Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

I only assume that they might have called the cops because of latent tendencies. I can't know with any certainty. They might have called just because they saw what appeared to be to men breaking into a house. But they might have called because the men were black. It is a wealthy white neighborhood and it is Boston...I'm just sayin'.

Hey everyone, according to CMM, wealthy white people are racists. What a bigoted thing to say. :eusa_whistle:

Manifold, I never said that wealthy white people are racists. I implied that wealthy white people are more likely to call the cops when black men are apparently breaking in to houses in rich, white neighborhoods. Is that really so unbelievable?

FYI that area of Boston has had a series of daylight burglaries where the thieves made entrance via the front door. In fact 9 in the last 6 months. the cop was simply asking for I.D. the so called academic was the one to first start screaming racism.

And just to sprinkle a little irony on the subject...

We're talking about Cambridge, Massachusetts. If ever there was a ranking of police forces based on highest awareness, sensitivity and adherence to political correctness, Cambridge would probably top the list.

Cops are cops everywhere.

So all cops are assholes and racists except when coming to your aid right?

You'd probably be the first to file suit if they didn't stop a guy from robbing you if they were able.

We can fix this problem quite easily.

Instead of cruisers with one or two cops in them, we should have police buses patrolling the streets and in those buses we will have one officer of every racial and ethnic combination found in the USA. When rolling up to a crime scene only those cops that match the racial and ethnic profiles of the people involved will be allowed off the bus to address the complaint.

:lol::lol::lol:

you're kidding, right?
Um, no. The cops had no right to go into his house unless they believed they were stopping a felony. DC is a misdemeanor. How exactly would they justify arresting someone for disorderly conduct while they were inside that person's house without a warrant?

They had probable cause to go into the house if needed. Please educate yourself on police procedures, until then STFU.
Go fuck yourself. And I mean that in the nicest way.

The fact that the officer's first words to Gates were to ask him to step outside, indicates he intended to arrest him.

You ask them outside for safety. You don't know who else could be in the house or if the suspect has a weapon inside the house.

You should research police procedures before you make such asinine statements.
Maybe you should. You can't arrest someone for disorderly conduct inside their own house...but you can when they are outside, in public.
Exactly, and what the cop called disorderly conduct had not even begun as yet. This cop was avoiding showing his ID.

And just to sprinkle a little irony on the subject...

We're talking about Cambridge, Massachusetts. If ever there was a ranking of police forces based on highest awareness, sensitivity and adherence to political correctness, Cambridge would probably top the list.
I thought they'd gotten in trouble in the past for racial profiling?

IF they did....don't you think that is actually more proof that they are one of the most sensitive forces out there....

Maybe you should. You can't arrest someone for disorderly conduct inside their own house...but you can when they are outside, in public.

:lol::lol::lol:

you're kidding, right?
Um, no. The cops had no right to go into his house unless they believed they were stopping a felony. DC is a misdemeanor. How exactly would they justify arresting someone for disorderly conduct while they were inside that person's house without a warrant?

if the facts as reported are true, they had every right to go into the house as a neighbor reported someone breaking in and there were people in the house...

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this officer did wrong. What did he do that violated standard procedure? What should he have done differently? You can sympathize with Gates all you want (personally I don't), but how exactly does Officer Crowley's actions constitute racism or racial profiling?
He should have told Gates he was investigating a break in at Gate's house. It would have helped prevent the misundersatnding. He should have presented his ID when asked. Otherwise, I see nothing in the police officer's behavior to indicate this had anything to do with race. I don't have sympathy for either. I think this was a case of working class guy versus a professional. Both of whom happened to have big egos and resent having their authority challenged.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. demands apology, sensitivity training - BostonHerald.com <====Click the link to take the poll. 42% say that gates was out of line 24% say the cops were doing their job, the rest say it was the cops who were wrong.

That Professor was yelling at the cops but in a press conference today he said he was calm

3b97c71298_3f14b91aee_gates9234829480.jpg

Just so you guys know this happened in Cambridge MA, one of the most liberal parts of my liberal state. Also there was a black officer present during the arrest so the claims of racism are, like most claims of racism in these type of incidents, bogus.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this officer did wrong. What did he do that violated standard procedure? What should he have done differently? You can sympathize with Gates all you want (personally I don't), but how exactly does Officer Crowley's actions constitute racism or racial profiling?
He should have told Gates he was investigating a break in at Gate's house. It would have helped prevent the misundersatnding. He should have presented his ID when asked. Otherwise, I see nothing in the police officer's behavior to indicate this had anything to do with race. I don't have sympathy for either. I think this was a case of working class guy versus a professional. Both of whom happened to have big egos and resent having their authority challenged.

My buddy is a locksmith and if someone calls him to open a door at a house, the first thing he does is ask for identification as proof that the person actually lives at the address.

i guess he's just another asshole racist too.

jeesh...the cop doesn't know the difference between your and you're.

that is one of the most common grammar mistakes...that you latch onto that as something is telling of your desperation to make this into something bigger than it is

the prof was clearly lacking material, so he creates this whole incident to write a book, i called it right when i read about, lo and behold a day later he tells everyone his going to use this incident to write a book

LOL, this incident is so transparent its laughable that anyone takes it seriously

My buddy is a locksmith and if someone calls him to open a door at a house, the first thing he does is ask for identification as proof that the person actually lives at the address.

i guess he's just another asshole racist too.
Um ...did you read my post? Where do I say the officer was being racist?

Henry Louis Gates Jr. demands apology, sensitivity training - BostonHerald.com <====Click the link to take the poll. 42% say that gates was out of line 24% say the cops were doing their job, the rest say it was the cops who were wrong.

That Professor was yelling at the cops but in a press conference today he said he was calm

3b97c71298_3f14b91aee_gates9234829480.jpg

Just so you guys know this happened in Cambridge MA, one of the most liberal parts of my liberal state. Also there was a black officer present during the arrest so the claims of racism are, like most claims of racism in these type of incidents, bogus.

Take the poll in the link guys ;).

jeesh...the cop doesn't know the difference between your and you're.

that is one of the most common grammar mistakes...that you latch onto that as something is telling of your desperation to make this into something bigger than it is

the prof was clearly lacking material, so he creates this whole incident to write a book, i called it right when i read about, lo and behold a day later he tells everyone his going to use this incident to write a book

LOL, this incident is so transparent its laughable that anyone takes it seriously
You should know Ravi by now. She tosses out stuff like this to get you guys off the track while she thinks up her real comeback. And then, since you ran off chasing to ball she tossed you, you are unprepared to respond to her next post. :lol:

b & e is a felony here in the liberal oasis, so that dog won't hunt, sorry.
I know that. But disorderly conduct isn't a felony.

The cops actually had a reason to go into his house yet they did not...why? Because they knew by looking at him he wasn't a burglar? Then why harass him.

there's no point in any further discussion of this with you. you've decided it's the cop's fault and nothing will make you see it differently.
later

Your suggestion seems reasonable to me, but I don't know enough about police procedures for this kind of situation to say for sure. But it seems that the initial misunderstanding was cleared up rather quickly and I'm more than willing to saddle both of them with half of the blame for it. However, once the misunderstanding was remedied, Gates took the situation as an opportunity to shout racism and berate and harass the officer. And even now he seems determined to ruin the officer's career. In my book that makes him a race baiting, fucking asshole of a douchebag.

b & e is a felony here in the liberal oasis, so that dog won't hunt, sorry.
I know that. But disorderly conduct isn't a felony.

The cops actually had a reason to go into his house yet they did not...why? Because they knew by looking at him he wasn't a burglar? Then why harass him.

there's no point in any further discussion of this with you. you've decided it's the cop's fault and nothing will make you see it differently.
later
:rolleyes: Actually I've been leaning toward the other direction since yesterday.

Forum List

Back