how to react if approached by a bear?

A .45 will just really piss it off unless you get a really lucky shot.
That's what they say. I can't believe it. How can an animal be so tough?

I've been watching a lot of "murder caught on tape" type shows. Being a deer hunter I'm fascinated watching humans die. Very similar to the deer as it runs off to die. I can't believe people/deer can run for so long after being shot. Adrenaline. So year, if a bear is rushing me, a 45 probably won't stop it.

But remember I have a 9 round magazine. 9 shots won't stop it?

One morning I was walking to my tree stand in the dark. The wind was blowing the ferns. In my mind it looked like what it would look like if a bear or bobcat came rushing at me. I realized if they caught me by surprise I'd be fucked. But as a hunter, I'm trying to walk out real quiet. As a person trying to not surprise a bear I should be saying HI BEAR every 10 steps. If a bear gets me, it's hard to feel sorry for me with what I'm doing. Murdering bambi. LOL

Btw I was too busy to post this video before, but this is where I got my loose sleeve notebook joke. 😆 As whatever Cosby did or didn't do doesn't change the fact that he's still hilarious. 🤣

or a wolf?
Stand still so you don't alarm the wolf and watch in awe that you have been so lucky to be blessed with their appearance!.

I saw two at one time and I'll never forget the joy I felt!

Bears should be respected the same way, but they're an every day appearance if I go where they are this time of year!

Stand still so you don't alarm the wolf and watch in awe that you have been so lucky to be blessed with their appearance!.

I saw two at one time and I'll never forget the joy I felt!

Bears should be respected the same way, but they're an every day appearance if I go where they are this time of year!
Is it a blessing?

That's what they say. I can't believe it. How can an animal be so tough?

Depends on the type bear, whether it is hungry or rutting for mate, and it depends on where shot. If it is only a black bear, you might chase it away with just a big stick, a rock or yelling. Or you might kill it with a lucky head or heart shot with a .45. Or maybe you won't. It might be a bigger bear, or you might miss or just wound it and piss it off.

Do you really want to chance that? Ain't nothing coming after you once hit in the chest, body or head by a .378.

Shot once is all you need. Hydrostatic shock is where it is at. A .45 might kill something big by bleeding it out, but not until it has still lived long enough to kill you first.

How can an animal be so tough?

BTW, let's say you are 200 pounds. A black bear (your smallest bear) might weight 400 pounds (medium size). Such a bear probably has around 4X the capacity to take a bullet than you do and people have been known to survive a .45. So, a .45 might kill a black bear immediately, within a few minutes, or just injure it to where it might eventually die of infection or something days or weeks later. Meanwhile, it might just be really pissed off now and it can run faster and climb higher than you can.

And while black bears generally try to avoid man, every other bear is even bigger and meaner. You really want firepower running into a bear, a .44 mag, a .50 ca, or a long gun like a 30-06 or bigger.

.338 Lapuas are nice. :SMILEW~130:

I'm fond of living.

Depends on the type bear, whether it is hungry or rutting for mate, and it depends on where shot. If it is only a black bear, you might chase it away with just a big stick, a rock or yelling. Or you might kill it with a lucky head or heart shot with a .45. Or maybe you won't. It might be a bigger bear, or you might miss or just wound it and piss it off.

Do you really want to chance that? Ain't nothing coming after you once hit in the chest, body or head by a .378.

Shot once is all you need. Hydrostatic shock is where it is at. A .45 might kill something big by bleeding it out, but not until it has still lived long enough to kill you first.
There is a pretty big black bear on our property. I would be most worried about a mom with cubs. She's not going to stop just because you shot her.

I've seen aggressive black bear stalking people on Youtube. Scary shit. Yea, I think if you have a big stick you can probably keep it at bay. But BOY would I be scared. And it can probably sense that.

I remember watching a show where a small blackbear wandered into a couples home. It attacked the wife and her 300 pound husband fought it off but not before it kicked his ass. Then for some reason it came back and it happened again. The guy said the bear was soooo much stronger than him and he was 300 pounds and the bear wasn't that big.

BTW, let's say you are 200 pounds. A black bear (your smallest bear) might weight 400 pounds (medium size). Such a bear probably has around 4X the capacity to take a bullet than you do and people have been known to survive a .45. So, a .45 might kill a black bear immediately, within a few minutes, or just injure it to where it might eventually die of infection or something days or weeks later. Meanwhile, it might just be really pissed off now and it can run faster and climb higher than you can.

And while black bears generally try to avoid man, every other bear is even bigger and meaner. You really want firepower running into a bear, a .44 mag, a .50 ca, or a long gun like a 30-06 or bigger.

I'm fond of living.

I don't buy this story. He threw a log and hit it in the head and that killed the bear??​

Ex-Marine Kills 300-Pound Bear With Log​

"From out of nowhere we heard this loud crash," Everhart said on "Good Morning America." "For a second, I didn't know what it was, but I realized it was a bear. I went to the back of the Jeep to get my pots and pans to scare the bear off."

At the same time, Everhart's 6-year-old son, Logan, tried to frighten the animal. Instead of running away, the bear turned on the boy. Logan's brother, Kyle, tried to help him.

Realizing his sons could be killed, Everhart grabbed a log and threw it at the bear's head, striking and killing him.

"I forgot all about pots and pans and picked up whatever I could to try to distract, fend off, do what I could to get this bear away," Everhart said.

The Georgia campsite incident is the latest in a string of bear attacks. One week ago in Utah's American Fork Canyon, 11-year-old Sam Ives died after a black bear dragged him from his tent and fatally mauled him.

The same bear ripped through another couple's tent hours before the attack. It was later killed and airlifted out of the park.

I'm fond of living.
Sonny Pumphrey never thought in his 78 years he would get into a fistfight with a 300-pound mama black bear, but when claw came to shove, Pumphrey decided he was going down swinging.

Pumphrey was working in his driveway Tuesday afternoon off Liberty Church Road in the White Oak Mountain community, blowing leaves and taking cell phone photos of the new carlift he had installed so he could tinker on his 1929 Ford truck.

When he looked up from his phone, he was mere feet away from a mother black bear and two yearling cubs.

“The mother turned and looked at me and all of a sudden she run at me at full charge,” Pumphrey said Friday morning. “I couldn’t’ run to the right and I couldn’t run to the left, it was too far. There’s a cliff behind me, I couldn’t jump off of that. She reared up with her claws and started to bite me.

“I’m 6 feet tall and I was looking at her eye to eye. Maybe it was instinct, I have no idea where that came from, but I hit that bear as hard as I could. I was lucky. I caught her right on the nose.”

What ensued was what Pumphrey described as the fight of his life. The punch to the nose took the mama bear back down to all fours, but then she went at his lower half, biting and clawing at his overalls.

“I just kept hitting that bear. I fought that bear like I would fight a man,” Pumphrey said. “I kept slugging her on top of her head, fighting for my life. She finally got a hold of me and bit me on my hip. Then she let go, then she slapped me and knocked me about 8 feet down on the ground. She grabbed me like a rag doll and shook me.

“I crawled about 20 feet up to the car, and she was standing over me. That’s when my wife came bursting out the door, screaming and hollering with our 3-pound Yorkie, Bella, who was after that bear.”

Sonny, who said his only fighting experience was “street fighting” as a kid growing up in Texas, is also a scuba diver. He was taught that if a shark got too close, to punch it in the nose and applied that logic to his furry mammal fighting tactics.

1724951083239.png

There is a pretty big black bear on our property. I would be most worried about a mom with cubs. She's not going to stop just because you shot her.
Black bears can run up over 600 pounds. Nothing to fuck with. Heaven help you if it is a mother with cubs.

I think if you have a big stick you can probably keep it at bay. But BOY would I be scared. And it can probably sense that.
Only way a stick is going to deter any bear is if it is just curious about you and doesn't really want you. But by the time you find out, it will be too late.

It attacked the wife and her 300 pound husband fought it off but not before it kicked his ass. Then for some reason it came back and it happened again. The guy said the bear was soooo much stronger than him and he was 300 pounds and the bear wasn't that big.
A 300 pound bear probably has easily 4X the strength of any human if not more. It is no contest. You are a toy in its hands. Might as well fight a Terminator. If that bear gave up on that husband, then consider that dude lucky. The bear really didn't want him. A bear fighting you is like you fighting an 11 year old girl.

Ex-Marine Kills 300-Pound Bear With Log​

I suppose it is possible. Let's say it was a 100-150 pound log and the Marine threw it from an elevated position or in an arc that it had several feet of arc to fall before striking the bear in the top of the head. Then the log gains in kinetic energy ( a falling weight carries much more force than it simply laid on you) and could deliver quite a lot of kinetic energy on impact.

Throwing a 150 pound log 6 feet falling at 20 mph at impact might deliver 675 foot-pounds of force. Hitting a bear straight on in the head, that might be enough to crush its skull or break its neck.

Forum List

Back