Has the Republican Party hit bottom?

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
When will the adults take back the Republican Party? This board seems to be mostly populated by Libertarians, Democrats and anti Democrats; few admit to being a Republican and even the Tea Party types eschew the GOP.

Is this a reflection on the 'leadership' (Boehner and McConnell) and once they have been disposed of the Republican Party will once again have wide appeal? Or has the GOP more room to fall and will soon be replaced?

See this link from another thread for reason why the Republican Party may have more room to fall.

The GOP's clueless caucus - Alexander Burns and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

I think they cracked the bottom a while back. Regardless of how low Obama sinks, the Republicans are still looking up! :D

You realize the adults are the ones in the party who arent trying to just make us Democrats, right?

I think they cracked the bottom a while back. Regardless of how low Obama sinks, the Republicans are still looking up! :D

Enjoy yourselves, Democrats, but remember that politics is highly cyclical. Try to remember that the Republican party of today is no more in the dumps than the Democratic party was in 1998. Rejoice in the fact that whites will soon be a minority, but remember that when that happens, you can also say goodbye to literature, music, technology (well, maybe not technology) that white people created. Enjoy yourself, while you may.

The GOP control the house, has 45 senators, 30 govenors and almost 1/2 of the state legislatures.

When the sticker shock of Obama care kicks in (along with a few other issues) 2014 may turn out to be 2010 on steroids.

When will the adults take back the Republican Party? This board seems to be mostly populated by Libertarians, Democrats and anti Democrats; few admit to being a Republican and even the Tea Party types eschew the GOP.

I think that the problem the Republican Party has is deeper and essentially insoluble in the sense that it is easier to start a new party than to rehabilitate the existing Republican Party. As many folks have commented, the Republican Party is composed of several major constituencies that have incompatible goals. Each of these groups brings either money, votes, or organizational power which Republicans think is necessary to contest elections. While Democrats seem to have found ways to coexist, Republicans tend to be more interested in controlling the party than in winning elections. That's a lethal and self-fulfilling stance for any electoral party.

There is a tie-in between the this development and the ability of a minority to shut down the Senate. For a range of Republicans, gridlock is an acceptable outcome. If you only need 41 Senate votes (or less if you can count on a few "moderate" Democrats on given issues) to block legislation, the bar is so low that you really don't have to be competitive in national elections, you just need to be able to hold onto a core of red states. This is a self-reinforcing system, because when you are in the minority, you feel you have no obligation to govern and thus don't have to compromise.

There is no strategy for voters in California and New York to elect a senator in Idaho. If the GOP is content to sit on a number of red state Senate seats and be obstructionist, there is little progressives can do without major structural changes. The two most obvious are changing the Senate rules and the Interstate Compact for Presidential elections. Both have major drawbacks and don't have universal support even among democrats.

So I don't see any real change until Republican "moderates" (better called pragmatists who want to participate in governing) are successful in either suppressing spoilers like Akin or abandon the GOP to the radicals and form a new party with conservative Democrats. This may be more sensitive to how successful Democrats are in maintaining cohesion themselves than anything inside the GOP. I'd keep an eye out for the development of a "Purple State Party"!

Enjoy yourselves, Democrats, but remember that politics is highly cyclical. Try to remember that the Republican party of today is no more in the dumps than the Democratic party was in 1998. Rejoice in the fact that whites will soon be a minority, but remember that when that happens, you can also say goodbye to literature, music, technology (well, maybe not technology) that white people created. Enjoy yourself, while you may.

Here we have the reason why the bottom cracked and the downward spiral isn't likely to end soon! :lol:

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children."

Is it your opinion that white children should have no future?

Is it your opinion that white children should have no future?

You're not very good at spotting sarcasm, are you? :lol:

I remember the Rs posing this same question a few years ago and of course the dems came back fully inept. I expect the Rs to come back fully inept also. They're already there.

Is this a reflection on the 'leadership' (Boehner and McConnell) and once they have been disposed of the Republican Party will once again have wide appeal? Or has the GOP more room to fall and will soon be replaced?

See this link from another thread for reason why the Republican Party may have more room to fall.

The GOP's clueless caucus - Alexander Burns and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com
It is a reflection that the GOP is more liberal than conservative. But the revolution in taking back the GOP is a long one and not even close to being over. When the GOP once again moves toward actual reduction in government and a restoration of liberty to the individual, I may think about returning. As it stands, simply blocking liberals (while worthwhile) isn't leadership.

BTW...we'll know when the GOP hits bottom. The democrats will all go..."Oooommppphhhh!"

Forum List

Back