Zone1 Giving up the search for God

I see a lot of hard-sell proselytizing in various threads but no apparent converts.
I 'listen' to a lot of people who enjoy discussing their religion. I don't notice many--if any at all--who are trying to convert anyone. That includes atheist who are passionate that atheism is the route to take. People come here to talk about their beliefs or lack thereof. Don't read any more into than that.

I wonder why that is? Does anyone really come to a message board to search for whatever gods they're looking for?

I see a lot of hard-sell proselytizing in various threads but no apparent converts.
I doubt it as most people do not take the believers' advice of having faith first. They don't even believe it when science backs up the Bible. Thus, they have to deal with what happens to them when they experience death.

Here are some quotes from dying atheists and God haters:

'Thomas Hobbs political philosopher “I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark.”

Sir Francis Newport, the head of an English Atheist club to those gathered around his deathbed: “You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell! …Oh, that I could lie for a thousand years upon the fire that is never quenched, to purchase the favor of God and be united to Him again. But it is a fruitless wish. Millions and millions of years will bring me no nearer the end of my torments than one poor hour. Oh, eternity, eternity forever and forever!, Oh, the insufferable pangs of Hell!”

David Hume, atheist philosopher famous for his philosophy of empiricism and skepticism of religion, he cried loud on his death bed “I am in flames!” It is said his “desperation was a horrible scene”.

Caesar Borgia: “While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die.

Thomas Payne the leading atheistic writer in American colonies: “Stay with me, for God’s sake; I cannot bear to be left alone , O Lord, help me! O God, what have I done to suffer so much? What will become of me hereafter? “I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. 0 Lord, help me! Christ, help me! …No, don’t leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one.”

Anton LeVey author of the Satanic Bible and high priest of the religion dedicated to the worship of Satan. Some of his famous quotes are “There is a beast in man that needs to be exercised, not exorcised”. His dying words were “Oh my, oh my, what have I done, there is something very wrong…there is something very wrong….”

Robert Ingersoll: “O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!” (Some say it was this way: “Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!”)

Napoleon Bonaparte, the French emperor, and who, like Adolf Hitler, brought death to millions to satisfy his greedy, power-mad, selfish ambitions for world conquest: “I die before my time, and my body will be given back to the earth. Such is the fate of him who has been called the great Napoleon. What an abyss between my deep misery and the eternal kingdom of Christ!”

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England “Until this moment I thought there was neither a God nor a hell. Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty.”

Charles IX was the French king who urged on by his mother, gave the order for the massacre of the French Huguenots, in which 15,000 souls were slaughtered in Paris alone and 100,000 in other sections of France, for no other reason than that they loved Christ. The guilty king suffered miserably for years after that event. He finally died, bathed in blood bursting from his veins. To his physicians he said in his last hours: “Asleep or awake, I see the mangled forms of the Huguenots passing before me. They drop with blood. They point at their open wounds. Oh! That I had spared at least the little infants at the bosom! What blood! I know not where I am. How will all this end? What shall I do? I am lost forever! I know it. Oh, I have done wrong.”

David Strauss, leading representative of German rationalism, after spending a lifetime erasing belief in God from the minds of others: “My philosophy leaves me utterly forlorn! I feel like one caught in the merciless jaws of an automatic machine, not knowing at what time one of its great hammers may crush me!”

In a Newsweek interview with Svetlana Stalin, the daughter of Josef Stalin, she told of her father’s death: “My father died a difficult and terrible death. . God grants an easy death only to the just. . At what seemed the very last moment he suddenly opened his eyes and cast a glance over everyone in the room. It was a terrible glance, insane or perhaps angry. . His left hand was raised, as though he were pointing to something above and bringing down a curse on us all. The gesture was full of menace. . The next moment he was dead.”'

I 'listen' to a lot of people who enjoy discussing their religion. I don't notice many--if any at all--who are trying to convert anyone. That includes atheist who are passionate that atheism is the route to take. People come here to talk about their beliefs or lack thereof. Don't read any more into than that.
I must be the only one who reads the 'fear the gods'', ''atheists are going to Hell'', ''Christianity will save your soul'', ''angels are real'', etc., etc.

Why do you equate atheism as a ''route''? You do know that non-belief in your gods as well as those who believe in gods competing with your gods is a conclusion, right?

I see no passionate atheists. I do see non-believers in your gods countering the claims that those non-believers are on the highway to hell and only by submitting to a particular religion will their eternal soul be saved. That's a bit odd because the believers can offer nothing to define what this 'soul' thing actually is.

I doubt it as most people do not take the believers' advice of having faith first. They don't even believe it when science backs up the Bible. Thus, they have to deal with what happens to them when they experience death.

'Thomas Hobbs political philosopher “I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark.”

Sir Francis Newport, the head of an English Atheist club to those gathered around his deathbed: “You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell! …Oh, that I could lie for a thousand years upon the fire that is never quenched, to purchase the favor of God and be united to Him again. But it is a fruitless wish. Millions and millions of years will bring me no nearer the end of my torments than one poor hour. Oh, eternity, eternity forever and forever!, Oh, the insufferable pangs of Hell!”

David Hume, atheist philosopher famous for his philosophy of empiricism and skepticism of religion, he cried loud on his death bed “I am in flames!” It is said his “desperation was a horrible scene”.

Caesar Borgia: “While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die.

Thomas Payne the leading atheistic writer in American colonies: “Stay with me, for God’s sake; I cannot bear to be left alone , O Lord, help me! O God, what have I done to suffer so much? What will become of me hereafter? “I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. 0 Lord, help me! Christ, help me! …No, don’t leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one.”

Anton LeVey author of the Satanic Bible and high priest of the religion dedicated to the worship of Satan. Some of his famous quotes are “There is a beast in man that needs to be exercised, not exorcised”. His dying words were “Oh my, oh my, what have I done, there is something very wrong…there is something very wrong….”

Robert Ingersoll: “O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!” (Some say it was this way: “Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!”)

Napoleon Bonaparte, the French emperor, and who, like Adolf Hitler, brought death to millions to satisfy his greedy, power-mad, selfish ambitions for world conquest: “I die before my time, and my body will be given back to the earth. Such is the fate of him who has been called the great Napoleon. What an abyss between my deep misery and the eternal kingdom of Christ!”

Sir Thomas Scott, Chancellor of England “Until this moment I thought there was neither a God nor a hell. Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty.”

Charles IX was the French king who urged on by his mother, gave the order for the massacre of the French Huguenots, in which 15,000 souls were slaughtered in Paris alone and 100,000 in other sections of France, for no other reason than that they loved Christ. The guilty king suffered miserably for years after that event. He finally died, bathed in blood bursting from his veins. To his physicians he said in his last hours: “Asleep or awake, I see the mangled forms of the Huguenots passing before me. They drop with blood. They point at their open wounds. Oh! That I had spared at least the little infants at the bosom! What blood! I know not where I am. How will all this end? What shall I do? I am lost forever! I know it. Oh, I have done wrong.”

David Strauss, leading representative of German rationalism, after spending a lifetime erasing belief in God from the minds of others: “My philosophy leaves me utterly forlorn! I feel like one caught in the merciless jaws of an automatic machine, not knowing at what time one of its great hammers may crush me!”

In a Newsweek interview with Svetlana Stalin, the daughter of Josef Stalin, she told of her father’s death: “My father died a difficult and terrible death. . God grants an easy death only to the just. . At what seemed the very last moment he suddenly opened his eyes and cast a glance over everyone in the room. It was a terrible glance, insane or perhaps angry. . His left hand was raised, as though he were pointing to something above and bringing down a curse on us all. The gesture was full of menace. . The next moment he was dead.”'

Did that cut and paste Bible thumping come from your Jimmy Swaggert madrassah?

I must be the only one who reads the 'fear the gods'', ''atheists are going to Hell'', ''Christianity will save your soul'', ''angels are real'', etc., etc.
The beliefs and opinions of others are interesting, but we should place a higher value on our own--especially when these beliefs and opinions are built on experiences and knowledge.

Why do you equate atheism as a ''route''? You do know that non-belief in your gods as well as those who believe in gods competing with your gods is a conclusion, right?
I see it more as a choice.

The beliefs and opinions of others are interesting, but we should place a higher value on our own--especially when these beliefs and opinions are built on experiences and knowledge.
Beliefs and opinions are fine but there's something to be said for facts and evidence. Beliefs and opinions about the supernatural are lacking facts and evidence. Thats why reason and rationality are the basis for knowledge. No one has ever come up with a useful definition of the supernatural. Something having an effect on nature makes that something a part of nature. So, any explanation for something we see in nature can be considered natural.

Many people, primarily religious people, are willing to accept claims to supernatural ad a part of their faith. That's fine as most religions claim special privilege for their faith. Many religious people, however, are not satisfied unless others believe as they do; this group includes all those who want to make their supernaturalism a part of the lives of others. Since they cannot make their case by using naturalistic evidence, they must resort to other means, such as attempting to force tgeir religion into schools or make their religion part of law. This is not hyperbole as such groups continually attempt to get political enforcement on their side.

believers in what ...

nothing about the desert religions is necessary for the rewards of spiritual freedom and admission to the everlasting ...

except belief in their forgeries and fallacies for a spirit to wither and die.

It's a conclusion.
I wrote that I see it as a choice. I get that you see it as a conclusion--you told me so. My own conclusion is that you have no interest in hearing why I see it as a choice. ;)

Beliefs and opinions are fine but there's something to be said for facts and evidence.
Bowling is fine, but there is something to be said for basketball. Science is also fine, but there is also something to be said for philosophy.

Throughout human history, one philosophy we see in several cultures is one of duality, or the idea that two opposite characteristics exist in harmony and complement each other.

People of faith understand that we have a physical reality, physical needs and desires. We also believe that we are made up of body, mind, soul/spirit which also has needs and desires. The hopes and expectations between our physical wants and the wants of our spirits can often conflict. Yet our souls/spirits can and do exist in harmony and do complement each other.

People of faith--because they have a physical body--understand that the body needs care. People of faith understand their spirit/soul needs equal care.

Did that cut and paste Bible thumping come from your Jimmy Swaggert madrassah?
Jimmy said, "Hell is no joke." Here's one that you could've said:

"Until this moment, I thought there was neither God nor Hell... Now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty.

believers in what ...

nothing about the desert religions is necessary for the rewards of spiritual freedom and admission to the everlasting ...

except belief in their forgeries and fallacies for a spirit to wither and die.
This could be your famous last words before the nether hell regions.

"nothing about the desert religions is necessary for the rewards of spiritual freedom and admission to the everlasting ...
except belief in their forgeries and fallacies for a spirit to wither and die."

Bowling is fine, but there is something to be said for basketball. Science is also fine, but there is also something to be said for philosophy.

Throughout human history, one philosophy we see in several cultures is one of duality, or the idea that two opposite characteristics exist in harmony and complement each other.

People of faith understand that we have a physical reality, physical needs and desires. We also believe that we are made up of body, mind, soul/spirit which also has needs and desires. The hopes and expectations between our physical wants and the wants of our spirits can often conflict. Yet our souls/spirits can and do exist in harmony and do complement each other.

People of faith--because they have a physical body--understand that the body needs care. People of faith understand their spirit/soul needs equal care.
How does one care for a soul/spirit? It might be helpful if you could provide some meaningful definition we could examine before accepting such a thing needs caring for. Such things as souls is not something science or medicine can identify. I suppose if we were created by the Christian version of Gods, (as opposed to competing gods), in six literal days, six thousand years ago we could just accept, ''the bible says...'' and not question such an authority.

I wrote that I see it as a choice. I get that you see it as a conclusion--you told me so. My own conclusion is that you have no interest in hearing why I see it as a choice. ;)
I see it as rare thing that anyone chooses their religion. In the KSA, for example, 99.98% of the population is Islamic. That's quite a statement about choosing a religious belief, or, we accept that socio-political-geographic factors are a defining characteristic, not choice.

How does one care for a soul/spirit? It might be helpful if you could provide some meaningful definition we could examine before accepting such a thing needs caring for.
Perhaps saying referencing 'dualism' isn't as clear as I thought. Starting over:

People are made up of an observable physical state (body) and a mental state that is not observable to the outside world. In ancient times what came down to us as 'soul' or 'spirit' from the Hebrew world also came down to us as 'psyche' from Plato and the Greeks. Plato believed that the psyche is eternal; in Hebrew the soul/spirit is eternal.

The difference between mind and psyche is that the mind is the process of rational thought, while psyche (roughly) is more about character and emotional reactions.

Today, some atheists, while recognizing the difference between physical health and mental health, will assert that all mental health is simply neurological matter in the brain. When the physical brain dies, so does neurological action--i.e. the personhood of the physical body.

Such things as souls is not something science or medicine can identify.
Science does accept the difference between physical health and mental health. It can identify mental ailments from a physical ailment--various phobias for example. There is no physical cause of agoraphobia. The fear of crowds or open spaces originates in the mind or psyche.

Perhaps saying referencing 'dualism' isn't as clear as I thought. Starting over:

People are made up of an observable physical state (body) and a mental state that is not observable to the outside world. In ancient times what came down to us as 'soul' or 'spirit' from the Hebrew world also came down to us as 'psyche' from Plato and the Greeks. Plato believed that the psyche is eternal; in Hebrew the soul/spirit is eternal.

The difference between mind and psyche is that the mind is the process of rational thought, while psyche (roughly) is more about character and emotional reactions.

Today, some atheists, while recognizing the difference between physical health and mental health, will assert that all mental health is simply neurological matter in the brain. When the physical brain dies, so does neurological action--i.e. the personhood of the physical body.

Science does accept the difference between physical health and mental health. It can identify mental ailments from a physical ailment--various phobias for example. There is no physical cause of agoraphobia. The fear of crowds or open spaces originates in the mind or psyche.
I'm not clear if psyche is the same thing as the 'soul'. Your description of psyche is what we would call personality, which is a function of the brain. We know that damage or injury to the brain, in addition to various drugs used in psychiatry, can affect personality thus affecting the ''psyche''. It appears that the 'soul' is another term used interchangeably with psyche so it would appear that the soul is a human-defined term relating to personality.

What evidence or data would indicate that personhood lives on after death?

How does one care for a soul/spirit?
Each character trait has its opposite (duality). Patient vs impatient. One may wish to improve on his/her character by becoming more patient.

In the physical realm, one can build muscles by working out. Within the soul/spirit one can build patience.

I'm not clear if psyche is the same thing as the 'soul'. Your description of psyche is what we would call personality, which is a function of the brain.
You mean Plato's description/use of 'psyche'? I imagine Plato did see personality as part of the psyche as personality is not a physical trait. I suppose Plato could have seen personality as part of the mind (rational thought) but we would have to study up on that.

For purposes of this discussion, dualism in its broadest use seemed to suffice.

It appears that the 'soul' is another term used interchangeably with psyche so it would appear that the soul is a human-defined term relating to personality.
Again, some atheists prefer that direction of thought--i.e. it is all neurology and the personality is made up of neuron firings and when neurons die that by-product of neuron firings that is also known as personality is no more.

Interesting legal concept, isn't it? Why punish the body because of how neurons fire? Neurons are controlling us--we control...nothing.

Forum List

Back