Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ‘Buy American’ Bill

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
This is the guy who many of the Neo-Cons on here wanted to see become POTUS.

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.

The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.

This is the guy who many on here consider a REAL CONSERVATIVE.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry Vetoes ?Buy American? Bill

Texas Governor Rick Perry vetoed House Bill 535, commonly referred to as the “Buy Texan, Buy American” bill, after it was approved by the Texas House unanimously.

The bill also passed the Texas Senate by a vote of 23 to 7, making Perry’s potential veto the only big stopping force for the bill not becoming law.

A real conservative? That last time I checked, he couldn't remember the name of the EPA. Why would you think that? Or are you liberals simply prone to stereotypes?

So he vetoed a bill that would 'force' people to buy certain products.

That's is conservatism. If he had signed it, it would have been tyranny

Key part of the article

like Texas ARL-CIO President Becky Moeller

hmmmmmmm...which is really AFL-CIO......even more interesting......

I used to be a huge buy American fan, until I found out it was just a code word for supporting unions. Fuck them, I hate, hate unions.

This is just a sham to prop up unions, they cant compete and it's their own fault, sucks to be you!!!

It's funny how liberals dont worry about China buying up all of our debt though.....naaaaaaaah, we need all those bs goverment programs.

Last edited:
Key part of the article

I used to be a huge buy American fan, until I found out it was just a code word for supporting unions. Fuck them, I hate, hate unions.

This is just a sham to prop up unions, they cant compete and it's their own fault, sucks to be you!!!

It's funny how liberals dont worry about China buying up all of our debt though.....naaaaaaaah, we need all those bs goverment programs.

Hey fuckface, in case you didn't notice this bill was supported UNANIMOUSLY by the GOP controlled Texas house in probably the most red state in the union.

And since you know so little about unions let me explain something to you. Organized labor only makes up about 6% of private sector employment.

I happen to think that American workers (union or not) are the best in the world.

So fuck you and your "I hate American workers" attitude.

Key part of the article

Hey fuckface, in case you didn't notice this bill was supported UNANIMOUSLY by the GOP controlled Texas house in probably the most red state in the union.

And since you know so little about unions let me explain something to you. Organized labor only makes up about 6% of private sector employment.

I happen to think that American workers (union or not) are the best in the world.

Hey dipshit, I dont hate American workers, but let me guess you're a big supporter of unions?

And unions loved this bill, why would Richard Trumpka get involved?

This was bullshit dude, lets see the specifics of it.....this whole rah rah crap that you guys tried to pull with the buy American thing back in the 80s/90s was to buy products from unions, because without patriotism, they couldnt compete.

I worked in a factory, Honda in Marysville, Ohio and Sunburry Components in Sunburry, Ohio and saw how things ran and worked. And unions are awful.

Key part of the article

Fuck you and your attitude altogether.

Why must everything be sponsored by unions? It's a good thing he vetoed it then.

Perry was right to veto the bill, it was just another attempt to force people to buy overpriced goods so union members can continue to make excessive salaries for doing jobs you could train a monkey to do.

What the hell makes any of you think this is a UNION bill? Just because a union leader comes out in support of it? So what?

This is a bill that gives preferences to goods made 1) in Texas and 2) in America as long as it is of the same quality and cost of foreign made goods. (By the way. Japan and China have unions too.)

And when only 6% of the American private workforce is unionized (most likely less in Texas) it's highly unlikely that it will hardly benefit any union members.

So the bottom line is that you morons want to shoot yourselves in the foot and continue to despise American workers.

Bottom line? You think ALL American workers suck and I think they're the best in the world, union or not.

Perry was right to veto the bill, it was just another attempt to force people to buy overpriced goods so union members can continue to make excessive salaries for doing jobs you could train a monkey to do.

Nobody was forcing anybody to buy anything. It was only to give preference to goods that was the same cost and quality.

Moron.

Key part of the article

Why must everything be sponsored by unions? It's a good thing he vetoed it then.

What was sponsored by the unions? Please explain. I'll be waiting.....

Key part of the article

Hey dipshit, I dont hate American workers, but let me guess you're a big supporter of unions?

(Yes you do hate American workers. You made that clear.)

And unions loved this bill, why would Richard Trumpka get involved?

(And so did EVERY Texas GOP Representative. So what's your point?)

This was bullshit dude, lets see the specifics of it.....this whole rah rah crap that you guys tried to pull with the buy American thing back in the 80s/90s was to buy products from unions, because without patriotism, they couldnt compete.

(You obviously know nothing about unions and this bill has nothing to do with them anyhow. Only American workers that you obviously hate.)

I worked in a factory, Honda in Marysville, Ohio and Sunburry Components in Sunburry, Ohio and saw how things ran and worked. And unions are awful.

See? I knew you were clueless. :eusa_whistle:

Key part of the article

It's also a code word for imposing big tax increases on consumers.

You union bashers are so fucking stupid.

And yet no doubt most of you think yourselves patriots, too, right?

Idiots.

You union bashers are so fucking stupid.

And yet no doubt most of you think yourselves patriots, too, right?

Idiots.

I know, right? :cuckoo:

These so called "patriots" bash anything that benefits American workers. They think that American workers are lazy good-for-nothing fuck offs.

Some patriotism. :eusa_whistle:

Let me tell you, there are 3 reasons Rick didn't want to sign this bill:

1 It forces them to give preference to Texas manufacturers.

2 There is already a similar bill on the books.

and. aww, hmmm, ooow....ahhhh...hmmmn....aaaa..awwwww... let's see -- I can't. The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops

No. It would not force anyone to do anything. This was a matter of state purchases. The government should be doing EXACTLY this – giving large bias to local producers for state purchases. Hell, the consumer should do that as well BUT nothing should force him to. The state on the other hand should be forced to give American products preference when looking to make purchases.

There is this though:
Current law already requires agencies to give preferences to goods produced and grown in Texas. While I support and encourage our agencies to buy goods from Texas businesses, this bill simply does not change current law
This, if true, makes the law nothing but a publicity stunt and vetoing it would not be necessarily wrong though I can’t fathom why he would do so. If not true then he was wrong in vetoing the law.

What was sponsored by the unions? Please explain. I'll be waiting.....

"Fuck you and your 'I hate American workers' attitude"?

No. It would not force anyone to do anything. This was a matter of state purchases. The government should be doing EXACTLY this – giving large bias to local producers for state purchases. Hell, the consumer should do that as well BUT nothing should force him to. The state on the other hand should be forced to give American products preference when looking to make purchases.

There is this though:
Current law already requires agencies to give preferences to goods produced and grown in Texas. While I support and encourage our agencies to buy goods from Texas businesses, this bill simply does not change current law
This, if true, makes the law nothing but a publicity stunt and vetoing it would not be necessarily wrong though I can’t fathom why he would do so. If not true then he was wrong in vetoing the law.

I say you nailed it perfectly. There was no real reason whatsoever for him to veto this bill.

But for some reason these morons tried to turn this into some sort of "union" thing just because one union leader supported it.

The best thing that could happen now is for the GOP controlled Texas legislature to override his idiotic veto. Thank God he wasn't ever elected POTUS. :eusa_pray:

There is this though:

I say you nailed it perfectly. There was no real reason whatsoever for him to veto this bill.

But for some reason these morons tried to turn this into some sort of "union" thing just because one union leader supported it.

The best thing that could happen now is for the GOP controlled Texas legislature to override his idiotic veto. Thank God he wasn't ever elected POTUS. :eusa_pray:

According to the article – they cant. They waited too long to bother. That does give credence to his statement that it did not change the existing law though. It is odd that a legislature would fail to override a veto that they had a clear ability to do so. That is confusing in itself.

The union thing is asinine though. Disagreement with the way unions currently work does not mean that you need to oppose anything that they get behind. Such a concept is silly and I don’t know why so many jumped on that bandwagon. There is a CLEAR benefit to encouraging local product. It is one of the arias that we have lost our nerve as a nation as we encourage offshoring rather than local production.

Forum List

Back