Grocery bag tax..Good idea or bad?

Yep let mommy and daddy government excerpt some more control over people's lives throughout the history of the world government expanding it's influence into peoples lives has never lead to anything bad.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn4iy2BoSQ0:eek:[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm against all social engineering taxes. This one included.

I agree except I see the upside being far greater than the down. Downside it's a tax...upside, we won't be using as much plastic bags which are used for about 10 minutes and lasts for decades. It's the herpes of trash. It never goes away.

Back in the mid 1950's, the grocery stores reused the boxes the canned foods came in. The men that packed our groceries were called box boys. When the paper bag bagan to be used, the cashier would ask if we desired a bag or a box. My dad was one of the last hold outs. I remember him saying, "I don't need my groceries falling out in the middle of the parking lot --- thank you. You may give me a box." How far we have come...

Last edited:
Back in the mid 1950's, the grocery stores reused the boxes the canned foods came in. The men that packed our groceries were called box boys. When the paper bag bagan to be used, the cashier would ask if we desired a bag or a box. My dad was one of the last hold outs. I remember him saying, "I don't need my groceries falling out in the middle of the parking lot --- thank you. You may give me a box." How far we have come...

Stop using shitty paper bags. Paper bags can hold far more weight than plastic bags anyway.

Very rarely if ever do I ever have a problem with paper or plastic bags ripping on me while carrying groceries to the vehicle.

Last edited:
Jesus christ...plastic bags need defending? Why? This isn't a theory you guys see them..know they stick sround for ever and you attempt to make reducing them as a bad idea? Who is it a bad idea for and how? Anyone?

in LA were they are banning them they claimed these grocery bags are clogging up the landfills.....what a crock of shit.....plastic Trash Bags are doing that.....but yet they are not calling for their ban....why?....and they do have bio-degradable plastic....the company that makes them said that his grocery bags are more expensive than regular bags but cheaper than the canvas ones.....he said on the news they told him to get lost we are going with the canvas.....so who on the LA City council is making a buck on this?.....

I think it would be hard for you to say Harry that one plastic bag is more responsible than another. That being said biodegradable plastic bags are a good thing but I don't believe they are a better solution than canvas. Ppl will still throw away large amount of the biodegradable kinds far more than the canvas bags, and until they degrade they will still pose a problem the canvas bags don't.

I think it would be hard for you to say Harry that one plastic bag is more responsible than another. That being said biodegradable plastic bags are a good thing but I don't believe they are a better solution than canvas. Ppl will still throw away large amount of the biodegradable kinds far more than the canvas bags, and until they degrade they will still pose a problem the canvas bags don't.

Biodegradable bags made from corn aren't even all that great right now either.

Biodegradable bag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The public looks at biodegradable as something magical," even though the term is mostly meaningless, according to Ramani Narayan, a chemical engineer at Michigan State University in East Lansing, and science consultant to the Biodegradable Plastics Institute. "This is the most used and abused and misused word in our dictionary right now. Simply calling something biodegradable and not defining in what environment it is going to be biodegradable and in what time period it is going to degrade is very misleading and deceptive." In the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, biodegradable plastics break up into small pieces that can more easily enter the food chain by being consumed." [8]

I think this is a grand idea. I live in the mid west, and we have chains of stores here that already reduce your grocery bill total if you bring in your own bags. I think this is a great way to reduce waste and help to make the younger generation more aware of reusing and repurposing.

Biodegradable bags made from corn aren't even all that great right now either.

Biodegradable bag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The public looks at biodegradable as something magical," even though the term is mostly meaningless, according to Ramani Narayan, a chemical engineer at Michigan State University in East Lansing, and science consultant to the Biodegradable Plastics Institute. "This is the most used and abused and misused word in our dictionary right now. Simply calling something biodegradable and not defining in what environment it is going to be biodegradable and in what time period it is going to degrade is very misleading and deceptive." In the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, biodegradable plastics break up into small pieces that can more easily enter the food chain by being consumed." [8]

To put the cherry on top...those small pieces end up in fish that end up on our plates. Completing thebcycle of polution. We get to eat it! Yea!

Now some people may not care about oceans and the earth but who doesnt like seafood?

Maryland is set to impose an additional tax on plastic bags. I heard a commercial about it saying thst it would hurt the middle class and poor while losing jobs. But itnwas paid for by plastic bag manufactures...sooooo...yeah.

I se it like this...tax the hell outta plastic bags means that less ppl will use them means less plastic goes into our environment. Win win

The only down side is for those who cannot livenwithout plastic bags will have to pay more for their plastic, or adapt.

Your thoughts?

We pay an extra five cents per plastic bag at the supermarket, and it has greatly reduced the number of plastic bags used. In 2010, my local supermarket raised $42,000 just from plastic bags alone. The money went to charity.

The city of Seattle passed a law to make "plastic grocery bags biodegradable - so they did - then 7 years later they banned them and made retailers charge a fee for any bags used to put items into - in the name of a "greener" state. So now they use paper bags that are more expensive and pay the fee to use them. You can bring your own bags and not pay the fee - so I used the saved plastic bags and use them just to spite the city government.

Second explain how banning plastic bags kills people.

-Banning plastic bags will require people to buy reusable bags
-Resusable bags would need to be cleaned to prevent buildup of bacterial diseases
-People who neglect cleaning bags or don't clean them properly get sick and possibly die

Thus, banning plastic bags kills people.

Last edited:

-Resusable bags would need to be cleaned to prevent buildup of bacterial diseases
-People who neglect cleaning bags or don't clean them properly get sick and possibly die

People should be smart enough to clean their reusable bags. Thus, idiotic people kill themselves.

Jesus christ...plastic bags need defending? Why? This isn't a theory you guys see them..know they stick sround for ever and you attempt to make reducing them as a bad idea? Who is it a bad idea for and how? Anyone?

Banning plastic bags kills people, it also fails a rudimentary cost benefit analysis.I started a thread about that a few weeks ago.

First no one said ban.
Thanks

It spreads disease.

People should be smart enough to clean their reusable bags. Thus, idiotic people kill themselves.

Imagine, if you will, a reusable grocery bag that has been contaminated with a virulent strain of e coli. That bag belongs to one of those idiots you were talking about, and he stores it next to his water heater, keeping it at just the right temperature for the bugs to grow. He then goes shopping, and puts his bag on the counter to fill it up and pay for his groceries. You come along right behind him, and put your newly bought food on the same counter.

Guess who gets sick.

Are people out there right now killing themselves from their clothing?

What you say is retarded.

Maryland is set to impose an additional tax on plastic bags. I heard a commercial about it saying thst it would hurt the middle class and poor while losing jobs. But itnwas paid for by plastic bag manufactures...sooooo...yeah.

I se it like this...tax the hell outta plastic bags means that less ppl will use them means less plastic goes into our environment. Win win

The only down side is for those who cannot livenwithout plastic bags will have to pay more for their plastic, or adapt.

Your thoughts?

Get rid of those plastic bags get the reusable ones, also get rid of no return containers. Back in the 50's and early 60's there wasn't so much throw away plastic bottle trash.:eusa_angel:

I support most things that are good for our environment, but this is not one of them. The idea of reusing permanent grocery bags seems like a great idea. You buy them and then use them over and over again. Makes sense, right? Well, not exactly. The problem is that these bags pick up all kinds of bacteria and in some cases viruses that can and will be transmitted to those using the bags. The bacteria gets onto your produce, and then you eat it. Mmm, mmm, good, yummy in the tummy.

Nope this is a very bad idea. Plastic bags can and should be recycled. That is what local communities should be working toward, getting more people to recycle, rather than taxing them so they are forced to use reusable bags that will eventually make them sick.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...le-bags-carry-germs-along-groceries/?page=all

Are people out there right now killing themselves from their clothing?

What you say is retarded.

It is lucky for you know one has a documented case of anyone getting sick because of a reusable grocery bag.

A reusable grocery bag played a central role in spreading a stomach bug among teenage girls at a recent soccer tournament in Washington state, a study finds.

The bag had been stored in a hotel bathroom where one of the girls became ill. The next day, the sick girl went home, but the not-so-clean bag was used to deliver cookies and other snacks to the soccer team.

Although the sick girl never touched the bag and didn't have contact with members of her team after her symptoms, seven other girls became sick after eating the snacks.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/how-a-reusable-grocery-bag-can-spread-disease

Oops.

Last edited:
The Save-A-Lot store where I live provides cartons (the ones their products come in) to shoppers. I use these instead of other containers. After I use them , the cartons are picked up by the trash collectors to be recycled.

Sounds good to me.

If they do away with plastic bags or charge me for them, no big deal. I will use my own cloth bags and make sure they are always clean.

Forum List

Back