Get Rid of Spanish in America

image: http://cf.ydcdn.net/latest/images/dictionaries/websters5.jpg

1. a stable, historically developed community of people with a territory, economic life, distinctive culture, and language in common

Read more at Nation dictionary definition | nation defined

You have been shown now to be a liar Unk.

Posting a picture of a book doesn't make what follows it "real". Not sure if this is common knowledge but --- apparently not.

Obviously the definition as posted is inoperative. If it were operative, Switzerland would not be a nation. Nor would Canada. Nor would Belgium. Nor would about 98% of the world's countries.

Ah, you can't read I suspected as much. Unk called it a fake post, I proved it wasn't. Sorry.

Don't know about what went on in my absence but it would appear to be you who can't read, since your own link says:

>>
nation
na·tion
Use nation in a sentence

noun

1. The definition of a nation is a body of people in a particular location with a distinct government.

---- and then below in the details where you and the OP went cherrypicking it actually says:

nation

1. a stable, historically developed community of people with a territory, economic life, distinctive culture, and language in common
  2. the people of a territory united under a single government; country
    1. a people or tribe, specif., a group of North American Indians, sometimes one belonging to a confederation
    2. [N-] the territory of a particular Indian people or peoples

You of course quoted #1, which is not the sense in play here, and tried to pretend it was all there is by editing out #s 2 and 3. #2 of course, the bold above you tried to bury, is the sense used in your own link's example, to wit: "The United States of America is a nation". And I already explained to you why it's that sense and cannot be #1.

Guess that level of reading was too complex for ya.

LOL, oh golly I had the integrity to post all posted meanings I SUCK. Unk lied and I proved it. .....

Now YOU have just lied.

The USA is an English-speaking country. It has been that for over 200 years. In order for America to preserve its identity as a NATION, it must have a (ie. ONE) distinctive language and culture.

Currently, there are a few Spanish TV stations, and the AM radio dial is flooded with them. Spanish is also ubiquitous in telephone recordings, voting ballots, and even on billboards. It's time for the US government to put a stop to this madness.

There have been non-English speaking immigrants here in America, for as long as the USA has existed. They have always adapted and quickly learned English. My mother's family arrived here from Denmark, in 1929. There were no radio shows in Danish for them. My paternal grandparents came here from Central America in the 1880's. They had no Spanish signs, or anything like that. They all learned English, quickly.

The only reason there is so much Spanish in America now, is because this helps Democrats to import more immigrants to vote Democrat. Now we have people who have been here for 20 years, and can't speak a word of English. Get rid of all the Spanish. Get it out, and keep it out.

Let’s make America great again, by making America a true NATION again (instead of the mish-mash it has become).

NATION - a stable, historically developed community of people, with a territory, system of economics, and a DISTINCTIVE LANGUAGE & CULTURE. (Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th ed.)

Yeah, whitey already tried that shit with Native Americans. Aren't you thankful for the Navajo Code Talkers?

The USA is an English-speaking country. It has been that for over 200 years. In order for America to preserve its identity as a NATION, it must have a (ie. ONE) distinctive language and culture.

Currently, there are a few Spanish TV stations, and the AM radio dial is flooded with them. Spanish is also ubiquitous in telephone recordings, voting ballots, and even on billboards. It's time for the US government to put a stop to this madness.

There have been non-English speaking immigrants here in America, for as long as the USA has existed. They have always adapted and quickly learned English. My mother's family arrived here from Denmark, in 1929. There were no radio shows in Danish for them. My paternal grandparents came here from Central America in the 1880's. They had no Spanish signs, or anything like that. They all learned English, quickly.

The only reason there is so much Spanish in America now, is because this helps Democrats to import more immigrants to vote Democrat. Now we have people who have been here for 20 years, and can't speak a word of English. Get rid of all the Spanish. Get it out, and keep it out.

Let’s make America great again, by making America a true NATION again (instead of the mish-mash it has become).

NATION - a stable, historically developed community of people, with a territory, system of economics, and a DISTINCTIVE LANGUAGE & CULTURE. (Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th ed.)

How do you have an official language of a Nation made up of immigrants from other nations?

If you really want to get technical -- the official laughable should be Spanish or Dutch.

Go take a history class. Make sure the prof is legit and not an alt-right loser. Maybe you'll learn something.

To be legal they have to pass and English test. Educate yourself cum bucket.

Nope- you are just wrong- lying or ignorant.

Americans have no obligation to pass any English test.

Americans who have come here and become citizens do have to learn English- but that doesn't mean that they have to stop using their first language.

Just to get rid of you....

"American Citizenship Requirements"

4) Read, write, and speak English. Your English language skills will be tested during the citizenship interview and test. In some cases, elderly persons who have resided as lawful permanent citizens in the US for many years may not need to meet these language requirements.

American Citizenship Requirements

Here are the exceptions.

"The English language requirement does not apply in four cases: If you are over 50 years of age and have been a legal permanent resident (LPR) for at least 20 years, you can do the interview and civics test in your native language (with an interpreter). Ditto if you are over 55 years of age and have been an LPR for at least 25 years."

Thanks for gracefully acknowledging your error.

Our "leaders" don't even have eough courage to declare English the offical language of the United States
I don't see why it should take courage.
Me either but it remains that English is not the offical language of the United States[ which is a travesty
Nonsense.

It’s not a ‘travesty,’ it’s Constitutional – where government seeking to impose an ‘official’ language would be un-Constitutional:

‘This opinion addresses the constitutionality of Article XXVIII of the Arizona Constitution (the "Amendment"), which was adopted in 1988 and which provides, inter alia, that English is the official language of the State of Arizona and that the state and its political subdivisions--including all government officials and employees performing government business--must "act" only in English.

We hold that the Amendment violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution because it adversely impacts the constitutional rights of non-English-speaking persons with regard to their obtaining access to their government and limits the political speech of elected officials and public employees. We also hold that the Amendment violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution because it unduly burdens core First Amendment rights of a specific class without materially advancing a legitimate state interest.’

RUIZ V. HULL

Fortunately we have a Constitution that protects the American people from the ignorance, fear, bigotry, racism, and hate common to most on the right.

Well sure except that US Immigration requires them to speak English. I already posted it coward.

Actually you just posted that they don't. You even provided the 4 exceptions.

Of course nothing requires anyone born a U.S. citizen to speak English.

An American born in say France who has never spoken English a day in his life has no obligation to speak English.

Spanish is a beautiful language.

Everyone should learn to speak it to some extent, for you never know when it will come in handy.

Furthermore, the more foreign languages you know, the better you will understand English grammar.

But Spanish-speaking people should be required to use the language of their new country.

To become a citizen, one must pass a test that shows that one knows English. Therefore, when a new citizen proudly goes to cast a ballot in an election, s/he should be required to use an English-language ballot. After all, it's only a list of names. Someone can prep the new citizen on how to mark the ballot. Presently, the government spends millions on printing ballots in many languages. That is an unnecessary waste of taxpayer money.

Perhaps the only exception when Spanish should be available is when one needs to call 911 for emergency medical care.

Otherwise, companies should not have Spanish-speaking representatives. If Spanish-speaking immigrants realize that they have to speak English, they will make the effort to do so.

Or companies can do what makes them the most money- i.e. capitalism- and cater to their customers tastes- for instance my bank ATM has the these options for languages- English- Polish- Russian- Chinese- Spanish.

No one requires them to have those options- they do so because they think it will appeal to their customers.

Of course the OP wants Big Brother to tell companies that they can't do that- but oddly enough- only for Spanish.

Our "leaders" don't even have eough courage to declare English the offical language of the United States
Me either but it remains that English is not the offical language of the United States[ which is a travesty
Nonsense.

It’s not a ‘travesty,’ it’s Constitutional – where government seeking to impose an ‘official’ language would be un-Constitutional:

‘This opinion addresses the constitutionality of Article XXVIII of the Arizona Constitution (the "Amendment"), which was adopted in 1988 and which provides, inter alia, that English is the official language of the State of Arizona and that the state and its political subdivisions--including all government officials and employees performing government business--must "act" only in English.

We hold that the Amendment violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution because it adversely impacts the constitutional rights of non-English-speaking persons with regard to their obtaining access to their government and limits the political speech of elected officials and public employees. We also hold that the Amendment violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution because it unduly burdens core First Amendment rights of a specific class without materially advancing a legitimate state interest.’

RUIZ V. HULL

Fortunately we have a Constitution that protects the American people from the ignorance, fear, bigotry, racism, and hate common to most on the right.

Well sure except that US Immigration requires them to speak English. I already posted it coward.

An American born in say France who has never spoken English a day in his life has no obligation to speak English.
It should be considered a requirement to speak English.

Nonsense.

RUIZ V. HULL

It should be considered a requirement to speak English.
Only if we start with the president:
td0COwU.png

But Spanish-speaking people should be required to use the language of their new country.

Perhaps the only exception when Spanish should be available is when one needs to call 911 for emergency medical care.

Otherwise, companies should not have Spanish-speaking representatives. If Spanish-speaking immigrants realize that they have to speak English, they will make the effort to do so.

Bill of Rights - Bill of Rights Institute

Spanish is a beautiful language.

Everyone should learn to speak it to some extent, for you never know when it will come in handy.

Furthermore, the more foreign languages you know, the better you will understand English grammar.

To become a citizen, one must pass a test that shows that one knows English. Therefore, when a new citizen proudly goes to cast a ballot in an election, s/he should be required to use an English-language ballot. After all, it's only a list of names. Someone can prep the new citizen on how to mark the ballot. Presently, the government spends millions on printing ballots in many languages. That is an unnecessary waste of taxpayer money.

Actually many of the localities that print ballots in languages other than English, do so for people who were here long before Anglophones were. Including most of Alaska.

FT_16.12.15_census_map.png

Like I am interested in your background but when someone posts something so vile and ignorant. That is the interest.
Gli sciocchi si distinguono sempre per primi.

Growing up in a very ethinc family it is wonderful to know 2 different languages.
Its to bad Sei così pigro But that is how most people that are prejudice are about others with true ethnic backgrounds.
And the people you choose to marginalize built this country while individuals like you were seduto sul tuo culo.
I'm not trying to marginalize people. I'm trying to marginalize American culture and language to keep it AMERICAN, and not allow foreigners to come here and denationalize it to their language and culture.

As for the "individuals like you" comment, it's surprising that after 7 years in this forum you don't know that I happen to be Hispanic, grew up in a very ethnic family, and know 2 different languages.>> speak Spanish fluently, and have desde mil novacientos cinquenta y nueve, as I've posted many times over the past 5 years, that I've been here.

Sono sciocchi come te che lo rendono sporco.

Shit, here in the filthy shithole of Mexifornia there are many places where English is the secondary language...I’ve been in banks with 50 people or more inside where I was the only white person there, including employees...where everyone is speaking Spanish....you kinda stop and suck it all in, at first you feel like you’re in an episode of the Twilight Zone then you quickly realize you’ve become a foreigner in your own country.

Sono sciocchi come te che lo rendono sporco.

Shit, here in the filthy shithole of Mexifornia there are many places where English is the secondary language...I’ve been in banks with 50 people or more inside where I was the only white person there, including employees...where everyone is speaking Spanish....you kinda stop and suck it all in, at first you feel like you’re in an episode of the Twilight Zone then you quickly realize you’ve become a foreigner in your own country.

Wrong country Gustavo....try again.

Actually many of the localities that print ballots in languages other than English, do so for people who were here long before Anglophones were. Including most of Alaska.

Maybe so, but in a NATION, there is one distinctive culture, one language You either have a NATION, or you have a "tangle of squabbling nationalities" (Theodore Roosevelt)

Maybe so, but in a NATION, there is one distinctive culture, one language You either have a NATION, or you have a "tangle of squabbling nationalities" (Theodore Roosevelt)

Uh huh.

Switzerland.

Spanish was here long before English was. Mexico owned the entire southwest of this country long before the white man showed up. It was the United States that started the American/Mexican war taking their land away from them. "Remember the Alamo."

You'll find that many people in the southwest are bilengual. We're talking Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and half of California. If you go to Mexico today, you'll find that Mexicans are learning English much faster than Americans are learning Spanish. It's because of the tourism in Mexico that cater to Americans and Canadians.

It's good to have many different languages in this country. If you remember correctly after 9/11 we were begging people to come forward that could speak Farsi.

C3PX1ifXAAAVQze.jpg

Last edited:

Spanish was here long before English was. Mexico owned the entire southwest of this country long before the white man showed up. It was the United States that started the American/Mexican war taking their land away from them. "Remember the Alamo."

You'll find that many people in the southwest are bilengual. We're talking Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and half of California. If you go to Mexico today, you'll find that Mexicans are learning English much faster than Americans are learning Spanish. It's because of the tourism in Mexico that cater to Americans and Canadians.

It's good to have many different languages in this country. If you remember correctly after 9/11 we were begging people to come forward that could speak Farsi.

C3PX1ifXAAAVQze.jpg

Mexico started the Mexican-American War, and we didn’t “take” land, we bought it.

What? This is the United States, there isn't one distinctive culture or language.

Sucks for you, stuck in the white neighborhoods.

C3PX1ifXAAAVQze.jpg
Actually, Mexico started the Mexican-American War by inviting Americans into Texas to help them deal with the ferocious Comanches. Afterwards, they decided they didn't like the Americans either, and tried to kick them out - after they had already established themselves there.

And NO, it is NOT good to have many different languages in a country.m If you do, you don't have a country. You have a mess.

Forum List

Back