🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

GOP left Obama no choice but to act on immigration

Is it asking too much to enforce existing immigration laws? :dunno:

He is! More deportation than his predecessors as everyone knows. Thus, you're a liar or have been brainwashed by the Right Wing Media.

Oh really? I think you need to get up to speed.

Complicating the situation is a new set of data released last week by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, showing that the Obama administration has deeply curtailed efforts to deport minors or turn them away at the border.

In 2008, the last year of the Bush administration, 8,143 such children were prevented from staying in the U.S. In 2013 that number was just 1,669.

White House begs Congress to allow fast-track deportation of illegal immigrant children | Mail Online

The Obama Administration's 2 Million Deportations, Explained

What exactly do we mean when we say "deportations"?

How do Obama's numbers compare to those of previous administrations?

Who is being deported?

So what are immigrants rights advocates most upset about?

The Obama Administration's 2 Million Deportations, Explained | Mother Jones

Everyone already here gets to stay. Everyone that makes it past the border patrol, gets to stay. Everyone caught and give a court date to appear gets lost and never appear in court. Children are not deported therefore their parents are not deported.

Last edited:
Illegal Workers Swept From Jobs in ‘Silent Raids’

Employers say the audits reach more companies than the work-site roundups of the administration of President George W. Bush. The audits force businesses to fire every suspected illegal immigrant on the payroll— not just those who happened to be on duty at the time of a raid — and make it much harder to hire other unauthorized workers as replacements. Auditing is “a far more effective enforcement tool,” said Mike Gempler, executive director of the Washington Growers League, which includes many worried fruit growers.

In another shift, the immigration agency has moved away from bringing criminal charges against immigrant workers who lack legal status but have otherwise clean records.

Republican lawmakers say Mr. Obama is talking tough, but in practice is lightening up.

“Even if discovered, illegal aliens are allowed to walk free and seek employment elsewhere” said Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, the senior Republican on the Judiciary Committee. “This lax approach is particularly troubling,” he said, “at a time when so many American citizens are struggling to find jobs.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/us/10enforce.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited:

What conservatives don't realize is that by refusing to cooperate on legislation, and negotiating, just saying no allows Obama to use an executive order that results in a MUCH more Liberal-leaning outcome than if the Republicans had worked out a compromise.

So Republicans are helping to get more Liberal laws on the books!

So what are Boehners options?

1. Start doing his job
2. Admit that Republicans will do everything possible to block immigration reform
3. Act offended and threaten to sue because mean old Obama won't let you gridlock government

Opinion: GOP left Obama no choice on immigration - CNN.com

This week, the country witnessed one of the most irresponsible acts that we have seen from this Republican Congress, since they deliberately shut down the government less than a year ago. Republican House Speaker John Boehner informed President Barack Obama that he would not bring a vote on immigration reform to the floor this year.

Whatever excuse Speaker Boehner has for abdicating his responsibility as a national leader, it is not good enough, and he has now given the President ample excuse to act on his own. Which he is now doing. Maria Cardona Maria Cardona

Since Republicans in Congress refuse to do their job and allow a vote on comprehensive immigration reform this year, Obama, on behalf of the American people, is acting on his own to address this important issue -- for the well-being of our country, our economy and the immigrant community that has contributed so much to our economic growth and prosperity and is suffering greatly from a badly broken system.

Just because the Rs refuse to do their job, it does not follow that the president should as well. If the Rs don't like the president's actions, they have a funny way of showing it.

Really, there's just no excuse for their all out attack on the US govt.

This is true my friend. Can't remember where I heard it before but "elections mean things" ;) & Barack won a 2nd-term & the Dems held onto the Senate AGAIN. The Senate produced a bipartisan bill but Boehner (R) refuses to even bring it up for a vote. We know why that is, :up: because it could pass :eusa_whistle: & the Republicans can't allow the President that :eek:

Opinion: GOP left Obama no choice on immigration - CNN.com

This week, the country witnessed one of the most irresponsible acts that we have seen from this Republican Congress, since they deliberately shut down the government less than a year ago. Republican House Speaker John Boehner informed President Barack Obama that he would not bring a vote on immigration reform to the floor this year.

Whatever excuse Speaker Boehner has for abdicating his responsibility as a national leader, it is not good enough, and he has now given the President ample excuse to act on his own. Which he is now doing. Maria Cardona Maria Cardona

Since Republicans in Congress refuse to do their job and allow a vote on comprehensive immigration reform this year, Obama, on behalf of the American people, is acting on his own to address this important issue -- for the well-being of our country, our economy and the immigrant community that has contributed so much to our economic growth and prosperity and is suffering greatly from a badly broken system.

Just because the Rs refuse to do their job, it does not follow that the president should as well. If the Rs don't like the president's actions, they have a funny way of showing it.

Really, there's just no excuse for their all out attack on the US govt.

This is true my friend. Can't remember where I heard it before but "elections mean things" ;) & Barack won a 2nd-term & the Dems held onto the Senate AGAIN. The Senate produced a bipartisan bill but Boehner (R) refuses to even bring it up for a vote. We know why that is, :up: because it could pass :eusa_whistle: & the Republicans can't allow the President that :eek:

Ah, you don't understand how bills proceed through Congress, Dottie. They start in the House and then go to the Senate.

The reason that Boehner refuses to bring the Senate version to a vote is that Republicans have ZERO faith that Barack Obama will adhere to what's in legislation that they pass...a view that is supported by Barry's actions. The "all out attack on the US government" is being conducted by the President...not the GOP led House.

We've reached a point where the President is simply making up the law as he feels is appropriate...ignoring parts of legislation he doesn't like...enforcing the parts that he does or adding to those parts.

That isn't the way our government functions as the Supreme Court has made clear.

We've reached a point where the President is simply making up the law as he feels is appropriate...ignoring parts of legislation he doesn't like...enforcing the parts that he does or adding to those parts.

That isn't the way our government functions as the Supreme Court has made clear.

In the absence of a functioning Congress he has no choice

If Boehner doesn't like it, he is welcome to pass immigration reform legislation. What is he waiting for? The Senate Bill is on his desk

If Boehner doesn't like it, he is welcome to pass immigration reform legislation. What is he waiting for? The Senate Bill is on his desk

The President does not have the authority to bypass Congress simply because Congress won't give him what he wants. This notion that he does is total delusion on the part of his supporters and he will get slapped down by the Supreme Court ONCE AGAIN if he keeps ignoring the Constitution.

You're witnessing a complete breakdown of our system because this President has so polarized the process that it doesn't work anymore. The President of the United States isn't just the leader of HIS party...he's the leader of the country...a fact that Barack Obama seems to have totally forgotten the moment he stepped inside of the Oval Office. It's his JOB to build political coalitions to move the country forward...a job that Obama has been incredibly bad at. He came into office telling the GOP that "elections have consequences...I won!" and ramming through ObamaCare despite widespread public resistance. Then when the public sent him a loud and clear message that they were unhappy with the direction that he, Pelosi and Reid were taking the country, his message to the GOP was that "elections DON'T have consequences...I'm going to use Executive Orders to get what I want." Then he flies around the country complaining from podium after podium that the Republicans won't work with him? Are you serious?

The President does not have the authority to bypass Congress simply because Congress won't give him what he wants. This notion that he does is total delusion on the part of his supporters and he will get slapped down by the Supreme Court ONCE AGAIN if he keeps ignoring the Constitution.

You're witnessing a complete breakdown of our system because this President has so polarized the process that it doesn't work anymore. The President of the United States isn't just the leader of HIS party...he's the leader of the country...a fact that Barack Obama seems to have totally forgotten the moment he stepped inside of the Oval Office. It's his JOB to build political coalitions to move the country forward...a job that Obama has been incredibly bad at. He came into office telling the GOP that "elections have consequences...I won!" and ramming through ObamaCare despite widespread public resistance. Then when the public sent him a loud and clear message that they were unhappy with the direction that he, Pelosi and Reid were taking the country, his message to the GOP was that "elections DON'T have consequences...I'm going to use Executive Orders to get what I want." Then he flies around the country complaining from podium after podium that the Republicans won't work with him? Are you serious?

As leader of the Executive Branch, Obama is empowered to execute the laws of the land. Executive orders have been used by every President since Washington. If Boehner is not happy, he can pass legislation to that effect

In the absence of a functioning Congress, the President is within his rights to execute laws as he sees fit. If Boehner wants to call in the Supreme Court ....let him

In the mean time....keep those Executive Orders coming

As leader of the Executive Branch, Obama is empowered to execute the laws of the land. Executive orders have been used by every President since Washington. If Boehner is not happy, he can pass legislation to that effect

In the absence of a functioning Congress, the President is within his rights to execute laws as he sees fit. If Boehner wants to call in the Supreme Court ....let him

So let me see if I understand how this works in "Winger Land"...

The President can declare that the Congress is "non-functional" simply because they won't do what he wants them to do...and that gives him the Constitutional authority to "execute laws as he sees fit"? And you REALLY believe that's the way our Founding Fathers crafted our government structure?

What you're describing, Winger is the way that government functions in Banana Republics where if the President doesn't like something in the law he simply overrules it. The United States has NEVER functioned that way which is why we don't have dictators.

The President can declare that the Congress is "non-functional" simply because they won't do what he wants them to do...and that gives him the Constitutional authority to "execute laws as he sees fit"? And you REALLY believe that's the way our Founding Fathers crafted our government structure?

Republicans in Congress are using all their available power to obstruct legislation
Obama is using all of his available power to bypass Republican obstruction

Looks like a power struggle to me

Republicans in Congress are using all their available power to obstruct legislation

The President does not have Constitutional authority to "bypass" Congress and write laws himself. He takes an oath to support the Constitution...this President has broken that oath.

The problem comes in when one party exceeds the Constitutional limits on their power. The system was specifically designed to work this way, with equal branches of the government with specific authority in certain areas.

What conservatives don't realize is that by refusing to cooperate on legislation, and negotiating, just saying no allows Obama to use an executive order that results in a MUCH more Liberal-leaning outcome than if the Republicans had worked out a compromise.

So Republicans are helping to get more Liberal laws on the books!

What Synthia cannot fathom is that the illegal Obumbler EO's will never have the force of law.

And when Congress refuses to act on some requested bit of legislation, that IS a decision that they are making. And they -- not dumbass Obumbler -- are the ones entitled to MAKE such decisions.

Dumbass smarmy lolberals cannot accept the fact that their premises are false and stand rejected.

Barack Obama is essentially giving the Constitution and the Congress, "the finger". He knows that what he's doing is unconstitutional and that if and when it does go to the Supreme Court that the Justices will rule that Executive Orders do not authorize the President to ignore the Congress but Barry doesn't care.

As long as obummer doesn't negotiate with congress he will ink his EO's.
Negotiating is something good presidents learn to do...aka Clinton, Reagan, etc.

The President does not have Constitutional authority to "bypass" Congress and write laws himself. He takes an oath to support the Constitution...this President has broken that oath.

He is not bypassing Congress

As soon as Boehner passes his immigration bill it will supercede any Obama Executive order

Boehner should have something in like five to ten years

Forum List

Back