Girl found guilty for boyfriend for killing himself

I am sorry, I think this was a terrible ruling and will likely get overturned on appeal. Make no mistake, she is a huge piece of shit.

Ya, that's why I'm on the fence about it.

Manslaughter involves reckless endangerment. What she did was callous and reckless
She participated in the suicide

She is guilty
Guilty of what crime?

Manslaughter
So Obama should be an accessory to the gun man that shot the Senate? Obama did say if they bring a knife we will bring a gun.
Wha??? Mr. Non NRA said that?

I am sorry, I think this was a terrible ruling and will likely get overturned on appeal. Make no mistake, she is a huge piece of shit.

Manslaughter involves reckless endangerment. What she did was callous and reckless

She is guilty
Guilty of what crime?

Manslaughter
So Obama should be an accessory to the gun man that shot the Senate? Obama did say if they bring a knife we will bring a gun.

That is tenous it's laughable.

we'll see what the sentence is. I have a feeling it won't be much.

far as I'm concerned after texting the kid to get back in the truck when he got out she deserves whatever she gets.

had she texted "go home" he's alive

had she done nothing he's alive

she was directly involved and used her influence on this kid to get him to kill himself.

fuck her.

I agree with the guilty verdict. She had an obligation to call 911 if someone was in danger of dying regardless of the reason. She didn't have to physically intervene, but she should have called for help, and certainly not encouraged him.

From the OP article:

Michelle Carter was charged in the death of Conrad Roy III. Carter, then 17, cajoled Roy to kill himself in July 2014 with a series of texts and phone calls, prosecutors alleged. Roy died when his pickup truck filled with carbon monoxide in a store parking lot in Fairhaven. After he exited the truck, Carter told him to "get back in," prosecutors said.

While Roy took "significant actions of his own" to take his own life, Carter's instruction to get back in the truck constituted wanton and reckless conduct, the judge said. Even though she knew he was in the truck, she didn't take action to help him by calling the police or his family, Moniz said.

"She called no one and finally she did not issue a simple additional instruction -- get out of the truck," Moniz said.

Michelle Carter text suicide trial verdict: Guilty

Unbelievable.. Another attack on free speech. He was going to kill himself either way so it had NOTHING to do with her but hey its Commiechusets so what do we expect.
I'm a strong advocate of free speech as well but that said, I believe if a person who is severely depressed reaches out to someone hoping to get a lifeline, anything to help him decide to hang on, but instead is tossed an anchor, the slime who did that in my opinion should be held accountable. Think if it was your son or daughter that was distraught over a silly break up and a so called friend convinces him or her to commit suicide, how would you you feel about that?

Thankfully the jury saw it as I did and therefore got justice for him and his family. Hopefully this will stop other SOCIOPATHS who lack empathy and just want to see someone die from doing the same.

This is on the boundary of what is and what is not legal. But I think the law should be changed, so that a person urging another to commit suicide is held accountable in the law. This was cyberbullying.
Horse shit! Then all advertising companies need to be sued, when I spend money after them urging me to buy a product, and then regret the purchase... After all... Why should I be responsible for my actions?
Hardly an argument for "aiding and abetting."
Neither is what this girl did. She is being punished for him being weak.
She helped plan his death.
She encouraged his death.
He tried to stop, she insulted him and ordered him to go back.
She could have prevented his death, but instead actively encouraged it.

Take her out of the picture, he would not have died.

Her actions and her inaction were absolutely contributing factors in his suicide.

She is guilty
Guilty of what crime?

Manslaughter

As about as laughable as this girl being found guilty.

Guess that judge better hurry up and start changing the definition of words like the people here are doing

Murder is a crime!

So is assisting in a suicide
She recklessly participated his death .....manslaughter
Words don't assist in something that's not a crime. Why don't you read about what assisted suicide actually is

manslaughter

There are numerous cases in which an omission to act or a failure to perform a duty constitutes criminally negligent manslaughter. The existence of a duty is essential. Since the law does not recognize that an ordinary person has a duty to aid or rescue another in distress, an ensuing death from failure to act would not be manslaughter. On the other hand, an omission in which one has a duty, such as the failure of a lifeguard to attempt to save a drowning person, might constitute the offense.

When the failure to act is reckless or negligent, and not intentional, it is usually manslaughter. If the omission is intentional and death is likely or substantially likely to result, the offense might be murder. When an intent to kill, recklessness, and negligence are present, no offense is committed.
That involves someone killing someone else you dumbass.
"When the failure to act is reckless or negligent"

See what the judge said

"This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy since she put him in that toxic environment constituted reckless conduct," the judge said. "The court finds that the conduct caused the death of Mr. Roy."
The court is wrong. This verdict will be overturned. Bet on it.

This is on the boundary of what is and what is not legal. But I think the law should be changed, so that a person urging another to commit suicide is held accountable in the law. This was cyberbullying.
Horse shit! Then all advertising companies need to be sued, when I spend money after them urging me to buy a product, and then regret the purchase... After all... Why should I be responsible for my actions?
Hardly an argument for "aiding and abetting."
Neither is what this girl did. She is being punished for him being weak.
If it was your son in that boy's place, would you have called him weak? He was broken and she took advantage of that.
Yes.

She is guilty
Guilty of what crime?

Manslaughter

As about as laughable as this girl being found guilty.

I can see more cause in this girl....but I'm not comfortable with the verdict.

Michelle Carter text suicide trial verdict: Guilty

Unbelievable.. Another attack on free speech. He was going to kill himself either way so it had NOTHING to do with her but hey its Commiechusets so what do we expect.
I'm a strong advocate of free speech as well but that said, I believe if a person who is severely depressed reaches out to someone hoping to get a lifeline, anything to help him decide to hang on, but instead is tossed an anchor, the slime who did that in my opinion should be held accountable. Think if it was your son or daughter that was distraught over a silly break up and a so called friend convinces him or her to commit suicide, how would you you feel about that?

Thankfully the jury saw it as I did and therefore got justice for him and his family. Hopefully this will stop other SOCIOPATHS who lack empathy and just want to see someone die from doing the same.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing if it as a son or daughter. Depression is no joke and it's a serious illness. Those who have it are in need of help, not encouragement to commit suicide.

Words don't assist in something that's not a crime. Why don't you read about what assisted suicide actually is

manslaughter

There are numerous cases in which an omission to act or a failure to perform a duty constitutes criminally negligent manslaughter. The existence of a duty is essential. Since the law does not recognize that an ordinary person has a duty to aid or rescue another in distress, an ensuing death from failure to act would not be manslaughter. On the other hand, an omission in which one has a duty, such as the failure of a lifeguard to attempt to save a drowning person, might constitute the offense.

When the failure to act is reckless or negligent, and not intentional, it is usually manslaughter. If the omission is intentional and death is likely or substantially likely to result, the offense might be murder. When an intent to kill, recklessness, and negligence are present, no offense is committed.

See what the judge said

"This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy since she put him in that toxic environment constituted reckless conduct," the judge said. "The court finds that the conduct caused the death of Mr. Roy."

Seems to comply with the definition of manslaughter.....When the failure to act is reckless or negligent"

What the Judge ruled....."This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy since she put him in that toxic environment constituted reckless conduct

manslaughter

See what the judge said

I'd take that bet.

manslaughter

See what the judge said

In what way do you think the judge was wrong? Did she not help plan his death? Could she not have saved him? Did she not have a duty to save him from a situation she helped put him in? Were her actions not reckless?

Basically, if not for her, would he have died that day in that manner?

manslaughter

See what the judge said

In what way do you think the judge was wrong? Did she not help plan his death? Could she not have saved him? Did she not have a duty to save him from a situation she helped put him in? Were her actions not reckless?

Basically, if not for her, would he have died that day in that manner?
People understand the emotion, I think. The problem is legality.

Forum List

Back