Harambe the Gorilla - What the REAL Problem is....

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Too many people have a complete lack of connection the Reality of the Animal World, whether it's wildlife or domestic animals. And, implied in that, is a lack of RESPECT for those animals.

Tigers are not cuddly giant cats - they are apex predators who have evolved to beautifully fit that role and deserve all that respect that entails.

Gorillas, are not humans in fur suits, they are powerful, 400 pount highly intelligent members of another species who may or may not LIKE us (a competing species) and who have their own needs and desires which may or may not include the human species.

All of these animals deserve respect, and that can't happen if people refuse to recognize that they are what they are, and have a right to be what they are and should not be expected to act like humans. Why do so many dogs end up euthanized for "aggression"? Because they are dogs trying their best to exist in a human world and if we refuse to recognize that and help them as dogs instead of expect human behavior, they'll continue to be euthanized.

Excellent article:
The Shooting of Harambe the Gorilla is Part of a Larger Problem

Teaching our kids about nature is important to my wife and me. So, we spend a lot of time at zoos. It doesn’t take long to notice that most people aren’t there to learn anything. Most people who walk through the gates just think they’re going to an amusement park with animals. The result is that zoos are often unpleasant. There is little silence, little room for contemplation, almost no space for serious observation.

Kids run wild. Many, many times we’ve seen entire exhibits descended upon by groups of unruly, poorly supervised children who have little interest in what’s before them. Given this environment, it’s not surprising that a kid at one of the busiest zoos in the nation slipped into an enclosure.

You can criticize the parents. Had they been watching the boy, he wouldn’t have crawled in, he wouldn’t have fallen, and the Cincinnati zoo would have a living male gorilla named Harambe instead of a dead one.

But, if you criticize the parents, you’ve also got to criticize the general cultural ethos that tells people children require less supervision than they actually do. Especially, in the presence of wild animals. That kid’s parents were just doing what I have seen a million other parents do at the zoo: assume that everything is perfectly safe.

Second, the assumption of perfect safety is built on another assumption clearly on display at the zoo. Spend time at any zoo, or even at any local park, and you will see that people assume that the world is made for them, that the whole world exists only as an entertainment, a big show which owes them a happy ending.

When zoo officials shot Harambe, they failed to supply the requisite happy ending. That’s why the women in the picture above are crying. Their tears aren’t so much about the loss of the gorilla as they are about being reminded of how the world actually is.

Looking at animals in a zoo, ought to move us to contemplation, ought to help us to realize our place in creation, ought to bring us into deeper contact with reality. These two stories, the bison in the trunk and the shooting of Harambe, show us how far we are as a society from those ideals.

Many people are so protected from the realities of life that they cannot understand that bad things happen, that not every tragedy can be avoided. They cannot imagine that their own well-intentioned actions could be the cause of such tragedies. They know neither themselves nor the world.

Since there were probably 19 busloads of schoolkids at the zoo that day, (This is what schools do nowadays) they missed an opportunity for a real teachable moment. They should have rounded up all the little kiddies so they could see Harambe tear the little kid to pieces. Then they would have all learned something valuable.

Since there were probably 19 busloads of schoolkids at the zoo that day, (This is what schools do nowadays) they missed an opportunity for a real teachable moment. They should have rounded up all the little kiddies so they could see Harambe tear the little kid to pieces. Then they would have all learned something valuable.

Well they did learn about killing a gorilla because the parents of that toddler weren't watching him.

I'm sure that lesson will stick.

13325734_1133466943340345_6978560062590095859_n.png

there was almost no chance he would have done that ,

Of course. And you'd be happy to bet the life of somebody else's kid on that. I get it.

Of course. And you'd be happy to bet the life of somebody else's kid on that. I get it.
no you don't get it.

Too many people have a complete lack of connection the Reality of the Animal World, whether it's wildlife or domestic animals. And, implied in that, is a lack of RESPECT for those animals.

Tigers are not cuddly giant cats - they are apex predators who have evolved to beautifully fit that role and deserve all that respect that entails.

Gorillas, are not humans in fur suits, they are powerful, 400 pount highly intelligent members of another species who may or may not LIKE us (a competing species) and who have their own needs and desires which may or may not include the human species.

All of these animals deserve respect, and that can't happen if people refuse to recognize that they are what they are, and have a right to be what they are and should not be expected to act like humans. Why do so many dogs end up euthanized for "aggression"? Because they are dogs trying their best to exist in a human world and if we refuse to recognize that and help them as dogs instead of expect human behavior, they'll continue to be euthanized.

Excellent article:
The Shooting of Harambe the Gorilla is Part of a Larger Problem

Teaching our kids about nature is important to my wife and me. So, we spend a lot of time at zoos. It doesn’t take long to notice that most people aren’t there to learn anything. Most people who walk through the gates just think they’re going to an amusement park with animals. The result is that zoos are often unpleasant. There is little silence, little room for contemplation, almost no space for serious observation.

Kids run wild. Many, many times we’ve seen entire exhibits descended upon by groups of unruly, poorly supervised children who have little interest in what’s before them. Given this environment, it’s not surprising that a kid at one of the busiest zoos in the nation slipped into an enclosure.

You can criticize the parents. Had they been watching the boy, he wouldn’t have crawled in, he wouldn’t have fallen, and the Cincinnati zoo would have a living male gorilla named Harambe instead of a dead one.

But, if you criticize the parents, you’ve also got to criticize the general cultural ethos that tells people children require less supervision than they actually do. Especially, in the presence of wild animals. That kid’s parents were just doing what I have seen a million other parents do at the zoo: assume that everything is perfectly safe.

Second, the assumption of perfect safety is built on another assumption clearly on display at the zoo. Spend time at any zoo, or even at any local park, and you will see that people assume that the world is made for them, that the whole world exists only as an entertainment, a big show which owes them a happy ending.

When zoo officials shot Harambe, they failed to supply the requisite happy ending. That’s why the women in the picture above are crying. Their tears aren’t so much about the loss of the gorilla as they are about being reminded of how the world actually is.

Looking at animals in a zoo, ought to move us to contemplation, ought to help us to realize our place in creation, ought to bring us into deeper contact with reality. These two stories, the bison in the trunk and the shooting of Harambe, show us how far we are as a society from those ideals.

Many people are so protected from the realities of life that they cannot understand that bad things happen, that not every tragedy can be avoided. They cannot imagine that their own well-intentioned actions could be the cause of such tragedies. They know neither themselves nor the world.

Yup, it was a tragedy for sure.

You have no way of knowing, and that is exactly what I mean about not respecting the animal for what he is. He was highly aroused, highly agitated by the crowds screaming. Adult male gorillas, when they are agitated, put on huge aggressive displays - throwing things around, ripping up branches - what ever it takes to scare the threat away. The child could well have become part of that display and it does not take much force to seriously injure a human child, they aren't as tough as gorillas.

Of course if the crowd hadn't been screaming, things might have deesculated and Harambe might have left the enclosure to go in with the rest of his family but that did not happen. We primates love to vocalize, scream and get all dramatic. It's in our nature.

This might come off as contrarian, but I agree with the overall theme here coyote. .....

BUT....

In willing to bet the idjits who dont understand the power of an animal arent all THAT numerous.

People watch altogether too many Disney cartoons.

Exactly. People don't realize how dangerous and unpredictable a wild animal can be! Nobody knows how it would have reacted after being shot with a tranquilizer dart either.

And they assumed that the keepers did not weigh everything into account - they loved Harambe, they were the ones that took care of him every day. They would not have shot him unless they felt there was no reasonable alternative.

This might come off as contrarian, but I agree with the overall theme here coyote. .....

BUT....

In willing to bet the idjits who dont understand the power of an animal arent all THAT numerous.

I would hope so but I'm feeling pretty cynical....

People watch altogether too many Disney cartoons.

Exactly. People don't realize how dangerous and unpredictable a wild animal can be! Nobody knows how it would have reacted after being shot with a tranquilizer dart either.

And they assumed that the keepers did not weigh everything into account - they loved Harambe, they were the ones that took care of him every day. They would not have shot him unless they felt there was no reasonable alternative.

Don't forget what a popular attraction he was and all the money he probably made for the zoo. Right, they would not have killed him had that not found it to be absolutely necessary.

BUT....

What i do for the instances of thinking "the worlds lost its common sense/everyone is stewpitt," is sit and take stock of who I know and how many would seriously think its ok and perfectly safe to go and pet a tiger.

Jokes ^ that comment easily sets up aside....

its not that many.

320million peeps, one national zoo story in how long......the odds are so low, we are actually doing well, numerically, in this regard.

BUT....

What i do for the instances of thinking "the worlds lost its common sense/everyone is stewpitt," is sit and take stock of who I know and how many would seriously think its ok and perfectly safe to go and pet a tiger.

its not that many.

320million peeps, one national zoo story in how long......the odds are so low, we are actually doing well, numerically, in this regard.

I think that she is talking about all the people who are outraged that the gorilla was shot and killed and not "tranquilized." They keep saying that the gorilla would not have hurt the child, but that is a pretty risky assumption to make when it comes to the life of a human baby whose parents and others are watching. It takes up to 10 minutes for the tranquilizers to take affect and nobody knows how the gorilla would have reacted after getting shot with a tranquilizer dart. Another person had said it could have even fallen over on top the child and killed the child, and that is very true.

BUT....

its not that many.

I think that she is talking about all the people who are outraged that the gorilla was shot and killed and not "tranquilized." They keep saying that the gorilla would not have hurt the child, but that is a pretty risky assumption to make when it comes to the life of a human baby whose parents and others are watching. It takes up to 10 minutes for the tranquilizers to take affect and nobody knows how the gorilla would have reacted after getting shot with a tranquilizer dart. Another person had said it could have even fallen over on top the child and killed the child, and that is very true.
ahh.

well, i agree he had to be killed in the scenario as described.

chalk it up to shit happens

if harambe was in the wild and killed a kid, know what hed say if he could speak?

evolution bitch

nature of the beast......humans have and deserve the earth as a habitat as much as any other animal does

Forum List

Back