Growing Pains

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
The population of my district is growing fast. As a result, our student population is increasing. The problem is that the physical building isn't keeping pace. The school built a modular building a few years ago to accommodate the expanding population, but now that's full as well. This year a teacher's lounge is being repurposed into another classroom. Same with several offices. What was a workout room next to the gym is also being revamped as another classroom. By law, if a family shows up to register their child or children for school, they can't be turned away. They can't even be put on a waiting list. With no sign of the growth abating, the school is running out of options.

The population of my district is growing fast. As a result, our student population is increasing. The problem is that the physical building isn't keeping pace. The school built a modular building a few years ago to accommodate the expanding population, but now that's full as well. This year a teacher's lounge is being repurposed into another classroom. Same with several offices. What was a workout room next to the gym is also being revamped as another classroom. By law, if a family shows up to register their child or children for school, they can't be turned away. They can't even be put on a waiting list. With no sign of the growth abating, the school is running out of options.
Older folks are against raising taxes to educate the future. Their kids are out of schools. Shortsightedness and selfishness knows no bounds.

People don't really care about "the children" as much as they claim.

Older folks are against raising taxes to educate the future. Their kids are out of schools. Shortsightedness and selfishness knows no bounds.

Older folks are against wasting tax money.

Dr. Rand Paul Releases 2023 ‘Festivus’ Report on Government Waste

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), Ranking Member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, released his 2023 “Festivus” Report, totaling ~$900,000,000,000 in government waste.

This marks Dr. Paul’s ninth edition of the Festivus Report as he continues working to alert the American people to how their federal government uses their hard-earned money.

Some of the highlights include the National Institutes of Health spending a portion of a $2.7 million grant to study Russian cats walking on a treadmill and Barbies used as proof of ID for receiving COVID Paycheck Protection Program funds. The Department of Defense ruined over $169 million worth of military equipment by leaving it outside, the United States Agency for International Development spent $6 million to promote tourism in Egypt, and the Small Business Administration gave ‘struggling’ music artists like Post Malone, Chris Brown, and Lil Wayne over $200 million.

Sometimes it seems that way. A few years back there was a referendum about raising property taxes to build a new, larger building for our high school. It failed. Instead, some Covid money was redirected to build the modular classrooms. A stopgap measure at most. I understand not wanting to pay more taxes, but at some point in the not-so-distant future there will be no choice. In the end, it will all cost much more by kicking the can down the road.

Sometimes it seems that way. A few years back there was a referendum about raising property taxes to build a new, larger building for our high school. It failed. Instead, some Covid money was redirected to build the modular classrooms. A stopgap measure at most. I understand not wanting to pay more taxes, but at some point in the not-so-distant future there will be no choice. In the end, it will all cost much more by kicking the can down the road.

I've seen it first hand. Friggin short-sighted and older folks put themselves and their property values in danger. It's worse than the NIMBY crowd. This is "I had mine screw you" and that destroys communities.

It's like Midnight Basketball shit years ago. Keep youth busy, or mischief will turn into your worst nightmare. Seen that first hand growing up in public housing

Pick one and give it a try???

:popcorn:
I know people like you love Click-bait, and Trollish Headlines (every Trump post), but reality is...

Most of these efforts to shame science are baseless. (Case in point: That 85% figure comes from an opinion piece where the authors pulled the number out of thin air.) When trusted public figures use bad faith arguments to denigrate research it decreases trust in science, making it more difficult to improve public health outcomes and implement solutions to ongoing crises.

Sen. Paul and his compatriots also seem to forget that scientific research and development creates jobs and provides a net gain to the economy. For example, every dollar spent on research at the University of Kentucky generates $1.85 -a pretty good return on investment. While the Festivus Report (unsurprisingly) doesn’t include any research studies based in Kentucky, the types of studies he describes as “wasteful” are similar to research conducted in the commonwealth that Sen. Paul is supposed to represent.

What the report gets wrong​

The Festivus Report annotates scientific studies with snarky commentary instead of the necessary context to understand the research. It’s difficult to tell how much of the misinformation littering the report is a cynical ploy to score political points and how much of it is a result of science illiteracy. Either way, it’s pretty hypocritical that a report about wasting taxpayer money was produced-using taxpayer money-without due diligence to ensure that the information is accurate.

note: I was busy elsewhere, with shit that was more meaningful than your shit

I know people like you love Click-bait, and Trollish Headlines (every Trump post), but reality is...

Most of these efforts to shame science are baseless. (Case in point: That 85% figure comes from an opinion piece where the authors pulled the number out of thin air.) When trusted public figures use bad faith arguments to denigrate research it decreases trust in science, making it more difficult to improve public health outcomes and implement solutions to ongoing crises.

Sen. Paul and his compatriots also seem to forget that scientific research and development creates jobs and provides a net gain to the economy. For example, every dollar spent on research at the University of Kentucky generates $1.85 -a pretty good return on investment. While the Festivus Report (unsurprisingly) doesn’t include any research studies based in Kentucky, the types of studies he describes as “wasteful” are similar to research conducted in the commonwealth that Sen. Paul is supposed to represent.

The Festivus Report annotates scientific studies with snarky commentary instead of the necessary context to understand the research. It’s difficult to tell how much of the misinformation littering the report is a cynical ploy to score political points and how much of it is a result of science illiteracy. Either way, it’s pretty hypocritical that a report about wasting taxpayer money was produced-using taxpayer money-without due diligence to ensure that the information is accurate.

Where did you get this gibberish from? :laugh:

LINK?

Science!

Care to float in a hot-air balloon around Egyptian ruins or travel down the Nile on a Royal Cleopatra Nile cruise? Maybe touring the Temple of Khnum,or seeing an 1897 oil press is more your style? If so, Esna, Egypt, might be the perfect spot for your next vacation.I have nothing against tourism, but U.S. taxpayers should not be the ones funding a tourismboosting program in Esna, Egypt.Yet the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) approved spending $6 million to do just that: boost tourism in Egypt, which it promotes as a “value investment in sustainable integrated tourism.”USAID’s multi-million-dollar VISIT-Esna initiative will run through September 2024. The U.S. has spent over $100 million on Egyptian tourism so far. What’s next –rebuilding the pyramids? Apparently, Congress and the agencies it funds think our treasury is a bottomless pit.

How many are illegals?

Forum List

Back