Grover thumped by Senate

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Online Sales Tax Bill Passes Senate

WASHINGTON — The Senate sided with traditional retailers and financially strapped state and local governments Monday by passing a bill that would widely subject online shopping – for many a largely tax-free frontier – to state sales taxes.

The Senate passed the bill by a vote of 69 to 27, getting support from Republicans and Democrats alike. But opposition from some conservatives who view it as a tax increase will make it a tougher sell in the House.

President Barack Obama has conveyed his support for the measure.

This sales tax is a good thing.

What is more difficult, challenging, and expensive... establishing a physical retail operation or sitting at your computer making mouse clicks and keyboard entries?

I hope this mess fails in the House.

I have already contacted several Reps in the House and they are not supporting it.

Tax this...tax that...

Take your Internet Tax bill and shove it up your asses. Money-grabbing shitheads.

Take money out of the economy. Lets just shoot the economy in the foot. This would insure everyone has less to spend. And it hurts the poor more than the rich.

I hope this mess fails in the House.

I have already contacted several Reps in the House and they are not supporting it.

Quelle surprise!!!! :shock: ..... NOT! :doubt: When has the House ever worked w/ the President aside from the post-midterm session after the Republican's last shellacking at the polls?

WASHINGTON — The Senate sided with traditional retailers and financially strapped state and local governments Monday by passing a bill that would widely subject online shopping – for many a largely tax-free frontier – to state sales taxes.

The Senate passed the bill by a vote of 69 to 27, getting support from Republicans and Democrats alike. But opposition from some conservatives who view it as a tax increase will make it a tougher sell in the House.

It's going down in the HOR.

Lets hope so.

Clearly we're just not taxed enough.

This bill needs to needs to croak

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I could be wrong but-----but you might be right - this bill might die in the House which, of course, would be more proof of my theory that the House's IQ is a collective 20 points lower than the Senate's.

OTOH, the bill has bipartisan and retailer support on both the federal and state levels.

My prediction is; Republican resolve for "no new taxes" will wilt under the pressure from big Republican contributors like Wal-Mart.

Merchants, bankers, small businesses, bizarre coalitions, Dick Durbin and Mike Enzi: The Senate is re-enacting its great swipe fee battle of 2011, but this time the issue in question is whether online sellers should have to pay sales tax just as brick and mortar retailers do.

And

That Congress is even dealing with the online sales tax issue is an example of how the need to raise campaign cash helps set the agenda. As one moderate Democratic senator put it during the swipe fee fight, "I'm surprised at how much of our time is spent trying to divide up the spoils between various economic interests. I had no idea. I thought we’d be focused on civil liberties, on education policy, energy policy and so on."

"The fights down here can be put in two or three categories: The big greedy bastards against the big greedy bastards; the big greedy bastards against the little greedy bastards; and some cases even the other little greedy bastards against the other little greedy bastards," the senator said.

Both the swipe fee and online sales tax efforts were cosponsored by Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), and involved unusual bipartisan coalitions. In order to win over enough Republicans, the argument that the the online sales tax bill does not create a new tax has been central to its advocates, who have taken to describing it as a "due tax," a term coined by Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.), who is handling outreach to fellow Republicans.

I could be wrong but-----but you might be right - this bill might die in the House which, of course, would be more proof of my theory that the House's IQ is a collective 20 points lower than the Senate's.

OTOH, the bill has bipartisan and retailer support on both the federal and state levels.

My prediction is; Republican resolve for "no new taxes" will wilt under the pressure from big Republican contributors like Wal-Mart.

Merchants, bankers, small businesses, bizarre coalitions, Dick Durbin and Mike Enzi: The Senate is re-enacting its great swipe fee battle of 2011, but this time the issue in question is whether online sellers should have to pay sales tax just as brick and mortar retailers do.

And

That Congress is even dealing with the online sales tax issue is an example of how the need to raise campaign cash helps set the agenda. As one moderate Democratic senator put it during the swipe fee fight, "I'm surprised at how much of our time is spent trying to divide up the spoils between various economic interests. I had no idea. I thought we’d be focused on civil liberties, on education policy, energy policy and so on."

"The fights down here can be put in two or three categories: The big greedy bastards against the big greedy bastards; the big greedy bastards against the little greedy bastards; and some cases even the other little greedy bastards against the other little greedy bastards," the senator said.

Both the swipe fee and online sales tax efforts were cosponsored by Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), and involved unusual bipartisan coalitions. In order to win over enough Republicans, the argument that the the online sales tax bill does not create a new tax has been central to its advocates, who have taken to describing it as a "due tax," a term coined by Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.), who is handling outreach to fellow Republicans.

If they don't pass this I think you mean 20 points higher. Nobody should be supporting this. With such a delicate economy right now this is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Just another tax taking money out of the economy. Walmart will probably have the most to gain from this, and I don't think they need any help. The internet is about the last place anyone can start a small business anymore. Try a brick and mortar and you have a Walmart around the corner ruining your business.

And

If they don't pass this I think you mean 20 points higher. Nobody should be supporting this. With such a delicate economy right now this is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Just another tax taking money out of the economy. Walmart will probably have the most to gain from this, and I don't think they need any help. The internet is about the last place anyone can start a small business anymore. Try a brick and mortar and you have a Walmart around the corner ruining your business.

Republicans are twisting themselves into pretzels trying to not call the Marketplace Fairness Act a tax increase ("It is not a new tax, it is a due tax,” [Steve Womack (R-Ark.)] Womack said in December.) but the fact of the matter is, it's a tax increase-----a tax increase that 13 Republican Governors recognize as necessary to keep their state's economies afloat.

Republicans can whine and piss and moan all they want but the Marketplace Fairness Act has overwhelming support - if the House votes it down it will be another example of how far out of touch today's version of the Republican party has become.

Marketplace Fairness Act: Supporters

Forum List

Back