Good books for guys?

Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land was the most overrated piece of horse shit I've ever read.

It wasn't his best but took off popularly for whatever reason, mostly timing.

Check out his short story called "By His Bootstraps". It was so good I remember the title.

This is the thread to confess that i read the hunger games.

giphy.gif

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!
potter is a third rate wizard.....
You say that just to be mean.
nope,when i was his age i was able to turn people into frogs with just one word....

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!
potter is a third rate wizard.....
You say that just to be mean.
He is actually being very kind to young master potter.

You are in maine, right. Then of course a myriad of Stephen king stories apply. Just tell them they are based on a real event.
Yes, just learned he writes short stories. If my students haven't read everything by him, that's a great idea. I can't read horror--it keeps me awake, for real. I've never read him or seen any of his movies.

You are in maine, right. Then of course a myriad of Stephen king stories apply. Just tell them they are based on a real event.
Yes, just learned he writes short stories. If my students haven't read everything by him, that's a great idea. I can't read horror--it keeps me awake, for real. I've never read him or seen any of his movies.
Forget the movies. But the books, wow, among the early works.. real gems. If your guys like cars, CHRISTINE

I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

Ray Bradbury... Philip K. Dick... Stephen King...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?
Good call on Bradbury. I had forgotten him.
I really liked Herbert, too. Started with the Dunes and then read his other stuff. He was good. Maybe not exciting, enough, though, for the guys.
Dune is too philosophical, religious even. It gets worse and worse and it is slow to begin with.

They need fast food. Jokes, adventure stories, action. Literary worth has zero importance at this stage.
You're absolutely right, Eder. That's why I'm asking you. I find it hard to read something without some literary worth .
Yet you queue for Harry Potter???

Forum List

Back