Happy Birthday Sarah G.

You're most welcome, Sarah.....

Because this won't fit in a PM and because it's kind of fun, here's the translations:

HBD = Happy Birth Day
MMYTC = Many More Years To Come

You got those easily!

EYSD = Enjoy Your Special Day

So why the abreviations?

For a number of years I did volunteer work with a non-profit radio station in a very rural area. In such areas at the time there was limited telephone service. So, people living "in town" were given the opportunity twice each day to send special messages to friends and family living "in the boonies".

These were taken down by volunteers answering the phone as they also tried to keep the radio station running. There quickly developed a shorthand - involving those abbreviations.

So one, as written, might read:

To Sonny at camp
From Auntie Ruth in town
HBD & MMYTC, EYSD

Plain enough when you remember the code.

But then came the day when a newbie volunteer I was training missed that part of the lesson and read a slew of messages exactly as written.

Immediate horror gave way to grins when there were NO complaints because everybody listening knew the code even when the person reading it out did not.

normal_1289078310.jpg

You're most welcome, Sarah.....

Because this won't fit in a PM and because it's kind of fun, here's the translations:

HBD = Happy Birth Day
MMYTC = Many More Years To Come

You got those easily!

EYSD = Enjoy Your Special Day

So why the abreviations?

For a number of years I did volunteer work with a non-profit radio station in a very rural area. In such areas at the time there was limited telephone service. So, people living "in town" were given the opportunity twice each day to send special messages to friends and family living "in the boonies".

These were taken down by volunteers answering the phone as they also tried to keep the radio station running. There quickly developed a shorthand - involving those abbreviations.

So one, as written, might read:

To Sonny at camp
From Auntie Ruth in town
HBD & MMYTC, EYSD

Plain enough when you remember the code.

But then came the day when a newbie volunteer I was training missed that part of the lesson and read a slew of messages exactly as written.

Immediate horror gave way to grins when there were NO complaints because everybody listening knew the code even when the person reading it out did not.

:lol: ETROYDT :)

Forum List

Back