Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

No idea what you mean, Snoogie.
I'm still left with the impression you think all Harvard professors look and act like Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady.

As opposed to fred Sanford?

"Naw, open your text books to page 31 class. Today we'ze gonna read about Thermodynamic, Ya Big Dummy!"

Redd_Foxx1-753176.jpg

:thup:
You're kind of entertaining for a hick.

and you are a helluva dancer for a monkey. I'll take this answer as a "yes, Shogun, you are right once again. I am swooning right now"

If I saw anybody breaking into one of my neighbor's homes, I would call the cops. Why would I be racist if the perpetraters happened to be black?

Not at all. And even if you did call because the perpetrators were black, I still wouldn't think that it automatically makes you a racist. Americans have been trained, taught, brainwashed, whatever you want to call it, by the media and Hollywood and tv that black men are criminals. Not all of them, mind you, just the big, saggy-pants, bandana-wearing, thuggish ones or the ones who look scary(which is dependent on the observer)! I think its more "culturalist" than racist.

Now, if you're neighbor is black and you're wealthy, white and live next door and you see your neighbor and a big black man (the driver) forcing the front door open why are you going to call the cops? Don't you recognize your neighbor, the black Harvard professor? Or does every black man look alike to you and you don't know your black neighbor very well because you don't really interact with him? Perhaps his neighbors called the cops because it looked like someone was breaking into the house and race had nothing to do with it. But there is room for doubt...

If I saw my neighbor breaking in to his own house, I'm not going to call the cops. But I know my black and hispanic neighbors. I talk to them and wave at them and say "Good Morning" or "Hey! How's it going, Lupe?" or "Beautiful day, huh?" while he/she is working in the yard. And they say to me, "Como estas, gringo?" or "Hey, what's up, honkey?" (you know, cause, like, we joke around and stuff) or they say "Chinga tu madre, pan blanco!" and then I say "Bien, bien." and then they say "Callete, juerro!" or "Cerra tu boca, puto!" or "Tu madre juele a mierda!" and I say "Yeah, thanks! You, too!" and we all get along just fine.

Having had a think about this and being as objective as I can, I've decided that Professor Gates is a big sook :D

I think everyone has pretty much come to that same conclusion. It's just that there are a couple here that are afraid it might make them racist to acknowledge it. :lol:

Maybe you should. You can't arrest someone for disorderly conduct inside their own house...but you can when they are outside, in public.

Show me the procedure that states a police officer cannot make a disorderly conduct arrest in an individuals home.

Depends on the law in a jurisdiction doesn't it?

Perhaps, but I'd settle for any police procedure written anywhere in the continental US that made such a distinction.

In full disclosure I've studied criminal justice for four years.

Having had a think about this and being as objective as I can, I've decided that Professor Gates is a big sook :D

I think everyone has pretty much come to that same conclusion. It's just that there are a couple here that are afraid it might make them racist to acknowledge it. :lol:

maybe it would help them if they knew that one of the responding officers (figueroa) is black. then we can shift the conversation from racism to black on black crime, while still ignoring the fact that gates is an elitist, maumauing asshole.

Perhaps his neighbors called the cops because it looked like someone was breaking into the house and race had nothing to do with it. But there is room for doubt...
Apparently the caller reported two big black men with knapsacks on their backs. When it was actually one big black man and one small black man with suitcases.

Perhaps his neighbors called the cops because it looked like someone was breaking into the house and race had nothing to do with it. But there is room for doubt...
Apparently the caller reported two big black men with knapsacks on their backs. When it was actually one big black man and one small black man with suitcases.

Well, she got the black part right at least. :lol:

That's not bad. The memory function is reconstructive, we remember what we think we saw, unless someone has a an eidetic memory they're simply reconstructing impressions.

maybe it would help them if they knew that one of the responding officers (figueroa) is black. then we can shift the conversation from racism to black on black crime, while still ignoring the fact that gates is an elitist, maumauing asshole.
"Figueroa" sounds portagee to me. :lol:

Show me the procedure that states a police officer cannot make a disorderly conduct arrest in an individuals home.

Depends on the law in a jurisdiction doesn't it?

Perhaps, but I'd settle for any police procedure written anywhere in the continental US that made such a distinction.

In full disclosure I've studied criminal justice for four years.

For an arrest to be valid there has to be adherence to the law. I don't know what the law is in Mass. or Tx but where I am a police officer can arrest someone on reasonable suspicion of committing, being about to commit or having committed, any offence - any offence at all. Where I am you can carry on like a two-bob watch in your own home but provided no-one is in danger you won't face arrest. However, it is an offence to behave in a disorderly manner in a public place and it's highly likely that you will be pinched. That's all I know.

I don't swoon for no baboon.

apparently you do. Now. did you want to pinpoint the flaw in my logic or shall I post another hilarious lampoon of your less than insightful condemnation?
Be my guest. Professor Henry Higgins.

Feeling silly yet?

"What? Of course we are having class today, baby flay! Ain't gotta give me none of that class is cancelled if I don't show in fifteen minutes, Mama. Today we be PAINTIN' the economics lesson! DY NO MIIITE!"

com01.jpg

That's not bad. The memory function is reconstructive, we remember what we think we saw, unless someone has a an eidetic memory they're simply reconstructing impressions.
Exactly. So instead of seeing her neighbor and his driver having trouble opening his front door, she saw two black guys breaking and entering. Who know what she would have seen if they were white or even women?
Don't get me wrong. I think she was right to call it in to the police. I'd be grateful if it was my home. But Coloradomntman isn't off base to suggest the caller could possibly have been influenced by stereotyping when she made the decision to call it in.

So what do you call it when someone says that a randomly selected black man is likely to have a lower IQ than a randomly selected white man?

Sorry, didn't see it.

I think its a false analogy. Here's what I mean:

Americans are taught to believe that black men are dangerous. That they are criminals (except the harmless ones like Gary Coleman, Michael Jackson, Erkle [sp.?], etc.). The media for decades presented it that way. Like in Dirty Harry where Clint's eating a hamburger and the bank is being robbed by black men, or in the sequel, Sudden Impact, where he's getting coffee when the diner gets robbed by black men both scenes you should remember because that's when Clint utters those famous one liners:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJPAWG-BC0]YouTube - Dirty Harry - Clint Eastwood[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIi3MRwElrU]YouTube - Sudden Impact (Diner Scene)[/ame]

Or many other movies, tv shows, and even the news. I don't think its so much about the color of their skin as it is that black men have been portrayed this way for so long and people really buy into it.

I also think its "cultural-ism" instead of race-ism. White people aren't part of black culture and vice versa, generally speaking. Who would you be more scared of if you ran into them in a dark alley, a black guy like Carlton, or a white guy like Jay-Z? Remember, Gates' huge black driver was helping him force the front door open. Doesn't Gates' neighbors know him and recognize him? Or did they just see two black guys breaking in and not stop to think about it for a second? Its perceived that the culture of black men that is criminal, and not so much their genetic make-up.

Comparing that with trying to find genetic deficiencies or inequalities between the two races doesn't really, in my opinion, compare the same. One is about perception of a group based on genes (you example) and the other is about how white people in a wealthy neighborhood could likely react due to mis-perception brought about by misrepresentation about a group of people.

Forum List

Back