Gluten Free

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Does anyone have any experience with Gluten Free stuff/people?
Just serve steak...

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Just serve steak...

Or my infamous Mexican chili. :D

There's all kinds of veggie/rice/stew dishes you can do that have no gluten. Unless you're looking for a bowl of cereal it's not that hard.

Just serve steak...

There's all kinds of veggie/rice/stew dishes you can do that have no gluten. Unless you're looking for a bowl of cereal it's not that hard.
They are all fine in my book...

Just serve steak...

Book? Eh, I usually use a plate.

Just serve steak...

Book? Eh, I usually use a plate.
You were never a college student while working?

Well hopefully yes, because from what we've read it seems Gluten Free people can't actually eat anything, unless it's their own special stuff.

Come up with one meal like chicken and rice and then take them shopping with you. "Wasn't sure what you guys might want to try out why you are here." I, however, would just be crass because that is who I am, "Here's you a sprite and a rice cake. If you want anything else, you will have to tell me what the heck you freaks eat."

They're from scotland. Just deep fry everything and no pasta and bread and they'll be fine.

On a serious note I've been gluten free for months after finding it makes me feel loads healthier. I use chickpea flour also called gram flour for most things other than bread as it doesn't work. Steak and potatoes wis also just dandy.

So you can eat steak and potatoes in normal fashion?

No flour in gravy and its all good.

Try this website of gluten free recipies
Gluten-Free Main Dish Recipes

Mr. Lucy and I went to large grocery store this morning, this is because we found out from their website they have wide array of Gluten Free foods, so we now have an option to Mr. Lucy spending inordinate amount of time in kitchen doing two completely different types of foods.

Just serve steak...

They're now vegetarian, I found this out this afternoon, I'm sure they never used to be vegetarian.

Try this website of gluten free recipies
Gluten-Free Main Dish Recipes

Okay I'll bookmark that thanks.

Just serve steak...

They're now vegetarian, I found this out this afternoon, I'm sure they never used to be vegetarian.
Just serve cheese dip...

Just serve steak...

Just serve cheese dip...

:lol:

They're arriving tomorrow morning, so we'll just take them to the large grocery story and they can choose what they want, enough for two days.

Mr. Lucy and I went to large grocery store this morning, this is because we found out from their website they have wide array of Gluten Free foods, so we now have an option to Mr. Lucy spending inordinate amount of time in kitchen doing two completely different types of foods.

There's no reason you need to prepare two different types of foods. It's not like humans NEED gluten.
Just make enough GF for everybody --- done.

You've prolly made a number of GF meals over the years, just by chance.

Here's another one I do (mentioned chili above) that would also be vegetarian -- cook up some basmati rice.... while it's cooking slice up some zucchini, carrot, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, tomato. You can sautee them like the restaurant where I used to order it, or I like to steam them. Then put it all together in a baking dish topped with mozarella and feta cheese and bake for about 15 minutes.

I don't make that because it's gluten-free; I make it because it's délicieux.

There's no reason you need to prepare two different types of foods. It's not like humans NEED gluten.
Just make enough GF for everybody --- done.

You've prolly made a number of GF meals over the years, just by chance.

Here's another one I do (mentioned chili above) that would also be vegetarian -- cook up some basmati rice.... while it's cooking slice up some zucchini, carrot, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, tomato. You can sautee them like the restaurant where I used to order it, or I like to steam them. Then put it all together in a baking dish topped with mozarella and feta cheese and bake for about 15 minutes.

I don't make that because it's gluten-free; I make it because it's délicieux.

Okay, I've hired you as Menu Planner now :smile:

I have a good friend who has trouble with gluten foodstuffs. She, being a grown up, is able to articulate what she can and cannot eat. Hopefully your friend is of similar character.

Well hopefully yes, because from what we've read it seems Gluten Free people can't actually eat anything, unless it's their own special stuff.

It's not that complicated, really. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley (and triticale if you have that in Europa). Just avoid those grains, and you're on your way. Rice is a common substitute, especially for making breads, cakes and pastas. Potato flour too.

You will have to read ingredient labels for unlikely sources, like soy sauce.
Rice does not contain gluten, however rice does contain a protein that cross-reacts with gluten antibodies. Therefore people with gluten sensitivity do not tolerate rice very well.

That's what I appreciate about my paleo diet. Damned little gluten in meat and cruciferous veggies.

What is a paleo diet? I've never heard of this.
Basically it's a restrictive fad diet that people supposedly adhered to in the paleolithic era. A hunter-gatherer diet so to speak. No grains, no dairy and no heavily processed foods.

I have a good friend who has trouble with gluten foodstuffs. She, being a grown up, is able to articulate what she can and cannot eat. Hopefully your friend is of similar character.

It's not that complicated, really. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley (and triticale if you have that in Europa). Just avoid those grains, and you're on your way. Rice is a common substitute, especially for making breads, cakes and pastas. Potato flour too.

Rice does not contain gluten, however rice does contain a protein that cross-reacts with gluten antibodies. Therefore people with gluten sensitivity do not tolerate rice very well.

Never heard that before :dunno:
But then I wouldn't have been told that by my doctor since I'm not gluten-intolerant AFAIK. I dabble in it because the GF label on foods is an easy way to avoid wheat, which is my objective. So it depends on what the eater's reasoning is for going gluten-free. Not sure if the OP knows that reason in this case...

Anyway GF is a convenient label in that it guarantees the food involved won't have wheat, just as the "organic" label on a tomato guarantees it isn't Frankenfooded (GM). Same thing -- I'll buy an organic tomato not specifically because it's organic, but because I know Monsanto didn't get to fuck with it (or an heirloom tomato for the same reason).

Never heard that before :dunno:
But then I wouldn't have been told that by my doctor since I'm not gluten-intolerant AFAIK. I dabble in it because the GF label on foods is an easy way to avoid wheat, which is my objective. So it depends on what the eater's reasoning is for going gluten-free. Not sure if the OP knows that reason in this case...

Anyway GF is a convenient label in that it guarantees the food involved won't have wheat, just as the "organic" label on a tomato guarantees it isn't Frankenfooded (GM). Same thing -- I'll buy an organic tomato not specifically because it's organic, but because I know Monsanto didn't get to fuck with it (or an heirloom tomato for the same reason).
Here's a tip for avoiding wheat:

Since some people have a very severe allergic reaction to wheat, under federal food lableing laws any food product that contains wheat must say so in bold capital lettering just below the ingredients list.

CONTAINS WHEAT

Same thing with some other allergens such as soy, eggs, milk and peanuts.

Forum List

Back