Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers

Intern Blog: Lauren’s first day in Texas sent her to Oklahoma to provide disaster relief

Screen-Shot-2013-06-10-at-11.26.08-AM-640x428.jpg

6/10/13
Lauren

Most people’s first day of a new job or internship includes sitting at a cubicle, filling out some paperwork, and trying (and usually failing) to connect to the company’s computer server. My first day as an intern with Mercury One involved helping with disaster relief work in the heart of Oklahoma. I quickly learned that nothing deters this incredible organization. Although severe storms were once again pounding Oklahoma this past weekend – to be quite honest, I’m deathly afraid of tornadoes and was more than a little nervous about the trip – the team was on the ground within hours. I pulled together my courage, packed my backpack, and joined Mercury One for a humbling, moving, and life-changing experience.

Those of us new to disaster relief did not know what to expect as we drove in to Oklahoma. At first, everything seemed normal. As we suddenly turned a street corner, however, our eyes fell upon the desolation. Joel, a fellow intern, said in amazement, “When we first got there and were looking at the neighborhoods, you’d see a single devastated street or house – just a small window of destruction. And then you’d look up and see that everywhere there was nothing.” I had seen pictures in the media, but being there in person left me speechless. Homes were reduced to a pile of rubble, yet parts of everyday life still caught my attention: a toothbrush caught between two bricks, a stuffed animal poking out from underneath a piece of concrete, the game Battleship lying on the side of a road. These small remnants of people’s possessions forced us to remember that this was not debris; it was the lives, hopes, and dreams of men, women, families, and children.

Intern Blog: Lauren?s first day in Texas sent her to Oklahoma to provide disaster relief ? Glenn Beck

Intern Blog: Lauren’s first day in Texas sent her to Oklahoma to provide disaster relief

6/10/13
Lauren

Most people’s first day of a new job or internship includes sitting at a cubicle, filling out some paperwork, and trying (and usually failing) to connect to the company’s computer server. My first day as an intern with Mercury One involved helping with disaster relief work in the heart of Oklahoma. I quickly learned that nothing deters this incredible organization. Although severe storms were once again pounding Oklahoma this past weekend – to be quite honest, I’m deathly afraid of tornadoes and was more than a little nervous about the trip – the team was on the ground within hours. I pulled together my courage, packed my backpack, and joined Mercury One for a humbling, moving, and life-changing experience.

Those of us new to disaster relief did not know what to expect as we drove in to Oklahoma. At first, everything seemed normal. As we suddenly turned a street corner, however, our eyes fell upon the desolation. Joel, a fellow intern, said in amazement, “When we first got there and were looking at the neighborhoods, you’d see a single devastated street or house – just a small window of destruction. And then you’d look up and see that everywhere there was nothing.” I had seen pictures in the media, but being there in person left me speechless. Homes were reduced to a pile of rubble, yet parts of everyday life still caught my attention: a toothbrush caught between two bricks, a stuffed animal poking out from underneath a piece of concrete, the game Battleship lying on the side of a road. These small remnants of people’s possessions forced us to remember that this was not debris; it was the lives, hopes, and dreams of men, women, families, and children.

Intern Blog: Lauren?s first day in Texas sent her to Oklahoma to provide disaster relief ? Glenn Beck

Some here will probably accuse her of showboating too. I have worked enough with not-for-profit organizations though that I am very aware that without visibility and publiciity and making the needs known and asking for help, it is darn difficult to get contributions.

6/10/13
Lauren

Some here will probably accuse her of showboating too. I have worked enough with not-for-profit organizations though that I am very aware that without visibility and publiciity and making the needs known and asking for help, it is darn difficult to get contributions.

Same thing that I was getting at earlier and is completely ignored by those that simply want to hate Beck no matter what. The TV and radio are just another way that those that have fame and influence can help in these instances. A donation is miniscule compared to the awareness and focus that these individuals can bring to an area. What might have been a single donation given in private becomes thousands of donations when the focus is out on it.

Some don’t care though. Beck is a political figure and they will hate a political figure like him no matter what. It is sad that they cannot get past that hate and telling about how bad the politics in this nation have become. When you have so internally demonized a party that acts of charity still bring ire, there is no way whatsoever to come to even grounds on anything.

Forum List

Back