Has any conservative had this experience?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I wonder if any 'conservative' has ever had this experience when dealing with their fellow conservatives. When I complain that companies are being cheap for paying min wage for jobs I get told that is the free market. I totally agree with that that the market determines wages but it is complete lie when companies say they can't afford to pay their people anymore money when in fact they have millions coming in. The truth is is that they just don't want to part with one more red cent to pay their people more money. It pisses me off when companies are that cheap because I have worked some of these jobs. I wish people would stop accepting that bullshit line and just simply not work for those companies. They might tell them they are making like 1% profit (total fuckin lie because no one works for 1% profit) but the truth is a quite different.

The minute you make that complaint you are accused of being a 'liberal' which can't be true because 'liberals' won't accept you either. It is like their is some great no man's land somewhere where no one is pure enough to be in either party so they stay away from either party. I just wonder if any working class republican has had this experience?

I wonder if any 'conservative' has ever had this experience when dealing with their fellow conservatives. When I complain that companies are being cheap for paying min wage for jobs I get told that is the free market. I totally agree with that that the market determines wages but it is complete lie when companies say they can't afford to pay their people anymore money when in fact they have millions coming in. The truth is is that they just don't want to part with one more red cent to pay their people more money. It pisses me off when companies are that cheap because I have worked some of these jobs. I wish people would stop accepting that bullshit line and just simply not work for those companies. They might tell them they are making like 1% profit (total fuckin lie because no one works for 1% profit) but the truth is a quite different.

The minute you make that complaint you are accused of being a 'liberal' which can't be true because 'liberals' won't accept you either. It is like their is some great no man's land somewhere where no one is pure enough to be in either party so they stay away from either party. I just wonder if any working class republican has had this experience?

The truth is is that they just don't want to part with one more red cent to pay their people more money.

Companies should pay low skilled workers more than the market wage to be nice? Because they make a profit?

"Companies" are not in business to be fair, or nice, or kind, or compassionate. They are in business to make money. Thus, when spending the company's money, they are COMPELLED to spend it wisely. If they do otherwise, they are breaching their fiduciary duty to the owners of the company (usually, the stockholders).

If any commodity is available at a low, market price (assuming the specifications, quality, durability, etc are confirmed), then there is seldom any justification for paying a higher price. Indeed, a Purchasing Agent who pays more than necessary for commodities risks losing her job.

And into this discussion, what is the relevance of saying, "But the company could AFFORD to pay more for the commodity!"? The observation is absurd, just as it would be in a matter of personal finance. Why buy these towels at Walmart for $20, when I could AFFORD to pay $60 for the same towels at Macy's? It is absurd (which is not to deny that some people pay $2 for a cup of coffee at Starbuck's - also absurd).

And so if a company can hire, say, a recent college grad for $40k to service PC's in its offices, why would it pay her more than that?

The only time when the argument comes down to what a company can "afford" to pay is a competitive situation - often during union contract negotiations - where the company requires a certain cost structure in order to remain competitive, and can't "afford" to pay its workers more than the competitor pays its workers - otherwise it will go out of business.

And THIS is why collective bargaining is totally inappropriate in the public sector. At no point can the management negotiator say, "this is all we can AFFORD to pay you," because the union negotiator can always respond, "just raise taxes, and if you don't we will campaign against you and you will be out of your cushy job!"

I wonder if any 'conservative' has ever had this experience when dealing with their fellow conservatives. When I complain that companies are being cheap for paying min wage for jobs I get told that is the free market. I totally agree with that that the market determines wages but it is complete lie when companies say they can't afford to pay their people anymore money when in fact they have millions coming in. The truth is is that they just don't want to part with one more red cent to pay their people more money. It pisses me off when companies are that cheap because I have worked some of these jobs. I wish people would stop accepting that bulls••• line and just simply not work for those companies. They might tell them they are making like 1% profit (total f•••in lie because no one works for 1% profit) but the truth is a quite different.

You may be “conservative” on many points, but I think it's fair to say that the sort of economic ignorance on which your post is based is almost equivalent to modern liberalism.

"Companies" are not in business to be fair, or nice, or kind, or compassionate. They are in business to make money. Thus, when spending the company's money, they are COMPELLED to spend it wisely. If they do otherwise, they are breaching their fiduciary duty to the owners of the company (usually, the stockholders).

If any commodity is available at a low, market price (assuming the specifications, quality, durability, etc are confirmed), then there is seldom any justification for paying a higher price. Indeed, a Purchasing Agent who pays more than necessary for commodities risks losing her job.

And into this discussion, what is the relevance of saying, "But the company could AFFORD to pay more for the commodity!"? The observation is absurd, just as it would be in a matter of personal finance. Why buy these towels at Walmart for $20, when I could AFFORD to pay $60 for the same towels at Macy's? It is absurd (which is not to deny that some people pay $2 for a cup of coffee at Starbuck's - also absurd).

And so if a company can hire, say, a recent college grad for $40k to service PC's in its offices, why would it pay her more than that?

The only time when the argument comes down to what a company can "afford" to pay is a competitive situation - often during union contract negotiations - where the company requires a certain cost structure in order to remain competitive, and can't "afford" to pay its workers more than the competitor pays its workers - otherwise it will go out of business.

And THIS is why collective bargaining is totally inappropriate in the public sector. At no point can the management negotiator say, "this is all we can AFFORD to pay you," because the union negotiator can always respond, "just raise taxes, and if you don't we will campaign against you and you will be out of your cushy job!"

Your argument was used to fight against the 40 hour work week, and every other workers right ever enacted. An across the board change for everybody makes your argument moot.

If the free market says that a ditch digger is paid $8.00 per hour, then that is what he or she gets paid no matter how much profit the company is earning. Not a thing wrong with that.

but it is complete lie when companies say they can't afford to pay their people anymore money

You have links to back this up?

Like 90% of the company's in the U.S. they are paying you what the market can bear.

Forum List

Back