🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Girls outnumber boys in juvy, report shows

Covenant House

The Juvenile Justice System and Homeless Teens
In the early 1970s, Congress held hearings on how best to help runaway and homeless youth, which resulted in the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974 (Public Law 93-415).

This act was created to provide federal funding to improve states' juvenile justice systems so that they could better serve at-risk youth. While the intention was to create a system that would rehabilitate young offenders to mold them into successful members of society, statistics show that the juvenile justice system has failed many homeless youth.

A staggering 80% of the young people who enter New York's juvenile facilities end up returning or being put into adult prisons within three years – a recidivism rate that is significantly higher than that in the adult criminal justice system. Similar failures in the system can be found in other major cities across the country.

The bottom line is that kids without role models can easily be lured into making bad choices simply so they can fit in with their peers. Some kids come from homes where illegal activity is being carried out by parents or guardians. For these at-risk youth, the juvenile justice system is a revolving door that often returns them to the environment where the problem began.

With concern over the current juvenile justice system growing, there is a new push to reform the system. Covenant House is at the center of this fight, advocating for improved services that provide better and more comprehensive treatment for at-risk youth.

I've often wondered about what role, if any, government can/should play in this cycle. You have kids having kids who end up having more kids. It's a revolving door of poverty. Minimum wage laws can encourage a kid to work at Burger King or MacDonalds but drugs are much more lucrative and you don't have to wear a uniform.

One thing I've considered is perhaps for churches to keep their tax free status with the Federal Government, they need to have some sort of program for teens to stop the cycles of poverty that ultimately infest that community where the church is located.

Dunno.

It is heart breaking though; for sure.

so the system failed to raise kids properly

stunning revelation

whats even better is the same people that have an 80% failure rate with kids want to tell us how we should raise our children.

since the government knows how bad it's ideas are, the government is harming our children on purpose.

but hey, more government will fix it, just ask any leftist.

What we need is to close all the failing public schools and replace the with private and parochial schools.

images

What we need is to close all the failing public schools and replace the with private and parochial schools.

I would love to try that in 5 or 10 states for 5 years or so and see what happens; if the voucher plan is better than the current system.

Part of education is a willingness to accept other arguments may be superior to yours so lets try it. Pick 2 states from the top 10 population wise, 2 states from the next 10 most populous states, 2 more from the next 10 most populous states and so on and see what happens after 5 years. Surely any liberal or conservative argument after those 5 years would have to be based on data of grad rates; drop rates, etc...

Do you think you'll end up with the same "crappy" University of Phoenix model of on-line classes if we do that? I am pretty confident you'll see LeTourneau K-12.

Girls outnumber boys in juvy, report shows

It looks like the state is using juvenile detention facilities for homeless girl storage.

Here is an alternative:

Covenant House

Let me give you a little history behind this....a lot of these girls are products of teen moms. And girls, no matter how good you try to parent, are difficult at best to contain when they hit their teen years, its hard. Now imagine a teen mom, cause we all know dads are lone gone by now, imagine the competition these mothers now have on their hands.....a beautiful daughter being sought after by the very men that;s not only your age, but wanting younger..and that's causes a lot of these mothers to have resentment, jealousy and all to often neglect.

Visit and talk to these young girls someday.....most are products of young mothers who resent their daughters and toss them aside. The pool of men at best is slim and so many of these young mothers are seeking the very men, that now want their daughters

I've often wondered about what role, if any, government can/should play in this cycle. You have kids having kids who end up having more kids. It's a revolving door of poverty. Minimum wage laws can encourage a kid to work at Burger King or MacDonalds but drugs are much more lucrative and you don't have to wear a uniform.

One thing I've considered is perhaps for churches to keep their tax free status with the Federal Government, they need to have some sort of program for teens to stop the cycles of poverty that ultimately infest that community where the church is located.

Dunno.

It is heart breaking though; for sure.

Contraceptives in the water supply.

Forum List

Back