Have The Videos Given You Pause?

Not even video recordings make them accept that blacks aren't just making it up. The police and media has convinced everyone that videos aren't to be trusted in cases where cops shoot someone....all other videos are trustworthy.

And waiting for an investigation that results in a 98% chance of walking is saying "hey, you have a whole 2% chance of getting justice. Let the fair system work."

That's like betting your home on the Eagles winning the Superbowl. Lol
Now that DOJ is doing investigations when there are serious questions, don't you have any hope that the investigations will be more trustworthy?

No, not when the system hasn't changed. Am I'm not just saying that...I'll bet anyone there will be no indictment
In which case? That cop in Oklahoma will be handing in her badge, I'm pretty sure.

I'm a liberal guy who has.....since I was a teenager....known that our criminal justice system doesn't deliver justice in a fair and equitable manner. Still.....I never thought that most or even a significant number of police shootings were things that needed to be more vigorously questioned. When I heard of a police shooting, my first reaction was that it was a good shoot.

I've got several law enforcement professionals in my family...including my son....and I know for a fact that the the profession is not rife with vile racists and bigots.

However, since we have so much caught on video these days...and we see that unarmed men are being shot or killed by law enforcement officers, I've learned to wait for evidence before making the judgment. I am now aware that the odds of a bad shoot are much higher than I ever imagined.

I wonder if any other USMB members have undergone a similar change in thought?
Since the government is shooting innocents what we need is bigger and more powerful government! Doncha love leftist logic?

It's the law of unintended consequences. We're pulling people over, stopping people for more and more things. This is what you get with intrusive government. And these are the eventual results.

Sad. Yet Lefties bitch and whine while all the while demanding more of it. They're completely bonkers.
Can't pull anyone over if they are not breaking the law. So what you're saying is more and more people are breaking the law, and that I agree.

FYI - the Tulsa man parked his car in the middle of the street and ran out saying his car was going to blow up.

More laws to be pulled over for. Looka, I admit, this one's bizarre. Looks very damning.

Not even video recordings make them accept that blacks aren't just making it up. The police and media has convinced everyone that videos aren't to be trusted in cases where cops shoot someone....all other videos are trustworthy.

And waiting for an investigation that results in a 98% chance of walking is saying "hey, you have a whole 2% chance of getting justice. Let the fair system work."

Now that DOJ is doing investigations when there are serious questions, don't you have any hope that the investigations will be more trustworthy?
The DoJ has been doing investigations all along. The first was in Ferguson while Obama and Holder were howling about how the local and state governments were too corrupt to be trusted and the DoJ investigation concluded the officer acted properly, but not before the cop's life had been destroyed by two raging bigots, Obama and Holder.

To date, 790 people have been killed by police in 2016. 387 white, 194 black.

Here's the monthly breakdown of shootings by unarmed and race.

unarmed white
Jan 8/87
feb 9/100
mar 9/100
apr 10/83
may 7/86
june 5/98
jul 4/84
aug 10/93
sept 3/59

unarmed black
jan 0/87
feb 7/100
mar 3/100
apr 6/83
may 6/86
jun 3/98
jul 4/94
aug 3/93
sept 1/59

The Counted: people killed by police in the United States – interactive

More unarmed whites have been killed by cops each month, Jan 2016 to date, than blacks.

Are there whites riots going on in protest? I haven't heard of any.

I'm a liberal guy who has.....since I was a teenager....known that our criminal justice system doesn't deliver justice in a fair and equitable manner. Still.....I never thought that most or even a significant number of police shootings were things that needed to be more vigorously questioned. When I heard of a police shooting, my first reaction was that it was a good shoot.

I've got several law enforcement professionals in my family...including my son....and I know for a fact that the the profession is not rife with vile racists and bigots.

However, since we have so much caught on video these days...and we see that unarmed men are being shot or killed by law enforcement officers, I've learned to wait for evidence before making the judgment. I am now aware that the odds of a bad shoot are much higher than I ever imagined.

Since nearly every investigation, local, state and federal, has exonerated the officers in these shootings, it suggests you were smarter and more objective when you were young than you are now.

He was convinced of the "odds" based on random videos, he's not exactly intellectually rigorous.

Cops should be given some leeway in that they are voluntarily going into dangerous situations with criminals who are amped up on things like heroin. On the other hand, there are bad shootings and those cops should be accountable.

All shootings should be thoroughly investigated to get at the truth. I'm not insinuating you're saying anything different.

The problem now with the left is

1) If a white shot shoots a black kid, it was a bad shooting right there

2) If you don't see that, you're a racist

It's the intellectual capacity of today's American left

Not always....many of these shootings are on video and it is obvious what threat the victim was presenting

The outrage comes at the increasing number of shootings of unarmed black men who do not seem to be a threat. In the past, there was no video and these shootings were blamed on the victim. With video, it becomes more obvious whether the victim was attacking or was under control of the police
Yet nearly all the investigations, local, state and federal find the officers acted properly, so it is clear there is no objective basis for the outrage Obama, Holder and Clinton have been encouraging.

I always admire the courage of a liberal who decides to come out and through intense soul searching admit you have come to realize the left is right ...

What's wrong with your argument is you're saying a few shootings that got on TV convinced you of the "odds." Yet you provided zero statistical data to back up the "odds."

What I will agree with you on is that I like that all these shootings are being filmed. Dirty cops should face the consequences of their crimes. But investigations should be fair, not witch hunts as the Democrats insist on pursuing
I think we should restrict the information that can be broadcast prior to an investigation and findings. I don't know how that can be done on social media, but it is pretty insane that all the tv news is broadcasting the evidence they may need in a criminal case. We Americans insist on too much information too soon. Nosy busybodies, imo.

Why should the government be able to cover up crimes?
I didn't say cover up. I said we could stand to wait instead of playing half-baked "investigators" and "judges" and "lawyers" without half the information necessary. Government should have a certain amount of time to complete an investigation--two weeks, a month, whatever is reasonable--and release the results to the public.

So in your fantasy world, government will only cover it up as long as necessary? You didn't say "cover up," but that's the result. The American government should never be prevented from disclosure to the American public, that's a huge step in enabling tyranny
Read my posts again. I didn't say they should not disclose the facts.

You didn't?

OldLady: "I think we should restrict the information that can be broadcast prior to an investigation and findings"

OldLady: "Government should have a certain amount of time to complete an investigation--two weeks, a month, whatever is reasonable--and release the results to the public"

I understand what you're saying in your mind. But the idea that government will be "reasonable" is a delusion. When you give them the ability to cover up, it'll never end. You make it sound like you think government cares about providing information to the public and truth. That's just a delusion in your mind unsupported by all empirical data.

Government needs to be checked by the people, and we require free flowing information to do that. Sure, government can investigate their own findings before disclosing that information, but government should never be able to restrict American citizens from releasing their own videos or any other information they have

May I ask what changed your mind? Is there any statistics to support the change, or is it just the video clips?

unarmed white
Jan 8/87
feb 9/100
mar 9/100
apr 10/83
may 7/86
june 5/98
jul 4/84
aug 10/93
sept 3/59

unarmed black
jan 0/87
feb 7/100
mar 3/100
apr 6/83
may 6/86
jun 3/98
jul 4/94
aug 3/93
sept 1/59

More unarmed whites have been killed by cops each month, Jan 2016 to date, than blacks.

Blacks also commit disproportionately more crimes and murders than whites. Blacks do disproportionately more drugs. There are a lot of factors, trying to boil it down to "race" is intellectually pedestrian and partisan driven

May I ask what changed your mind? Is there any statistics to support the change, or is it just the video clips?

Great question, all he cited were the video clips, which is a purely anecdotal argument from which he drew a statistical conclusion which is "odds."

I do think all the video tape is a great thing. Without that, it's really hard to know and it's hard not to give the benefit of the doubt to a cop risking his life without clear evidence it was a dirty shooting. Hopefully that risk has all cops more careful before pulling the trigger.

However, there are far more good shootings than bad ones and you're bang on he can't draw statistical conclusions from random filming of a few shootings

Can you quantify those odds...I need numbers.

unarmed white
Jan 8/87
feb 9/100
mar 9/100
apr 10/83
may 7/86
june 5/98
jul 4/84
aug 10/93
sept 3/59

unarmed black
jan 0/87
feb 7/100
mar 3/100
apr 6/83
may 6/86
jun 3/98
jul 4/94
aug 3/93
sept 1/59

Blacks also commit disproportionately more crimes and murders than whites. Blacks do disproportionately more drugs. There are a lot of factors, trying to boil it down to "race" is intellectually pedestrian and partisan driven

Because they have children and abandon them at a disproportionate share. They leave them to be raised by the local gang bangers and then express surprise that they commit crime at such a high rate.

Since the government is shooting innocents what we need is bigger and more powerful government! Doncha love leftist logic?

It's the law of unintended consequences. We're pulling people over, stopping people for more and more things. This is what you get with intrusive government. And these are the eventual results.

Sad. Yet Lefties bitch and whine while all the while demanding more of it. They're completely bonkers.
Can't pull anyone over if they are not breaking the law. So what you're saying is more and more people are breaking the law, and that I agree.

FYI - the Tulsa man parked his car in the middle of the street and ran out saying his car was going to blow up.

More laws to be pulled over for. Looka, I admit, this one's bizarre. Looks very damning.
Yes, more laws. It's why government must be limited more, not people.

image.jpeg

No, not when the system hasn't changed. Am I'm not just saying that...I'll bet anyone there will be no indictment
In which case? That cop in Oklahoma will be handing in her badge, I'm pretty sure.

Probably, but she won't face any jail time and that's a bet.

Yeah, and like Ferguson, a good cop loses their career for doing the right thing and the message sent to every cop - don't protect yourself.

Black cop shoots armed black man is racist how?

I have yet to see anyone shot while complying with police instructions. Cops have families to go home to also.

I have yet to see anyone shot while complying with police instructions. Cops have families to go home to also.

It is amazing how a certain population thinks that disobeying lawfull orders by LEOs is a good thing to do.

It is amazing how a certain population thinks that disobeying lawfull orders by LEOs is a good thing to do.

It's not limited to certain populations, you ever watch Cops or Jail, all races can get really ignorant. You just have race pimps trying to make money and gain more political power when it happens to blacks. Those assholes in Charlotte last night trying to stop cars on the highway would have been mixed with the bug splatter on my grill if they stepped in front of me.

Forum List

Back