Gun culture or parenting culture?

Using the term "gun culture" to describe a kid toting a handgun on the mean streets of inner city Cleveland is like using the term "horticulture" to describe a marijuana plantation. Maybe people are so influenced by left wing propaganda that they just throw out meaningless cliches like "gun culture" when they mean criminal illegal behavior connected to gang culture.

Gun culture is a liberal term. That's why I used it. Gotta piss them off on a Saturday. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Using the term "gun culture" to describe a kid toting a handgun on the mean streets of inner city Cleveland is like using the term "horticulture" to describe a marijuana plantation. Maybe people are so influenced by left wing propaganda that they just throw out meaningless cliches like "gun culture" when they mean criminal illegal behavior connected to gang culture.
Agree.

When I think of gun culture I think of the white south.

When I think of dope culture I think of Negroes.

I found a local gun story that I wanted to share because the accused is a minor. Kids with guns are not all that unusual (especially here in Cleveland) but what I found most telling is the response of the mother.

In short, this kid was arrested for having BB gun in a public park (very similar to the Tamir Rice situation) a year earlier. The judge went easy on the kid, but now the 16 year old was busted having a real loaded gun. Here are some quotes from the mother:

"He has to learn the right way. I can't stop him." When the I TEAM asked where he got the gun this time, his mother said, "I don't know. Don't know. He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection. I don't consider it a good thing."

That mom says she did talk to her son before the Parma BB gun incident and after it. Didn’t matter. She said, “Kids these days need to learn their own lessons. He's learning his lessons."

Teen caught with BB gun at Parma park now busted with gun; mom says she can’t stop him

With the path this kid is on, it's more than likely he'll be dead or in prison for murder the next decade. Then the left will blame the guns.

Another thing that struck me: she said "I don't know, and I can't stop him." Not "We can't stop him" as if there was a father figure around. This woman practically justified her son illegally carrying a likely stolen gun underage. When he gets older and arrested for shooting somebody, I'm sure the mother will once again respond to a news interview by saying "My baby didn't do nutting wrong, he's a good boy." If he gets gunned down in the street, well........then I guess he "learned his own lessons."

Okay, what's your point here? This is a 16-year-old kid in the US, as such he's been told guns are gods and he "needs" one and he bought it. Nothing unusual, sadly -- it goes on here at USMB every day.

Where we going with this?
and he "needs" one and he bought it.

He "needs" one because walking down the street in his neighborhood isn't safe, and no one seems to have a workable plan to make it safe for him

Yes, we all know what his conclusion is. I thought we''re trying to move past that.
As in ---- what drove him TO that conclusion.
living in his neighborhood?

Seeing gangbangers running things?

Drive-by shootings?

Personal experience?

I found a local gun story that I wanted to share because the accused is a minor. Kids with guns are not all that unusual (especially here in Cleveland) but what I found most telling is the response of the mother.

In short, this kid was arrested for having BB gun in a public park (very similar to the Tamir Rice situation) a year earlier. The judge went easy on the kid, but now the 16 year old was busted having a real loaded gun. Here are some quotes from the mother:

"He has to learn the right way. I can't stop him." When the I TEAM asked where he got the gun this time, his mother said, "I don't know. Don't know. He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection. I don't consider it a good thing."

That mom says she did talk to her son before the Parma BB gun incident and after it. Didn’t matter. She said, “Kids these days need to learn their own lessons. He's learning his lessons."

Teen caught with BB gun at Parma park now busted with gun; mom says she can’t stop him

With the path this kid is on, it's more than likely he'll be dead or in prison for murder the next decade. Then the left will blame the guns.

Another thing that struck me: she said "I don't know, and I can't stop him." Not "We can't stop him" as if there was a father figure around. This woman practically justified her son illegally carrying a likely stolen gun underage. When he gets older and arrested for shooting somebody, I'm sure the mother will once again respond to a news interview by saying "My baby didn't do nutting wrong, he's a good boy." If he gets gunned down in the street, well........then I guess he "learned his own lessons."

Okay, what's your point here? This is a 16-year-old kid in the US, as such he's been told guns are gods and he "needs" one and he bought it. Nothing unusual, sadly -- it goes on here at USMB every day.

He "needs" one because walking down the street in his neighborhood isn't safe, and no one seems to have a workable plan to make it safe for him

That's just an excuse the mother made up. I'm sure there are plenty of kids that don't need a gun for protection.

Most of the shootings take place at night. Have your kid home by dark and he won't need a gun to protect himself.

Maybe the kid has reason to believe differently?

Gun culture is a liberal term. That's why I used it. Gotta piss them off on a Saturday. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

No it's an American term. Specifically US American. That's why we need this kind of examination and (e.g.) Canadians don't.

Yes, we all know what his conclusion is. I thought we''re trying to move past that.

Drive-by shootings?

Personal experience?
STILL not getting it. HELLO, this thing on??

The "conclusion" we're after is ---- what drove him to conclude that those circumstances.......... not feeling safe, gangbangers, the fact that it's Wednesday, whatever .............. are solved by shooting at them?

Clearly his mother didn't give him that idea. ------------- Right?

You skeered of this question or what?

If the father was around, why didn't the news interview him? It was no accident that she used "I" instead of "we." There probably hasn't been a "we" in that family since the kid was able to talk.

Why didn't the news interview him? Who knows? Perhaps it was daytime and he was at work? But again, that's another speculation based on nothing and equal to your "absence of evidence is evidence of absence" assumption. Just as worthless. I don't see a point in reaching conclusions based on speculations.

If you're driving to Louisville do you drive in a random direction based on the speculation that it "may" be this way? No -- you use the known facts.

The out-of-wedlock birth rate in the black community is nearly 70% today, so it is reasonable to assume there is no father around in such a situation.

Again the key word is "assume".

And even discounting that --- is there some reason to believe a father --- i.e. every father there ever was --- is automatically empowered to "control" what a mother can't? Again -- another assumption.

Sure, it's an assumption, but I know this area very well.

I do think that male children have much more fear of their parents if both live at home because of the father. I believe that a father actively helping raise the child would have resulted in this kid going nowhere near a gun yet alone carrying one.

If you are married and go out with your wife to a family doing or something, try using the term "I raised my child" instead of "we raised our child" and see if she talks to you on the way home or at the very least, corrects you in front of everybody.

So I made assumptions based on what she actually said, what statistics show, and that she nor the news ever mentioned him.

No it's an American term. Specifically US American. That's why we need this kind of examination and (e.g.) Canadians don't.

It's an American liberal term. As for the rest of us, we don't consider gun ownership some kind of culture.

If the father was around, why didn't the news interview him? It was no accident that she used "I" instead of "we." There probably hasn't been a "we" in that family since the kid was able to talk.

Why didn't the news interview him? Who knows? Perhaps it was daytime and he was at work? But again, that's another speculation based on nothing and equal to your "absence of evidence is evidence of absence" assumption. Just as worthless. I don't see a point in reaching conclusions based on speculations.

If you're driving to Louisville do you drive in a random direction based on the speculation that it "may" be this way? No -- you use the known facts.

The out-of-wedlock birth rate in the black community is nearly 70% today, so it is reasonable to assume there is no father around in such a situation.

Again the key word is "assume".

And even discounting that --- is there some reason to believe a father --- i.e. every father there ever was --- is automatically empowered to "control" what a mother can't? Again -- another assumption.

Sure, it's an assumption, but I know this area very well.

I do think that male children have much more fear of their parents if both live at home because of the father. I believe that a father actively helping raise the child would have resulted in this kid going nowhere near a gun yet alone carrying one.

If you are married and go out with your wife to a family doing or something, try using the term "I raised my child" instead of "we raised our child" and see if she talks to you on the way home or at the very least, corrects you in front of everybody.

So I made assumptions based on what she actually said, what statistics show, and that she nor the news ever mentioned him.

If you're being interviewed and it's just you and the interviewer, you have every reason to use either "I" or "we", depending on whose actions you're talking about in that moment. That single snippet doesn't indicate anything, especially not having the context of the conversation at the time.

And again, regardless of that, you're still assuming that a male parent is somehow omnipotent while a female one is powerless. That's another blanket assumption. As long as we're fueling on assumptions we may as well throw in that sons tend to bond to their mothers more than their fathers. Again, another speculation on background we don't have.

That's just an excuse the mother made up. I'm sure there are plenty of kids that don't need a gun for protection.

Most of the shootings take place at night. Have your kid home by dark and he won't need a gun to protect himself.

Maybe the kid has reason to believe differently?

Yes, he could be selling drugs on the street and needs it so he does't get rolled. But I think you're going out on a limb here making your assumption as am I with mine.

It's an American liberal term. As for the rest of us, we don't consider gun ownership some kind of culture.

Nor do I but that's not what it means.
What it actually does mean has already been articulated here, and that is, the idea that one solves one's problems by shooting at them. Including occasionally, oneself. The whole "might makes right" mentality.

That issue is a subheading under the greater masculinity issue.

Anyway that's why the term "gun culture" applies to the fetishistic abuse of firearms, and not to ownership, hunting or target shooting.

And again, regardless of that, you're still assuming that a male parent is somehow omnipotent while a female one is powerless.

Yep, I do because I've seen it so frequently. And again, I listen to my police scanner all the time. Seldom do I ever hear a father calling the police on his children. It's mostly mothers who can't control their children.

What it actually does mean has already been articulated here, and that is, the idea that one solves one's problems by shooting at them. Including occasionally, oneself. The whole "might makes right" mentality.

But we don't have a society that believes in shooting somebody solves problems. Only a minority of our people actually feel that way, and they become criminals after they do shoot somebody. A culture would indicate that we approve of shooting people for no reason simply because guns are a part of everybody's life in America.

Drive-by shootings?

Personal experience?

The "conclusion" we're after is ---- what drove him to conclude that those circumstances.......... not feeling safe, gangbangers, the fact that it's Wednesday, whatever .............. are solved by shooting at them?

Are you "skeered" of the answer?

Do you think he's a moron?

He sees what's happening in the streets in his area.

How should he protect himself?

ball bat?

Supermans cape?

Green Lanterns ring?

Get escorted everywhere by a cop?

(that might actually get more people shooting in his direction)

Cower in his room?

Hide in the basement?

Stick his fingers in his ears and :lalala:

The young man apparently has no desire to be a victim.

But we don't have a society that believes in shooting somebody solves problems. Only a minority of our people actually feel that way, and they become criminals after they do shoot somebody. A culture would indicate that we approve of shooting people for no reason simply because guns are a part of everybody's life in America.

Oh but we absolutely do.

Having a sick culture doesn't mean every last person subscribes to it. Nor does it mean those who do will always act on it.

But it does mean when some loser feels powerless and seeks revenge for it, everything they've been taught since birth tells them, grab an AK and mow down some children or some shoppers or some random crowd. Once in a while, they follow through on it.

Drive-by shootings?

Personal experience?

ball bat?

Supermans cape?

Green Lanterns ring?

Cower in his room?

Hide in the basement?

I'll take this as a "yes" --- you're skeered of the quesiton. I dumbed it down to a second-grade reading level and you're still running away from it.

Let's try first grade. And another angle.

The kid concludes he needs a gun to be safe. That doesn't make it a fact to be accepted. That makes it his conclusion.

Still there? Running for the door going :lalala: yet?

Now then. *BEFORE* we accept this conclusion as a valid one --- what a concept --- we first ask, how did you arrive at said conclusion.

Please advise if this needs to be dumbed down to Kindergartenish.

Drive-by shootings?

Personal experience?

ball bat?

Supermans cape?

Green Lanterns ring?

Cower in his room?

Hide in the basement?

I'll take this as a "yes" --- you're skeered of the quesiton. I dumbed it down to a second-grade reading level and you're still running away from it.

The kid concludes he needs a gun to be safe. That doesn't make it a fact to be accepted. That makes it his conclusion.

Now then. *BEFORE* we accept this conclusion as a valid one --- what a concept --- we first ask, how did you arrive at said conclusion.

how far do I have to dumb it down for YOU to get it?

so far...

200.gif

Drive-by shootings?

Personal experience?

ball bat?

Supermans cape?

Green Lanterns ring?

Cower in his room?

Hide in the basement?

how far do I have to dumb it down for YOU to get it?

so far...

200.gif

OK I have better things to do with my time than coach some klown who wants to play village idiot.

Have a nice day.

Forum List

Back