Gun culture or parenting culture?

She said he was carrying it for protection. Why do you hate the 2nd Amendment?
Good to see you be honest and support everyone carrying guns. So, since you support 16 year olds carrying guns, how about 15 year olds? 12 year olds? How low will you go?

Two-year olds have proven themselves capable of defending themselves.

Report: Toddlers shooting people at faster rate in 2016
Are you too supporting children with guns?

While children are protected by the Constitution, SCOTUS has clearly ruled that children don't have the same rights as adults such as voting, choosing where to live, parental rights, etc.

Where do you want to draw the line on children and parents? Parental responsibility? If that 2 year old or 16 year old shot and killed someone, should the parents be held responsible? The mother in the OP?

How else will a two-year-old defend themselves from their mean mommy? They don't want to nap!

Of course, is Mom is also armed, then it's fair. What's that saying? "An armed family is a polite family."

GUN012.png

While I agree that all of this is cultural, disagreed that the mother justified anything

I disagree with your disagreement. She said this:

He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection.

That's what you need for protection? That sure sounds like justification to me. If I were caught with a gun as a kid, my mother sure as hell would never say that, and my dad would have kicked my as from one end of the house to the other.
True, she said that. I was looking more at her statement "I don't consider it a good thing."

The bottom line here is that, IMO, she seems to have given up on her son and is abdicating her responsibilities as a parent for his behavior.

This just supports my contention that the Republicans are wrong to be against abortion since, obviously, some people shouldn't be parents. Usually the least qualified have the most kids. That's quite a dilemma!

I found a local gun story that I wanted to share because the accused is a minor. Kids with guns are not all that unusual (especially here in Cleveland) but what I found most telling is the response of the mother.

In short, this kid was arrested for having BB gun in a public park (very similar to the Tamir Rice situation) a year earlier. The judge went easy on the kid, but now the 16 year old was busted having a real loaded gun. Here are some quotes from the mother:

"He has to learn the right way. I can't stop him." When the I TEAM asked where he got the gun this time, his mother said, "I don't know. Don't know. He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection. I don't consider it a good thing."

That mom says she did talk to her son before the Parma BB gun incident and after it. Didn’t matter. She said, “Kids these days need to learn their own lessons. He's learning his lessons."

Teen caught with BB gun at Parma park now busted with gun; mom says she can’t stop him

With the path this kid is on, it's more than likely he'll be dead or in prison for murder the next decade. Then the left will blame the guns.

Another thing that struck me: she said "I don't know, and I can't stop him." Not "We can't stop him" as if there was a father figure around. This woman practically justified her son illegally carrying a likely stolen gun underage. When he gets older and arrested for shooting somebody, I'm sure the mother will once again respond to a news interview by saying "My baby didn't do nutting wrong, he's a good boy." If he gets gunned down in the street, well........then I guess he "learned his own lessons."

Okay, what's your point here? This is a 16-year-old kid in the US, as such he's been told guns are gods and he "needs" one and he bought it. Nothing unusual, sadly -- it goes on here at USMB every day.

Where we going with this?

Where it was going with this is that guns are not the problem--parents who have this attitude towards raising a child is more the problem than the guns. These women have fatherless kids, and when they get in their teen years, a woman is too weak to control them and the male is not afraid of a woman--even if it's his own mother.

First you don't know the kid is fatherless --- that's your assumption based on her use of a first person singluar pronoun. For all we know she was speaking at the time of her personal relationship with her son, so you made a leap there.

Second, of course she can't control him -- he's sixteen, and outside culture is an overwhelmingly powerful influence regardless of age. She (apparently) is not the one who gave him the idea to depend on firearms in the first place, agreed?

He got that idea from the culture. From the endless TV shows, the movies, the video games, the toys, the everyday language metaphors, the romanticized histories, all of them relentlessly pushing the idea that one solves one's problems by shooting at them. That's what she can't control, because as a cultural "value" it's beyond any individual's ability to control, whether they're a parent or the law or even a peer ---- since those peers have been indoctrinated into the same culture.

One thing two people who may be shooting at each other nevertheless fully agree on is the idea that "guns are the way to go". Which is exactly why the idea that "the answer to gun violence is MORE gun violence" is absurd on its face.

Really? You mean it was the right that promoted single-parent families? It was the right that told women to give up their husband for a job? The right promoted that???

well, let's look at that.

Used to be, men belonged to a union, they brought home good union wages, and mom could stay home with the kids.

Then Republicans thought that was a terrible idea, because those rich people couldn't afford Dressage Horses if they actually had to PAY the people who did the work, so they spent decades dismantling unions and the middle class.

So it wasn't that they "gave up their husbands" so much as they got jobs to make the money their husbands weren't making anymore.

But frankly, this is a good thing. Better than having no skills when your husband dumps you for a younger trophy wife when all the kids are grown.

Maybe.......just maybe if this kid had a father around, he might not be in trouble today. Maybe.....just maybe, with a husband and father, they would be able to afford a nicer area to live with two incomes.

That kind of sounds like a problem with men in general, doesn't it? Maybe the father isn't around because a racist cop threw him in prison after planting a bag of pot on him. It seems to me that if you had a situation where blacks could get the good jobs whites used to be able to get, you wouldn't have these issues.

Then again, the conservative solution is to make whites just as bad off as the blacks... and then cut everyone's government assistance.

Which is why Ray whines he can't get health care and he's made people poorer than him can.

Funny, I see plenty of people raise good kids with both parents working. The key is having a father figure around in the first place.

Most all of us males had our ass kicked, or at the very least, had great fear of our fathers. Even if both parents were not around, you worried about doing something wrong and them finding out about it.

Our culture didn't change just because of pay. N.O.W. (a liberal organization) pushed and pushed for single parent homes. They promoted that a man is only a sperm donor, and that's all women need them around for. Remember? A woman is just as strong as a man.

Today both parents have to work in some situations, but most parents work for financial advantage, or as you liberals like to call--greed.

Yes, two family incomes can range anywhere from 75K to 250K on average. In other words, money is not always the reason a woman goes out to work and not stay home with the kids. It's an option in many cases, but they still do it.

in your world only the police (government) and criminals would have guns. Would you feel safe? Part of the reason for the 2nd amendment is so that citizens can protect themselves from the government. They saw the results of over-powerful governments in Europe, that's why they put the 2nd in the constitution.

That's actually retarded.

The thing is, the government will always have more guns, bigger guns and the ability to use them, and we almost never hold the government accountable for shooting people when they do.

Hey, how many people went to jail for Waco? Oh, that's right, the only people who went to jail were the Branch Davidians who survived!
By far the largest backers of the Second Amendment are military, police and fire... they will go with the us citizens 100% of the time against an oppressive giant federal government.
Anyway, firearms can't make anybody do anything. Jack weed

I found a local gun story that I wanted to share because the accused is a minor. Kids with guns are not all that unusual (especially here in Cleveland) but what I found most telling is the response of the mother.

In short, this kid was arrested for having BB gun in a public park (very similar to the Tamir Rice situation) a year earlier. The judge went easy on the kid, but now the 16 year old was busted having a real loaded gun. Here are some quotes from the mother:

"He has to learn the right way. I can't stop him." When the I TEAM asked where he got the gun this time, his mother said, "I don't know. Don't know. He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection. I don't consider it a good thing."

That mom says she did talk to her son before the Parma BB gun incident and after it. Didn’t matter. She said, “Kids these days need to learn their own lessons. He's learning his lessons."

Teen caught with BB gun at Parma park now busted with gun; mom says she can’t stop him

With the path this kid is on, it's more than likely he'll be dead or in prison for murder the next decade. Then the left will blame the guns.

Another thing that struck me: she said "I don't know, and I can't stop him." Not "We can't stop him" as if there was a father figure around. This woman practically justified her son illegally carrying a likely stolen gun underage. When he gets older and arrested for shooting somebody, I'm sure the mother will once again respond to a news interview by saying "My baby didn't do nutting wrong, he's a good boy." If he gets gunned down in the street, well........then I guess he "learned his own lessons."

Okay, what's your point here? This is a 16-year-old kid in the US, as such he's been told guns are gods and he "needs" one and he bought it. Nothing unusual, sadly -- it goes on here at USMB every day.

Where it was going with this is that guns are not the problem--parents who have this attitude towards raising a child is more the problem than the guns. These women have fatherless kids, and when they get in their teen years, a woman is too weak to control them and the male is not afraid of a woman--even if it's his own mother.

First you don't know the kid is fatherless --- that's your assumption based on her use of a first person singluar pronoun. For all we know she was speaking at the time of her personal relationship with her son, so you made a leap there.

Second, of course she can't control him -- he's sixteen, and outside culture is an overwhelmingly powerful influence regardless of age. She (apparently) is not the one who gave him the idea to depend on firearms in the first place, agreed?

He got that idea from the culture. From the endless TV shows, the movies, the video games, the toys, the everyday language metaphors, the romanticized histories, all of them relentlessly pushing the idea that one solves one's problems by shooting at them. That's what she can't control, because as a cultural "value" it's beyond any individual's ability to control, whether they're a parent or the law or even a peer ---- since those peers have been indoctrinated into the same culture.

One thing two people who may be shooting at each other nevertheless fully agree on is the idea that "guns are the way to go". Which is exactly why the idea that "the answer to gun violence is MORE gun violence" is absurd on its face.

If the father was around, why didn't the news interview him? It was no accident that she used "I" instead of "we." There probably hasn't been a "we" in that family since the kid was able to talk.

The out-of-wedlock birth rate in the black community is nearly 70% today, so it is reasonable to assume there is no father around in such a situation. I live in a black community. I listen to our police on the internet police scanner. Most of our calls are about kids, half of them reported by the mothers who can't control the them. In fact, our city had to make a law that you are only allowed three calls to the police a year. After that, they start to charge the home owner fees for more police visits. Our Council had to make that law because the police became the surrogate fathers of these kids.

While I agree that all of this is cultural, disagreed that the mother justified anything

I disagree with your disagreement. She said this:

He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection.

That's what you need for protection? That sure sounds like justification to me. If I were caught with a gun as a kid, my mother sure as hell would never say that, and my dad would have kicked my as from one end of the house to the other.
True, she said that. I was looking more at her statement "I don't consider it a good thing."

The bottom line here is that, IMO, she seems to have given up on her son and is abdicating her responsibilities as a parent for his behavior.

This just supports my contention that the Republicans are wrong to be against abortion since, obviously, some people shouldn't be parents. Usually the least qualified have the most kids. That's quite a dilemma!

"I don't consider it a good thing" sounds like she's almost on the fence about it.

I don't know if abortion is the answer. After all, it's been legal in this country for decades, and we still have quite a problem.

Make no mistake about it...Low iQ ghetto parents are the root problem in this country.
They're way too busy smoking weed, drinking 40's and growing their baby daddy count to increase the welfare yield. REAL parenting is hard work...ghetto trash have more time than anyone but no time to invest in their children.

There is more to it than a parenting problem. There's a society problem.

In what world do kids think they need weapons to protect themselves? Well, in a society that is failing to protect people, to instill morals into kids and all of that.

The right love to say how it's the parents' fault. The problem is that the right will also push the very same parents to work 80 hours a week so the rich can get richer. They also don't place any responsibility on schools to help deal with all the issues out there. So, the right essentially like to create the environment for this kind of thing, and then bitch and moan that the parents aren't doing anything about it.

Really? You mean it was the right that promoted single-parent families? It was the right that told women to give up their husband for a job? The right promoted that???

Well if it's a society problem and the mother was correct in saying he needed the gun for protection, why not give every 16 year old in the ghetto a gun for protection? After all, it's not a parenting issue now is it?

Maybe.......just maybe if this kid had a father around, he might not be in trouble today. Maybe.....just maybe, with a husband and father, they would be able to afford a nicer area to live with two incomes.

The world changed. The world went from being a subsistence farming world of near slaves, or surfs or whatever you want to call them. People for thousands of years worked the land, lived under a powerful landlord who was, for the slaves/surfs/underlings, above the law. He was only below the law when it came to those who were higher up.

But the world changed. Along came industry. Along came a migration away from the farms. Suddenly things were changing in a manner that went away from what the Church new and how to deal with. However under the subsistence farming world, people worked a lot, had as many kids as they could. They didn't have time to go fucking around too much, and their world was so small that everyone would know about it. The cities changed this, they changed a lot.

What you're talking about seems to be the right wishing to keep everything as it was. Perhaps. And they did desire married people. However they also desired people working massive amounts of hours. The two don't fit together.

Were liberals pushing for change? Sure they were. The American Revolution was a push for change, the Constitution was change. Did this change have an impact on family life? Sure it did. But are you suggesting that we should have remained subsistence farmers, living miserable lives, just so that we'd stay married?

Yeah, we could give every 16 year old a gun for protection, and then perhaps we could give them 10 ounces of crack cocaine so they don't have to go stealing in order to get their fix. Yeah, that'll work, then we can lock them up for possessing the thing we just gave them too, and then they'll be safe in prison, right? Because prisons are safe places....

Come off it.....

Me come off of it? Maybe take your own advice.

People didn't leave the farmlands fifteen years ago. That was many years ago and we've had cities long before I was born, yet never a problem back then.

So what changed? For one, allowing kids to think they have rights over adults, but more importantly is the single-parent households. Single-parent households are directly related to poverty. There is nothing good about them when it comes to children.

White trash.

She said he was carrying it for protection. Why do you hate the 2nd Amendment?

Right, for protection. Don't try that guilt trip on me. The second amendment doesn't give kids a constitutional right to illegally carry a firearm. That's why the kid is in jail today.

Does the 2nd have an age limit?

Most of our rights do. That's why 10 year olds cannot vote; although I'm sure the Democrats would love it if they could.

The constitution originally limited the right to vote to 21. The 14th amendment lowered it to 18.

Yes, but rights come with responsibilities; responsibilities that children are not capable of exercising such as the right to vote. After all, the Constitution makes no mention about felons, but the court ruled that it's constitutional to have such restrictions of felons owning or using firearms.

If the father was around, why didn't the news interview him? It was no accident that she used "I" instead of "we." There probably hasn't been a "we" in that family since the kid was able to talk.

The out-of-wedlock birth rate in the black community is nearly 70% today, so it is reasonable to assume there is no father around in such a situation. I live in a black community. I listen to our police on the internet police scanner. Most of our calls are about kids, half of them reported by the mothers who can't control the them. In fact, our city had to make a law that you are only allowed three calls to the police a year. After that, they start to charge the home owner fees for more police visits. Our Council had to make that law because the police became the surrogate fathers of these kids.
The news article did not say anything about race.

In that case usually they are white.

In this case white trash.

White trash.

No, the article points out that the mother lives on the east side of Cleveland which is almost entirely black.

and he "needs" one and he bought it.

He "needs" one because walking down the street in his neighborhood isn't safe, and no one seems to have a workable plan to make it safe for him

Yes, but rights come with responsibilities; responsibilities that children are not capable of exercising such as the right to vote. After all, the Constitution makes no mention about felons, but the court ruled that it's constitutional to have such restrictions of felons owning or using firearms.
Parents need to teach their kids gun laws and gun safety rules.

In this case an unsupervised kid has no business with a gun.

Knife ok.

Gun no.

He "needs" one because walking down the street in his neighborhood isn't safe, and no one seems to have a workable plan to make it safe for him

Yes, we all know what his conclusion is. I thought we''re trying to move past that.
As in ---- what drove him TO that conclusion.

That's just an excuse the mother made up. I'm sure there are plenty of kids that don't need a gun for protection.

Most of the shootings take place at night. Have your kid home by dark and he won't need a gun to protect himself.

Using the term "gun culture" to describe a kid toting a handgun on the mean streets of inner city Cleveland is like using the term "horticulture" to describe a marijuana plantation. Maybe people are so influenced by left wing propaganda that they just throw out meaningless cliches like "gun culture" when they mean criminal illegal behavior connected to gang culture.

Why didn't the news interview him? Who knows? Perhaps it was daytime and he was at work? But again, that's another speculation based on nothing and equal to your "absence of evidence is evidence of absence" assumption. Just as worthless. I don't see a point in reaching conclusions based on speculations.

If you're driving to Louisville do you drive in a random direction based on the speculation that it "may" be this way? No -- you use the known facts.

The out-of-wedlock birth rate in the black community is nearly 70% today, so it is reasonable to assume there is no father around in such a situation.

Again the key word is "assume".

And even discounting that --- is there some reason to believe a father --- i.e. every father there ever was --- is automatically empowered to "control" what a mother can't? Again -- another assumption.

White trash.

No, the article points out that the mother lives on the east side of Cleveland which is almost entirely black.
Ok. Then the kid is just unfortunately uncivilized.

Poor black kid.

Forum List

Back