Have The Videos Given You Pause?

.should cops write better laws?

God, you are fucking daft

The answer is NO
Then, using that logic, cops,are not the problem....so why target them as you did?

You're not using logic. If the police were following the laws, the shootings wouldn't happen. The laws aren't the problem, the manner in which they are selectively enforced is the problem, and the fact that the police are breaking the laws in the dealings with people of colour.

.should cops write better laws?

God, you are fucking daft

The answer is NO
Then, using that logic, cops,are not the problem....so why target them as you did?

You're not using logic. If the police were following the laws, the shootings wouldn't happen. The laws aren't the problem, the manner in which they are selectively enforced is the problem, and the fact that the police are breaking the laws in the dealings with people of colour.
Link?

I think these shootings have always been with us
The difference is everything is on video. Cops video every stop. Pedestrians have a video camera in their pocket. Local merchants have video surveillance cameras. Everything is online within minutes

Cops have a tough job. They make a decision within split seconds. Some are good at it, others are in over their heads. I don't think it is racism as much as fear of the situation. Once a cop fires, the decision stays with them the rest of their lives. A mistake gets broadcast around the country and you are labeled a "killer cop"

If it's just "fear of the situation", why is it that unarmed black people get shot far more often than unarmed white people? Are the police pulling their guns for every traffic stop when a white person is pulled over. That poor man with the broken down car. I've had highway breakdowns before. The cops didn't approach me or the car with weapons drawn.

It seems that when the member of the public is black, the police shoot to kill first and then ask questions later. If it's fear of black men, then yes, it's racism.

The difference is everything is on video. Cops video every stop. Pedestrians have a video camera in their pocket. Local merchants have video surveillance cameras. Everything is online within minutes

Cops have a tough job. They make a decision within split seconds. Some are good at it, others are in over their heads. I don't think it is racism as much as fear of the situation. Once a cop fires, the decision stays with them the rest of their lives. A mistake gets broadcast around the country and you are labeled a "killer cop"

If it's just "fear of the situation", why is it that unarmed black people get shot far more often than unarmed white people? Are the police pulling their guns for every traffic stop when a white person is pulled over. That poor man with the broken down car. I've had highway breakdowns before. The cops didn't approach me or the car with weapons drawn.

It seems that when the member of the public is black, the police shoot to kill first and then ask questions later. If it's fear of black men, then yes, it's racism.

I think it is fear of black men

Pull over a group of church ladies and its all smiles and jokes. Pull over a car full of young black males and they have their gun at the ready

You just claimed that all laws are unjust.

All laws are unjust because the abstract conceptualization of the established law is in open contradiction to the legitimate natural law.

Under a number of philosophical theories the established law is also unjust. Foremost being that they are established by a select minority ruling class, and enforced on a greater population with or without their consent. This objectifies all humans outside the ruling class as being little more than slaves.

The established law is morally unjust because it conditions a society with chaos and disorder, where non-issues are turned into big issues, and individuals are harassed and attacked for committing victimless personal offenses.

While the above may not include laws against physical violence, those laws are unjust as well. They provide the basis in which the state has a monopoly on force. This is widely considered to be philosophically unjust. Their existence also legitimizes the validity of laws making victimless offenses into crimes, which is an affront to liberty and freedom.

It is not my job to support you claim. It is yours to prove it.

False.

I do not work for you.

I will voluntarily provide argumentative material in which you can choose to respond. You can opt out by fucking off.

Most cops are good, but it only takes a small percentage of bad ones to destroy the trust that cops and citizens need for our system to work. Instead of becoming more militant and confrontational, they should police their own to bring some sanity back into the situation.
they do police their own.

how do you not know this?

Pull over a group of church ladies and its all smiles and jokes. Pull over a car full of young black males and they have their gun at the ready
that's an assumption based on ignorance.

higgs.png
please list the laws you think are unjust or cruel.

since I'm sure no one demanded he support his claim, you will need to think for yourself

I think the problem is that the videos just prove what black folks have known has been going on all along.

It's just we are seeing more documentation of it

What is needed is a lot of reform of the way police departments are trained. Going for your gun should not be the first response.
and it isn't, but you're a liar, so no one expects more

All of them

Do you believe there are unjust laws? If so, then you validate the argument of Robert Higgs.

since I'm sure no one demanded he support his claim, you will need to think for yourself

Read the thread.

This is not an original argument. I have refuted it many times before entering this thread.

Do tell....

You just claimed that all laws are unjust.

All laws are unjust because the abstract conceptualization of the established law is in open contradiction to the legitimate natural law.

Under a number of philosophical theories the established law is also unjust. Foremost being that they are established by a select minority ruling class, and enforced on a greater population with or without their consent. This objectifies all humans outside the ruling class as being little more than slaves.

The established law is morally unjust because it conditions a society with chaos and disorder, where non-issues are turned into big issues, and individuals are harassed and attacked for committing victimless personal offenses.

While the above may not include laws against physical violence, those laws are unjust as well. They provide the basis in which the state has a monopoly on force. This is widely considered to be philosophically unjust. Their existence also legitimizes the validity of laws making victimless offenses into crimes, which is an affront to liberty and freedom.

It is not my job to support you claim. It is yours to prove it.

False.

I do not work for you.

I will voluntarily provide argumentative material in which you can choose to respond. You can opt out by fucking off.

Obvious from the start you're an ass.
Goodbye

I'm a liberal guy who has.....since I was a teenager....known that our criminal justice system doesn't deliver justice in a fair and equitable manner. Still.....I never thought that most or even a significant number of police shootings were things that needed to be more vigorously questioned. When I heard of a police shooting, my first reaction was that it was a good shoot.

I've got several law enforcement professionals in my family...including my son....and I know for a fact that the the profession is not rife with vile racists and bigots.

However, since we have so much caught on video these days...and we see that unarmed men are being shot or killed by law enforcement officers, I've learned to wait for evidence before making the judgment. I am now aware that the odds of a bad shoot are much higher than I ever imagined.

I wonder if any other USMB members have undergone a similar change in thought?

Black people were killed by police at more than twice the rate of white people in 2015

Despite the higher total number of white people killed, black people were more likely to die at the hands of law enforcement when adjusting for population (per one million).

Percent per millionl
7.13 Black3.48 Hispanic/Latino3.4 Native American2.91 White1.34 Asian/Pacific Islander
SOURCE: The Counted, 1 Jan - 31 Dec 20

All of them

Read the thread, and you will find what you seek.

This is not an original argument. I have refuted it many times before entering this thread.
so enforcing rape, murder, assault, theft, spouse abuse laws are unjust and cruel.

or did you not think for yourself when you posted that?

Do tell....
took a short training course that police go through, it teaches them to not make assumptions or they will get killed.

so enforcing rape, murder, assault, theft, spouse abuse laws are unjust and cruel.

It is the piece of paper that is the problem, and those that adhere to a code of operating under the pretense of what is written on those pieces of paper.

There is nothing wrong with putting a bullet in the head of a rapist or violent aggressor.

On the contrary, there is something very wrong about electing yourself to serve a machine system of injustice and cruelty

or did you not think for yourself when you posted that?

The very fact that I am not a partisan hack shows I think for myself.

You are the one who will vote for rulers to do the thinking for you.

Do tell....
took a short training course that police go through, it teaches them to not make assumptions or they will get killed.

And they ignore it once they get into the field

You don't see them drawing their weapons on a bunch of church ladies

Forum List

Back