Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers

Beck used twitter to get donations, trucks and supplies.
The people wanted to know what he was doing and how it was going.

Glenn Beck used Twitter to organize a “convoy of hope” to travel to Oklahoma to provide early disaster relief. Within hours, Beck’s team had used Twitter to locate trucks and supplies, and they were on their way, arriving in the Moore area bearing food, water, and diapers, generators and gas for the generators.

Beck’s convoy of hope has seen remarkable success. In just over a day, it has raised over $500,000. Initially, Beck hoped to raise at least $50,000 but with over 6,000 donations his organization has long surpassed that goal.

This is an occasion where we get to use social media in a different form, and a more proactive one. From securing trucks and supplies to soliciting thousands of donations, there is no other way that Glenn Beck or anyone could have seen these results so quickly.

If there are plenty of things Americans do wrong, coming together and helping one another after a disaster is one thing we do right without fail. Maybe we don’t have to be “who [we] promised to be on 9/12/2001”, like Beck asked of his Twitter followers. Maybe we can be who we’ve always been, and continue taking care of our own, which is easier now more than ever.

OTOH, he will have challenged liberals to outdo the millions he has inspired his base to contribute, which will result in good things for people who have lost so much.

A great man has humbled himself so that those who lost all will be restored by their fellow Americans. You can tell he is great by the size of his enemies. ;)

Aside from the publicity generated, the time he took to do this one-off act of charity is in itself very philanthropic indeed.

Hopefully, to show it wasn't all just a publicity stunt, he'll continue the generosity and set up funds and donations to assist victims of disasters everywhere in the US and not just in the red, red state of OK.

Mercury One has done a lot of things
10 semi truck loads to New York and New Jersey for Hurricane Sandy Victims.
Read up on what they have done.
Welcome to Mercury One

Yes, Mercury One does a lot of things for sure.

This is from their Mission Statement:

Restoration, not Transformation
Mercury One's goal is not to transform America into what we see as a better set of ideals or standards, but to restore those which made America the exceptional nation that it came to be. Restoring America starts at home, with each individual and family holding themselves to a set of values and principals higher than those set by society.

Restoring America starts with restoring self-reliance. Our kids are being taught that bigger government is the answer to all of our problems; that hard work doesn’t matter; that principals and values are out-of-date and harm your ability to succeed. Mercury One rejects that.
Prepare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like Beck himself wrote that, yearning for the fantastical good ol' days.

Good for Beck's fans and the donations they made to the relief effort.

Beck will get as much mileage out of it as he can. At least he is promising to give 100% of his fan's donations, unlike in the past where he covered all of his expenses for his PR/charity events before handing out any funds.

He is a scumbag that preys on fools.

Beck will get as much mileage out of it as he can. At least he is promising to give 100% of his fan's donations, unlike in the past where he covered all of his expenses for his PR/charity events before handing out any funds.

Yeah, Mercury One doesn't sound all above board at all:

Until recent weeks, Mercury One's website, mercuryone.org, listed only one board member: President Joe Kerry, a former New Jersey lawyer and the senior vice president of Beck's company.

Lately, Mercury One has listed two more board members: Tania Beck, Glenn Beck's wife, and Aledo religious author and speaker David Barton, a former Texas GOP vice chairman.

I don't know about you. But to me, this doesn't sound like philanthropy.

Both the Better Business Bureau and the New Jersey-based evaluation group Charity Navigator say charity boards should have at least five members, with only one -- not the board president or treasurer -- earning pay or benefiting from activities.

Read more here: Commentary: Holding Glenn Beck's Mercury One charity accountable | McClatchy

that is not true, he has done donations and given 100% of all funds before.

i'm seriously tired of the numerous liberals lies on this board.

And what is wrong with taking the cost of his meal out of the fund? Picky, Picky, Picky.

Foxy's a wonderful gal with a heart of gold and nothing changes that. But ditto :D

I just have a hard time with hero-worship. Always did. So when I see some of the not-so-fancy sycophancy I see here I go :puke3: . It would be the same for any con artist.

Love ya Foxy. {{}}

No one here at all is ‘hero worshipping.’ Most of the people here do not even like Beck. What you are doing is villainizing, equally as bad as hero worshipping, just as acidic and it should induce the same effect. As fox said, this reads like BECK BAAAAD just because it is Beck. I found it revolting that people here cannot come to terms with the someone doing something good.

Howdy FAQ.
No one's disputing that it's doing something good. It's just that some of us know his history and we're, shall we say, a bit skeptical of its ulterior motive. As I keep saying, there's just waaaaaaay too much history to not be.

I think it's best summed up in an old saying:
"Fool me once, shame on... shame on ..y-you.... fool me five days a week on Fox News plus a daily radio show and I'm just not buying the same old snake oil again".

The inability to accept the idea that Beck has done a good thing really speaks to the serious division that we have in politics to date. Do you not realize that the constant demonization of the other side is the root of many of the problems we face? When we have come to a point where you can’t even look at someone giving and admit that is a good thing, how in the hell do you expect to be able to communicate at all?

That's absolutely true and it's a point I make around here constantly. But it's got no relevance here. Again, as I said from the start, this isn't about politics. It's personal. It's about character and credibility. Glenn Beck has shown me waaaaay too much of the negative in those area for me to suddenly play dumb for him. He's got an enormous amount of history to undo before he wipes that particular slate clean and earns my trust. Right now, there's no way I'm buying it. What I see is manipulation and exploitation of a disaster area.

I already made just this point in the next quote in your post:

I don't know why this has to drag out all day but it's really simple: I don't cotton to con artists. So when I see the king of 'em flying off to a disaster area with cameras, I call it as I see it: opportunism. That's it.
I didn't bring up religion, I didn't bring up politics, and I didn't call anyone in this thread "dishonest" for expressing their view, yet y'all are jumping on me with all of the above strawmen. Perhaps it's time to examine your own motivations.

To bad we don’t have more opportunists then. There would not be a need to donate anything if there were.

And again as I said from the start, in a true spirit of giving there is no need to call attention to oneself and crow "look at me I'm donating". Unfortunately that's the same old pattern we've always seen from this guy. Well -- some of us have seen. Suddenly I'm supposed to forget all that and ass-ume he's sincere for the first time? Noooo thank you.

That's my opinion. Love it or leave it.

Last edited:

that is not true, he has done donations and given 100% of all funds before.

i'm seriously tired of the numerous liberals lies on this board.

You obviously haven't followed Beck for long or you would know better.

Wikipedia....lol

I was there....with the FAMILIES who had to wait an extra day for their loved ones to dock because of Bush's photo op....and....it was the WH who paid for and put up that banner.

Really. I'm supposed to believe you were there.

There was a quote in my post. That means they actually said what was posted, regardless of where it was cited.

Absolutely...and I still live in the San Diego area. So...you share with us how far off the coast was the Lincoln? What kind of plane did Bush come in on? Could the ship be seen from the pier?

Bumping for Fishface.

Foxy's a wonderful gal with a heart of gold and nothing changes that. But ditto :D

I just have a hard time with hero-worship. Always did. So when I see some of the not-so-fancy sycophancy I see here I go :puke3: . It would be the same for any con artist.

Love ya Foxy. {{}}

No one here at all is ‘hero worshipping.’ Most of the people here do not even like Beck. What you are doing is villainizing, equally as bad as hero worshipping, just as acidic and it should induce the same effect. As fox said, this reads like BECK BAAAAD just because it is Beck. I found it revolting that people here cannot come to terms with the someone doing something good.

Howdy FAQ.
No one's disputing that it's doing something good. It's just that some of us know his history and we're, shall we say, a bit skeptical of its ulterior motive. As I keep saying, there's just waaaaaaay too much history to not be.

I think it's best summed up in an old saying:
"Fool me once, shame on... shame on ..y-you.... fool me five days a week on Fox News plus a daily radio show and I'm just not buying the same old snake oil again".

That's absolutely true and it's a point I make around here constantly. But it's got no relevance here. Again, as I said from the start, this isn't about politics. It's personal. It's about character and credibility. Glenn Beck has shown me waaaaay too much of the negative in those area for me to suddenly play dumb for him. He's got an enormous amount of history to undo before he wipes that particular slate clean and earns my trust. Right now, there's no way I'm buying it. What I see is manipulation and exploitation of a disaster area.

I already made just this point in the next quote in your post:

I don't know why this has to drag out all day but it's really simple: I don't cotton to con artists. So when I see the king of 'em flying off to a disaster area with cameras, I call it as I see it: opportunism. That's it.
I didn't bring up religion, I didn't bring up politics, and I didn't call anyone in this thread "dishonest" for expressing their view, yet y'all are jumping on me with all of the above strawmen. Perhaps it's time to examine your own motivations.

To bad we don’t have more opportunists then. There would not be a need to donate anything if there were.

And again as I said from the start, in a true spirit of giving there is no need to call attention to oneself and crow "look at me I'm donating". Unfortunately that's the same old pattern we've always seen from this guy. Well -- some of us have seen. Suddenly I'm supposed to forget all that and ass-ume he's sincere for the first time? Noooo thank you.

That's my opinion. Love it or leave it.

What you say does not really make sense though Pogo. It is attacking a straw man, not the point. Essentially, no one is saying that Beck is a good guy. There really aren’t many here stating anything about Beck in general. We have to go all the way back to the OP to get the heart of this:
I don't agree with some of Glenn Beck's politics, but this is very generous what he is doing.

Convoy of hope: Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers | Twitchy
The simple statement is that what he did was generous. A good thing. It does not even matter what his motives were, I don’t care. I never look at a gift and then demand the motive – that is a terrible thing to do. Whatever reason; whether self-interest, self-importance, arrogance or genuine charity the motive is utterly meaningless? Many evil actions start with good intentions and some good actions start with bad intentions. The actions are still the same either way.

I do not claim that Beck is some wonderful do gooder or even that he did this solely out of the kindness of his heart. The reality is that you and I have no idea what his motives are. I can no more divine that than I can divine the future. What I can do is look at what he is doing and simply acknowledge that it is a good thing and a generous one.

PS. Howdy Pogo :D

Last edited:
I don't trust Beck, so I decided to give my charity money to Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye. Tammy seems to have gone to that great Make Up Artist in the sky. I'm having trouble finding Jim.

Last edited:
I'm glad somebody brought up Shep Smith. I like Shep; he doesn't tolerate con artists either. With the rest of the Fox team jumping on the bandwagon, Shep was honest enough to point out the emperor's lack of clothing, with delicious sarcasm:

Shepard Smith Goofs on Glenn Beck! - YouTube

I've been watching Shep for awhile now, and what you were watching in that clip was not sarcasm but the way Shep has fun with everybody when he can step out of this anchor suit and just clown around and tease. Just as you take Beck's self-deprecating humor seriously, you were unable to see that Shep was having fun with Beck and Beck was enjoying it immensely and the two of them are friends.

But oh well.

I still think Beck did a good thing using his name and following to net a lot of donations for people hurting in Olklahoma and I choose to acknowledge and applaud that.

Even as haters are gonna hate.

Screen_shot_2013-05-21_at_3.29.10_PM.png

Glenn: “There are miracles on the horizon”

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM EDT

I believe this radio audience and this growing network has the most incredible listeners, readers, and viewers in the country, possibly the world. I don’t know how you measure this, but here we are a little group, a little group of people that are mocked and ridiculed, held out as hate mongers and everything else. We’re not a religious organization. We’re a group of people that actually believe in something, and to categorize our beliefs into something as shallow as politics is to grossly distort what is actually in plain view for thin to see.

I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who really do believe that the world can be a better place. All you have to do is care for one another. Love one another. We don’t have to agree with everybody. You don’t have to legislate or tax kindness or charity. In fact, you can’t legislature self into a place of love. What this audience and what this staff suggests is the world can be a better place if we just live our principles and our values.

Through Mercury One we were the first, if not the first on the scene for Hurricane Sandy. The stories we didn’t tell of the people who you fed, you clothed, you gave shelter, you gave water to is astounding. How you changed of Chris Kyle’s children and in 24 hours you stepped to the plate and offered what is going to be a million dollars, by the end of this hour will be a million dollars, a million dollars for disaster relief. I give you my word every dollar of that, every dollar of that will go to the people of Moore, Oklahoma. What media group can claim this? None. Not NBC, not ABC. How much money, honestly how much money do they raise when they do their hurricane relief funds and they have every band and they spend millions and millions of dollars?

Glenn: ?There are miracles on the horizon? ? Glenn Beck

Yes...and Beck isn't one of them. Hey dickhead, I already said that I'm glad he's doing this....or did you only read.the publicity.part?

I agree, it's not something to brag about...and you wouldn't know that I made those donations if it wasn't asked in this very thread.

BTW...if it's not something.to brag about.....why is it that Beck made the effort to let people know what he's doing? He could have done it anonymously....but he didn't, did he?

How utterly selfish, that childish prick.

I mean WOW, he tweeted every step of the way, building up the hype. Philanthropy is one thing but Beck wanted to make damn sure everyone knew what he was doing.

We all know that Beck is a carnival clown.

Who cares?

This is a good cause.

Beck calls himself a "rodeo clown."

Carry on...:eusa_angel:

Screen_shot_2013-05-21_at_3.29.10_PM.png

Glenn: “There are miracles on the horizon”

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM EDT

I believe this radio audience and this growing network has the most incredible listeners, readers, and viewers in the country, possibly the world. I don’t know how you measure this, but here we are a little group, a little group of people that are mocked and ridiculed, held out as hate mongers and everything else. We’re not a religious organization. We’re a group of people that actually believe in something, and to categorize our beliefs into something as shallow as politics is to grossly distort what is actually in plain view for thin to see.

I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who really do believe that the world can be a better place. All you have to do is care for one another. Love one another. We don’t have to agree with everybody. You don’t have to legislate or tax kindness or charity. In fact, you can’t legislature self into a place of love. What this audience and what this staff suggests is the world can be a better place if we just live our principles and our values.

Through Mercury One we were the first, if not the first on the scene for Hurricane Sandy. The stories we didn’t tell of the people who you fed, you clothed, you gave shelter, you gave water to is astounding. How you changed of Chris Kyle’s children and in 24 hours you stepped to the plate and offered what is going to be a million dollars, by the end of this hour will be a million dollars, a million dollars for disaster relief. I give you my word every dollar of that, every dollar of that will go to the people of Moore, Oklahoma. What media group can claim this? None. Not NBC, not ABC. How much money, honestly how much money do they raise when they do their hurricane relief funds and they have every band and they spend millions and millions of dollars?

Glenn: ?There are miracles on the horizon? ? Glenn Beck

it is astonishing the amount of funds and help he organized

and delivered with in hours of the storm

I'm glad somebody brought up Shep Smith. I like Shep; he doesn't tolerate con artists either. With the rest of the Fox team jumping on the bandwagon, Shep was honest enough to point out the emperor's lack of clothing, with delicious sarcasm:

Shepard Smith Goofs on Glenn Beck! - YouTube

I've been watching Shep for awhile now, and what you were watching in that clip was not sarcasm but the way Shep has fun with everybody when he can step out of this anchor suit and just clown around and tease. Just as you take Beck's self-deprecating humor seriously, you were unable to see that Shep was having fun with Beck and Beck was enjoying it immensely and the two of them are friends.

But oh well.

I still think Beck did a good thing using his name and following to net a lot of donations for people hurting in Olklahoma and I choose to acknowledge and applaud that.

Even as haters are gonna hate.

in the youtube beck says

no one is watching that was 2009

little did he know that the IRS was watching

waiting preparing to pounce on any conservative voice

Aside from the publicity generated, the time he took to do this one-off act of charity is in itself very philanthropic indeed.

Hopefully, to show it wasn't all just a publicity stunt, he'll continue the generosity and set up funds and donations to assist victims of disasters everywhere in the US and not just in the red, red state of OK.
Publicity with whom?

Who covered Beck's actions, at any level, that could've been a profit to his media operation?

C'mon....Now is the time to show off your media marketing chops....Dazzle us.

Beck tweeted to the world what he was doing every step of the way.

Beck covered Beck.
So those already following Beck knew what he was doing....How does that create any publicity?....How does that increase his audience?...How does he profit from that in any way?

Do you even know what you're blabbering about?

I cant stand Beck as a TV/Radio dude, but one has to admit, he does give allot. I say good on Beck. But his TV/Radio show still suck ass.

Forum List

Back