Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers

I'm glad somebody brought up Shep Smith. I like Shep; he doesn't tolerate con artists either. With the rest of the Fox team jumping on the bandwagon, Shep was honest enough to point out the emperor's lack of clothing, with delicious sarcasm:

Shepard Smith Goofs on Glenn Beck! - YouTube

I've been watching Shep for awhile now, and what you were watching in that clip was not sarcasm but the way Shep has fun with everybody when he can step out of this anchor suit and just clown around and tease. Just as you take Beck's self-deprecating humor seriously, you were unable to see that Shep was having fun with Beck and Beck was enjoying it immensely and the two of them are friends.

But oh well.

I still think Beck did a good thing using his name and following to net a lot of donations for people hurting in Olklahoma and I choose to acknowledge and applaud that.

Even as haters are gonna hate.

I don't use "sarcasm" disparagingly; I think it's an art form and Shep has it down. As far as the language broadcast people use with each other, I'm very very familiar with it and Smith is just dripping with disdain for Beck's ego. Broadcasters. trust me, have their own "bless his heart" vernacular (actually there used to be a better clip on YouTube with Smith going outside to report on the size of Beck's production trailer, but that clip seems to have been taken down). So I have no doubt what Smith means here. Neither does Chris Wallace. Sure Shep's having fun, entirely at Beck's expense, but what I like is he's refusing to be dazzled by the Beck Bullshit, so he's mocking the hype. And rightly so.

I like that about Shep Smith in general; he doesn't suffer fools and he'll let the viewer know where he stands. He seems to have the same view of phony that I do.

Last edited:
I always suspected Glenn Beck wore diapers. I'm glad he brings his own supply of water, food, and diapers wherever he goes.

This is a typical Beck dog & pony show.

Where is Hissy Matthiew's truck load of stuff ? Even if it is a dog and pony show, at least stuff is getting to people.

This is the original point: if "Hissy Matthews" (or anyone else) sends relief to Oklahoma, we don't need to know about it. The point would be that it gets done; not that Hissy or Prissy or Cissy jumps out in front of a camera to get the credit for it.

There's just a stark difference between charity and exploitation. The former is silent; the latter, loud.

No one here at all is ‘hero worshipping.’ Most of the people here do not even like Beck. What you are doing is villainizing, equally as bad as hero worshipping, just as acidic and it should induce the same effect. As fox said, this reads like BECK BAAAAD just because it is Beck. I found it revolting that people here cannot come to terms with the someone doing something good.

Howdy FAQ.
No one's disputing that it's doing something good. It's just that some of us know his history and we're, shall we say, a bit skeptical of its ulterior motive. As I keep saying, there's just waaaaaaay too much history to not be.

I think it's best summed up in an old saying:
"Fool me once, shame on... shame on ..y-you.... fool me five days a week on Fox News plus a daily radio show and I'm just not buying the same old snake oil again".

That's absolutely true and it's a point I make around here constantly. But it's got no relevance here. Again, as I said from the start, this isn't about politics. It's personal. It's about character and credibility. Glenn Beck has shown me waaaaay too much of the negative in those area for me to suddenly play dumb for him. He's got an enormous amount of history to undo before he wipes that particular slate clean and earns my trust. Right now, there's no way I'm buying it. What I see is manipulation and exploitation of a disaster area.

I already made just this point in the next quote in your post:

And again as I said from the start, in a true spirit of giving there is no need to call attention to oneself and crow "look at me I'm donating". Unfortunately that's the same old pattern we've always seen from this guy. Well -- some of us have seen. Suddenly I'm supposed to forget all that and ass-ume he's sincere for the first time? Noooo thank you.

That's my opinion. Love it or leave it.

What you say does not really make sense though Pogo. It is attacking a straw man, not the point. Essentially, no one is saying that Beck is a good guy. There really aren’t many here stating anything about Beck in general. We have to go all the way back to the OP to get the heart of this:
I don't agree with some of Glenn Beck's politics, but this is very generous what he is doing.

Convoy of hope: Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers | Twitchy
The simple statement is that what he did was generous. A good thing. It does not even matter what his motives were, I don’t care. I never look at a gift and then demand the motive – that is a terrible thing to do. Whatever reason; whether self-interest, self-importance, arrogance or genuine charity the motive is utterly meaningless? Many evil actions start with good intentions and some good actions start with bad intentions. The actions are still the same either way.

I do not claim that Beck is some wonderful do gooder or even that he did this solely out of the kindness of his heart. The reality is that you and I have no idea what his motives are. I can no more divine that than I can divine the future. What I can do is look at what he is doing and simply acknowledge that it is a good thing and a generous one.

PS. Howdy Pogo :D

Where's the straw man then?
As you noted, the OP describes Beck's action as "generous". I take issue with that characterization specifically because of his motives, i.e. what I believe them to be.

Now I base that on years of past experience only; obviously I cannot get inside Beck's head to declare definitively what his motive is. But neither can anyone else. So that's my read.

Aside from the publicity generated, the time he took to do this one-off act of charity is in itself very philanthropic indeed.

Hopefully, to show it wasn't all just a publicity stunt, he'll continue the generosity and set up funds and donations to assist victims of disasters everywhere in the US and not just in the red, red state of OK.
Publicity with whom?

Who covered Beck's actions, at any level, that could've been a profit to his media operation?

C'mon....Now is the time to show off your media marketing chops....Dazzle us.

Beck tweeted to the world what he was doing every step of the way.

Beck covered Beck.

yea, making sure everyone knew of his efforts and encouraging them to contribute. its called getting the word out.

I'm glad somebody brought up Shep Smith. I like Shep; he doesn't tolerate con artists either. With the rest of the Fox team jumping on the bandwagon, Shep was honest enough to point out the emperor's lack of clothing, with delicious sarcasm:

Shepard Smith Goofs on Glenn Beck! - YouTube

I've been watching Shep for awhile now, and what you were watching in that clip was not sarcasm but the way Shep has fun with everybody when he can step out of this anchor suit and just clown around and tease. Just as you take Beck's self-deprecating humor seriously, you were unable to see that Shep was having fun with Beck and Beck was enjoying it immensely and the two of them are friends.

But oh well.

I still think Beck did a good thing using his name and following to net a lot of donations for people hurting in Olklahoma and I choose to acknowledge and applaud that.

I don't use "sarcasm" disparagingly; I think it's an art form and Shep has it down. As far as the language broadcast people use with each other, I'm very very familiar with it and Smith is just dripping with disdain for Beck's ego. Broadcasters. trust me, have their own "bless his heart" vernacular (actually there used to be a better clip on YouTube with Smith going outside to report on the size of Beck's production trailer, but that clip seems to have been taken down). So I have no doubt what Smith means here. Neither does Chris Wallace. Sure Shep's having fun, entirely at Beck's expense, but what I like is he's refusing to be dazzled by the Beck Bullshit, so he's mocking the hype. And rightly so.

I like that about Shep Smith in general; he doesn't suffer fools and he'll let the viewer know where he stands. He seems to have the same view of phony that I do.

Well I'm glad you like that about Shep in general however wrong you are about what he was doing. Your hatred for Beck comes shining through. Do you honestly think Fox News would allow that kind of banter if wasn't all in jest? But the leftists, so often clueless about what real respect and tolerance looks like, wet their pants and jump on it with glee and make a completely wrong big deal out of it just as they do with a lot of comments out of context by anybody they don't like.

Tsk tsk. Shameful but a fact of life we'll all have to endure I suppose. You even think your insights are superior to everybody elses. I love some of you dearly and accept that you just can't help yourselves. :)

As for 'nobody having to know about it', I wish you would share your magic formula for generating huge amounts of donations without others knowing about it. That would be a great trick if you can pull it off. I wonder how the Red Cross does it without any publicity, no interviews, no media coverage whatsoever? (That was sarcasm in hopes that you are able to learn the difference between that and joking around.)

Another obsevation about Beck:
Lizz Winstead, ultra liberal of "The Daily Show" sarcastically tweeted this as the tornado was grinding through Moore OK:
“The tornado is in Oklahoma so clearly it has been ordered to target only conservatives.” It created something of a firestorm of people damning and denouncing her for the cruelly tasteless remark.

When she realized how tragic the event was she apologized tweeting she was “beyond sorry” and “deserves” any of the criticism the media fling at her.

Beck was the one to come to her defense and tweeted: “Leave lizz winstead alone.Clearly bad joke. How many of us has made a joke we wished we could take back? She has to feel awful. #castfirststone”
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/glenn-be...of-us-made-joke-we-wished-we-could-take-back/

Now in my book, THAT was classy most especially since she would not have hesitated to denigrate him even more judgmentally than our friend Pogo does. :)

People can hold strong views with which we don't agree and yet they are good, decent, honest, caring people doing what they can to make a positive difference in the world. Though I disagree with Beck about as much as I agree with him, I think Glenn Beck is such a person. He is not evil. He uses the gifts and abilities that God gave him as best as he knows how. His gifts just happen to be of the kind that makes a person famous. I won't condemn him for that.

Last edited:
Howdy FAQ.
No one's disputing that it's doing something good. It's just that some of us know his history and we're, shall we say, a bit skeptical of its ulterior motive. As I keep saying, there's just waaaaaaay too much history to not be.

I think it's best summed up in an old saying:
"Fool me once, shame on... shame on ..y-you.... fool me five days a week on Fox News plus a daily radio show and I'm just not buying the same old snake oil again".

That's absolutely true and it's a point I make around here constantly. But it's got no relevance here. Again, as I said from the start, this isn't about politics. It's personal. It's about character and credibility. Glenn Beck has shown me waaaaay too much of the negative in those area for me to suddenly play dumb for him. He's got an enormous amount of history to undo before he wipes that particular slate clean and earns my trust. Right now, there's no way I'm buying it. What I see is manipulation and exploitation of a disaster area.

I already made just this point in the next quote in your post:

And again as I said from the start, in a true spirit of giving there is no need to call attention to oneself and crow "look at me I'm donating". Unfortunately that's the same old pattern we've always seen from this guy. Well -- some of us have seen. Suddenly I'm supposed to forget all that and ass-ume he's sincere for the first time? Noooo thank you.

That's my opinion. Love it or leave it.

What you say does not really make sense though Pogo. It is attacking a straw man, not the point. Essentially, no one is saying that Beck is a good guy. There really aren’t many here stating anything about Beck in general. We have to go all the way back to the OP to get the heart of this:
I don't agree with some of Glenn Beck's politics, but this is very generous what he is doing.

Convoy of hope: Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers | Twitchy
The simple statement is that what he did was generous. A good thing. It does not even matter what his motives were, I don’t care. I never look at a gift and then demand the motive – that is a terrible thing to do. Whatever reason; whether self-interest, self-importance, arrogance or genuine charity the motive is utterly meaningless? Many evil actions start with good intentions and some good actions start with bad intentions. The actions are still the same either way.

I do not claim that Beck is some wonderful do gooder or even that he did this solely out of the kindness of his heart. The reality is that you and I have no idea what his motives are. I can no more divine that than I can divine the future. What I can do is look at what he is doing and simply acknowledge that it is a good thing and a generous one.

As you noted, the OP describes Beck's action as "generous". I take issue with that characterization specifically because of his motives, i.e. what I believe them to be.

Now I base that on years of past experience only; obviously I cannot get inside Beck's head to declare definitively what his motive is. But neither can anyone else. So that's my read.

So why project?

But oh well.

Well I'm glad you like that about Shep in general however wrong you are about what he was doing. Your hatred for Beck comes shining through. Do you honestly think Fox News would allow that kind of banter if wasn't all in jest? But the leftists, so often clueless about what real respect and tolerance looks like, wet their pants and jump on it with glee and make a completely wrong big deal out of it just as they do with all comments out of context by anybody they don't like.

Tsk tsk. Shameful but a fact of life we'll all have to endure I suppose. You even think your insights are superior to everybody elses. I love some of you dearly and accept that you just can't help yourselves. :)

As for 'nobody having to know about it', I wish you would share your magic formula for generating huge amounts of donations without others knowing about it. That would be a great trick if you can pull it off. I wonder how the Red Cross does it without any publicity, no interviews, no media coverage whatsoever? (That was sarcasm in hopes that you are able to learn the difference between that and joking around.)

Lizz Winstead, ultra liberal of "The Daily Show" sarcastically tweeted this as the tornado was grinding through Moore OK:
“The tornado is in Oklahoma so clearly it has been ordered to target only conservatives.” It created something of a firestorm of people damning and denouncing her for the cruelly tasteless remark.

When she realized how tragic the event was she apologized tweeting she was “beyond sorry” and “deserves” any of the criticism the media fling at her.

Beck was the one to come to her defense and tweeted: “Leave lizz winstead alone.Clearly bad joke. How many of us has made a joke we wished we could take back? She has to feel awful. #castfirststone”

Now in my book, THAT was classy most especially since she would not have hesitated to denigrate him even more judgmentally than our friend Pogo does. :)

People can hold strong views with which we don't agree and yet they are good, decent, honest, caring people doing what they can to make a positive difference in the world. Though I disagree with Beck about as much as I agree with him, I think Glenn Beck is such a person. He is not evil. He uses the gifts and abilities that God gave him as best as he knows how. His gifts just happen to be of the kind that makes a person famous. I won't condemn him for that.

I agree with you, that was a classy move about Winstead, and a rare moment of honesty. But it's not related to the point here.

To back up, you're presuming I have some kind of "hatred" for Glenn Beck? Not the case and I didn't say that. I just see him as a charlatan, a phony, a huckster, a con artist, a megalomaniac manipulator, and I just have no respect for people like that who prey on others. It's really not as complicated as you'd like to fancy.

As far as publicity, it seems to me Back has a website, a radio show, disciples, all the various resources that can tap numbers of people; sure, go ahead and splash it on the website, talk about it on the radio, all that. But when you take a convoy and a camera up there to make sure you get face time on the deal, well that's where the wind starts blowing in from the stockyards.

Last edited:

So why project?

He just contradicted himself. He has been going on and on and on about Beck's motives and stating, without qualifications, that he is doing it for attention, etc. etc. etc. He is phony etc. etc. etc. Yadda yadda. And now he says he can't say definitively what his motive is? LOL.

In defense of Pogo, I too have found myself in a heated argument in which I find myself arguing against a point I made earlier or at least qualifying it. Us extraverts are more likely to do that I think as we develop our argument as we go along.

So why project?

He just contradicted himself. He has been going on and on and on about Beck's motives and stating, without qualifications, that he is doing it for attention, etc. etc. etc. He is phony etc. etc. etc. Yadda yadda. And now he says he can't say definitively what his motive is? LOL.

In defense of Pogo, I too have found myself in a heated argument in which I find myself arguing against a point I made earlier or at least qualifying it. Us extraverts are more likely to do that I think as we develop our argument as we go along.

Foxy, where have I ever claimed I know definitively what's in the Beck head? I simply gave my assessment. That's what it was from the start.
There's been no "contradiction"; it's my read, it was my read at the beginning, it continues to be my read now, and I stand by it.

Last edited:

Well I'm glad you like that about Shep in general however wrong you are about what he was doing. Your hatred for Beck comes shining through. Do you honestly think Fox News would allow that kind of banter if wasn't all in jest? But the leftists, so often clueless about what real respect and tolerance looks like, wet their pants and jump on it with glee and make a completely wrong big deal out of it just as they do with all comments out of context by anybody they don't like.

I agree with you, that was a classy move about Winstead, and a rare moment of honesty. But to back up, you're presuming I have some kind of "hatred" for Glenn Beck? Not the case. I just see him as a charlatan, a phony, a huckster, a con artist, a megalomaniac, and that I have no respect for. It's really not as complicated as you'd like to fancy.

As far as publicity, it seems to me Back has a website, a radio show, disciples, all the various resources that can tap numbers of people; sure, go ahead and splash it on the website, talk about it on the radio, all that. But when you take a convoy and a camera up there to make sure you get face time on the deal, well that's where the wind starts blowing in from the stockyards.

When you say the same about the Red Cross, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, or any other celebrity or organization who uses their name and presence and media exposure to generate attention and donations for a cause, I will believe you don't have a deep seated prejudice and loathing re Beck who will continue to bring in donations for the cause. Perhaps you can point to any mainstream media he has sought out.

Will you be condemning Barack Obama who will arrive amidst a whole entourage of media who will record and report on the front pages and evening news his care and concern for the people of Oklahoma when he visits? If Beck's efforts are selfish, phony, and self serving, what makes the President's any different?

We have some guys in our church who have risked their very lives to get food and supplies into an orphanage in Juarez that we sponsor. And they bring back lots and lots of photos to share with those of us who provided the donations. Those are e-mailed around and sometimes posted on Facebook and are advertised as ready to be seen on our website. Are we all as evil as you see Beck because he uses the same methods to generate interest and support in a cause?

Last edited:

I agree with you, that was a classy move about Winstead, and a rare moment of honesty. But it's not related to the point here.

To back up, you're presuming I have some kind of "hatred" for Glenn Beck? Not the case and I didn't say that. I just see him as a charlatan, a phony, a huckster, a con artist, a megalomaniac manipulator, and I just have no respect for people like that who prey on others. It's really not as complicated as you'd like to fancy.

Why is it wrong to show the people who donated their money, that he & his crew was there, to show what their money had bought for the victims and to show more of the devastation and the others who are there helping?
He was the first to report about people's pets, dogs, cats & birds being kept there at the
Home Depot.
Con Artists don't show anything about where that money goes, they just take it and tell the people of what good it is doing for the people.
His emergency supply mission was called Convoy of hope.
It was about all of the people helping Oklahoma out as in a convoy of people as well as the convoy of vehicles.

Last edited:

I agree with you, that was a classy move about Winstead, and a rare moment of honesty. But to back up, you're presuming I have some kind of "hatred" for Glenn Beck? Not the case. I just see him as a charlatan, a phony, a huckster, a con artist, a megalomaniac, and that I have no respect for. It's really not as complicated as you'd like to fancy.

When you say the same about the Red Cross, Blake Shelton, Toby Keith, or any other celebrity or organization who uses their name and presence and media exposure to generate attention and donations for a cause, I will believe you don't have a deep seated prejudice and loathing re Beck who will continue to bring in donations for the cause. Perhaps you can point to any mainstream media he has sought out.

Will you be condemning Barack Obama who will arrive amidst a whole entourage of media who will record and report on the front pages and evening news his care and concern for the people of Oklahoma when he visits? If Beck's efforts are selfish, phony, and self serving, what makes the President's any different?

We have some guys in our church who have risked their very lives to get food and supplies into an orphanage in Juarez that we sponsor. And they bring back lots and lots of photos to share with those of us who provided the donations. Those are e-mailed around and sometimes posted on Facebook and are advertised as ready to be seen on our website. Are we all as evil as you see Beck because he uses the same methods to generate interest and support in a cause?

I don't think you got my point above. It's not the operation; it's the face time. Once again I will reiterate, we've got a 500-post thread (whatever it is) about Glenn Beck. That shouldn't be the focus here, but that's (I believe) his goal, and he's achieved it, QED.

A president as the face of the nation needs to show up (ask George Bush about that). And the press will cover it because it is the president. That's a wee bit different from a demagogue toting cameras out to milk a publicity cow.

I might add, pertinent to the "hero worship" mentioned earlier, that I haven't been trying to change anybody's mind here. It's y'all who are trying to change mine.

So why project?

Foxy, where have I ever claimed I know definitively what's in the Beck head? I simply gave my assessment. That's what it was from the start.
There's been no "contradiction"; it's my read, it was my read at the beginning, it continues to be my read now, and I stand by it.

You can't have a read without having an opinion about somebody's motives. And THAT is what I find fault with--presuming to judge his motives and holding him to a standard that applies to nobody else. I've given you lots of opportunity to hold other people who are trying to help in Oklahoma to the same standard you are holding Beck, but you seem to think HE is the only one who is phony and self serving.

Seriously, the President will create delays at the airport, traffic diversions and other inconveniences in the devastated area, and disrupt some rescue efforts at the scene when he visits. He could just as easily explain this and stay in Washington while the search and rescue continues. (He would get kudos from me if he did that.)But he will show up there in person with cameras and media in tow. It will be staged as purely a photo op as there is absolutely no reason he HAS to be there and he could survey the damage from a helicopter. Will you criticize him for that? Are his motives pure? Do you know for sure? I won't second guess him on that.

And I think Glenn Beck deserves the same benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

You can't have a read without having an opinion about somebody's motives. And THAT is what I find fault with--presuming to judge his motives and holding him to a standard that applies to nobody else. I've given you lots of opportunity to hold other people who are trying to help in Oklahoma to the same standard you are holding Beck, but you seem to think HE is the only one who is phony and self serving.

Seriously, the President will create delays at the airport, traffic diversions and other inconveniences in the devastated area, and disrupt some rescue efforts at the scene when he visits. He could just as easily explain this and stay in Washington while the search and rescue continues. (He would get kudos from me if he did that.)But he will show up there in person with cameras and media in tow. It will be staged as purely a photo as there is absolutely no reason he HAS to be there and he could survey the damage from a helicopter. Will you criticize him for that? Are his motives pure? Do you know for sure? I won't second guess him on that.

If the POTUS does that for the purpose of political gain and face time, he will be just as wrong. As would anyone acting for that purpose.

I don't know the names you gave earlier as egomaniacs. Maybe some are, maybe all are. I don't know. Beck however has a known history. A long and checkered and obvious one. There's no getting around that. It's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Seriously, the President will create delays at the airport, traffic diversions and other inconveniences in the devastated area, and disrupt some rescue efforts at the scene when he visits. He could just as easily explain this and stay in Washington while the search and rescue continues. (He would get kudos from me if he did that.)But he will show up there in person with cameras and media in tow. It will be staged as purely a photo as there is absolutely no reason he HAS to be there and he could survey the damage from a helicopter. Will you criticize him for that? Are his motives pure? Do you know for sure? I won't second guess him on that.

If the POTUS does that for the purpose of political gain and face time, he will be just as wrong. As would anyone acting for that purpose.

I don't know the names you gave earlier as egomaniacs. Maybe some are, maybe all are. I don't know. Beck however has a history. A long and checkered and obvious one. It's a no brainer.

You don't see Barack Obama as an ego maniac but you do see Glenn Beck that way. LOL. Okay. It's a free country meaning we are free to have our personal biases and prejudices and I'll accept you with all of yours. The world won't end and you aren't evil because you hate Glenn Beck. :)

I don't know the names you gave earlier as egomaniacs. Maybe some are, maybe all are. I don't know. Beck however has a history. A long and checkered and obvious one. It's a no brainer.

You don't see Barack Obama as an ego maniac but you do see Glenn Beck that way. LOL. Okay. It's a free country meaning we are free to have our personal biases and prejudices and I'll accept you with all of yours. The world won't end and you aren't evil because you hate Glenn Beck. :)

the left is still freaking out about becks good deeds i see

Still projecting "hate", but other than that thank you. I was beginning to wonder. :coffee:

When I refer to Beck as an egomaniac I'm just playing the part of Captain Obvious. Is this a revelation to anyone? Really?
As for O'bama, I just got done saying (it's still appearing above) that if he comes in and does the same thing he's just as wrong.
But no, he doesn't have anywhere near the same history. Virtually no one does. Ted Nugent perhaps, but Ted doesn't have a daily radio show and a Fox News legacy.

Last edited:

Still projecting "hate", but other than that thank you. I was beginning to wonder. :coffee:

When I refer to Beck as an egomaniac I'm just playing the part of Captain Obvious. Is this a revelation to anyone? Really?
As for O'bama, I just got done saying (it's still appearing above) that if he comes in and does the same thing he's just as wrong. But no, he doesn't have anywhere near the same history. Virtually no one does.

Since he didn't seek out media coverage in Oklahoma and the others did, or will, it sure isn't obvious to me. Since I don't see Beck as different from any other person who choose media as their vocation, it isn't obvious to me. But then again, though I very often disagree with Beck, I don't dislike him. Or presume the credentials to know his motives. And you do. And therein is the difference.

Last edited:
32 pages (so far), dedicated to a Talk-Show Host, showboating in a disaster area?

Wow... I mean... uhhhhh... just... wow...

Forum List

Back