Gun Control for Dummies

Ban semi-automatic weapons, as well as more than 10 rounds?

That's insane, that would make most handguns illegal.

Granny says is `cause dat do-nothin' Congress ain't doin' nothin' `bout it...
:eusa_eh:
Courts are likely to get last word on gun control
Sunday, March 3, 2013 - Legal challenges filed as laws enacted
With congressional action on gun control largely stuck in a holding pattern on Capitol Hill, the real battlefields on the issue may become local, state and federal courtrooms. The New York attorney general’s office is due before the state Supreme Court next month to defend the constitutionality of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s tough new gun control package, and two separate appellate courts recently issued opposing opinions on whether the Second Amendment guarantees the right to carry a concealed weapon in public.

Mr. Cuomo signed sweeping gun control measures into law in January that included a beefed-up ban on so-called assault weapons and a limit on magazine capacity to a maximum of seven rounds of ammunition — even less than the 10-round limit proposed by President Obama. But Buffalo lawyer James Tresmond is arguing on behalf of two gun owners that the law amounts to an unconstitutional seizure of property under the Fifth and 14th amendments to the U.S. Constitution.

State Supreme CourtJustice Diane Devlin has ordered the state to show cause by April 25 — when oral arguments are scheduled — though the state attorney general's office plans to respond by mid-March. Mr. Tresmond also has represented a gun dealer in a separate case challenging the law, with a hearing set for late April.

Illinois concealed carry

Ban semi-automatic weapons, as well as more than 10 rounds?

That's insane, that would make most handguns illegal.

Well, TBH, it's more insane to make AWs illegal and keep the handguns since the overwhelming majority of all homicides are the direct result of your basic 6-shooter. Instead of "protecting" 10% of all those killed, doesn't it make more sense to "protect" 90%?

The government can regulate clip size, universal registration, universal background checks, type of weapon, etc (check Heller, Miller, Lewis), but it cannot come and take the guns you already own.

The government can regulate clip size, universal registration, universal background checks, type of weapon, etc (check Heller, Miller, Lewis), but it cannot come and take the guns you already own.

Denver, CO said that when they banned pit bulls too.

Then, when they didn't get the reduction in dogs they were looking for, they pulled out the registrations and went door to door, confiscating any dog that even looked like it could be a pit bull.

Never underestimate what the government will do in your best interest.

Then, when they didn't get the reduction in dogs they were looking for, they pulled out the registrations and went door to door, confiscating any dog that even looked like it could be a pit bull.

Well, a pit bull is not a fire arm and not protected by the 2d Amendment.

Speaking of having such animals in neighborhoods with children, many years ago I had a neighbor who apparently (I can't prove it) would not abide such animals in proximity. Every last one of them disappeared or died over a several year period. Amazing coincidence.

Speaking of having such animals in neighborhoods with children, many years ago I had a neighbor who apparently (I can't prove it) would not abide such animals in proximity. Every last one of them disappeared or died over a several year period. Amazing coincidence.

I guess you missed the point - it isn't what's being banned, it's the lengths our protectors will go in order that we are sufficiently protected. If that means using legal gun registrations to go door to door, then so be it.

Miller vs. U.S. says they can't touch firearms that are commonly used with the militia.

So, firearms that are protected by the second amendment can't be touched?

They can be regulated: Heller, Lewis, and Miller demonstrate that.

If you mean collected by "touched", no, I don't people can be forced to turn in traditional weapons.

In other words: your neighbor is a psycho.

In other words, I believe he took the law into his hands, just like a wild-eyed reactionary on the far right.

They can be regulated: Heller, Lewis, and Miller demonstrate that.

If you mean collected by "touched", no, I don't people can be forced to turn in traditional weapons.
Well discuss this
http://www.usmessageboard.com/6905457-post19.html

I have been waiting for ten hours for bigrebnc to respond. We will give it another hour, since he responded with nonsense a few minutes ago, and if he doesn't, he fails.

Forum List

Back