Happy Fathers Day

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
If nobody has said it to you yet, I hope you have a happy Fathers Day. I was blessed/cursed by circumstance to have two father figures in my life. My biological father and my Grandfather who raised me into adulthood.

As I consider the lessons learned and the lessons lost to time, the examples that were set for me by these two men become clear. I won't say that my biological father and I saw eye-to-eye on most topics. He lost his life before his time was due but the examples of what "not" to do, I think, stuck with me. As for O. D., my grandfather, he never let his feelings for his son's wayward path be cast on me. Perhaps the most enduring example is that you take a measure of a person by what they do and say; not what their friends, family, or comtemporaries do and say.

O.D. passed away recently. When I think of "father", I think of him first. Sometimes I'm ashamed of that, sometimes I'm not.

I wish both were here today so I could tell them that I'm thankful.

Happy Father's Day.

I'm thankful my father is still with us as well as his father.

My FIL was a great guy, no longer with us. He will be missed.

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there!!

Father's Day was officially started in Spokane, where I live at the YMCA for a man who was raising six kids on his own and using the YMCA for help.
His daughter pushed for the day, and spent many years pushing for it to be an official day. The plague still sits at the YMCA, having been moved when they built a new building.

Forum List

Back