GM is doing AWESOME

I don't feel the need to brag about my income, wealth or lifestyle.

And the shareholders of GM are only doing "well", if you can call it that, because the government abused its power and voided the contractual rights of bondholders. That's organized theft, imo.

Picking winners and losers.

What about my friends who went down in flames because they were not so big ?

They don't begrudge their bad luck. They just wonder how the words "justice" or "fairness" can ever come from Obama's lips.

You're reading comprehension is sorely lacking.

My points demonstrate that GM is inflating REVENUE, which is a fundamental metric of a business.

Their decision to loosen up credit to more historic levels is not inflating revenue. It's returning toward normalcy. Will it sell more cars? Probably.

I call Shenanigans. Please provide proof that increasing Subprime Auto Loans is loosening up credit to more historic levels...and no fair including only the 2000s.

You can call it whatever you want. If GM loses money for easing credit, that's their problem. They're still selling quite a few cars.

Not sure, since the standard for credit has become almost impossible for many otherwise credit worthy folks. In any case, I think it's a good call for GM, since their sales have gone through the roof, and their new product line kicked Ford's ass. A couple of years back, I broke down on a trip, and picked up a cheap rental, while my car was being repaired. The Ford Focus is about the suckiest car I've ever driven.

I still am a bit pissed off at GM though, for dropping their Saturn line. Really well built cars.

Iw was the whole housing crises. The ones where banks were forced to loan to people who couldnt pay. Then when they did loan, liberals called them predatory...because their credit sucked, they jacked up the rates....no shit....so here we go again, in the auto industry!

Not sure, since the standard for credit has become almost impossible for many otherwise credit worthy folks. In any case, I think it's a good call for GM, since their sales have gone through the roof, and their new product line kicked Ford's ass. A couple of years back, I broke down on a trip, and picked up a cheap rental, while my car was being repaired. The Ford Focus is about the suckiest car I've ever driven.

I still am a bit pissed off at GM though, for dropping their Saturn line. Really well built cars.

Iw was the whole housing crises. The ones where banks were forced to loan to people who couldnt pay. Then when they did loan, liberals called them predatory...because their credit sucked, they jacked up the rates....no shit....so here we go again, in the auto industry!

Yep, Wall Street forced banks to make high risk loans thinking they could bundle them with low risk loans, and could still make the securities good through foreclosure. Hell, Bush even pushed the idea. Remember this:

Home Ownership and President Bush - YouTube

I'm proud to pay my taxes and help the country and our downtrodden under Pub voodoo and depression. The dupes have 3 talking points, stupid insults, and hate.

Last edited:
It wasn’t a government takeover; it was a bankruptcy reorganization. The General Motors (GM) Chapter 11 case was filed at the height of the economic recession; and there were no banks or other commercial lenders that could provide the DIP (Debtor in Possession) financing necessary to continue business operations during the reorganization proceedings; and without the government assistance (and that of Canada as well) GM would have been DOA (dead on arrival) on the first day, forcing the liquidation of the company, and loss of thousands of jobs as happened in the Circuit City bankruptcy that cost over 35,000 jobs. The liquidation of GM would in turn precipitate the failure of hundreds of related industry manufacturers and suppliers resulting in a flood of business bankruptcy cases across the country, and loss of millions of jobs. And, as it turned out, the reorganization was a success; witness the profitability of the company today.

So a poor business plan would have resulted in the ending of that company you say? And you are trying to tell us that shouldn't have happened?

I don't care if GM is doing fucking fantastic today, If I were given billions I'd be making shit tons of money off it, it's easy. Where is my billion dollar bail out so I can be doing fantastic?

It seems you support open corruption.

I'm proud to pay my taxes and help the country and our downtrodden under Pub voodoo and depression. The dupes have 3 talking points, stupid insults, and hate.

The depression happened when Dems took office... damn libradups... Liberderps hate the middle class, and poor people, and non whites....

Prove me wrong.

See how stupid you sound? BTW, are you TM's sockpupet?

And for the record, the next ten posters, no matter if far right or far left would know the 3 talking points that make up literally every single post you make fanhasHPV.

Last edited:

No one forced the banks to make the bad loans; they did it on their own with a little help from Congress. What really happened was that there was a failure of the government to exercise proper regulatory control over mortgage banking and securities. Between 2004 and 2006, banks and mortgage lenders made millions of high-risk, subprime loans (i.e., 100% "piggyback" loans with adjustable interest rates "ARMs", etc.) to borrowers that were unqualified for conventional financing and without due-diligence requirements for collateralization on the assumption that the real estate market could only go up and no one could lose. These loans were then packaged and sold as debt securities on the financial markets worldwide.

Then, predictably, things took a downturn. The interest rates on these loans went up, and borrowers started defaulting on their loans, precipitating a rash of foreclosures across the country. By August 2007, Countrywide Home Loans, the largest mortgage lender on the planet, was on the verge of bankruptcy; but was bought out by Bank of America in an effort to prevent its own equity position in the company from being extinguished. (Not a good move as it turned out, for in taking over Countrywide, it had to assume a large portfolio of very bad loans.) The disintegration, however, continued with millions of defaults followed by foreclosures as real estate values plummeted. This in turn precipitated bank failures, including Indymac Bank (the largest since the crash of 1929), which was followed by the collapse of some of the biggest investment firms like Bear Sterns, Morgan Stanley, and Lehman Brothers (the biggest bankruptcy in history), the federal "conservatorship" of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and finally the outright takeover of AIG. It had a cascading effect necessitating a government bailout with taxpayer funds just to stabilize the financial markets and prevent widespread, systemic economic chaos.

It was the fault of deregulation. The FDIC, FSLIC, HUD and FTC failed in regulating the banks and mortgage lenders, and the SEC had failed to exercise proper oversight of the sale of mortgage-backed securities. (Even Alan Greenspan was forced to admit that he was wrong in thinking that the market could be left to its own devices.) And, it will happen again because the Congress lacks the political will to establish regulatory control over financial markets. Dodd-Frank - which the banking lobby is working night and day to have repealed - is not the answer. Regulation must be measured, but effective; and not so heavy-handed as to stifle economic growth. To work, there must at least be a level playing field, which requires more transparency that will promote value over speculation. And, there has to be accountability; if there are no penalties for failure - if executives are rewarded for running their companies aground - there is no incentive to exercise restraint over irresponsible action.

Their decision to loosen up credit to more historic levels is not inflating revenue. It's returning toward normalcy. Will it sell more cars? Probably.

I call Shenanigans. Please provide proof that increasing Subprime Auto Loans is loosening up credit to more historic levels...and no fair including only the 2000s.

You can call it whatever you want. If GM loses money for easing credit, that's their problem. They're still selling quite a few cars.

Wrong-o, boy-o.

GM still owes taxpayers TARP repayments, and we are also on the hook for GM stock. For taxpayers to breakeven, the price would have to be $53/share; it's currently less than $20. And then there is the little bit about the Obama administration allowing GM to keep $45B in tax loss carry forwards, which would have been lost in a bankruptcy proceeding. This means GM will be able to avoid taxes by using these write-offs. We'll be paying and paying and paying for GM for years - so their subprime loans are our problem.

Last edited:

Yep, Wall Street forced banks to make high risk loans thinking they could bundle them with low risk loans, and could still make the securities good through foreclosure. Hell, Bush even pushed the idea. Remember this:

Home Ownership and President Bush - YouTube

Yeah, and he was following this policy
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWOPDN5Va0"]1998: Sec. Andrew Cuomo Defends Affirmative Action Mortgage Policy - YouTube[/ame]

I called it affirmative action (and called racist for it.....suprise suprise) and the architect did too (I guess Cuomo is racist as well?).....and he knew people couldnt afford it.....unbelievable....and Bush did alot of things I ddint like.....and I'm not a huge fan of Romney, but he's still better than Obama...I'm not a crazy yes man to my Presidents and candidates, like others on here

Retired teacher... ah that explains alot....force those dues to kepp the old biddies teaching, and get rid of the younger ones that might actually do something.....why do unions hate meritocracy?

No one forced the banks to make the bad loans;

Totally wrong, shit-for-brains. I stopped reading right there because there's no point in continuing when the first sentence is such a colossal lie.

No one forced the banks to make the bad loans;

Totally wrong, shit-for-brains. I stopped reading right there because there's no point in continuing when the first sentence is such a colossal lie.

These fucking idiots will say anything at all. It gets rather old.

Wrong-o, boy-o.

GM still owes taxpayers TARP repayments, and we are also on the hook for GM stock. For taxpayers to breakeven, the price would have to be $53/share; it's currently less than $20. And then there is the little bit about the Obama administration allowing GM to keep $45B in tax loss carry forwards, which would have been lost in a bankruptcy proceeding. This means GM will be able to avoid taxes by using these write-offs. We'll be paying and paying and paying for GM for years - so their subprime loans are our problem.

It is so good to have someone on who knows the "rest of the story" and can articulate it as well. I have heard it all, but could not put it into syntax in the expert way you have.

Welcome back, boedicca. Threads are more informative when you are here. :eusa_clap:

Thank you, hun. I do find that where ever I happen to be is much improved by my sparkling wit, discerning perception, and impeccable taste, even if I do say so myself.

;)

Forum List

Back