA" is attacking them.

Is not sentence.

And you don't know what a fascist is, you far closer fit the definition than I do

Hey, you're the one cheering on government coercion to influence how a company operates its own business. Now me, I don't believe government has any such right to meddle in how a business chooses its own policies. What that makes me is a "Liberal".

I'm a fascist because I'm AGAINST government giving big corporations special perks. You're working WAY too hard for that one

I'm a fascist because I'm AGAINST government giving big corporations special perks. You're working WAY too hard for that one

No, you are a fascist because you are FOR the government trying to force one private entity to give special perks to a different private entity.

Neither Delta nor any other airline is due a tax break for fuel

Bingo! This is it exactly. The Georgia legislature removed nothing that Delta was entitled to.

And if we switched parties, you'd switch to that Delta deserved it for being political. I would still oppose special tax breaks for big companies

And you assume I care about the political parties involved because?....

I don't care what party is being overly intrusive here. Democrats, Republicans, it doesn't matter; politicians will use government in ways they shouldn't regardless of political affiliation. I also don't care that it involves the NRA, nor Delta; it's the intrusive nature of the actions that bother me, not which companies or organizations are involved.

Whatever Delta may deserve, it should not be meted out by government in this instance.

Only a leftist would care that a big corporation lost a special tax break other companies don't get because they decided to be political and attack the NRA.

Delta was getting a benefit from the people of Georgia. All of them, not just the leftists. Staying out of politics would have been a smart thing to do.

I'm glad they didn't. I oppose special tax breaks and I'm glad they lost it

It isn't about Delta losing a tax break. I have no problem with Delta losing the tax break. It is the way the government went about it, using a tax break as a lever to try to get one private corporation to continue giving a discount to a private organization. Cagle pretty specifically said that he would kill any legislation that gave Delta a fuel tax break unless they returned to giving the NRA discounts for their convention.

You are insisting the issue is Delta getting a tax break. It is not. It is about representatives using the power of government to try to force a private company to give a discount to a particular organization. I would be happier without so many tax breaks, with a simplified tax system that does not try to social engineer the way ours does.

Swish.

Again, it's the difference between negative rights and positive rights. Positive rights are not legitimate rights.

Everything you said would be reasonable if we were talking about a negative right. But talking about positive rights as if they are negative rights is a non starter.

If the legislature passed a law targeted at Delta to remove a tax break everyone gets, your argument would be valid. Arguing removing a tax break no one else gets is BS.

If the politics were flipped, you'd flip in a heart beat. If Delta had say targeted Planned Parenthood with it's vitriol and Georgia did this, you'd be singing their praises. This isn't a real issue to you. Not remotely.

As Michael Jordan said when he swatted an attempted layup into the fifth row, get that shit out of here.

Also if we were talking PP, you'd suddenly get that it is ridiculous for companies to get involved in public politics

Bingo! This is it exactly. The Georgia legislature removed nothing that Delta was entitled to.

And if we switched parties, you'd switch to that Delta deserved it for being political. I would still oppose special tax breaks for big companies

I don't care what party is being overly intrusive here. Democrats, Republicans, it doesn't matter; politicians will use government in ways they shouldn't regardless of political affiliation. I also don't care that it involves the NRA, nor Delta; it's the intrusive nature of the actions that bother me, not which companies or organizations are involved.

Whatever Delta may deserve, it should not be meted out by government in this instance.

Only a leftist would care that a big corporation lost a special tax break other companies don't get because they decided to be political and attack the NRA.

Delta was getting a benefit from the people of Georgia. All of them, not just the leftists. Staying out of politics would have been a smart thing to do.

It isn't about Delta losing a tax break. I have no problem with Delta losing the tax break. It is the way the government went about it, using a tax break as a lever to try to get one private corporation to continue giving a discount to a private organization. Cagle pretty specifically said that he would kill any legislation that gave Delta a fuel tax break unless they returned to giving the NRA discounts for their convention.

You are insisting the issue is Delta getting a tax break. It is not. It is about representatives using the power of government to try to force a private company to give a discount to a particular organization. I would be happier without so many tax breaks, with a simplified tax system that does not try to social engineer the way ours does.

I agree, but what goes around comes around.

What did DumBama threaten businesses with if they didn't provide employer sponsored healthcare coverage to their employees? Not only healthcare, but with his vote buying riders like birth control?

But that wasn't enough. He also raped taxpayers of their income tax return if THEY didn't have coverage; as if they didn't have enough financial problems as it was.

The liberals sure didn't mind that. In fact, they reelected him afterward. Now they are coming to the aid of Delta because using tax brakes is immoral, unconstitutional and over powering.

The thing with leftists is that Montrovant wrote that all up as if he's reasonable and balanced and this is a serious issue to him. Pogo and dblack thank him for imparting such an eloquent justification for how the GA legislature was wrong.

And yet if we switched parties, the three of them would all switch sides. The argument meant nothing to any of them. It was just a homework assignment in a rhetoric class.

That's why you can't get anywhere debating them. You can destroy their argument, like you did. But tomorrow they're going to argue whatever position benefits the Democrat party too.

And they keep blowing off the point that it's foolish for big corporations to get so directly involved in politics. Again if we switched sides, they would suddenly get it

What did DumBama threaten businesses with if they didn't provide employer sponsored healthcare coverage to their employees? Not only healthcare, but with his vote buying riders like birth control?

But that wasn't enough. He also raped taxpayers of their income tax return if THEY didn't have coverage; as if they didn't have enough financial problems as it was.

The liberals sure didn't mind that. In fact, they reelected him afterward. Now they are coming to the aid of Delta because using tax brakes is immoral, unconstitutional and over powering.

I am not a fan of the ACA. However, there is an important difference involved; namely, that the ACA did not target an individual business and use the power of government to get that business to give a discount, or other special consideration, to any individual organization. While I opposed the mandate from the beginning, I think it is a different issue. Both are a misuse of government power IMO, however.

You are so full of shit. They removed a tax cut targeting a certain business. They did not target a certain business. Delta for that is now treated like everyone else. They are not targeted.

And if it was the ACLU, you'd suddenly get that

No, you are a fascist because you are FOR the government trying to force one private entity to give special perks to a different private entity.
then we're all fascist by that definition because we all want the gov to force private entities to do something sooner or later.

like bake a cake for a gay couple. or pay more taxes because something "isn't fair" globally. give more breaks to minorities in job lines. give more welfare to a particular class. regulate how a private business can conduct business.

you hit a lot of gray area in that broad stroke there, gator.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
And they keep blowing off the point that it's foolish for big corporations to get so directly involved in politics. Again if we switched sides, they would suddenly get it

Just like you keep blowing off the point that it is wrong for the government trying to force one private entity to give special perks to a different private entity.

big corporations have the right to be foolish, but the government does not (or should not) have the right to force one private entity to give special perks to a different private entity.

When Delta is getting a perk not given to other companies from the people of Georgia, they should stay out of politics.

Don't know if there's a "perk not given to other companies" or not, but "staying out of politics" was exactly what Delta was trying to do. And some wackoff legislator was trying to coerce them into staying IN it.

No, staying out of politics would mean not making any changes because of politics. But they did, so they did get involved with politics. They chose a side.

To leftists like Pogo, if you are leftist, that isn't political. If you don't agree with leftists, you are political. By not taking any position on Trump for example, Taylor Swift is being political and should be destroyed. On the other hand. Katy Perry is not being political as she is firmly anti-Trump.

Just explaining for you, Pogo. You're welcome

then we're all fascist by that definition because we all want the gov to force private entities to do something sooner or later.

Speak for yourself. I never want the Govt to interfere in individual business decisions by private entities.

like bake a cake for a gay couple.

That is a great example. Everyone that lost their minds over that is now ok with this. Both are wrong and neither should be allowed or tolerated. But if one agrees with what Ga did, they have no room to complain about the cake.

or pay more taxes because something "isn't fair" globally.

I never want to see the Govt force a single private entity to pay more taxes than the others.

give more breaks to minorities in job lines. give more welfare to a particular class. regulate how a private business can conduct business.

I am against all those things.

I am not a fan of the ACA. However, there is an important difference involved; namely, that the ACA did not target an individual business and use the power of government to get that business to give a discount, or other special consideration, to any individual organization. While I opposed the mandate from the beginning, I think it is a different issue. Both are a misuse of government power IMO, however.

The other difference is the Democrats simply did not remove a government benefit, they down right fined the companies.

I think that's a hell of a lot worse than removing a benefit.

That removing a special perk that Delta got and shouldn't have is "targeting" Delta is double speak worthy of 1984

Speak for yourself. I never want the Govt to interfere in individual business decisions by private entities.

That is a great example. Everyone that lost their minds over that is now ok with this. Both are wrong and neither should be allowed or tolerated. But if one agrees with what Ga did, they have no room to complain about the cake.

I never want to see the Govt force a single private entity to pay more taxes than the others.

give more breaks to minorities in job lines. give more welfare to a particular class. regulate how a private business can conduct business.

Fair enough. Filed for future reference.

Fair enough. Filed for future reference.

The thing to remember about me is I am the guy that thinks that any anti-discrimination law applied to any private entity are unconstitutional. The Constitution tells the Govt it cannot discriminate, it does not say that private people cannot.

I know that people do not agree with me, but in my opinion anti-discrimination laws violate the Equal Protection clause as they give some groups more protection than others. "Protected classes" have more protections than other classes, and that is against the Constitution.

Why do you keep lying about no one else getting the tax cut?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

You didn't know it's a special tax break? Seriously? Haven't you read any of the articles on the thread you keep posting in?

No, what I did was read the actual bill itself and find out it was for all airlines purchasing jet fuel in Georgia.

Perhaps next time you might choose to educate yourself and not rely on the left wing media.

The law was written to benefit Delta and it disproportionately does. What you have there is a distinction without a difference. Everyone knows the law was written for Delta.

And how are fuel taxes treated for non-airline industries? Like airlines? Or not ...

You didn't know it's a special tax break? Seriously? Haven't you read any of the articles on the thread you keep posting in?

No, what I did was read the actual bill itself and find out it was for all airlines purchasing jet fuel in Georgia.

Perhaps next time you might choose to educate yourself and not rely on the left wing media.

The law was written to benefit Delta and it disproportionately does. What you have there is a distinction without a difference

Thank you for sort of admitting you were wrong about the law. I am sure that is the closest you will ever come. You and honesty do not seem to be very close friends.

Amazon tells Georgia FU we won't be moving there Good work Georgia idiots

Where do you get that Amazon was ever going to pick Georgia?
they were on the list of maybes

Right, but there are 20 maybes. Realistically, Amazon knows where they are going or at least have a short list of at the most 3 or 4

you might oppose them but that's how states lure big business

Yes, of course I know that. I still oppose them. It's like all of socialism. You're best if government favors you and no one else. Socialism is where government favors us all, and we all end up poorer for it

That must be why he ranned away.

Facts have a way of doing that to people

It was Saturday night and you and Pogo were whining I'm not responding to your posts as you write them? Seriously? Come out of your parents basement once in a while. Maybe the two of you can hook up since neither of you had anywhere to go.

And I did respond to it today, I wasn't running from shit. Everyone knew the law was written to favor Delta. That the bill didn't have the name Delta on it changes nothing

That must be why he ranned away.

Facts have a way of doing that to people

It was Saturday night and you and Pogo were whining I'm not responding to your posts as you write them? Seriously? Come out of your parents basement once in a while. Maybe the two of you can hook up since neither of you had anywhere to go.

And I did respond to it today, I wasn't running from shit. Everyone knew the law was written to favor Delta. That the bill didn't have the name Delta on it changes nothing

What the hell does it being Saturday night have to do with anything, are you 16 and just getting to go out for the first time? Saturday is really no different than any other night once you grow up and start being an adult.

But hey, I like the gay jokes ,that is a new level for you...well done.

When Delta is getting a perk not given to other companies from the people of Georgia, they should stay out of politics.

Don't know if there's a "perk not given to other companies" or not, but "staying out of politics" was exactly what Delta was trying to do. And some wackoff legislator was trying to coerce them into staying IN it.

No, staying out of politics would mean not making any changes because of politics. But they did, so they did get involved with politics. They chose a side.

Couldn't they be said to have chosen a side by giving the NRA members a discount in the first place?

No, they give lots of groups that discount. The standard group discount as has been pointed out is when you are on the same flight.

If you have an event where you're not on the same flight, you need to contact Delta. They probably ask about the size of the event, how many tickets you are likely to get them, ... I doubt it's a big discount.

Delta doesn't publicize what groups get those discounts, though some of the groups who have received them have been mentioned in articles if you Google it. Delta says no comment on who gets these group discounts. The NRA advertised it, not Delta.

Any leftist group having a convention could have called Delta and requested a discount

Swish.

Again, it's the difference between negative rights and positive rights. Positive rights are not legitimate rights.

Everything you said would be reasonable if we were talking about a negative right. But talking about positive rights as if they are negative rights is a non starter.

If the legislature passed a law targeted at Delta to remove a tax break everyone gets, your argument would be valid. Arguing removing a tax break no one else gets is BS.

If the politics were flipped, you'd flip in a heart beat. If Delta had say targeted Planned Parenthood with it's vitriol and Georgia did this, you'd be singing their praises. This isn't a real issue to you. Not remotely.

As Michael Jordan said when he swatted an attempted layup into the fifth row, get that shit out of here.

Also if we were talking PP, you'd suddenly get that it is ridiculous for companies to get involved in public politics

You clearly are looking at this through a partisan lens, either your own or what you expect from others. What about my posting would indicate to you that my opinion would change based on the targeted organization? Do you know of some history of my praising Planned Parenthood? Before you ever posted on this thread, I actually brought up Planned Parenthood as an example of how this same situation would be wrong regardless of the political leanings of the organization involved. Go read post #73.

Moreover, I haven't been saying anything about rights being violated. As far as I know, the move by the Georgia government was perfectly legal (although my knowledge of relevant GA law is far from complete, so it's possible that some law or constitutional provision was violated). I haven't claimed anyone's rights were violated, positive or negative. I've said, over and over, that I consider what the Georgia government did a misuse of government power. They explicitly made a tax break contingent upon whether a single private company gave a discount to a private organization.

The tax break in question, from what I have read, would have been for all airlines, not just Delta. So, in effect, the Georgia legislature apparently did pass a law targeted at Delta that removed a tax break all airlines get. I'm not sure why Delta would have gotten so much of the money from the tax break (supposedly $40 million of the $50 million total), but it was more than just Delta involved. Perhaps other airlines don't use Atlanta for refueling very often. :dunno: Delta cutting ties with the NRA could cost the airline $40 million

Companies can make political statements at their own discretion. There may be consequences if they do so. My problem is that, in a case such as this, those consequences should come from the private sector, not the government.

You're obviously free to assume that my opposition is due to my political leanings, or my opposition to the NRA, or whatever other explanation you care to create in your mind. Those assumptions are not based on my posts, however.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back