Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

What a crock of shit!! I've never been taught that black men were dangerous or they were criminals! You folks in Colorado are a bunch of racist!!

Then I guess, in your opinion, we're no better than
Lonestar_logic said:

And using movies to make your point is fucking hilarious.

Great argument, you're a genius!

I was stating that movies, tv, and the media have portrayed black men as criminals and used two movies to illustrate that. How does that NOT support my point?

I guess you folks in Colorado freaked out when Shaft hit the scene huh?

Not as much as you folks in Texas freaked out when Obama won the election!

US election: Republicans in Texas shattered by Obama win | World news | guardian.co.uk

72+Horrified+Red+Neck.jpg

lol, that's rich, using a picture from a Canadian football game to make a point about Texans.

:eek:

You would not believe the comments Obama JUST made about this professor in the closing of his speech tonight.

You would not believe the comments Obama JUST made about this professor in the closing of his speech tonight.

I can't find it any where yet, but FTR -- I think he was out of line with is comments on this case.

Question: Thank you, Mr. President. Recently, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., was arrested at his home in Cambridge. What does that incident say to you and what does it say about race relations in America?
Obama: Well, I should say at the outset that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts.
What's been reported though is that the guy forgot his keys, jimmied his way to get into the house. There was a report called in to the police station that there might be a burglary taking place. So far, so good, right? I mean, if I was trying to jigger into -- well, I guess this is my house now, so...
(Laughter)
... it probably wouldn't happen. But let's say my old house in Chicago.
(Laughter)
Here, I'd get shot.
(Laughter)
But so far, so good. They're -- they're reporting. The police are doing what they should. There's a call. They go investigate what happens.
My understanding is, at that point, Professor Gates is already in his house. The police officer comes in. I'm sure there's some exchange of words. But my understanding is, is that Professor Gates then shows his ID to show that this is his house and, at that point, he gets arrested for disorderly conduct, charges which are later dropped.
Now, I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that. But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact.
As you know, Lynn, when I was in the state legislature in Illinois, we worked on a racial profiling bill because there was indisputable evidence that blacks and Hispanics were being stopped disproportionately. And that is a sign, an example of how, you know, race remains a factor in the society.
That doesn't lessen the incredible progress that has been made. I am standing here as testimony to the progress that's been made. And yet the fact of the matter is, is that, you know, this still haunts us.
And even when there are honest misunderstandings, the fact that blacks and Hispanics are picked up more frequently and often time for no cause casts suspicion even when there is good cause.
And that's why I think the more that we're working with local law enforcement to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias, the safer everybody is going to be.
All right? Thank you, everybody.

I dunno if what he said is right or wrong. But don't you think it's fucked up that he's even asked about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Thank you, Mr. President. Recently, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., was arrested at his home in Cambridge. What does that incident say to you and what does it say about race relations in America?
Obama: Well, I should say {at the outset} that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts.

>>

What's been reported though is that the guy forgot his keys, jimmied his way to get into the house. There was a report called in to the police station that there might be a burglary taking place. So far, so good, right? I mean, if I was trying to jigger into -- well, I guess this is my house now, so...

(Laughter)

(Laughter)

Here, I'd get shot.

(Laughter)

But so far, so good. They're -- they're reporting. The police are doing what they should. There's a call. They go investigate what happens.
My understanding is, at that point, Professor Gates is already in his house. The police officer comes in. I'm sure there's some exchange of words. But my understanding is, is that Professor Gates then shows his ID to show that this is his house and, at that point, he gets arrested for disorderly conduct, charges which are later dropped.
Now, I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that. But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact.

As you know, Lynn, when I was in the state legislature in Illinois, we worked on a racial profiling bill because there was indisputable evidence that blacks and Hispanics were being stopped disproportionately. And that is a sign, an example of how, you know, race remains a factor in the society.

That doesn't lessen the incredible progress that has been made. I am standing here as testimony to the progress that's been made. And yet the fact of the matter is, is that, you know, this still haunts us.

And even when there are honest misunderstandings, the fact that blacks and Hispanics are picked up more frequently and often time for no cause casts suspicion even when there is good cause.

And that's why I think the more that we're working with local law enforcement to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias, the safer everybody is going to be.

I dunno if what he said is right or wrong. But don't you think it's fucked up that he's even asked about this?

Yes, and that he answered at all, never mind what he said which was over the line. He should have stopped where I highlighted above and not made any such judgmental statements about the police in this particular incident.

Last edited:
Obama: Well, I should say at the outset that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts.
(Laughter)
(Laughter)
Here, I'd get shot.
(Laughter)

an appropriately sophisticated leader would have declined comment based on the pending investigation.. for sure now the cop cannot possibly get a fair and impartial ruling.. that's what's fucked.

"Well, I should say {at the outset} that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts."

He makes that clear in the beginning. I think it was a sleazy thing to do to ask him this question. Not a wise thing for him to give such a lengthy answer, but I don't see much to find fault with what he said. Obviously, like he said, he's biased towards believing his friend.

an appropriately sophisticated leader would have declined comment based on the pending investigation.. for sure now the cop cannot possibly get a fair and impartial ruling.. that's what's fucked.
Has the cop been charged with anything?

"Well, I should say {at the outset} that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts."

He makes that clear in the beginning. I think it was a sleazy thing to do to ask him this question. Not a wise thing for him to give such a lengthy answer, but I don't see much to find fault with what he said. Obviously, like he said, he's biased towards believing his friend.

yes, and he just "biased" a whole lot of other people too. and he calls himself an attorney? ha!

He's the president! :rolleyes:

The president should NOT be making such judgmental statements against police officers in particular cases...It's beyond not wise in my opinion. He ended his speech with this statement, no less! I found it offensive.

The president should NOT be making such judgmental statements against police officers in particular cases...It's beyond not wise in my opinion. He ended his speech with this statement, no less! I found it offensive.
The Cambridge police officer did act stupidly. Regardless, I agree that Obama ought not to have cast any aspersions on the Cambridge Police Dept's conduct. I don't think it's going to cause race riots or anything that he did so.

The Cambridge police officer did act stupidly. Regardless, I agree that Obama ought not to have cast any aspersions on the Cambridge Police Dept's conduct. I don't think it's going to cause race riots or anything that he did so.

Fine if YOU want to shoot your mouth off with an opinion even though you weren't there and don't know all the facts either, but NOT fine for the president to do. :eusa_hand:

As for causing racial tension, we'll see just how well his foolish and inflammatory remarks go over. :doubt: My husband I both looked up at each other with dropped jaws as soon as the words came out of his mouth.

You're right. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't hear it for myself.

Oh, and fwiw, Obama has lost my vote forever... and my respect.

:lol: From the bozo that didn't blink an eye when Obama's campaign portrayed Hillary as a racist and in fact jumped right on that bandwagon.

:lol: From the bozo that didn't blink an eye when Obama's campaign portrayed Hillary as a racist and in fact jumped right on that bandwagon.

Even bozos can learn. ;)

Fine if YOU want to shoot your mouth off with an opinion even though you weren't there and don't know all the facts either, but NOT fine for the president to do. :eusa_hand:

As for causing racial tension, we'll see just how well his foolish and inflammatory remarks go over. :doubt: My husband I both looked up at each other with dropped jaws as soon as the words came out of his mouth.

Once Obama was asked the question, he was dammed if he answered it and dammed if he didn't.

I don't think saying the police acted stupidly, (which they did) is inflammatory. Especially considering what he said afterwards. Obama should remain neutral at this point, seeing as he is president.

I didn't go through all 20 pages so if this is a reprint sorry.

Here is a copy of the poiice report. From this it sounds like the guy was out for a fight from the very beginning.

He admits that his house has been broken into before and instead of being greatfull for a quick response time starts bitching to the officer.

Obama should not have commented since he didnt' have all the facts. If he did maybe he would have realized that one of those oppressed minorities backed up the first officers report. Guess that latino didn't get the memmo that whitey is always wrong.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Police Report - July 23, 2009

Forum List

Back