Has anyone taken a long (over 500 miles) road trip in an EV?

LA has been having smog since the 40's because of it's mountain range which traps the atmosphere. EV regs took the color out of it but, it's still there a recent as 2020.
but EVs would reduce what there is that you cant see,, if not eliminate it,,,

that cant be disputed,,

all I am saying in some contexts they are a superior to ICE,,

only if youre intent is to take long trips,, and as I explained, with the right context and preparation they are far better,,

another example is think about 1970s los angeles with all their smog,,
if most people had solar panels and evs for local use their smog problem wouldnt have existed,,
I would agree, electric in the city traffic makes sense. But I would also have to acknowledge that it makes more sense to have an overheard electrical line, or a rail in the road, for electricity.

All major streets and all the freeways should have an electric rail so when you sit in traffic you can run air conditioning and entertainment from electricity.

It makes no sense to depend on a giant battery, that is technically thousands of batteries wired together.

Hybrid cars, gas and electric.

Of course, a huge problem in southern california is the commute. Time to build 50 story high condominiums so that people can live close to where they work. Then there is no need to do anything in regards to transportation.

I'm just curious if any EV owner has taken a 500 mile or more car trip somewhere, and if so, how it went.

Nope. But an acquaintance of mine owns a Tesla and we raced from Reno to Phoenix for a gunshow a few years ago.

He would leave us in the dust but we caught up to him in Hawthorne, Tonopah, and Beatty as he topped up on juice. But then he had to stay the night in Las Vegas while we continued on into Phoenix.

He arrived 13 hours after us.

but EVs would reduce what there is that you cant see,, if not eliminate it,,,

that cant be disputed,,

all I am saying in some contexts they are a superior to ICE,,
I have stated in other threads that we should have a 50 year plan to GRADUALLY bring on alternative energy as the technology matures and the fossil fuel reserves begin to dwindle. Currently EV technology is very inefficient requiring enormous amounts of rare toxic metals. The power grids also need to be upgraded to handle the charging load. Why does it ALL have to be EV? What about hyrdrogen fuel cells?

I have stated in other threads that we should have a 50 year plan to GRADUALLY bring on alternative energy as the technology matures and the fossil fuel reserves begin to dwindle. Currently EV technology is very inefficient requiring enormous amounts of rare toxic metals. The power grids also need to be upgraded to handle the charging load. Why does it ALL have to be EV? What about hyrdrogen fuel cells?
sounds like a good plan that we are already twenty yrs into,,

I like hydrogen,,

I guess I don't see the long range planning. Where is the build out of the grid infrastructure that should precede the deployment of the EV cars?
they didnt put up all the cell towers before cell phones went on sale,, it happened in stages as money came in tp pay for it,,

when I got my first one I could barely get out of town calls,, now I can call someone in europe with no problem and no extra cost

I saw a demo of a hydrogen vehicle in 1990. I was blown away when the engineer demonstrating the vehicle put a glass under the exhaust pipe, collected the "emissions" a.k.a water and drank it.
glen back had ford loan him one in the early 2000's for a few weeks and he loved it,, the only problem was the same thing with EVs right now,, getting the fuel,,

they didnt put up all the cell towers before cell phones went on sale,, it happened in stages as money came in tp pay for it,,

when I got my first one I could barely get out of town calls,, now I can call someone in europe with no problem and no extra cost

There's a HUGE difference between a cell tower, and a power plant. If your dream of an EV in every garage happened in even 10 years, there would be no electricity to power them.

Or anything else for that matter.

There's a HUGE difference between a cell tower, and a power plant. If your dream of an EV in every garage happened in even 10 years, there would be no electricity to power them.

Or anything else for that matter.
yeah ,, charging stations are easier to build,,

I dint have a dream of an EV in every garage,, in some areas they dont makes sense,, but in some they make a lot of sense,,

Y
Yes, hydrogen is the fuel of the future.

Making it economically is what we should be spending money on now.
I saw a documentary of an old guy collecting hydrogen at his house and storing it in old propane tanks and fueling his cars with it,,

might try to find it later,,

Power service interruption means people freeze or boil in their houses.

Forum List

Back