Has anyone tried the battery operated lawn mowers yet?

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
My old gas-powered mower that I've been beating up for the past 14 years is showing signs of nearing the end of its life. I could drop it off and have it rebuilt but I noticed that my neighbor has been using this cordless mower.
He says he wishes he never bought it but from what I can see it does a good job. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.

Me and my coworker were just talking about his the other day.
He likes it, but if you go that route, dont go cheap. Get a powerful one. Because its easy to bog the cheap ones down.
The convenience factor is awesome.

My old gas-powered mower that I've been beating up for the past 14 years is showing signs of nearing the end of its life. I could drop it off and have it rebuilt but I noticed that my neighbor has been using this cordless mower.
He says he wishes he never bought it but from what I can see it does a good job. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.
if you live on a small putting green , go for it.

otherwise, get a teenager to rebuild that briggs and stratton 3.5 and while he's at it push the mower around the yard.

I must confess that I am not a fan of battery powered equipment. Over the years I have purchased many hand tools---no lawn mowers. My complaint is that when the batteries eventually fail, it is difficult (impossible in my experience) to find compatible replacements and the entire tool must be replaced.

I must confess that I am not a fan of battery powered equipment. Over the years I have purchased many hand tools---no lawn mowers. My complaint is that when the batteries eventually fail, it is difficult (impossible in my experience) to find compatible replacements and the entire tool must be replaced.
Yes I've had that experience.

I bought an Ego last year

1718400942752.jpeg

It does a great job and is fast and lightweight
Quiet

Only drawbacks I have seen is I don’t think it edges as well as my old mower and with high grass, sometimes the blades lay down as you pass over them.

But I grew tired of the gas powered mower, bad gas, clogged filters, fouled plugs, won’t run for some reason

Last edited:

Quiet

Only drawbacks I have seen is I don’t think it edges as well as my old mower and with high grass, sometimes the blades lay down as you pass over them.

But I grew tired of the gas powered mower, bad gas, clogged filters, fouled plugs, won’t run for some reason
Thanks for the input

I've been running mine for 5 years now, and it works okay if you don't have much of a yard to mow. Depending on the height of the grass, I usually get about 30 minutes before it runs out of power and has to be recharged. LOL, about the same as me. It's a cheapie model though, but it's lighter and easier to push.

i have a big box box of old tools with dead batteries. just threw away an old black and decker 18 v xo i'm down to one of them. too expensive to replace.

i'm about to buy a milwaukee staple gun (my corded arrow t 50 seems jammed up.) how are their batteries?

I have three Riyobi cordless mowers. I am very happy with them and would buy them again, but they are significantly more expensive to purchase then gas and do not have as much power. I have found their battery endurance impressive. They have never failed to operate and considering the low number of moving part and the lack of ignition or fuel distribution systems, it is unlikely they ever will. Spare batteries (online) are quite reasonable and I've been very happy with off-brands I've bought. They are quieter, lighter, have full torque at start up and adjust their own power for varying loads. Their light weight allows a mehanism whereby the height of all four wheels is adjusted by a single lever. There is no gasoline to deal with and so no exhaust or hot mufflers. There is no pull-cord. Besides these mowers I have two battery weed-whackers (Ego brand), several B&D battery blowers and an AC-powered edger. I am happy with all of them but my needs and my expectations may not be yours.

i have a big box box of old tools with dead batteries. just threw away an old black and decker 18 v xo i'm down to one of them. too expensive to replace.

i'm about to buy a milwaukee staple gun (my corded arrow t 50 seems jammed up.) how are their batteries?
I had a Milwaukee screw driver that I bought many years ago based solely on the brand reputation--I am a Milwaukee tools fan. The battery failed and I was left with a useless tool. LOL, maybe I could find a suitable transformer plug and wire it direct--as long as I was in close proximity to an outlet, I could see that as an option.

Quiet

I have an EGO too and love it.

Not feeling bad about maintaining a gas o e.

I have three Riyobi cordless mowers. I am very happy with them and would buy them again, but they are significantly more expensive to purchase then gas and do not have as much power. I have found their battery endurance impressive. They have never failed to operate and considering the low number of moving part and the lack of ignition or fuel distribution systems, it is unlikely they ever will. Spare batteries (online) are quite reasonable and I've been very happy with off-brands I've bought. They are quieter, lighter, have full torque at start up and adjust their own power for varying loads. Their light weight allows a mehanism whereby the height of all four wheels is adjusted by a single lever. There is no gasoline to deal with and so no exhaust or hot mufflers. There is no pull-cord. Besides these mowers I have two battery weed-whackers (Ego brand), several B&D battery blowers and an AC-powered edger. I am happy with all of them but my needs and my expectations may not be yours.
I have ONE mower, ONE blower, ONE weed eater and ONE chain saw. They are all over ten years old and work as well as the day I bought them. Proper care and maintenance is a tool's best friend.

I've been using corded electric mowers and trimmers for a long time and will never go with the battery rip offs nor will I be going back to the hassles of gas powered mowers for the yard; still need a tractor and dragline for the back 20 acres. I hate screwing with the gas powered ones every spring, with the plugs, yanking on the pulley, keeping it oiled, etc.

I bought a cheapo $79 small electric from Ollie's that is super light, not very wide just for the front yard because it has a sharp slope over a third of it and my tractor would tip over if I tried to use it fo rthe front yard. I'm in my third season with it and it still works fine, paid for itself the first summer. 'summer' here is 6 to 10 months, depending on the weather patterns. So, don't be afraid to get an electric mower, and extension cords are a hassle but not near;y as much of a hassle as fighting with gas mowers all the time, dealing wit fuel, oil, fouled plugs, smoke, etc.

My neighbor sneered at my electric, thinks he's a 'manly man' or something for using a gasser, so now, every time I see him out in his yard cranking on his manly man 6 hp gas piece of shit about 30 times and playing with the choke I carry mine out of the shed using the handy handle over the deck, plug in a 100' extension cord and stand there starting and stopping mine just by pushing a button on and off over and over and over, lol drives him insane.

Last edited:
Why I'm buying Dewalt when My mower fails

I've seen them in action but not used one.

Presuming you're discussing the "Roomba" mowers

Seems a good idea but, given the cost of a top end unit, I'd wait till they've been in service a while to gage effect and long term reliability.

Low end units at this time don't seem to have the reliability I would want at that price point and given they're only good for relatively small, open, flat properties, the 20 minutes it would take with a used self propelled gas mower costing $75 to mow such a small property doesn't seem worth the risk.

and for $5k
The damn thing better mulch, rake, bag, and plug itself in.

My complaint is that when the batteries eventually fail, it is difficult (impossible in my experience) to find compatible replacements and the entire tool must be replaced.

^^^This. The stores love charging 2-3 times more for a battery driven and then dinging you for expensive brand specific batteries a couple years later, instead of a 50' to 100' extension cord and a corded mower for a third to half the price.

Forum List

Back