Government Should Teach Traditional Values

Texas changed it's history curriculum based on the value of promoting a conservative view.

The curriculum plays down the role of Thomas Jefferson among the founding fathers, questions the separation of church and state, and claims that the U.S. government was infiltrated by Communists during the Cold War.

Because the Texas textbook market is so large, books assigned to the state's 4.7 million students often rocket to the top of the market, decreasing costs for other school districts and leading them to buy the same materials.

Discussions ranged from whether President Reagan should get more attention (yes), whether hip-hop should be included as part of lessons on American culture (no), and whether President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis's inaugural address should be studied alongside Abraham Lincoln's (yes).

Of particular contention was the requirement that lessons on McCarthyism note that "the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government."

The Venona papers document communication between the Soviet Union and its spies. Historians dispute the extent to which transcripts show Soviet involvement in American government.

Also contentious were changes that asserted Christian faith of the founding fathers. Historians say the founding fathers had a variety of approaches to religion and faith; some, like Jefferson, were quite secular.

Historians speak out against proposed Texas textbook changes

My guess is right wing posters here approve of this change in the history textbooks even though historican disagree.

Have you read "Venona", by Haynes and Klehr?

Have you read "In Denial" by Haynes and Klehr?

Have you read "The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB" by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin?

I have.

It's about time Americans learned of the depth and breadth of the Communist infiltration into our government, and society.
You might want to inform yourself, as well.

Have you read the Declaration of Independance?
If you are suggesting 'secular' as meaning anti- or non-religious, you
will be surprised to find the following:

There are four references to ‘Devine’ in Declaration of Independence… 1)in first paragraph ‘Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God,’ 2) next paragraph ‘endowed by their Creator,” 3) Supreme Judge of the world, and 4) ‘divine’ Providence, last paragraph.
This is important because our historic documents memorialize a government based on individuals born with inalienable rights, by, in various references, by the Devine, or Nature’s God, or their Creator, or the Supreme Judge, or divine Providence.

My guess is that the ignornant and the uneducated will disapprove of this change in the history textbooks.

Don't you agree?

Are you a relative of Joseph McCarthy? Ann Coulter? Herbert Hoover?

Are you a fanatic? Seeing spooks everywhere? Are they jumping out at you from behind potted plants?

Though relatively short, these House Un-American Activities Committee proceedings remain one of the most shameful moments in modern U.S. history.

Where were you during Watergate?

Last edited:
Wow you think slavery made america great and not the freedoms guaranteed by the constitution through limiting the power of the govt?

Yikes!

I think Samson was being sarcastic. :) So far he hasn't been too sympatico with the whole concept of schools making it possible for students to have ALL the information they need to make value judgments without the government dictating those values to them. I believe he is more in agreement with that than he's letting on, but that's just a gut feeling and he certainly can speak for himself.

It is unrealistic to
1. expect students to make "value judgements" about anything: these are people who would gorge themselves on Pizza and Tacos and watch Spongebobsquarepants all day if given the choice.
2. expect their parents to be anything but slightly marginally better at making value judgements: Many cannot even be bothered to feed their kids before sending them to school, much less taking time to teach "value judgements."

That is true re some. And certainly government is teaching piss poor values by taking over responsibilities, such as breakfast or nutrition in general, that was once a traditional value that parents expected to do. So we are building whole generations of people who never accept responsibility for parenting and providing for their kids.

Another traditional value was preparing yourself to support a family before you started one and that kids needed a mom and dad in the home and so they got married before they started having kids. Some of the modern generation finds all sorts of reasons to scorn such values, but the fact is people fare much better in that value system than do most who eschew it. Schools should be teaching that using real time statistics and verifiable truths to do it. That doesn't require a moral judgment but can be taught entirely objectively and practically.

Schools should be hammering into kids that those who educate themselves and graduate highschool will have infinate more opportunities and likelihood of success than those who drop out. Those who choose to get some college or a college degree will do even better. We should be impressing on kids that a diploma alone won't support them but they also need to be acquiring marketable skills or know how. That also doesn't require a moral judgment but is a purely practical matter as well as being socially responsible.

There are all sorts of values that schools can be promoting without placing any kind of moral judgment on them. Kids who are never taught how to think critically or who never are pushed to do so probably do usually wind up as the irreponsible numbnuts you describe. But I believe most people given good information will in time mature enough that they will utilize it.

Edward R. Murrow on his TV program, See It Now, doomed McCarthy.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty," Murrow said, in a warning that has been echoed repeatedly since then, from debates over the war in Vietnam to reconciling national security with civil liberties in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. "The actions of the junior Senator from Wisconsin have caused alarm and dismay amongst our allies abroad, and given considerable comfort to our enemies. And whose fault is that? Not really his. He didn't create this situation of fear; he merely exploited it—and rather successfully."

Funny how the supposedly "small government" folks are so HOT to make publically funded schools cater to right wing propaganda. You can always tell when a government is on its last legs: it starts going on about "traditional values." It makes sense though. A regime which has lost the respect of the people will complain that people no longer respect "traditional values" (i.e. authority). Rather than adjust their activities to gain respect, politicians simply blame the people they claim to represent and scold them for thinking for themselves.

Last edited:
Wow you think slavery made america great and not the freedoms guaranteed by the constitution through limiting the power of the govt?

Yikes!

I think Samson was being sarcastic. :) So far he hasn't been too sympatico with the whole concept of schools making it possible for students to have ALL the information they need to make value judgments without the government dictating those values to them. I believe he is more in agreement with that than he's letting on, but that's just a gut feeling and he certainly can speak for himself.

"I believe he is more in agreement with that than he's letting on,..."

Yup....Samson is the 'Charlie Brown' of the USMB....

"Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O
Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)"

A lot of the time, he's just jerkin' our chains....

:eusa_shhh:

I'm only serious about my Octopron Fetish.

1. Do you think that children should be allowed to watch more than two hours of television a day?

2. Do you feel that condoms should be available in our high schools?

3. Is merit pay a good thing?

4. Should we have an unlimited speed limit on our highways?

If we teach values, when are we supposed to do it? Do we take time away from math or social studies? Teachers complain about the amount of curriculum that has to be taught as it is. What kind of training program would be put in place to train teachers on how to teach values? There is also the cost factor. Any program on values would require funding. Will the benefits outweigh the cost of implementing such a program. Somebody will ultimately be responsible for the expenditures. He or she will become a hero if the values curriculum is successful, but he or she also runs the risk of taking the heat if the program fails.

Last edited:
Values Topics/issues that Should be
Taught in Public School

Friendship
Responsibility
Peace
Truth

Values Topics/Issues that Should NOT be Taught in Public School

Politics
Culture (art, music, literature, etc.)
Personal tastes (clothes, hair style, etc.)
Religion

Interesting how you right wingers only talk to each other and not to a poster with another view. Why is that? Do you think the right wing are the only citizens worth talking to?

Last edited:

It is unrealistic to
1. expect students to make "value judgements" about anything: these are people who would gorge themselves on Pizza and Tacos and watch Spongebobsquarepants all day if given the choice.
2. expect their parents to be anything but slightly marginally better at making value judgements: Many cannot even be bothered to feed their kids before sending them to school, much less taking time to teach "value judgements."

That is true re some. And certainly government is teaching piss poor values by taking over responsibilities, such as breakfast or nutrition in general, that was once a traditional value that parents expected to do. So we are building whole generations of people who never accept responsibility for parenting and providing for their kids.

Another traditional value was preparing yourself to support a family before you started one and that kids needed a mom and dad in the home and so they got married before they started having kids. Some of the modern generation finds all sorts of reasons to scorn such values, but the fact is people fare much better in that value system than do most who eschew it. Schools should be teaching that using real time statistics and verifiable truths to do it. That doesn't require a moral judgment but can be taught entirely objectively and practically.

Schools should be hammering into kids that those who educate themselves and graduate highschool will have infinate more opportunities and likelihood of success than those who drop out. Those who choose to get some college or a college degree will do even better. We should be impressing on kids that a diploma alone won't support them but they also need to be acquiring marketable skills or know how. That also doesn't require a moral judgment but is a purely practical matter as well as being socially responsible.

There are all sorts of values that schools can be promoting without placing any kind of moral judgment on them. Kids who are never taught how to think critically or who never are pushed to do so probably do usually wind up as the irreponsible numbnuts you describe. But I believe most people given good information will in time mature enough that they will utilize it.

A. This is a MYTH: "Another traditional value was preparing yourself to support a family before you started one and that kids needed a mom and dad in the home and so they got married before they started having kids." Humans have never embrased this value to the extent that it has ever been "traditional" with the possible exception of Islam where the value can only be enforced with the treat of being STONED TO DEATH!:eusa_hand:

B. You don't think schools are already "hammering into kids that those who educate themselves and graduate highschool will have infinate more opportunities????":eek:

C. "There are all sorts of values that schools can be promoting without placing any kind of moral judgment on them." Name ONE, and I will place a moral judgement on it.:eusa_angel:

Texas changed it's history curriculum based on the value of promoting a conservative view.

The curriculum plays down the role of Thomas Jefferson among the founding fathers, questions the separation of church and state, and claims that the U.S. government was infiltrated by Communists during the Cold War.

Because the Texas textbook market is so large, books assigned to the state's 4.7 million students often rocket to the top of the market, decreasing costs for other school districts and leading them to buy the same materials.

Discussions ranged from whether President Reagan should get more attention (yes), whether hip-hop should be included as part of lessons on American culture (no), and whether President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis's inaugural address should be studied alongside Abraham Lincoln's (yes).

Of particular contention was the requirement that lessons on McCarthyism note that "the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government."

The Venona papers document communication between the Soviet Union and its spies. Historians dispute the extent to which transcripts show Soviet involvement in American government.

Also contentious were changes that asserted Christian faith of the founding fathers. Historians say the founding fathers had a variety of approaches to religion and faith; some, like Jefferson, were quite secular.

Historians speak out against proposed Texas textbook changes

My guess is right wing posters here approve of this change in the history textbooks even though historican disagree.

Have you read "Venona", by Haynes and Klehr?

Have you read "In Denial" by Haynes and Klehr?

Have you read "The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB" by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin?

I have.

It's about time Americans learned of the depth and breadth of the Communist infiltration into our government, and society.
You might want to inform yourself, as well.

Have you read the Declaration of Independance?
If you are suggesting 'secular' as meaning anti- or non-religious, you
will be surprised to find the following:

There are four references to ‘Devine’ in Declaration of Independence… 1)in first paragraph ‘Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God,’ 2) next paragraph ‘endowed by their Creator,” 3) Supreme Judge of the world, and 4) ‘divine’ Providence, last paragraph.
This is important because our historic documents memorialize a government based on individuals born with inalienable rights, by, in various references, by the Devine, or Nature’s God, or their Creator, or the Supreme Judge, or divine Providence.

My guess is that the ignornant and the uneducated will disapprove of this change in the history textbooks.

Don't you agree?

Are you a relative of Joseph McCarthy? Ann Coulter? Herbert Hoover?

Are you a fanatic? Seeing spooks everywhere? Are they jumping out at you from behind potted plants?

Though relatively short, these House Un-American Activities Committee proceedings remain one of the most shameful moments in modern U.S. history.

Where were you during Watergate?

Now, why is it that you didn't answer as to whether or not you had read the
books mentioned????

Didn't read 'em?
Any of 'em?

Not a one???

Wow....yet you have strong opinions about their content.

Try this:
"The federally funded “National History Standards” for elementary schools were released in 1994, cemented a revisionist view of American Communism for schoolteachers, as the guide mentions McCarthy over twenty times, while Edison and the Wright Brothers got no mention. “It …repeatedly condemns McCarthyism as an unmitigated evil…[but] the Hiss-Chambers and Rosenberg cases, the two dominant controversies of the anticommunist era, are described with bland, neutral language crafted to keep from implying guilt while not being quite so foolhardy as to actually assert innocence..’National Standards’…implies that the cases are part and parcel of the McCartyite horror.” From “In Denial,” by Haynes and Klehr, pg. 151

"...these House Un-American Activities Committee proceedings remain one of the most shameful moments in modern U.S. history."
Nah, this was the really shameful one:

“On September 2, 1939, the day after the outbreak of war in Europe, Whittaker Chambers had told much of what he knew about Soviet espionage in the United States to Adolph Berle, Assistant Secretary of State and President’s Roosevelt’s advisor on internal security. Immediately afterwards, Berle drew up a memorandum for the President which listed Alger Hiss, Harry Dexter White and the other leading communists for whom Chambers acted as courier. One was a leading presidential aide, Lauchlin Currie….Roosevelt, however, was not interested. He seems to have dismissed the whole idea of espionage rings within his administration as absurd.” ‘The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archives, the History of the KGB,” by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin.p.107

Does that neon light flashing IDIOT over your head keep you awake at night?

I see. You only talk seriously amongst yourselves, and with me, you post silly. OK. I currently work in education. I sub at an elementary school as well as run my own private business. Values are interesting to me and our school has a culture of zero tolerance for bullying as a core value.

In the regard, the public schools should teach children the value of respecting others, following the rules, and being able to control impulses well enough to learn their subjects.

I don't think schools should be politically indoctrinating children.

Last edited:
I see. You only talk seriously amongst yourselves, and with me, you post silly. OK. I currently work in education. I sub at an elementary school as well as run my own private business. Values are interesting to me and our school has a culture of zero tolerance for bullying as a core value.

If you want the people here to take you seriously then don't disparage them in every post. Accept that they have some political differneces with you then challenge them respectfully on the issues you want them to discuss.

I read your posts on the previous page and their nature makes it so I wouldn't want to try and discuss with you either, it appears that even if someone makes a reasonable response you will still unreasonably attack them.

That is the impression you have been giving off in recent weeks anyway, a far cry from my first impression of you as a resonable and respectful poster on these forums.

I did see a post where you didn't do that and I'll go respond for you now.

1. Do you think that children should be allowed to watch more than two hours of television a day?

2. Do you feel that condoms should be available in our high schools?

3. Is merit pay a good thing?

4. Should we have an unlimited speed limit on our highways?

If we teach values, when are we supposed to do it? Do we take time away from math or social studies? Teachers complain about the amount of curriculum that has to be taught as it is. What kind of training program would be put in place to train teachers on how to teach values? There is also the cost factor. Any program on values would require funding. Will the benefits outweigh the cost of implementing such a program. Somebody will ultimately be responsible for the expenditures. He or she will become a hero if the values curriculum is successful, but he or she also runs the risk of taking the heat if the program fails.

1) I feel that is a decision for parents to make, not schools or political parties.

2) Yes but with parental consent if the student is under 18 since they are minors. It would also be acceptable if the PTA for that school found it ok to give them away to students under 18 but it would need PTA approval first.

3) Yes its is.

4) Ummmmmm....that question doesn't seem to relate well but I love driving fast so........

If you want the people here to take you seriously then don't disparage them in every post. Accept that they have some political differneces with you then challenge them respectfully on the issues you want them to discuss.

I read your posts on the previous page and their nature makes it so I wouldn't want to try and discuss with you either, it appears that even if someone makes a reasonable response you will still unreasonably attack them.

That is the impression you have been giving off in recent weeks anyway, a far cry from my first impression of you as a resonable and respectful poster on these forums.

How have I disparaged you today? Be specific. Put whatever sentence you find so insulting forward so I can take a look at it. I'm trying to tone it down. I happen to be a passionate person and I get the impression that some of you wish I would "stifle myself?"". It not my intention to insult anyone just challenge the "right makes right" crowd.

Last edited:
It is unrealistic to

A. This is a MYTH: "Another traditional value was preparing yourself to support a family before you started one and that kids needed a mom and dad in the home and so they got married before they started having kids." Humans have never embrased this value to the extent that it has ever been "traditional" with the possible exception of Islam where the value can only be enforced with the treat of being STONED TO DEATH!:eusa_hand:

B. You don't think schools are already "hammering into kids that those who educate themselves and graduate highschool will have infinate more opportunities????":eek:

C. "There are all sorts of values that schools can be promoting without placing any kind of moral judgment on them." Name ONE, and I will place a moral judgement on it.:eusa_angel:

I have already named several and whether YOU place a moral judgment on it is irrelevent. It is only relevant that the school/government not place a moral judgment on it but just provide accurate and complete information.

And we will have to agree to disagree on that 'myth'. I am enough older than you to remember the time in my lifetime, even at the time I got married, to know what the norm, the national value, was. The values do not always dictate behavior as value and action are separate things.

What the "norm" was when Fox and I were kids is not what the "norm" is now. Conservatives want to go backward in time to what they consider "traditional" (time long past) values.

Our country has changed in the last 50 years and we have to change with it. JMO That's a liberal or progressive view of values. Equality was once NOT a "tradtional" value, now it is.

How have I disparaged you today? Be specific. Put whatever sentence you find so insulting forward so I can take a look at it. I'm trying to tone it down. I happen to be a passionate person and I get the impression that some of you wish I would "stifle myself?"".

Me personally? Not at all. I was just observing your behavior across several threads this week. I understand that you get attacked too and its easy to let that give you an excuse to respond in kind but sometimes we need to rise above that. C'mon I know you've read Buddha's writings ;).

I'm just trying to remind you of the path.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

•Equality: Where equality rightly belongs is in a government course, where students should be taught that all people are equal under the law, regardless of race, gender, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

•Diversity: Accept that we live in a plurality, and our population is composed of different races, gender, religions, and affectional orientation. We all have different gifts to offer our country

•Popular Sovereignty: Again, it should, be taught that the Constitution protects us by limiting popular sovereignty in important ways.

•Liberty: This is something that is a value, but it is one that stems from respect for the individual.

•Life: Like liberty, this comes from respect for the individual.

•Patriotism: I’m of two minds on this one. The first is that people should respect this country, making patriotism a good thing. The second is that I’m wary of a government institution (public school) attempting to teach patriotism, since it could devolve from respect of the country into obedience of the government.

•Pursiut of Happiness: Like life and liberty, this comes from respect for the individual.

•Truth: Depends on how this one is taught. If it is that the reasoned pursuit of truth is a value, then I absolutely support it. If it is that some higher authority (media or government) knows the truth, then I oppose it.

•Common Good: Letting a government instution teach the common good is dangerous, since it will likely be the government-defined common good.

•Integrity: The value of one’s own word, and one’s own work. Kids should learn, from an early age, that it is wrong to their name on another’s work. In fact, it can be considered theft. Also, kids should be taught that what they say means something, and that they are responsible for keeping their word.

•Discipline: This should be valued since it is what helps people overcome their weaknesses. The more disadvantaged the student, the more important discipline becomes.

Last edited:

How have I disparaged you today? Be specific. Put whatever sentence you find so insulting forward so I can take a look at it. I'm trying to tone it down. I happen to be a passionate person and I get the impression that some of you wish I would "stifle myself?"".

Me personally? Not at all. I was just observing your behavior across several threads this week. I understand that you get attacked too and its easy to let that give you an excuse to respond in kind but sometimes we need to rise above that. C'mon I know you've read Buddha's writings ;).

I'm just trying to remind you of the path.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

From now on, if you find a post that seems to be personally attacking of anyone please quote it and point it out to me. Thank you for acknowledging I have no personally attacked you today.

Yes, I get my character attacked often here. You haven't done so. This is general to all posters. Please attack the writing in my post, not my person.

Last edited:
What the "norm" was when Fox and I were kids is not what the "norm" is now. Conservatives want to go backward in time to what they consider "traditional" (time long past) values.

Our country has changed in the last 50 years and we have to change with it. JMO That's a liberal or progressive view of values. Equality was once NOT a "tradtional" value, now it is.

- Children in father-absent homes are five times more likely to be poor. In
2002, 7.8% of children in married-couple families were living in poverty,
compared to 38.4% of children in female-householder families.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Children's Living Arrangements and Characteristics: March
2002, P20-547, Table C8. Washington, D.C.: GPO 2003.

- In 1996, young children living with unmarried mothers were five times
as likely to be poor and ten times as likely to be extremely poor.
Source: "One in Four: America's Youngest Poor." National Center for children in Poverty. 1996.

- Almost 75% of American children living in single-parent families will
experience poverty before they turn 11 years old. Only 20 percent of
children in two-parent families will do the same.
Source: National Commission on Children. Just the Facts: A Summary of Recent information
on America's Children and their Families. Washington, DC, 1993.

Forum List

Back