Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers

32 pages (so far), dedicated to a Talk-Show Host, showboating in a disaster area?

Wow... I mean... uhhhhh... just... wow...

Perhaps you missed some philosophy and principles mixed into all that? Some concepts about what is ego and what is appropriate? Some discussion of how people are and are not effective? As well as personal likes, dislikes, prejudices, judgmentalism, and perceptions? Some concepts of not applying equal judgment/standards to all but adjusting these according to our personal opinions and biases?

But haters gonna hate.

Last edited:
32 pages (so far), dedicated to a Talk-Show Host, showboating in a disaster area?

Wow... I mean... uhhhhh... just... wow...

Maybe by the end of the week America will be treated to the spectacle of Beck sitting around a campfire (with his admirers at his feet, of course) regaling the real Americans in attendance with vignettes from his storied life. Perhaps, if Beck feels sufficiently moved, he will bless the people in attendance. I mean with more than just his presence, of course. And roasted marshmallows for EVERYONE! No expense will be spared!!!

Last edited:
"...Perhaps you missed some philosophy and principles mixed into all that?..."
Yeah... that's me... Mister Shallow... :razz:

:) Pogo - here's an excellent example of self-deprecating humor. :)

The bottom line for me in this is whether somebody whose name and face is known to virtually everybody in the free world is 'showboating' if they use that to raise huge amounts of donations to help others. And if we decide that anybody blessed (or cursed) with fame is not 'showboating' when they use that to help others, then in my opinion, it is wrong to single Glenn Beck out for such criticism.

"...Perhaps you missed some philosophy and principles mixed into all that?..."

The bottom line for me in this is whether somebody whose name and face is known to virtually everybody in the free world is 'showboating' if they use that to raise huge amounts of donations to help others. And if we decide that anybody blessed (or cursed) with fame is not 'showboating' when they use that to help others, then in my opinion, it is wrong to single Glenn Beck out for such criticism.
Thanks for noticing the lightweight humor. As to the rest, I served-up my own thoughts on anonymity, modesty, photo-op avoidance, etc., quite a ways back in this thread, so I'll re-engage just long enough to opine that (a) your argument about showboating has some merit and (b) 32+ pages is waaaay to much energy expended over such matters... ;-)

Thanks for noticing the lightweight humor. As to the rest, I served-up my own thoughts on anonymity, modesty, photo-op avoidance, etc., quite a ways back in this thread, so I'll re-engage just long enough to opine that (a) your argument about showboating has some merit and (b) 32+ pages is waaaay to much energy expended over such matters... ;-)

Thanks. But I will gently disagree that too much energy is expended on any human effort that is intended to relieve pain and suffering. I would like it a great deal if there was a whole lot more focus on the good things that people do and a whole lot less nitpicking that demonizes, belittles, judges, and hates people for saying this word or expressing that thought or accusing people of terrible things based on the flimsiest of evidence or no evidence at all.

Thanks. But I will gently disagree that too much energy is expended on any human effort that is intended to relieve pain and suffering. I would like it a great deal if there was a whole lot more focus on the good things that people do and a whole lot less nitpicking that demonizes, belittles, judges, and hates people for saying this word or expressing that thought or accusing people of terrible things based on the flimsiest of evidence or no evidence at all.

Apparently you haven't seen as much Glenn Beck as I have. I envy that.
I notice you mention words and thoughts but not egomania. Interesting non-choice of words.

Kondor's a good fella; we've been on opposite sides on another thread but we're in accord here. I find him honest, and I respect that. He's apparently got the same egomaniac-radar as I and Mustang do. Well we can't all be so blessed, but those of us that are have a duty to let the rest of y'all unwashed know wassup :lol:

Yeah, 32 pages, and the last 15 have been mostly trying to get me to change my mind and join the Beck worship. :puke: My problem is I know too much.

I notice you mention words and thoughts but not egomania. Interesting non-choice of words.

Kondor's a good fella; we've been on opposite sides on another thread but we're in accord here. I find him honest, and I respect that. He's apparently got the same egomaniac-radar as I and Mustang do. Well we can't all be so blessed, but those of us that are have a duty to let the rest of y'all unwashed know wassup :lol:

Yeah, 32 pages, and the last 15 have been mostly trying to get me to change my mind and join the Beck worship. :puke: My problem is I know too much.

Strange. Your returning to repeat a defense for your argument over and over and over is not an effort to change anybody's mind.

But if others express a different point of view, it is for the explicit purpose of changing YOUR mind?

You don't see a tad bit of ego in that? :)

Strange. Your returning to repeat a defense for your argument over and over and over is not an effort to change anybody's mind.

But if others express a different point of view, it is for the explicit purpose of changing YOUR mind?

Sure there is. But then I'm not traipsing out to Oklahoma to post from there and making sure you all know it.

I've been on defense here, not offense. I'm just not an offensive guy. :eusa_whistle:

Sure there is. But then I'm not traipsing out to Oklahoma to post from there and making sure you all know it.

I've been on defense here, not offense. I'm just not an offensive guy. :eusa_whistle:

Why should you go to Oklahoma and post from there?
You don't have a popular Radio and TV channel and a 501(c) charity org. with people who want to know about where their donations are going and how it's being used.

LOL, okay. I'll agree that except in very narrow exceptions, you really aren't an offensive guy. :)

But then again, unless you are somebody famous whose name is a household word, you probably wouldn't be effective in attracting attention to get people to come up with millions in donations for a worthy cause. Because Glenn Beck is willing to do that and put himself out there, he IS able to generate a LOT of donations for a worthy cause.

You see that as eglomania.

I see it as a productive and compassionate use of the gifts one has been given.

So I guess well just have to agree to disagree.

Why should you go to Oklahoma and post from there?
You don't have a popular Radio and TV channel and a 501(c) charity org. with people who want to know about where their donations are going and how it's being used.

I sure don't, but if I did (or to whatever extent I do), I could certainly manage those donations without insisting my face be in front of a camera, or even going there. So you're quite correct, I don't need to go to Oklahoma to create a media circus. No one does.

Not unlike the Weather Channel sending people out to stand on a beach marveling at how the wind is blowing. It adds absolutely nothing.

LOL, okay. I'll agree that except in very narrow exceptions, you really aren't an offensive guy. :)

But then again, unless you are somebody famous whose name is a household word, you probably wouldn't be effective in attracting attention to get people to come up with millions in donations for a worthy cause. Because Glenn Beck is willing to do that and put himself out there, he IS able to generate a LOT of donations for a worthy cause.

You see that as eglomania.

I see it as a productive and compassionate use of the gifts one has been given.

So I guess well just have to agree to disagree.

Agreed. Although the phrase "willing to do that" strikes me much the same as "he hit my fist with his face".

As for Eglomania:
1. Eglomania
An Anglophile who has crossed the line beyond which a simple love for his language (english) has become an all consuming disregard for other languages (urpin' Dictionary)

Sacre merde, no we don't want that.

How would you show your donors how their money was spent?
How would you make sure that the supplies were being distributed right and not just used inappropriately or worse that it would just be tossed or sold at a high price?
This is why you should be there if you had a charitable organization.
Anyone who has a charitable organization should be there to run it, organize it make sure that the donations are being used well.

Last edited:
How would you show your donors how their money was spent? Issue reports.
How would you make sure that the supplies were being distributed right and not just used inappropriately or worse that it would just be tossed or sold at a high price? Delegate.
This is why you should be there if you had a charitable organization. See #2 above.
Anyone who has a charitable organization should be there to run it, organize it make sure that the donations are being used well. See #2 above

How would you make sure that the supplies were being distributed right and not just used inappropriately or worse that it would just be tossed or sold at a high price? Delegate.
This is why you should be there if you had a charitable organization. See #2 above.
Anyone who has a charitable organization should be there to run it, organize it make sure that the donations are being used well. See #2 above

He is not a principal in the charity. He has no power to delegate anything. And it is a new charity with a board/staff of three people. Two of them stayed behind to 'run things' and 'delegated' Glenn and the third board member to accompany the trucks to Oklahoma to be sure the stuff was properly delivered and distributed.

He is not a principal in the charity. He has no power to delegate anything. And it is a new charity with a board/staff of three people. Two of them stayed behind to 'run things' and 'delegated' Glenn and the third board member to accompany the trucks to Oklahoma to be sure the stuff was properly delivered and distributed.

Thanks Foxy. You've just demonstrated that he has even less reason to be there... leaving my reasoning alone... all alone :(

I'm putting your check in the mail right now. :tongue:

On the Ground: Stories of hope and inspiration in Oklahoma

5/23/13

On Tuesday, Glenn and a small crew from TheBlaze joined Mercury One volunteers on a mission to provide relief to the survivors in Oklahoma. Above are some of the amazing stories of hope and inspiration they found during their journey.

On the Ground: Stories of hope and inspiration in Oklahoma ? Glenn Beck

Daily Show creator Lizz Winstead apologizes for tweet saying Oklahoma tornado targeted Conservatives

5/21/13

In the latest case of comedians testing the boundaries of humour, comedian Lizz Winstead made a joke about the Oklahoma tornado Monday, suggesting that the natural disaster targeted Conservatives in the predonimantly right-wing state. It didn’t go over so well on Twitter. The tweet was deleted and Winstead is apologizing for the gaffe.

Lizz Winstead?s Oklahoma tornado joke: Daily Show creator apologizes | Scene | Arts | National Post

Thanks Foxy. You've just demonstrated that he has even less reason to be there... leaving my reasoning alone... all alone :(

I have demonstrated nothing of the kind. None of the three board/staff members with the Charity have any name recognition and Beck's fans probably wouldn't recognize any of their names--not even Mrs. Beck who is on the board of directors. And none of them would be able to generate the interest or be in any way compelling as Glenn can be to raise money to help tornado victims. It is Glenn Beck they all follow on Twitter. Not the others.

And again, unless you hold EVERYBODY to the same standard you hold Beck re using their position and/or fame to help out in a good cause, I have to believe you are coming from irrational prejudice and dislike of Glenn Beck.

But by all means send the check but not to me. Send it to the Mercury One charity and designate it for tornado relief. You can find the address on Glenn's website.

I have demonstrated nothing of the kind. None of the three board/staff members with the Charity have any name recognition and Beck's fans probably wouldn't recognize any of their names--not even Mrs. Beck who is on the board of directors. And none of them would be able to generate the interest or be in any way compelling as Glenn can be to raise money to help tornado victims. It is Glenn Beck they all follow on Twitter. Not the others.

And again, unless you hold EVERYBODY to the same standard you hold Beck re using their position and/or fame to help out in a good cause, I have to believe you are coming from irrational prejudice and dislike of Glenn Beck.

But by all means send the check but not to me. Send it to the Mercury One charity and designate it for tornado relief. You can find the address on Glenn's website.

Trust me, Mercury One, or anything remotely associated with that charlatan, would be the last place I would ever put my money. I'd put more faith in the next e-mail I get from Nigeria looking for my bank account.

You know, you might have a point with the name recognition angle -- if the tornado had been an obscure event nobody knew about. I believe when an event is Bigger Than Beck, that's what gets his attention. Especially if he can find an angle like this one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back